What does "Papi" mean and appropriate to say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESOLteacher

Dec 14, 2004
PAPI vs. PAPITO vs. PAPASITO

Very interesting thread!

I am a gringa, raised very southern in the USA - I say HONEY and SWEETIE an DARLING to everyone and have to work not to.

I have dated a number of latinos over the last 20 years and I USED TO think that PAPI and MAMI were just for either:
parents of small kids
bedroom/sweet talk with your honey

Now - after many discussion, being called MAMI by women (from PR!) and by men I hardly knew, and being either insulted by the men or scratching my head about the women (what is she anyway .. a lesbian ... i wondered)....it comes down to the words -- for me anyway -- just being sweet words.

I WOULD WORRY HOWEVER if she called any man but you PAPITO or PAPASITO - in Spanish when we add those little endings it adds (in my mind) more intimacy and carino...........what do other foristas think?

Thank you for a VERY informative thread - I love studying words, especially in Spanish, and especially across countries/regions, because it does really vary so much.

This is just fascinating -- thank you! ps.. If I get a sanky, should I call him Papi or Papito? JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

bdj

Dec 16, 2004
Rick Snyder said:
bdj with that explanation I understand where you are coming from but you didn't explain it when you first made the post. You started this thread over the word "papi" and you have made such a big deal out of an insignificant, to most people, word and then you post, Quote "he loves me and we've talked about him calling me papi." That, my friend, is a complete contradiction to your philosophy of the word without an in depth explanation in the same context. You seem to be baiting members with your partial rantings or you expect us to read your mind and know what you want to say. Note the title of this post. ;)

1. Not trying to rant. Not trying to get anyone to back me up.

Trying to get the meaning and use of the word.

The use of papi/mami in DR is much of the time with most people.

The use is much different in the United States. This is where we are at now.

I asked AT this site because it was dedicated to issues involving DR. Graciela grew up and lived most of her life in DR. If this was cuba or peru or mexico, I would not have registered and did as much.

What is the basic deal that came from the post so far?....

The words papi and mami is used for everyone in DR. Doesn't mean much other than honey or sweetie etc....

Now
Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzyjl80

I can not believe that this post has gone so long over a simple question that i mysellf answered way back at the beginning of this thread. the bottom line is that "THE WORD PAPI MEANS NOTHING BUT THE IMPORTANCE THAT YOU GIVE IT!!!!!!!.

You can call anyone on the street papi and you can also call you husband/boyfriend/fiance/lover/whatever that it just depends the meaning you give it.

I dont mean to be mean but you are giving this way too much importance.

So papi and mami mean nothing but the importance that I give it. It seems like many would say that it would mean something if it was used with papi chulo/papi lindo or mami chula/mami linda....some say carino (although I can't find the definition of this word.) Some add papito or papicito.

Are there any of these words that I should not say to a women or her to a man....terms in spanish, with regards to spanish or DR spanish.

I know words are just words and intent has much to do with it. But as I learn more spanish are there words that I should not say or she not say?

Last edited:

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
bdj said:
1. Not trying to rant. Not trying to get anyone to back me up.

Trying to get the meaning and use of the word.

The use of papi/mami in DR is much of the time with most people.

The use is much different in the United States. This is where we are at now.

I asked AT this site because it was dedicated to issues involving DR. Graciela grew up and lived most of her life in DR. If this was cuba or peru or mexico, I would not have registered and did as much.

What is the basic deal that came from the post so far?....

The words papi and mami is used for everyone in DR. Doesn't mean much other than honey or sweetie etc....

Now
Quote:

So papi and mami mean nothing but the importance that I give it. It seems like many would say that it would mean something if it was used with papi chulo/papi lindo or mami chula/mami linda....some say carino (although I can't find the definition of this word.) Some add papito or papicito.

Are there any of these words that I should not say to a women or her to a man....terms in spanish, with regards to spanish or DR spanish.

I know words are just words and intent has much to do with it. But as I learn more spanish are there words that I should not say or she not say?

