What does "Papi" mean and appropriate to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I've got to agree with HB on this one...

Sorry, but it's tacky to say "Hey Sweetie, Honey, etc...." in English, and even tackier to me to call random people "Mi Amor, Papi, Mami" in Spanish. (That is, as Pib point out, unless they are your actual mother and father).

If you don't know someone's name and you need to get their attention, a simple "Excuse me" will suffice.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Bugsey34 said:
Sorry, but it's tacky to say "Hey Sweetie, Honey, etc...." in English, and even tackier to me to call random people "Mi Amor, Papi, Mami" in Spanish. (That is, as Pib point out, unless they are your actual mother and father).

If you don't know someone's name and you need to get their attention, a simple "Excuse me" will suffice.

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada home of Cape Breton Island and neighbour to the province of Newfoundland. Many of the people who live here are outwardly friendly and plutonically affectionate even to strangers, especially in Cape Breton and Newfoundland. Many people that you meet in Newfoundland will call you hun, dear, sweetie, handsome, luv, and don't forget, buddy, etc. and most people would not take offence at such gestures as they are offered in kindness or take anyone seriously in this regard. In my opinion, the Dominican culture has a lot of similarities to Newfoundland's unique culture with the exception that no one would look down their noses at someone for being nice and friendly, and suggest that they are "lower" class, uneducated and unworthy. To the OP, I admire the way you have handled yourself in light of some of the responses you have had.
Have nice day everyone.
Nelly :)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It has beem my experience,both from observation,and personally,

That when there are "X","husbands",and/or "Boyfriends" around,they are screwing your "Girlfriend" when you are not there!!!!The fact that she lives with the sister of the "X",only makes things worse! Most "Latin" women don't remain "close" to the men they "divorce",or break-up with,"Unless"!!!!!!
I would drop her like a "Bad Habit"!!!
Your "Jealousy" means that you have doubts! Tey are most likely valid!!
CCCCCC

bdj

Dec 16, 2004
Criss Colon said:
That when there are "X","husbands",and/or "Boyfriends" around,they are screwing your "Girlfriend" when you are not there!!!!The fact that she lives with the sister of the "X",only makes things worse! Most "Latin" women don't remain "close" to the men they "divorce",or break-up with,"Unless"!!!!!!
I would drop her like a "Bad Habit"!!!
Your "Jealousy" means that you have doubts! Tey are most likely valid!!
CCCCCC

When we were living together in Puerto Rico, her son came to visit and we all went and rented a house in Cabo Rojo. This is included her Ex husband and his wife and children. He's a decent guy. They don't really get along and she did not call him papi. She IS close to his sister. They get along great. But as for her Ex, she doesn't really like him. But they have kids together and they work together when they need to for the sake of the children. He lives in Puerto Rico. I have no problems with him.

I do NOT think she is cheating or being unfaithful. Not in anyway cheating.

I don't cosider this true jealousy. Because I don't believe she is cheating at all.

I spoke with my godsons father and talked to him about it. He does'nt know the word papi from anything. He calls his wife dear and sweetheart. He said if she called someone or someone called her dear, it would not bother him. It WOULD bother him if she or someone used the word sweetheart.

They do strange things as well. If dancing, they will grind with someone else. (have the womens butt rub against the mans dick) I would never find this acceptable, but they somehow do. Everyone is different.

I do think that we all might have words that WE consider SPECIAL.

For him that word is sweetheart, you don't say that to all.
For ME that word is Papi/Daddy. This is because of my culture and how it is used in the states.
For HER, in DR or PR, this may not be how the word is used or intended.
I believe her intent is good.

Is there words that you all consider special? To be used, normally, with your wife or husband? What are they?

I think the bottom line in this discussion is that in the DR, papi is said to lots of people by lots of people and it's not a special word.
In the states, papi is said to a father, son, husband, boyfriend, or someone you have an interest in or want.

