what did we do wrong?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
thanks for your passion,TW

TW I think you are in LOVE!!! congratulations ...i can see it in your little puppy-love blind eyes...it happepend to me also when i was young and impressionable..i felt so titilated...can you e-mail me and give me details is she (or he) from Canada...US....i cant talk much now, TW...i have to go to a friend's house for a little party...

P.S. The way I hear you talk, the only Dominican is a trash-throwing, wife beating, ghetto living,cockroach infested maggot. Does that mean that you are also a maggot? Or are you the only good Dominican left standing? When you call me and friends "ghetto" dwellers, lets just say that you are misinformed and you really dont want to compare stations in life.

PS2: It also appears that all the perfect Americans have left and gone to the DR!! I see plenty of white guys here violate your rules of etiquette.

PS3: Have you forgotten you 1960's Dominican history?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Yo! "Cow Guts!"

Forget your reply to "Tony C",lets hear what you have to say to "TW"! I could "Double" his list,but you would just say that I am "another American" making disparaging remarks about "Your" country! I have very long fingers,and "TW,s" fingers look like "Chop Sticks",we can both "Go for the DEEP ones",but not while talking face to face with other people! I used to counsel Black High School students(White "Guilt" I guess)on how to get a job in a large corporation(ie. All White!) I told them to do some "recon" of where they wanted to get a job.Walk around,or wait outside to see how the employees dressed,how they did their hair,and what they "carried" in and out of the work place.Try to emulate what you aspire to be! In other words; lose the "Afro",the nose ring,and the "Dashiki",and other "Getto" accoutrements,and imitate the "White Folk"! Many of those who took the advice found employment.Most of those who said;"I ain,t no "Tom",and I ain,t gonna "sell-out" to "Whitey" fo no Silly-ass "9 to 5er!" Yo can kiss my Black African Ass!,did to! They collect "empties",or sell incense on the street.Lots of "false pride",no money!The point being,it is not about race,it,s about money! I would give the same advice to a white kid or an Indian. You dominacans have a "saying"; "Show me who you walk with,and I,ll show you who you are! You want to become a "Developing Nation"? Stop treating your women like 2nd class citizens!Educate them,give them health care.Including reproductive control of their bodies.Stop "beating" them.,get sober.Most of all,take parental,and financial "Resposibility"for your children! Dominican men have total control of the culture and so bear full responsibility for the problems! This will never happen,but I do enjoy pointing it out to you! You won,t see this post until you sober-up on Monday! Enjoy your day playing dominoes and getting "Shitfaced" at the colmado!Criss Colon

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
Viva Criss Colon

Where were you for so long Criss?

i almost changed my name to Missing_CC

regards

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: Yo! "Cow Guts!"

You want to become a "Developing Nation"? Stop treating your women like 2nd class citizens!Educate them,give them health care.Including reproductive control of their bodies.

Criss,
Get of your High-Horse. The reason Dominican women are treated like they are is because they let the men do it. Do you think women in the US made their advances because the men decided to treat them better? Of course not. They demanded it! They fought for it.
If a women gets knocked up by guy who then walks out, 9 times out of 10 it is the womens own fault for being stupid enough to fall victim. When Dominican women fight back and demand respect it is only then will they get respect. In my book respect is earned. And in my life very few women have earned my respect and even fewer men have.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Go Patriots!!!!Yeah baby!!

Criss...I am heartened by your attempt to teach these American blacks how to succeed....my assumption is therefore that you know a thing or two about success... without asking you to divulge your impressive list of accomplishments, I can only judge you by what you write on this board...and unfortunately, with 90% of the precincts reporting, its not looking good for you my friend...lets repeat the advice you gave those people "....wait outside to see how the employees dressed,how they did their hair".....the Investors Business Daily (investors.com) publishes a list (once a week) on the important characteristics of successful people and companies...hair style and tie color did not make that list...dont despair, Criss,maybe for the level of success YOU aspire to, that might be sufficient..."super size it for me, Criss"....by the way, i'm availale (pro bono!!) after work hours if you want a little tutoring in punctuation and grammar...do you know what the word "prattle" means?...ok..sorry...probably not..how about "gibberish"...these words inexplicably popped in my head after attempting to read your last post..

