What is the future of Barahona?

Feb 15, 2005
I meant "oceanfront" on the cliff, with 50 meters of beach in front of cliff. But not too high cliff, just about 10-15 meters, not more. That makes a nice view and protection from ocean as well.

In such case I would have a guaranty of nice view forever. With "oceanview" properties you can lose a view, as there is still land in front of yours and a future development can change everything. :dead:

I have a nice photo of such a place in Barahona, I'll post it shortly.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I just got back from my first trip to the southwest. It is an incredibly diverse and beautiful area....very different from any other part of the country. It definitely has an "unspolied" feel to it, but you can also feel major development on it's way.

One positive observation was the condition of the roads...soooo much better than anywhere else in the country Ive been, and Ive been to just about every corner. Another odd observation is the law that allows cows to roam free on the highway...and they do, 100's to 1000's of them...que loco!

Paraiso is an aptly named town as it feels like something out of a movie...or novella, sort of the quintesential caribbean beach town.

I am looking forward to returning and spending time enjoying the natural beauty of the area.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I just got back from my first trip to the southwest. It is an incredibly diverse and beautiful area....very different from any other part of the country. It definitely has an "unspolied" feel to it, but you can also feel major development on it's way.

One positive observation was the condition of the roads...soooo much better than anywhere else in the country Ive been, and Ive been to just about every corner. Another odd observation is the law that allows cows to roam free on the highway...and they do, 100's to 1000's of them...que loco!

Paraiso is an aptly named town as it feels like something out of a movie...or novella, sort of the quintesential caribbean beach town.

I am looking forward to returning and spending time enjoying the natural beauty of the area.
We just spent several days on tour in the SW.

The reason the roads are better is because there is much less water. Water kills roads when not drained or built properly.

Agreed about Paraiso.

Also, one comment to the Sindico of Playa San Rafael:

[rant]CLEAN UP YOUR F#%@@ING BEACH AND SWIMMING POOL AREAS. IT'S A COMPLETE EMBARASSMENT TO YOU, YOUR PEOPLE AND THE COUNTRY.[/rant]

Feb 15, 2005
We just spent several days on tour in the SW.

The reason the roads are better is because there is much less water. Water kills roads when not drained or built properly.

Agreed about Paraiso.

Also, one comment to the Sindico of Playa San Rafael:

[rant]CLEAN UP YOUR F#%@@ING BEACH AND SWIMMING POOL AREAS. IT'S A COMPLETE EMBARASSMENT TO YOU, YOUR PEOPLE AND THE COUNTRY.[/rant]

I disagree with you respectfully. The roads are good because they were done right. The southwest is abundant with water as indicative of San Rafael and Los Patos.

It has much more water than Punta Cana, La Romana etc. It's mountain ranges contain one of the highest concentration of river veins in the Dominican Republic.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I disagree with you respectfully. The roads are good because they were done right. The southwest is abundant with water as indicative of San Rafael and Los Patos.

It has much more water than Punta Cana, La Romana etc. It's mountain ranges contain one of the highest concentration of river veins in the Dominican Republic.
Note I said when not drained properly.

Fact is there isn't as much water or rainfall in the area.

Go around Lago Enriquillo where there has been flooding and see the crap roads there.

Go toward San Jose de Ocoa from Bani and check where the roads have been flooded. Gone, destroyed.

Go check between Las Salinas and the main highway and check the roads where they have flooded.

Feb 15, 2005
Note I said when not drained properly.

Fact is there isn't as much water or rainfall in the area.

Go around Lago Enriquillo where there has been flooding and see the crap roads there.

Go toward San Jose de Ocoa from Bani and check where the roads have been flooded. Gone, destroyed.

Go check between Las Salinas and the main highway and check the roads where they have flooded.

Granted but I believe that the comment was for the main road from Barahona Enriquillo thru Perdenales. There isn't a better stretch of 5 hours worth of unimpeded driving than this one road in the entire country.

Feb 15, 2005
Additionally, I disagree with the statement that there is not much water in the Barahona area. Two examples are the river pools of Los Patos and San Rafael which have been at the same levels since I can remember. The hurricane seasons have replenished the areas water supplies yearly and so I cannot fully agree with the comment. Although I can understand where there might be confusion due to the fact that the southwest past Enriquillo is very arid, the areas from Canoa, thru Enriquillo has some of the most lush, wet landscape anywhere in the Caribbean.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Additionally, I disagree with the statement that there is not much water in the Barahona area. Two examples are the river pools of Los Patos and San Rafael which have been at the same levels since I can remember. The hurricane seasons have replenished the areas water supplies yearly and so I cannot fully agree with the comment. Although I can understand where there might be confusion due to the fact that the southwest past Enriquillo is very arid, the areas from Canoa, thru Enriquillo has some of the most lush, wet landscape anywhere in the Caribbean.
Two streams do not make up for the lack of water.

When it rains, the dry river beds flood. Flooding roads is what kills roads.

Granted, there are some "oasis" in the SW. But it's still very, very dry there: dry means a lack of water. That is why the roads, generally speaking, are better than other areas. That, and much less auto/truck traffic.

Feb 15, 2005
Yes I agree that less traveled roads maintain their durability as in the case in Barahona and westerly. But I again have to disagree that there is absolutely no water. How in fact can there be so much abundance of foliage. If you can for the sake of respectful debate, name another coast that is as mountainous and contains as thick as rain forest. Other than Samana which in all honesty never been to but appears as a second to the Barahona, Bahoruco and Indenpendencia regions of the southwest.

Feb 15, 2005
additionally, for those exploring investment opportunities, I would say that there is a strong possibility that flights from Puerto Rico to Maria Montez Airport in Barahona will commence shortly. If you are interested in investing in beach front, oceanfront or ocean view property or the mid to long term I would think that now is the perfect time.

John Black

Jan 29, 2009
additionally, for those exploring investment opportunities, I would say that there is a strong possibility that flights from Puerto Rico to Maria Montez Airport in Barahona will commence shortly. If you are interested in investing in beach front, oceanfront or ocean view property or the mid to long term I would think that now is the perfect time.

Thank you. I hope you are right. Even my focus is to purchase a beach front land for me and not for resale, it is always nice to see that value is rising.

Feb 15, 2005
if you have a specific idea of what you are looking for, why don't you PM me and I can give your some pointers or suggestions. That is, if Barahona and it's surrounding areas are of serious interest.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yes I agree that less traveled roads maintain their durability as in the case in Barahona and westerly. But I again have to disagree that there is "absolutely no water". How in fact can there be so much abundance of foliage. If you can for the sake of respectful debate, name another coast that is as mountainous and contains as thick as rain forest. Other than Samana which in all honesty never been to but appears as a second to the Barahona, Bahoruco and Indenpendencia regions of the southwest.
Never said there was no water. Might be a few areas with enough water/rain to make things green, but the totality of the area away from the coast is desert. Some folks LIKE desert. The SW definitely has great beauty, for sure.

And, not to be argumentative, even the wettest areas of the SW Coast is NOTHNG like Samana. Samana is a jungle compared to the SW.

13 of us just got back from 5 days of touring the SW on V-Stroms. Our guests, many of whom had taken our North Coast tour, had an awesome time! I'll post a link to ride reports from other forums when they come available.

Good luck promoting your real estate listings.

Feb 15, 2005
cobraboy;7 Good luck promoting your real estate listings.[/QUOTE said:
jajaja I'm not promoting my real estate listing jajaja.
That is my website but I'm more promoting the southwest. Those properties are friends which are selling their lands and I happen to have their trust and a website.
jajaja.

But I'm partial to the southwest no doubt about it