What is the future of Barahona?

Aug 19, 2004
"It definitely has an "unspolied" feel to it, but you can also feel major development on it's way." - I think they have been saying that for the last 20 years.

There probably is room for small eco-type hotel businesses but as for main stream tourism the beaches are not of sand and the sea appears quite rough with strong currents. Barahona has lived in hope of something major happening but I just can't see it in terms of main-stream tourism.

IMO - leave it as it is - the "remoteness" of the area is its unique selling point.

Feb 15, 2005
The remoteness is very similar to an area in Coasta Rica called Manuel Antonio, incredibly beautiful.
But has a large tourist population, which can happen to Barahona. Definitely I agree, the beach will have to have some reconstruction.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
But has a large tourist population, which can happen to Barahona. Definitely I agree, the beach will have to have some reconstruction.
Then it wouldn't be a natural beach. That would fly in the face of the purpose of eco-tourism.

It's a beautiful area. We will have several tours a year there. For a motocycle rider, it's awesome, some great roads to ride. Our guests, all 9 of them, loved it.

It is what it is: dry, desert pretty much, rocky but beautiful beaches, spectacular scenery, and some interesting culture. But I doubt it'll ever be a tourist Mecca like the North Coast, East, Southeast and Samana.

And I am hopeful the gubmint continues to restrict development of Bahia de las Aguilas. It'd be a tragedy to spoil that area.

BTW-I don't know if there is another area of the country that has so much property for sale. It seems odd NOT to see a "Se Vende" sign on property. Your listings HAVE to be in the high hundreds or thousands in number. I talked to a guy who has had his ocean view property for sale for 10 years now.

Feb 15, 2005
Cobraboy,

From my understanding the majority of lands for sale is not really in the hundreds or thousands but in the hundreds of thousands as in the hundreds of thousands of mt2.

The area in the Vuelta de Cabino, I pretty certain you would know the location as a welled southwest traveler, let me see that's what, 3 trips a year! Awesome.

Anyway, this area sold out approximately 20 sites in two years. But it's a development and most foreigners are interested in such and not isolated locations.

As more developments are designed, approved and constructed there will be more attraction.

BTW, there are current negotiations for 25,000,000 mt2 in the Cabo Rojo area of Perdenales.

PS: today was the inaguration of a weekly flight from San Juan to Barahona's Maria Montez Airport. Schedules are for 3 flights a week. Google, "Viaje Barahona San Juan"

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cobraboy,

From my understanding the majority of lands for sale is not really in the hundreds or thousands but in the hundreds of thousands as in the hundreds of thousands of mt2.

The area in the Vuelta de Cabino, I pretty certain you would know the location as a welled southwest traveler, let me see that's what, 3 trips a year! Awesome.

Anyway, this area sold out approximately 20 sites in two years. But it's a development and most foreigners are interested in such and not isolated locations.

As more developments are designed, approved and constructed there will be more attraction.

BTW, there are current negotiations for 25,000,000 mt2 in the Cabo Rojo area of Perdenales.

PS: today was the inaguration of a weekly flight from San Juan to Barahona's Maria Montez Airport. Schedules are for 3 flights a week. Google, "Viaje Barahona San Juan"
Not debating you, just made a comment about the huge number of properties for sale.

Don't know nor really care about Vuelta de Cabino. I have no intention of buying anything in the southwest. Nice place to visit...

Heck, I hope you do so well selling them you'll buy some advertising on DR1, since you're pimping it here anyway.

:classic:

Have a nice day.

Feb 15, 2005
Not debating you, just made a comment about the huge number of properties for sale.

Don't know nor really care about Vuelta de Cabino. I have no intention of buying anything in the southwest. Nice place to visit...

Heck, I hope you do so well selling them you'll buy some advertising on DR1, since you're pimping it here anyway.

:classic:

Have a nice day.

I guess you must have followed the link. Thank you for visiting. With all due respect to DR1, I did ask the poster to pm me for any help I can provide. Which I have to apologies that I haven't as of yet. I guess I'm not that hungry.

Other than that next time you in one of your 3 times a year bicycle excursions to the southwest do slow down a bit and take in the lushness of Barahona.
You may never see such rain forests in a "desert" again.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I guess you must have followed the link. Thank you for visiting. With all due respect to DR1, I did ask the poster to pm me for any help I can provide. Which I have to apologies that I haven't as of yet. I guess I'm not that hungry.

Other than that next time you in one of your 3 times a year bicycle excursions to the southwest do slow down a bit and take in the lushness of Barahona.
You may never see such rain forests in a "desert" again.
Not gonna buy advertising, huh? Business that bad? RD1 is an outstanding advertising value. You really ought to pony up.

Barahona is a fine place. I guess I've spent maybe 15 nights there the last couple of years, never claimed to be an expert beyond showing our guests a great time...which we do.

No way I'd cal it "lush" or "rainforest". But compared to most of the rest of the region, it's green. But that's just one man's opinion. At least last week it was sunny, hot and dry while the rest of the DR was drowning.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Some pics from last weeks MotoCaribe "Desert Wee" tour-

From our hotel in Las Salinas:
IMG_1304.jpg

Need more cowbell? On the road between Enriquillo and Pedernales:
IMG_1365.jpg

Gathering of the local braintrust (Partner Ed's in the middle, waving, I'm left of him, some of our riders joined in). Kids flock to us wherever we go (note the tire-and-stick toys):
IMG_1363.jpg

The V-Strom caravan around Lake Enriquillo, the salt lake 145 feet below sea level. I'm next to the van. The blue in the background is the lake, taken from Las Caritas:
IMG_1343.jpg

One of our riders took these:
Not sure where this was taken, somewhere in the desert SW:
471397476_monh6-L.jpg

Playa Los Patos
471397184_WgBDX-L.jpg

Feb 15, 2005
Photos don't say what is the future of Barahona ;)

That is correct Sir.

