Vehicles in the DR..

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
to clarify, your client said the 5 year rule applies to everyone?

It seems that G was able to bring an older car using the residency provision. Could be that times/rules have changed since he did it.

Maybe G can clarify when he was able to do it. That may clear any confusion.
Times have changed.

I brought in a 15-passenger 2001 Econolone E350 in 2008. The latest "legal" year for importation at the time was 2002. I had to pay a 20% penalty to Adaunas. I was OK with that because the van was in excellent condition (still is.)

I inquired recently about paying the penalty for an older van once again, and was told that under no circumstances would that be possible, period, the vehicle would be confiscated at the port without any warning or questions.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Times have changed.

I brought in a 15-passenger 2001 Econolone E350 in 2008. The latest "legal" year for importation at the time was 2002. I had to pay a 20% penalty to Adaunas. I was OK with that because the van was in excellent condition (still is.)

I inquired recently about paying the penalty for an older van once again, and was told that under no circumstances would that be possible, period, the vehicle would be confiscated at the port without any warning or questions.

indeed

thanks for clarifying.

Jan 9, 2004

It seems that G was able to bring an older car using the residency provision. Could be that times/rules have changed since he did it.

Yes, it does......applies to everyone......as of this morning....it is still in effect......unless you are bringing in a classic or handicapped equipped vehicle.

That law has been in effect at least 6-7 years now.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Ha!

I know you mean well but to worry about damages to the environment because car emissions exactly at the same moment that coal plantas are being erected and operational is just as good of a mirage as anyone could have..........but dream we all could, no?

I guess it is a dream :)

I think it was Bob who mentioned seeing trucks with all that black smoke coming out of the back. Pollution is a big problem.

I just don't see why the gov't won't invest more into helping it's people with small low interest car loans and get these old cars out of circulation.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Yes, it does......applies to everyone......as of this morning....it is still in effect......unless you are bringing in a classic or handicapped equipped vehicle.

That law has been in effect at least 6-7 years now.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

that explains it then

thanks

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I also imported one older than 5 yrs under the residency provision, but that was long before the 5yr rule was in effect. believe that was enacted in 2007.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i did it in 2006 ..brought in my pampered 97 Probe..

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I guess it is a dream :)

I think it was Bob who mentioned seeing trucks with all that black smoke coming out of the back. Pollution is a big problem.

I just don't see why the gov't won't invest more into helping it's people with small low interest car loans and get these old cars out of circulation.

One thing I've noticed, every day there seems to be less of the black smoke belchers. That's not to say they don't exist any more, but there is definitely less than there used to be.

There are also less of the skeleton trucks. I know for a fact AMET are actively going after those guys on a regular basis. Also trucks with less than perfect lights.

I work in Haina, so I am surrounded by the guys every day, so you can say I have first hand experience.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I'm SOL.

This is from the DGA portal:

- El vehículo importado no debe pasar los 5 años establecidos por la Ley 147-00, Ley 12-01 y la Ley 04-07.

Jan 9, 2004
I'm SOL.

This is from the DGA portal:

- El vehículo importado no debe pasar los 5 años establecidos por la Ley 147-00, Ley 12-01 y la Ley 04-07.

Exactly.

See also Ley-168.

If people start relying on the outdated and incorrect information that was posted here......instead of checking first...........they could be in for a very costly experience.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A disastrous experience...

Shipping in is bad enough
shipping out must be worse.

What car is worth 2 shippings ??

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Cars and pick-up trucks are taxed heavily here. Reducing those taxes would help people to buy new ones... chuckle chuckle.... lol

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
or not

[video=youtube_share;iNQpU5xoz6U]https://youtu.be/iNQpU5xoz6U[/video]

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
In a way, I'm thankful that cars are expensive here.  If they were affordable, then your average uneducated Jose would hop off his moto and into a car.  There would be more chaos on the roads than there already is and the current road infrastructure could not cope with more four wheeled vehicles in lieu of two wheeled.

I know it's discrimination, but I don't care about your average uneducated Jose. I would prefer to be safer on the roads.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
looking at the video

The solution is to remove certain cars from the road

I am terrified that some car will fail - brakes, suspension , anything as it's coming towards me and crash into me...

I worry about al ot...

Like Prof Fate the Magnificent and Max in The Great Race

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
What about a personal car for Dominican Yorkers who want to go back to DR, do they still have to be subject to the five years law?
I have a 2006 Camry, a 2003 CRV and 2003 Caravan here in NC that are in much better condition than the average of cars in the DR.
That law is only to protect the economic interest of rich car dealers owners.

JJ

Apr 7, 2014
The only way to introduce newer vehicles is to slash import duties and the absurd "first registration" tax. The 18% is bad enough...
Remove the 5 year limit,
Exclude cars from entry with outgoing salvage or demolished titles, initial import tax based on engine displacement.

The Thermoquad Cowboy