This of course conflicts. I don't recall her saying this alot and I think it was overblown by the initial reaction of Graciela that she thought I was accusing her of being unfaithful, which I was not.

I THINK that after talking about it together, she may better understand how I feel about it and I understand better how she has used the word. I THINK she will make an attempt to not say it as much or use a different word. If she slips up and it is said from time to time, I think I can handle that.

I came into this message board to get a better understanding of the word and culture. I still hold that word to mean something here in the us, if we were living in dr, I'd have to make an adjustment. Since she is here, I think it would be wise for her to make an adjustment.

I still hold papi and mami to mean something special. It kind of sucks that they really don't mean anything when she says them. But hey, we are all different.

I think I understand her better now and some of the dr culture better now.

We'll see how it works out.

Tony understands where I'm coming from. Another friend Rob, thinks I am over reacting.

I guess my last thought on the subject (although still have interest in anyone elses thoughts and input), is with her son that has 12 years old. We get along great and he says he loves me and we've talked about him calling me papi. He asked me what he should call me. I said at the time to call me what he want's too. I'd love it if he thought enough of me to call me papi/father/daddy.

I figured that is what it means. If he calls me papi, but then calls other adult men papi, then it probably doesn't mean a damn thing. I'd be better off being called my name, or daddy/dad/father in english. Then I know what it means.

again, I appreciate all the input. I trust her intent. I don't believe she is cheating. The word is special to me and not so much to her. I asked about the meaning of the word and it's use, not if she was being unfaithful.

oh, she also doesnt' say papi in the boardroom. In the lunch room or maybe the hall way.

Anyways, thanks again, I hope to goto the DR and visit her family and DR at somepoint. More feedback is forever welcome, I'll be checking up on it. I got a better response that I thought I would. :)

bdj

Dec 16, 2004
I thought I would also add, I always kind of considered calling one papi or mami is the type of word like calling one your husband or wife or significat other. Or from a son or daughter for their father.

So it's like hearing your women call another man daddy or husband.

I don't think anyone would really like them calling someone else their husband or wife or your child calling another their dad or mom.

That's kind of what it means to me, but not to her and not so much in the DR.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Complete contridiction!!!!!!!!!!!

bdj you said

her son that has 12 years old. We get along great and he says he loves me and we've talked about him calling me papi. He asked me what he should call me. I said at the time to call me what he want's too. I'd love it if he thought enough of me to call me papi/father/daddy.

and in the next post you said

I don't think anyone would really like them calling someone else their husband or wife or your child calling another their dad or mom.

Sounds to me like your being a little free in the use of the word. :eek:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
This "Butt Grinding" thing is new to me!!

It takes a really "Low Life" person to do THAT! Even with their husband or Boyfriend,Except when in bed!cccccccc

britishgirl

Aug 28, 2004
i have been greeted, heared mi amor, carina,mami....but mi negro??? dusnt that mean my black??? huh?? not feelin that.loli've never heared anyone say that.

Last edited:

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
err diablo!!!

My goodness.! this house or apartment must be huge...!
It sounds like soon the ex-husbands and the goats will be moving in...!

reading the 1st post made me feel like 30 mexicans stuffed in a 1965 volkswagen beetle...
:bunny:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
a rarely expressed opinion...by yours truly

...I can usually just "surf" the posts...but this one caught my attention...and the fact that the original poster accounts for most of the subsequent posts leads me to the following opinion...and I know it is an unsolicited opinion...

...if you are this neurotic about it...RUN!...

it won't get any better...

here are a few predictions for your future posts:

"Why does she dirty dance in front of me?"
"Why is her cell phone always vibrating?"
"Do most girls go to "bible study" 3 times a week?"
"She was going to call...but she didn't have any minutes on her phone card."
"She nevers asks for money...but her Aunt is sick."
"I don't know what she's studying but she always has a notebook in her hand."
etc. etc. etc.

And before you ask...the answer is "yes"...I have heard all of these before...I just never fell for any of them... Cheers!

