What are people getting paid?

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
HOWMAR said:
I think you will find in many cases, extended family units sharing living expenses. You will see parent (or parents), grown children with their spouses and chlidren sharing living expenses and pooling income. It's not unusual to see 3 or 4 family units sharing a house or apartment.

Very good point. I forgot about that. :)

For example, I live with my brother and we split the rent, electricity/phone bill, etc.

Diablo

May 4, 2005
I have to live together with all family of my wife just because I dont have the luck of finding a good job!! And having all that experience!!
I dont meet the right persons here. That it is why it is so difficult to find a job!

Jan 21, 2006
Teacher, teaching English as a second Language in Private School in Santiago: RD$13,000 for 20 hours a week (4 hours a day 5 days a week)... however this was heavily negotiated.

A coworker was teaching Math/Science to 6th and 7th graders and only making RD$16,000 for 40 hours a week. She was the highest paid teacher at the school and had a Bachelors in Education from a United States University.

---------------
Boutique Manager in Santiago: RD$3500 + 5% Commission on Personal Sales (5 days a week - 8 hours a day)

Boutique Salesperson in Santiago: RD$3000 + 3% Commission on Personal Sales (6 days a week - 6 hours a day)
---------------
Cleaning Person for Business in Santiago: RD$1000 a month for 3 days a week. Normally 2 hours to finish the cleaning.

Cleaning Person for House in Santiago: RD$2000 a month for 2 days a week. Normally 4-5 hours to complete cleaning and Laundry is done once a week.
---------------
Repair Technician w/ Drivers License at Distribudoras Corripo in Santiago: RD$8,000

w/o Drivers License: RD$6,000

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Executive Assistant

Speaks five languages including Creole. driver w/ license, superior local contacts and connections, knows the good, the bad and the ugly, valid gun permit and might even do harm for me.

$500 US per month plus $25-30 US per day from LCI Group members when they are visiting. As we require site visits to the area he is getting an extra 150 - 300 US a month during the 8 months a year I am here.

No set medical insurance but we have never failed to provide if medicines are needed. LCI has a few doctors in the group so over time we have stock piled certain medicines which we have discovered through our free clinics can cover most commons medical occurances.

kFrancis de Cabral

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
HomeIsWhereMyHeartIs said:
Teacher, teaching English as a second Language in Private School in Santiago: RD$13,000 for 20 hours a week (4 hours a day 5 days a week)... however this was heavily negotiated.

A coworker was teaching Math/Science to 6th and 7th graders and only making RD$16,000 for 40 hours a week. She was the highest paid teacher at the school and had a Bachelors in Education from a United States University.

Both of those examples are at the extreme low end of the spectrum. Or perhaps they are specific to Santiago. Personally, I don't know a single foreign teacher that would work for that wage. It is painfully low. I teach about 7 hours of ESL on the side every week for fun and extra money and make more than both of those examples just doing that.

There are good opportunities but you have to look around and network your way into them. Be creative, ambitious and persistent. Don't settle for a job that you put tons of hours into for a sorry return (unless you are doing something you absolutely love or for charity).

Scandall

louisekilpatrick

Mar 18, 2006
Teaching Jobs

Hi there,
Was wondering how much the salary would be for teaching English in puerto Plata?

I know it says RD$ 12,000 on this thread, but is this the case in puerto Plata too??

Many Thanks

Louise

manuel.cornelio

May 24, 2006
Bilingual customer service representative -13,000 a month.

Same job but a supervisor for the bilingual customer service reps-35,000 a month.

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Teaching languages in Puerto Plata

2 years ago I worked as a French teacher at Andrea Language School. She was paying me 500 pesos/month from 1 to 10 students and then 125 pesos/student more. I had to work 1 hour/day from Monday to Thursday. Another group I had (same salary) was on Saturdays from 9 to 12, only once a week....
Could you live with this???? I had more or less 3000 pesos/month with 2 groups. I was a teacher all my life, have lots of diplomas and have learned 7 languages....Imagine the one who has no diploma!!!!
I did not even cover the gas for my car, so I stopped teaching.
But I can understand, students pay 200 or 250 pesos/month. How could the Institute pay much more money to teachers????