Those kinds of words are to be used with caution. If you dont know how or when to use them then dont.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
"It's not for me, it's for a friend"... yeah right.

What about 'chula'? Can this be an innocent affectionate term or is a man who addresses a married woman in this way overstepping the mark?

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Chirimoya said:
What about 'chula'? Can this be an innocent affectionate term or is a man who addresses a married woman in this way overstepping the mark?

Overstepping. Just like touching you when they talk to you. Please pass this on to your friend ;)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
linamia said:
Overstepping. Just like touching you when they talk to you. Please pass this on to your friend ;)

I agree 100%. I agree that touching someone is being more than just "friendly". I always take being called "papi" as having sexual overtones if directed towards a stranger or someone you don't know very well. If a woman calls a freind "papi" I take it more as being affectionate. But your wife or girlfriend calling another man "papi"....completely inappropriate and blatently disrespectful.

"Chula" sounds even worse.

Larry

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Chirimoya said:
I would prefer if people would refrain from calling me "mami", "mi amor" and sundry terms of endearment. I would rather be called by my name, or "se?ora", "do?a", or simply "Su Majestad" ;) , but it doesn't bother me that much. What I really hate is strangers touching me; or getting too close, like that idiot in the bank today when I was on the line. He was way too close to me and I found that creepy. I would take a step forward and he would do too. It took quite a lot of restraint not to start a war right there, after all he was violating my sovereign territory.

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Pib said:
I would take a step forward and he would do too. It took quite a lot of restraint not to start a war right there, after all he was violating my sovereign territory.

Try this next time. Look at him right in the eyes and whisper "the voices in my head are telling me to do it" see how fast he moves away. It works!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Pib said:
I would prefer if people would refrain from calling me "mami", "mi amor" and sundry terms of endearment. I would rather be called by my name, or "se?ora", "do?a", or simply "Su Majestad" ;) , but it doesn't bother me that much.

I hate being called se?ora and do?a! When it happens, I've been known to look behind me to see if there's an old woman in the room.

What I really hate is strangers touching me; or getting too close, like that idiot in the bank today when I was on the line. He was way too close to me and I found that creepy. I would take a step forward and he would do too. It took quite a lot of restraint not to start a war right there, after all he was violating my sovereign territory.

Yes, where's that lactose intolerance when you really need it. ;)

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Chris said:
While we are on to calling each other names, what is the subtle difference in Spanish between being called "se?ora" or "do?a". When is which one correct?

I always wondered what the correct usage of "dona" is too. ( Sorry but I can't put a tilde over the "n")

Larry

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Chris_NJ said:
Sorry, MAMI, but that is how lines work. :nervous:
Feeling funny today? :nervous: He was walking forward while the line wasn't moving. Apparently he thought that it was perfectly cromulent if we both stood on the same tile.

Chris: Do?a entails respect and age, se?ora is more about age. Both can be used almost indistinctly. When used with the person's name remember that Se?ora is used before the surname, whereas Do?a is used before the given name.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Pib said:
If I had known I would have made a quick stop at the ice cream parlor before going to the bank. Then I would point at him when people looked.

Interesting thought.

Larry

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Pib said:
I would prefer if people would refrain from calling me "mami", "mi amor" and sundry terms of endearment. I would rather be called by my name, or "se?ora", "do?a", or simply "Su Majestad" ;)

:confused: :confused: :confused: I thought we were supposed to address you only as "The Great and Magnificent Oz -- er, Goddess..."

bdj

Dec 16, 2004
lizzyjl80 said:
Those kinds of words are to be used with caution. If you dont know how or when to use them then dont.

ok, WHY do THOSE kind of words to be used with caution?

I don't know, they seemed the same as papi before, so maybe you can explain HOW and/or WHEN to use them. thanks

joshuagreer

Jun 21, 2007
my wife calls me papi,there is nothing wrong with it.if you know what it is,than you will love.dominican people are friendly.they call everyone mi amor.i have heard it over and over too.like i said it is only respect to understand her intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.