My advice: go to the nearest colmado...get a "cerveza bien fria" and fall in love all over again....that's all......

RHM
www.randallhmiller.com

Kaizen68 said:
My goodness.! this house or apartment must be huge...!
It sounds like soon the ex-husbands and the goats will be moving in...!

reading the 1st post made me feel like 30 mexicans stuffed in a 1965 volkswagen beetle...
:bunny:

bdj

Dec 16, 2004
Rick Snyder said:
Complete contridiction!!!!!!!!!!!

bdj you said

Quote:

her son that has 12 years old. We get along great and he says he loves me and we've talked about him calling me papi. He asked me what he should call me. I said at the time to call me what he want's too. I'd love it if he thought enough of me to call me papi/father/daddy.

and in the next post you said

Quote:

Sounds to me like your being a little free in the use of the word.

Here's the situation on her son calling me papi.

He asked if he could call me papi early on.

I thought it best if he waited to see if his mother and I were going to get married and all.

He want's to call me papi. He's asked me what I want. I basically told him that he can call me what he wants, what he feels towards me.

If I am going to be the father figure, and be in his life forever, I don't see a problem. Because that would be my role as the father.

Now the ex husband is the father of her two older sons. 21 and 22 years old. The father of Carlos is living in DR and is not part of his life. Never paid child support, does not try and be a part of Carlos' life in any way. Even when She had to go and take care of her brother in DR did Carlos' father attempt to speak with him.

When we were living in PR, we had a birthday party for him at his private school and told everyone I was his step-father.

As for having it both ways, I'm not sure what you mean. Calling other men, regular men, men at work, men at school, men that don't mean anything to them. But if I have the role of the father and the true father has shown by his actions to not give a damn.....well, Carlos want's a father in his life....and I'm happy to fulfil that role for him. It took a little while to get there. Just because you love a women does not mean you automatically truly love the kids. It's like any relationship. You need to pay attention to it and nurture it and really get to know and understand the other person involved. Girlfriend, boyfriend, wife, husband, etc...

So I don't see it as having it both ways and a contradiction. Does this better explain it to you?

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Well not exactly....

britishgirl said:
i have been greeted, heared mi amor, carina,mami....but mi negro??? dusnt that mean my black??? huh?? not feelin that.loli've never heared anyone say that.

My Dominicana loves when I call her "mi negrita" which means "black woman".

Also, I talked to her today about the "papi" issue, and although she has never called anyone papi other than me or her dad, she assured me that it does not mean the girl has a "thing" for the guy, she is just being silly or friendly. She did tell me she doesn't call anyone else papi when I am around out of respect for me. I told her I don't mind ;)

-Tim

bdj

Dec 16, 2004
twincactus said:
My Dominicana loves when I call her "mi negrita" which means "black woman".

Also, I talked to her today about the "papi" issue, and although she has never called anyone papi other than me or her dad, she assured me that it does not mean the girl has a "thing" for the guy, she is just being silly or friendly. She did tell me she doesn't call anyone else papi when I am around out of respect for me. I told her I don't mind ;)

-Tim

It sounds like she does say it, but just not when you are around.

I don't recall ever hearing Graciela saying papi to someone else when I was around either when we were together in PR. maybe the same type of deal.

So it's not so special of a word in DR.

So what type of words in spanish are used for your girlfriend or spouse/boyfriends..? For women to men or men to women. I understand they can be varied.

You use mi negrita and she loves that. Would you use that phrase with others or just your women?

Are there phrases that are considered special for the ones that you love? You can add in ones that are used for sons or daughters. And what would they translate to and what would they actually mean.

I know when I was learning spanish there was the phrase "te amo"...to you I love or I love you. Then I was taught "te queiro"...to you I want or I love you. They taught me that te amo was for a mother or father or anyone you love and te queiro was for your husband or boyfriend. Of course this was in Puerto Rico, so it may be different in DR and other places.

I was told many stories from my friends of when they went to different countries and some of the different meanings.