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Estrella1 said:
2 years ago I worked as a French teacher at Andrea Language School. She was paying me 500 pesos/month from 1 to 10 students and then 125 pesos/student more. I had to work 1 hour/day from Monday to Thursday. Another group I had (same salary) was on Saturdays from 9 to 12, only once a week....
Could you live with this???? I had more or less 3000 pesos/month with 2 groups. I was a teacher all my life, have lots of diplomas and have learned 7 languages....Imagine the one who has no diploma!!!!
I did not even cover the gas for my car, so I stopped teaching.
But I can understand, students pay 200 or 250 pesos/month. How could the Institute pay much more money to teachers????
Possibly by teaching full-time rather than 1 hour per day.

DoraRocks316

Sep 12, 2005
What does a Travel Agent make?

Does anyone know what a travel agent or Destination Rep with any major tour operator would make?

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
DoraRocks316 said:
Does anyone know what a travel agent or Destination Rep with any major tour operator would make?

Good question, I also would like to know the answer to this question. I do know that a lot of the reps (for Canadian tour ops) must speak French.

DoraRocks316

Sep 12, 2005
Funny

I have heard that when you live down there and you get hired you don't really need to know French. But yes it is true when you are hired from Canada you need French, funny how that is even if you know Spanish and English,they won't hire you unless you know French. Dumb:(

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
DoraRocks316 said:
I have heard that when you live down there and you get hired you don't really need to know French. But yes it is true when you are hired from Canada you need French, funny how that is even if you know Spanish and English,they won't hire you unless you know French. Dumb:(

A destination rep with air transat will pay u 300$US a week will give u accomodation (and if u want to live somewhere else they will give u rent $) they also pay ure food and give u a car to drive around. U will have to speak french , english and spanish. How i know all of this its cuz my friend did it last year at pop airport. You will have to work about 50 hours a week will have one day off, and will work weird hours! They normally sign contracts for about 6 months and then cut u off and rehire u when it gets busy.
hope this information helps u

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
any quotes on what bilingual (spanish/english) advanced word processors and or graphics operators earn?

I am still coming up selling points for pitching my idea of outsourcing a WP/Graphics dept to DR vs India to DR to my firm.

I have another thread about this here...but i figured i would ask about the salary thing here.

thanks all

JJ

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
jrzyguy???

Why "outsource" your jobs to other countres?
Aren't there enough bi-lingual people in the USA to fill your needs?
How much profit do you really need?
There are athousands where you live who would LOVE to be on your payroll.
Besides, I for one, am darn tired of trying to listen to sales pitches by people who speak with an indescernable accent and who don't understand what I am asking them to begin with.

Texas Bill

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Full time support on a mission-critical system, 30,000 pesos.
Systems or Functional Consultant, 50,000 pesos
For the rest anything between 18,000 to 30,000 pesos .. bilingual is another story. Many folks have a little english and do well if they are in the environment to speak.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Texas Bill said:
jrzyguy???

Besides, I for one, am darn tired of trying to listen to sales pitches by people who speak with an indescernable accent and who don't understand what I am asking them to begin with.

Texas Bill
If you ever went to a Dominican Call Center you would think you were listening to people from the Bronx. But I can understand you not understanding them, I have a hard time understanding calls I receive from Houston.;)

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
That's cause we slur our words, talk slowly and drop our "r"'s.
Nothing new there. I have a hard time understanding anyone from anywhere.
Aural dyslexia, you know.

Texas Bill

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Let me guess jrzyguy.........

Texas Bill said:
jrzyguy???

Why "outsource" your jobs to other countres?
Aren't there enough bi-lingual people in the USA to fill your needs?
How much profit do you really need?
There are athousands where you live who would LOVE to be on your payroll.

Texas Bill

You want to move down and head up the operation, thus enabling you to live in the DR while maintaining employment, salary, benefits etc. with your same employer. A great setup if you can pull it off!;)

jk1859

Sep 28, 2006
A bit off track, what would the following positions require in pay?

Director of English Program for a less than affluent small community for an after school program. Responsible for curriculum development, implementation, inlcuding audio visiual and teaching k-12 English and adult English.

Teacher of English k-12

Santo Domingo Area

Thanks,

jim