The fact of the thread is that yesterday's inauguration is the first step in prompting developers to consider Barahona as a viable and less expensive alternative to small inns and hotels now that an airport can facilitate travel.

There are many similarities to Cabrera in the eastern part of the island in that the beaches are very rough and only very few (Perdenales) can boast powered sand beaches. However, given it's mountainous and eco-tourist possibilities is may hold attraction to families:

1) not looking for inclusive resorts
2) not looking for bar and single type activities.

These eco adventurers may indeed prefer the visually beautiful southwest and hopefully the opening of Maria Montez Airport is the must anticipated beginning.

Jan H

Feb 11, 2009
That is correct Sir.

The fact of the thread is that yesterday's inauguration is the first step in prompting developers to consider Barahona as a viable and less expensive alternative to small inns and hotels now that an airport can facilitate travel.

There are many similarities to Cabrera in the eastern part of the island in that the beaches are very rough and only very few (Perdenales) can boast powered sand beaches. However, given it's mountainous and eco-tourist possibilities is may hold attraction to families:

1) not looking for inclusive resorts
2) not looking for bar and single type activities.

These eco adventurers may indeed prefer the visually beautiful southwest and hopefully the opening of Maria Montez Airport is the must anticipated beginning.

Very nice comment. I do agree...

roks33

Jan 21, 2007
First of all I'll introduce myself and I'am sorry when my english is not perfect.
I live for 4 years in the Barahona district, first in town and after in the campo. I bought land build a house etc.

I am not good in forums like this and I don't like many people speak without knowing anything, maybe this forum is for tourists but why open a discussion "what is the future of Barahona".

Nobody knows what is the future, but if you think something it is nice to hear or read why you think this, all the blabla bla. So for me facts are important and thats it. Only 1/2 persons came with facts.

Some facts in my opinion.

The land and house prices in 4 years doubled, trippled or more, especially beachfront properties.
Many properties are sold, in this area there are only big properties for sale, except few small parcels for about 2.500 pesos por metro at the beach.
But not only the prices of real estate, everything doubled: rice/ acete/mais/pan/cigarillo etc.

Everything in this district is speculating, but for me, I agree only with R. Alberto mailings, if you can buy anything for a reasonabel price you never lose any money.
The only thing we need is a few big investors, Playa Salladila, Juan Esteban, Quemaito and Arroyo, four spots for Resort or Golf. Than maybe few flights will enter at Maria Montes etc etc.

Also we need a different person at tourism in Barahona, the jefe, and the woman from Eco-tourism should have more power and money from the capital.

Greetings, all the best.

John Black

Jan 29, 2009
First of all I'll introduce myself and I'am sorry when my english is not perfect.
I live for 4 years in the Barahona district, first in town and after in the campo. I bought land build a house etc.

I am not good in forums like this and I don't like many people speak without knowing anything, maybe this forum is for tourists but why open a discussion "what is the future of Barahona".

Nobody knows what is the future, but if you think something it is nice to hear or read why you think this, all the blabla bla. So for me facts are important and thats it. Only 1/2 persons came with facts.

Some facts in my opinion.

The land and house prices in 4 years doubled, trippled or more, especially beachfront properties.
Many properties are sold, in this area there are only big properties for sale, except few small parcels for about 2.500 pesos por metro at the beach.
But not only the prices of real estate, everything doubled: rice/ acete/mais/pan/cigarillo etc.

Everything in this district is speculating, but for me, I agree only with R. Alberto mailings, if you can buy anything for a reasonabel price you never lose any money.
The only thing we need is a few big investors, Playa Salladila, Juan Esteban, Quemaito and Arroyo, four spots for Resort or Golf. Than maybe few flights will enter at Maria Montes etc etc.

Also we need a different person at tourism in Barahona, the jefe, and the woman from Eco-tourism should have more power and money from the capital.

Greetings, all the best.

Thank you, friend. I am actually flying to Santo Domingo today and will check Barahona next day. Then I will post my facts and comments.

Feb 15, 2005
John Black, you'll be best serve to reach out to Roks33 in order to travel get a better idea of what Barahona is at right now.

Also Roks33:
"Also we need a different person at tourism in Barahona, the jefe, and the woman from Eco-tourism should have more power and money from the capital."

Roks33 you are very very right. Eco-Tourism has done a very very poor job of promotions. I can put together a better Public Relation and Marketing for Barahona. They have done enough to develop this beautiful area.

roks33

Jan 21, 2007
I just came back from this zone and my opinion is:

1. Almost nobody thinks about the f.crisis
2. Almost everybody raised prices for land, last year dop 120.000 this year 500.000
3. The projects in Barahona/ Quemaito etc. didn't finished, just started
4. There is not a big investing company at the moment, maybe because of tourism-goverment and the little influence from Eco-tourism. This Italian woman wants to help everybody but have
little power/money
5. Maria Montes, I think its for sale, or they will try to sell it. No tourist, no Hotel/resort, no Golf etc no flights.
6. If you want to buy any property, maybe its better to wait some time, for the long term I think all the Barahona-Pedernales zone could be a good investment.

John Black

Jan 29, 2009
I read today a post Moving to the Baharona Area on DR1 forum and I was shock that DR1 members didn't write anything good about Barahona, just bad warnings. If you want Barahona be a nice place, don't stop good people to come, please...