TW..."We owe all the progress we have made to foreigners bringing their civilized manners to DR"......"Only with more foreigners in DR will we learn how to adopt civilized manners".....hmmm....If I understand you correctly,golo, the Dominicans should sit back and wait for the White man to come and save our country...what a deal...in that case, i'll just go on welfare and have the White man beep me when he's done fixin' our problems...who's got the chicharrones!!..lets eat!!

mondongo
"who's always panning for fool's gold"

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Mondongo:help us clean the city

Mondongo:

We don't have to wait for Americans to come and save us from our own savages. All you have to do is support Candelier's effort to get rid of all the street vendors from the sidewalks so that people don't have to walk in the streets in the same lanes with cars and getting rid of the jalopy army of Frankenstein concho cars in our streets.

And frankly, I wouldn't mind if Americans come in droves and replace al least half of our population of local tribesmen who roam our streets today, the so-called tigueres and colmadon customers like you, who eat morcilla in Villa Mella.

Problem is, American do not cater to second rate tourism. They want to be able to pick their hotels and be on their own driving around without tour guides. But to be able to accomodate these people we need to get rid of this cancer in our society(el tigueraje). We need to instill an image in our poor women that having children is not a law and is not required to get your driver's license.

TW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Pro Bono?" I thought he Died!

Typical dominican response! Attack me,and not the problem.Everyones fault but yours.Ho Hum.Bend over,I,ll "Super Size "It"for you! You miss the point! These were High School "Blacks" trying for entry level jobs with "White" corporations. Not Harvard MBAs! White people from the "Burbs"are "scared" by "Ghetto Blacks",they needed to blend in,not scare the shit out of the human resources personel!What do you know about helping "People of Color?" By the looks of things here,not much! Give your Pro-Bono to a black dominican.Since as a dominican you determine a persons position in life by their wealth,I retired here at 50,bought a huge house in Arroyo Hondo,have a car,a Ford Van,and a Chevy Blazer! What you got Chico? "Nuf" said.Criss Colon

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Criss...show me, with my own quotes, how its "Everyone's fault, but yours."

TW...have you seen me walk in or out of a colmado? Do you know whether or not I wear jewely? Do my friends carry guns? Since you profess to know the answers to all these questions and more....then you are scaring me, TW. Are you stalking me? Do I need to take out a restraint order on you? Are you peeping into my window from the darkness of the Azalea bushes below?

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
The answer does not lie in bringing in foreigners to take care of our problems...and don't go thinking this problem is unique to DR because it's not! We're not the only third world country struggling with bad politics, corrupt officials and levels of poverty that drive people to crime. Hell, police officers offer drug dealers protection in Puerto Rico...and they're a U.S territory!!!

The solution lies in educating our people better and thus enabling them the means to take back what belongs to us...our land, resources and maybe the opportunity for a stronger, less corrupt government (corruption will always exist as long as we have humans in government...nobody is immune). Give people an incentive and the means by which to succeed and you will see the country progress by leaps and bounds. No the answer does not lie in handing over the government to foreigners, the answer lies within ourselves. Those of us who have been lucky enough to escape the misery should be doing something to help out our own people...help establish a scholarship fund to help good dedicated students get a good education and make something of themselves. Mentor young children and teens so that they won't end up with the "tigeraje" mentality. Due something instead of talking and complaining about it, then and only then will you begin to see progress. Foreigners, I don't have anything against any of you but have you ever stopped to think that even you can make a positive impact on this country? I know many who already do but there's also those that only come to drain our resources and create wealth for themselves.

Each and every single one of us contributes to the problem by not doing anything about it, Each and everyone of us has the potential to neutralize it as well.

....I am not for or against any of you but maturity levels leave a lot to be desired on this board.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Re: Mondongo- lay off

golo, who are you and where did you come from?

If you chose to live in the Dominican Republic you better adopt to customs because customs are not goign to change for you. Yeah, maybe not all customs...I give you that much...but every country has its customs and if you don't like the customs of that country then you have the free will to pack up and leave. Is there something wrong with playing dominoes? I am a 21 yr college in the U.S, I play dominoes with my other college friends...does that make us uncivilized? I have a cellphone and some of my friends have neon lights in their cars even though they're not dominican (white), I guess that's four years of college down the drain because in the end we're uncivilized. I grew up in a campo and we cooked with wood because we didn't have a stove, sorry we offended you with our uncivilized cooking methods. Also, I would like to apologize for the motoconcho, they don't want to get their brand new beemers dirty while trying to earn a living...should I also apologize for the bike taxis in china? There's homeless people and street vendors in every part of the world....THIS WHOLE G'DAMMED WORLD IS UNCIVILIZED....get my drift?