I don't recall which country they went to, but they tried to ask where the bus was or how to get to the bus or they wanted to get a bus and were shocked to find out what they had said translated into wanting to have sex with an indeginous indian boy. Once in a restaraunt, a group of older women were talking and what they said was they wanted to masturbate rignt at that moment. I dont' know if you would consider these type of things dialects or slang.

good feedback, I appreciate it all...

Naufrago

Sep 1, 2004
Wow! What an amazingly long thread for such a simple question. I've been married to my dominincana for 7 years now. I know all types of Dominicans, here in the DR and back in NY, all different levels of education, employment, wealth. Papi, Negra, Mi Vida, Mi Amor, they say it all, especially when the situation is relaxed and informal, men and women have called me papi, sometimes my wife will give a friend a look if she calls me papi, but mostly out of fun, not that she thinks she's being challenged. How uptight do you want to be, how controlling a person are you, let it pass, isn't that why you were attracted to her in the first place? There's plenty worse being said on the streets of Santo Domingo. Also my puerto rican acquaints back in nyc did seem to say papi alot more, most of them were from "the ghetto", chill.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Once again a mountain out of a mole-hill

bdj with that explanation I understand where you are coming from but you didn't explain it when you first made the post. You started this thread over the word "papi" and you have made such a big deal out of an insignificant, to most people, word and then you post, Quote "he loves me and we've talked about him calling me papi." That, my friend, is a complete contradiction to your philosophy of the word without an in depth explanation in the same context. You seem to be baiting members with your partial rantings or you expect us to read your mind and know what you want to say. Note the title of this post. ;)

solena

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 14, 2004
bdj said:
Two of her children are in the US military. She did not say papi to her ex husband, he was there visiting his son on his birthday. She said hi to her ex (hola fernando), and then say hello papi to her roommates boyfriend. Her roommate is her ex husbands sister. Her mother was there at the time.

Bdj, I have only read the first page of your thread-- haven't made it to the end yet, but it is very interesting. You have a very legitimate complaint. I am American and Spanish is my second language. It bothered me to hear my child's father address other women as mami and chula and me by my name-- it meant i was cut off. So, yes, it does hold meaning.

My original reason for responding to this was that my heart goes out to you. Bdj-- bdj-- bdj!!!!!! Look at this explanation you gave-- examine it. TRY to take off the love blinders... look at the complication of her situation-- all the chaos and excuses and mess... are you prepared to get involved in all of this complication? I'm going to go deep here. We look for drama when we're bored with our lives or feel empty or had parents who had intense drama (i.e. my father). I don't want to be negative with your fiance, but you seem so much more dignified and seem to have your integrity in tact. Don't let the sex and charm eat away your intelligence! Good luck to you... no decision is a wrong decision... we choose what to learn from and what not to... Que dios te bendiga!
Solena

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
PAPI is used in many forms, most of them not making real sense.

BUT

If she had a (short) relation with the other (and you never know), and/or she almost whispers PAPI with those bright shiny brown eyes, looking straight to the other, than be warned.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
Surprised!!!!!!!!!

I can not believe that this post has gone so long over a simple question that i mysellf answered way back at the beginning of this thread. the bottom line is that "THE WORD PAPI MEANS NOTHING BUT THE IMPORTANCE THAT YOU GIVE IT!!!!!!!.

You can call anyone on the street papi and you can also call you husband/boyfriend/fiance/lover/whatever that it just depends the meaning you give it.

I dont mean to be mean but you are giving this way too much importance. :tired:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
lizzyjl80 said:
I can not believe that this post has gone so long over a simple question that i mysellf answered way back at the beginning of this thread. the bottom line is that "THE WORD PAPI MEANS NOTHING BUT THE IMPORTANCE THAT YOU GIVE IT!!!!!!!.

You can call anyone on the street papi and you can also call you husband/boyfriend/fiance/lover/whatever that it just depends the meaning you give it.

I dont mean to be mean but you are giving this way too much importance. :tired:

esta bien mami ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.