What are people getting paid?

jk1859

Sep 28, 2006
Employment English Pay

A bit off track, what would the following positions require in pay?

Director of English Program for a less than affluent small community for an after school program. Responsible for curriculum development, implementation, inlcuding audio visiual and teaching k-12 English and adult English.

Teacher of English k-12

Santo Domingo Area

Thanks,

jim

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From my experience in the charity sector it depends on whether you were recruited locally or internationally. A locally-recruited employee, even a foreigner, will be paid a 'local salary' of a few thousand pesos with few or no extras like health insurance, while an internationally-recruited employee can be offered a reasonable salary by international standards, relocation package, rent, benefits, health insurance, etc.

jk1859

Sep 28, 2006
Sorry, new to this format... did not see your last response. Yes, this would be funded from within country and the notion would be to pay a fair wage for these positions according to the local market rate. The Director would have more responsibility, obviously, therefore the pay would be higher than that of the other teacher. (s)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Around 10-15,000 pesos would be a good salary by local standards. Teachers in the state sector earn less than that. If you want native English speakers you'd have to offer more.

jk1859

Sep 28, 2006
Am I correct in understanding that this is between 250-400 US $ per month? Are we talking about degree'd individuals?

jk1859

Sep 28, 2006
Not sure what your background is but can you shed any light on how difficult you think it would be to find a Director of English Language program with experience. This position would be in the Santo Domingo area.

Just out of curiosity, what would a University Level Director of English program pay?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not sure, it depends on so many factors. I'll send you a Private Message as this thread is not supposed to contain these exchanges. :)