Golo, people live within their means in DR and in every other country. Stop comparing us by "developed" nations standards because that comparing apples and oranges. And even so called civilized nations have their "dirty little customs".

Furthermore, I am not here to offend or argue with anyone. I welcome any intellectual comments, I like to learn from others points of view.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I'm sure TW (Golo) will defend himself, but he is a born and raised Dominicano. I think his main point is that if you use "gimmicks" such as cell phones, flashy jewelry , etc. to impress it is not good. If you use your cell phone as a tool that's acceptable. Playing dominoes and drinking beer is okay unless it is all you do at the expense of your duties to family.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
golo..

Using gimmicks to impress is not good, I agree. Playing dominoes and drinking beer is also a waste if that's all you do. But neither of those things make a country uncivilized...the lack of education does. Not cooking with wood and washing clothes in a river....some people don't have a choice!

I live in upstate NY which is a far cry from DR, yet I still see kids and adults alike flashing cellphones, I see a crowds who like to flash their jewelry, and people putting $10k of after market "hookups" to $6k cars...including neon lights. People still honk their horn and yes, even play loud music and....this morning I woke to my neighbor playing heavy metal... and guess what? They're not DOMINICAN.

My point here is that culture and customs vary from country to country. Dominicans are a generally happy crowd no matter where you go, our music, dominoes and beer are part of that culture. Those things don't make us uncivilized, they identify us. The person who sits around all day just looking to impress others by showing of garbage...they might be lazy and lack manners but I bet you anything you can find the same person in any other world country....ever heard of the wealthfare subculture in the US?

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
golo..

Using gimmicks to impress is not good, I agree. Playing dominoes and drinking beer is also a waste if that's all you do. But neither of those things make a country uncivilized...the lack of education does. Not cooking with wood and washing clothes in a river....some people don't have a choice!

I live in upstate NY which is a far cry from DR, yet I still see kids and adults alike flashing cellphones, I see a crowds who like to flash their jewelry, and people putting $10k of after market "hookups" to $6k cars...including neon lights. People still honk their horn and yes, even play loud music and....this morning I woke to my neighbor playing heavy metal... and guess what? They're not DOMINICAN.

My point here is that culture and customs vary from country to country. Dominicans are a generally happy crowd no matter where you go, our music, dominoes and beer are part of that culture. Those things don't make us uncivilized, they identify us. The person who sits around all day just looking to impress others by showing of garbage...they might be lazy and lack manners but I bet you anything you can find the same person in any other world country....ever heard of the wealthfare subculture in the US?

I look forward to hearing Golos point of view, just as long as he doesn't resort to insults.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
DR Techie, I live here, you dont

I read something today on Ultima Hora newspaper,pg.11, about a teacher that sleeps in the floor with two of her five children. The reporter makes a tearjerking appeal for this teacher that earns $2700 pesos a month, enough to pay for this tiny room without furniture. Now, this is a teacher!!! How much more do you need to educate people, specially a teacher? Should I feel sorry for this stupid woman?

I believe she should have been put in jail for child abuse. And I mean, child abuse before birth, if there is such a thing. There should be a law punishing these women for bringing to life five unfortunate lives under the conditions she used to live prior to their birth. She divorced her husband and the dude works selling fried sausage on the streets.

How much education do you need to tell people they should not bear children if they cannot support themselves? How can you support a family selling sausages and teaching in DR?

How does dominoes playing come into this? Well, this is a game that represents what is wrong with Dominican society. When you play dominoes on the sidewalks drinking beer, cursing and fighting for placed bets, while playing the numbers game with your favorite bookie and listening to bachata, all at the same time, it gives an image to our children that it is alright to behave like this. Gambling is a way of life in our ghettos. Colmadones are the scourge of our society. Motoconchos are dangerous drivers who have no concern for the life of people, driving without helmets, insurance, inspection and charging the poor people 4 times the cost of public transportation by OMSA, even though they use cheap gas and have barely any expenses.

There is no reason to cook with wood in DR. Cooking gas is cheaper and saves our trees and rivers. DR Techie,street vendors in your neighborhood do not throw their disposables in your home garbage can. Our Haitian orange juice vendors collect thousands of orange peels from their days work and sneakily drive thru my neighborhood in their ugly bikes looking for the right opportunity to dump their dirty garbage on my garbage cans. Is that civilized. Do you support that practice just because we are not industrialized?

