Vehicles in the DR..

Jan 9, 2004
Remove the 5 year limit,
Exclude cars from entry with outgoing salvage or demolished titles, initial import tax based on engine displacement.

The Thermoquad Cowboy

Passenger vehicles with salvage titles are already excluded from entry......but reconstructed vehicle’s are allowed in after having been repaired and registered for one year prior to entry....and that are within the 5 year rule for import.

Taxes, which are 18% ITBIS and 17% First placa, are calculated based on the value of the vehicle.....which includes, year, make, model and engine displacement.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Taxes, which are 18% ITBIS and 17% First placa, are calculated based on the value of the vehicle.....which includes, year, make, model and engine displacement.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 
Same goes for transfer fees on domestic purchases.

I bought a car for RD$500,000 and DGII taxed it at RD$1,200,000, about RD$25,000 in transfer fees.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Same goes for transfer fees on domestic purchases.

I bought a car for RD$500,000 and DGII taxed it at RD$1,200,000, about RD$25,000 in transfer fees.

so you paid more in taxes than what you paid for the car?

Jan 9, 2004
so you paid more in taxes than what you paid for the car?

I will let him clarify.......but I think he meant he paid 500,000 pesos for the vehicle, but DGII gave it a value (for tax purposes) of 1,200,000....and he paid tax based on their value....not what he actually paid.

It raises an important point. Its not what you pay for it.........but what they value it at....and certain exceptions apply.....but only for dealers.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I will let him clarify.......but I think he meant he paid 500,000 pesos for the vehicle, but DGII gave it a value (for tax purposes) of 1,200,000....and he paid tax based on their value....not what he actually paid.

It raises an important point. Its not what you pay for it.........but what they value it at....and certain exceptions apply.....but only for dealers.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

gotcha

thanks

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
One of the points raised in the OP was a need to improve public transport.

Some may disagree, and I am glad to see a long time resident of the capital agrees in the related thread, but the extension of Line 2B of the Metro and the subsequent extensions plus the cable car connections will prove to be an excellent investment in the capital where almost one third of the population resides.

There is also a move to improve public transport corridors and planned elimination of public taxis on some routes.

For those that are on the ground it is clear that some sindicos working some of the corridors with public taxis are improving their fleet. Independecia has a fleet of relatively new Kias and the same applies on other corridors such as Nunez, Sarasota and Luperon. Sadly some of the old fleet abound and a pass by km 9 on Duarte is a hit miss affair trying to ensure those pieces of rust don't clip you.

Changing the duties will not happen. There are high import duties throughout the Caribbean and the cars in DR are valued accordingly so politically it would be chaos. Changing rules on importing second hand cars could happen.....there are too many imports of questionable quality.

The key to improving the quality of vehicles plying the roads has to lie with a reintroduction of the annual revista. But that needs suitable testing centres first and by all accounts that is what is happening with test centres being identified. How good they will be and how adverse to a propina is another matter. After all in a country with poor uptake on timely relicensing and low levels of those insurance and over reliance on imports of questionable heritage, all that matters is getting from A to B in most cases and Alpha Male syndrome in others.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
cars in the USA have catalytic converters to reduce pollution. if those things go bad, you have to replace them, or you cannot pass emissions tests. if a car with a cat converter is imported into the DR, and the cat stops working, there is no test to discover it, so the car just pollutes, undetected.

The more modern cars will not run once the catalytic converter fails and you will see a dash warning light - The older ones may start but they will run horrible because of exhaust restriction and you can remove the oxygen sensor from the exhaust pipe ahead of the converter to help a little - but that too will register a light and exhaust trouble code.
Owning an OBD II code reader, like Gorgon's Blue Driver, may be the best tool in your toolbox,

Jan 9, 2004
The more modern cars will not run once the catalytic converter fails and you will see a dash warning light - The older ones may start but they will run horrible because of exhaust restriction and you can remove the oxygen sensor from the exhaust pipe ahead of the converter to help a little - but that too will register a light and exhaust trouble code.
Owning an OBD II code reader, like Gorgon's Blue Driver, may be the best tool in your toolbox,

Wait till the tigres really catch on that those catalytic converters can be cutoff and sold for their precious metal content (platinum). While I imagine that some of the deportees from the US know of this....it has not become as widespread a problem in the DR as I thought it would be.

There will then be lots of straight pipe sold, as no one will likely replace the cat.....unless the car was bought new and is still under a factory warranty which could be voided......if the vehicle is operated without a cat.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Wait till the tigres really catch on that those catalytic converters can be cutoff and sold for their precious metal content (platinum). While I imagine that some of the deportees from the US know of this....it has not become as widespread a problem in the DR as I thought it would be.

There will then be lots of straight pipe sold, as no one will likely replace the cat.....unless the car was bought new and is still under a factory warranty which could be voided......if the vehicle is operated without a cat.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

More trouble than it's worth They are not pure Platinum but a mix of metals: mixture of platinum, palladium and rhodium and foreign made cars may have even less platinum.
You might get $60 bucks for an older one with high Platinum content after you cut the converter & remove it - and if there is a metal scrap recycler in DR who buys it

Jan 9, 2004
More trouble than it's worth They are not pure Platinum but a mix of metals: mixture of platinum, palladium and rhodium and foreign made cars may have even less platinum.
You might get $60 bucks for an older one with high Platinum content after you cut the converter & remove it - and if there is a metal scrap recycler in DR who buys it

The tigres found scrap metal dealers to buy the stolen manhole covers, bridge cables, and one of my favorites.......the metal fencing at one of the airports.

I am just amazed it did not/has not reached epidemic proportions.....but it has happened to two of my clients, one of which is a new car dealer in Santo Domingo. Perhaps the watchimen across the Island are doing their jobs...for the most part.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

May 4, 2018
I hardly ever see junker cars on the road here in Higüey other than old pickups selling produce and Haitians selling tap water by the five gallon bucket. The exception is on some Sundays when families pack up for outings.

You go to the La Sirena parking lot and the cars are all in great shape and immaculate inside. The car dealerships are loaded with HILUX Diesels and other big SUVs, most of them white. My brother and sister in laws have junkers, but they drive them less than fifty miles a month.

I don't doubt the first post on number of vehicles, but for miles driven around here it's mostly new vehicles.