What is the future of Barahona?

Feb 15, 2005
The area is beautiful for eco-toursim but for living full time it's not ready yet. The hospital is terrible and if you have dollars you may have some comforts it is really far below the comfort threshold at this time as we know it. The south is very under developed and would take major investments to make it semi comfortable for foreigners .

roks33

Jan 21, 2007
They did change the jefe for tourism in the district, looks he has a little more interest in tourism.
We will see in the future.

roks33

Jan 21, 2007
Reaction to R. Alberto,

There are different clinics in Barahona, and the healthcare is not that bad.
I had to stay there last year in very bad condition, I stayed 5 days and they didn't make any mistake.
In Europe I would have died because I had 3 tropical deseases, but the lab. knew in 1 hour the deseases. They did give the right threatment and the nurses were of good quality.

The building/room/food were bad, but the threatment ok.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I'm assuming that is 20 M. as in thousand. Mil in Spanish is 1,000. 20,000 pesos is $563 dollars per meter. For a grand total of $177,464 US or

The situation with the prices that people are asking for their land and houses is the same in the entire country. Often times a price is set and paper work is printed and ready to sign and the land owner says "hmmm, I have the "potential' to make more money", they raise the price $20,000 and the next thing you know the deal is off but the price stays where they jacked it up to. They sit on it for 3 years and then it goes all over again. I've seen it here in Samana with friends of mine and all over the country. The price never comes down unless a foreigner is selling.

I will say one thing about the south. The water is the most beautiful I have ever seen in my life. I think that the prices should be in the millions just based on the water color. If I had seen that part of the DR before I came to Samana seven years ago I would have bought land and settled in the Paraiso area. Extraordinary!!!

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Barahona land prices

Hola mi amigos,

Not much time this morning but will post a Observation from the Frontier this evening on this thread The future of Barahona.

regarding land prices I know of oceanfrontage at $ 700RD /m2 so not sure where everyone is getting the cost theyu quote in this thread.

take care

kFrancisco de Cabral

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Barahona facts:

airport is running with flights from Puerto Rico
lots of land for sale
beachlots starting at 20 usd per m2 (where can you find that next to good roads, airport, good infrastructure and large city
Barahona with 70.000 people is a large city
good medical facilities
schools
construction cheaper than in the rest of the DR
more sun than in Punta Cana and less rain

Find that somewhere else in the DR...

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
and forgot something:

building density in general is 45 bedrooms per 10.000 m2...

So, what do you want more...

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Observation from the Frontier

Hola mi amigos,

Sorry for the delay in getting this Observation on line. The first couple of times I ran over the time limit Robert had set for the system and lost everything...Then I received a note form the mother type mother in the States that she was having medical problems and had to take care of that situation..

So what is the Future of Barahona ???

It will always be what " you want it to be " if you are looking for a real Dominicana lifestyle. And it should be noted that throughout this thread there has been some slighly incorrect observations that can be traced mostly to what is your defination of " Barahona " The city, the province or the total Southwest,

The city is a bayside community of over 70,000 people that has not been bastardized by the tourism trade. It has its own airport, note I say IT HAS AN AIRPORT, not it WILL HAVE AN AIRPORT....it is open for use, has customs officials, AV gas and security. It was built to be here WHEN WE WANT TO USE IT...it is large enough to land a 747 and is used at present for private aircraft and the landing of commerical cargo flights. There is a concerted effort to reopen the San Juan - Barahona - San Juan connection that has existed in the past so that folks wanting to visit our arean will not have to be tied up in SDQ or other entry points.

The city also has an active Port from which we export the best Gypsum in the world and thoughout the Caribbean our excess production of concrete products. We also have a private Marina which allows access to some of the best fishing on the island. While we do not have a scuba operation in town, those folks that do bring in there own equipment can dive a " wall " that is from 60 ft to 300 ft that run over 50 miles down our coast line. the coast is also dotted with excellent snorkling locations.

The province of Barahona is the most unique on the Island, having five ( 5 ) different temporate zone within its boundaries...one of the reasons it is a leader in eco-tourism for the RD. We have the desert with its hot springs of Canoa, the Yange Del Sur delta, the once under water Neyba valley, the Barhruco mountains and the Larimar Coast where the mountains run into the sea.

Our beaches are for the most part rocky as they are nothing more than shelves of the the mountains being pounded by the sea. Our coast line drops to 60m within 1/2km of the coast, 1000m within 3km of the coast and 2000m within 5km of the coast. Our deepest spot is over 4000m.

We boast some of the most photographed beaches in the Caribbean, Playa San Rafael with its two rivers entering the sea, Playa Paraiso with the second best wind surfing on the island, Los Patos with the world shortest river ( check Quinness ) and Playa Quemaito with its dead coral reef being right off the beach. It is dead beause of the abundance of fresh water entering the area, you can in fact dig a hole some ten feet inland from the sea and have it fill with freah water.

There are NO ALL Inclusive hotels but we do have some of the finest small hotle on the island. From the five star Casa Bonito, to the Playa Azul, the Pointeverde and others.

We have land being purchased weekly, houses being built and controlled progress underway...the future is just what we want it to be, without the tourist that change the Republica Dominicana into something not real.

take care,

kFrancisco de Cabral

destinationbarahona

Nov 22, 2008
www.destinationbarahona.com
So when do they come from Puerto Rico?

It is so many things what was promised in the past.

The thermal project in Canoa had problems with authorities. Start with a delay.
The italien Larimar Hotel and apartment project in Quemaito? Stopped for a multa. I will not go in details here. just recommend a local press:
Armario Libre, also online now.
Armario Libre, Tenemos un solo compromiso, la verdad!
And you will see a report about that. The journalist is always interested to bring the positive parts from this region. But his words now sound very hard:
If the Gov. want something positive done, they have to talk local politicians! Because they are the once who disturb a lot many investors.
And without more (and big!) investors the future will be :ermm:

And 70.000 habitants is ok. Much more in the area around. AND NOT ONE really shop you can name: Supermarket. Shopping still has to be done in SD!

About the clinics: I know a very good and famous doctor. From Barahona, but he worked in the US and later also in SD. I asked him for recommandations, if I get really thick: the answer: Go to SD! If it is really something urgent, he gave me the phonenumber to a private doctor. Just to get the 1st help.

Feb 15, 2005
The future of the southwest is tricky. Certainly there have been speculation for many many years as to when tourism will arrive. As many mentioned here, the prices of many of the properties are way too high. However, understand that many of the properties are large and it is possible for an investor to purchase large parcels of property for $8-$10 a sq. mt.

Here you can find ocean view properties in abundance and possibly very economical. The Paraiso area is great for investment and so is the town of Enriquillo which is a little further west. However, to me it is preferable that someone purchases within a group of occupied homes or villas in order to share: infrastructure and security among a few important items. Although this becomes more expensive. There are a number of communities in which you can build a home for $160,000 with property included, ocean views. Again, in my opinion, it's important to purchase in an active community in order to share infrastructure and security.

Tonydomrep

Feb 22, 2009
Prices and land

If somebody is interested in land in Barahona, beachfront, oceanfront or oceanview. Just PM me. I bought overthere 3 lots myself.