Let me tell you, Candelier, our chief of AMET is doing something about it. But our leftwing opportunists are crying foul because he wants to clean up this city. We were recently advised by the US Ambassador that to attract US tourism, which we need badly, we need to clean up our enviroment in general. American tourists do not enjoy staying in hotels with all-inclusive. They like to tour on their own. Seeing all this uncivilized behavior by haitians and poor Dominicans will turn them off.

In spite of apologists like you, we are moving ahead and getting rid of these problems. Eventually, the influx of intelligent and culturally educated people from Europe and North America will help a great deal. I do not have to leave DR. I own my land and property here and will protect it with my life if necessary from the uncivilized goons. I am meeting with the Chief of Planification at AMET this week to give him my neighborhood hot spots to clean. I will get rid of the junk people in Piantini, specially the Haitians.

I am sick and tired of hearing about the so-called "padres de familia" as if they have a monopoly on the family. Responsible people should not feel guilty for the life these people have brought upon themselves. It is not my fault if they spend half their salary on lottery tickets. I spend my money wisely and only spend what I can afford.

TW

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
DRtechie

You sound like a well reasoned human being and I appreciate everything you write. If you spend more time on this board you find it better to amuse yourself with TW and some of the others. You will drive yourself crazy responding to everything they write.

Hey TW, happy to see you are an environmentalist. I'm afraid you won't be able to remove all the "uncivilized", who will do all the work?

rolfy-RD

Jan 10, 2002
The D.R maybe a poor country but our drug and crime probs are not nearly as huge as puerto rico or jamaica or discusting haiti or much of cental america. We also dont need "extranjeros" to take care of the ills of our society the only thing we need them for is funding for projecst to further our grothw.

As far as the curropt politicians go,its like that every where especially in latin america.

In my opinion nuestro pais si nosotros tenemos la dedicasion i la passion para ayudarnos a nosotros mismos the DR will be a great place to live and for buisness,we just cant put our fait in extranjeros-look at haiti and its ills they want the world to solve there probs look at there condition.

ps>we really need to deport a crap load of hatians the country is over populated as it is.

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
that's your view, but this is still our country!

golo-

I respect your point of view but what I don't respect is your desire to sell out our country. So what if I don't live there now? I travel enough to see what goes on in the country and I will be moving there in a short time.

I agree with what Candelier is trying to do, we need that. But we don't need that to make tourist happy, stop worrying about them because they don't give two sh*** about us. Oh wait, their going to DR will pump money into the economy, great! Just hope you know that's not going to solve all of our problems! Cleaning up the streets and getting rid of motoconchos is not going to solve our problems either...HOW CAN WE RAISE THE STANDARD OF LIVING? HOW CAN WE GIVE PEOPLE THE OPPORTUNITY TO MAKE A DECENT LIVING? broaden your view...not everything is in black and white.

P.S when you meet with AMET, give them a list of all the corrupt officials just dying to sell our country for a personal profit...you might know a few of them.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Techie,

You are idealistic and that can be good. Now, lets hear what specific things you would do to improve the DR. It is always easy to say how things should be but harder to say how to bring that about. That was the problem with my generation of the sixties and seventies, we were good at criticizing but had no realistic idea of how to improve things.

really would like to hear your ideas....

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
last words

El Jefe-

I am far from an idealist. I am just trying to point out that there's no ONE or easy solution to this problem. It sure as hell doesn't lie in having foreigners dump their money into our country and people are just not going to assimilate to the tourist culture. If we do start to see change it should be for the benefit of the people...not to make the U.S or any other country happy...they have their own country they can go back to.

I am also not criticizing, I am trying to make people see that there's more than meets the eye to this problem. How can you talk about why the poor do certain things when they were never poor? Walk a mile in their shoes and then come and tell me if you see it the same way. You see, my family wasn't rich, I grew up poor...we were just lucky.

you ask me "what I would do"...I am going to tell "WHAT I AM GOING TO DO." When I was in High School I had a mentor who really helped to focus and he tought me to expect nothing but the best from myself. It's thanks to that person that I am where I am today. You see all that "tigeraje" you see in DR...some of them are just rotten, but then theres those that just need a positive role model, someone to give them hope. Along with this I plan on setting up a scholarship fund to give them an opportunity to make something out of themselves. Maybe it's not a lot, but it's a start.

This is my last post here, I've said my share. I just hope everyone will look at the bigger picture here. read the history books. when cuba focused more on the foreigners than on it's own people, castro came into power.