When it rains, it pours.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Yesterday a distant relative lost an entire wood house up in the campo over here too. Electrical cable started the fire, burnt the house to the ground and a light truck parked in the garage. Really devastating for the family.
That's the problem with wood houses.
It takes so little to get a fire going, and even if you lived two blocks from the fire station, there's not much chance of saving one of those houses once the fire starts, so the good folks lose everything.
Nothing is salvageable.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
One of the neighbours told me she would go see the local mayor and our governor, to ask for help, building materials, etc.
These people may be poor, but they are rich in character and warm of the heart.

Could she also enlist the help of mayor and governor in negotiating with company Maria bought the cooker and fridge from, to see if it was possible to reduce the amount they had to pay back?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Could she also enlist the help of mayor and governor in negotiating with company Maria bought the cooker and fridge from, to see if it was possible to reduce the amount they had to pay back?
I've been wondering about how flexible those people might be.
I really don't know who should approach them for the best results, but I will pass on the suggestion.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Dios mio!!.

and the three kids were left with the clothes on their backs.
"TheRock", you, of all people, knows my stance when it comes to kids!!.

You know you CAN count on me on ANYTHING related to kids' hardships.

Send me a PM and let me know in how many ways I can help!.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
"TheRock", you, of all people, knows my stance when it comes to kids!!.

You know you CAN count on me on ANYTHING related to kids' hardships.

Send me a PM and let me know in how many ways I can help!.
First, a great big thanks to the folks who are & will be helping Marie & her family.
There's no way I can avoid doing the collecting here in the DR, but I'm hoping that snoozer will handle anything from abroad.
You all know who you are, so I'm thanking you on Marie's behalf.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hey Loca.
The children are as follows.
13 year old girl
10 year old girl.
7 year old boy.

Thanks Rocky! Luggage permitting, I will pick up some supplies for them...alternately cash will be the option. If I am able to bring some clothes etc down, would you be able to please point me in the direction as to how I can get them to this family.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Thanks Rocky! Luggage permitting, I will pick up some supplies for them...alternately cash will be the option. If I am able to bring some clothes etc down, would you be able to please point me in the direction as to how I can get them to this family.
I'd be honoured to take you out there.
It's not far. 10 minutes by car.
And it really touches people in a special way, when a complete stranger shows up bearing gifts, no matter how big or small they are.
Thanks, Loca.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have the accurate info now.
It was a stove and a dining set, not a fridge.
They have already spoken to the folks at the store, and they have accepted to forgive the loan on the stove.
That leaves the dining set loan, and I've convinced Marie that it would be best to clear that up right now while she has the cash, so as to not be burdened with the bi-monthly payments, that would have her paying double the amount, anyhow.
She still has a sad look on her face, but there's a tiny bit more spark in her voice, just a tiny bit.
She is eternally grateful to all those who contributed.
I took her pic this AM so you would know who she is, but I decided to not post it.
She looks so friggin depressed, that, well... Let's just say that it isn't her best pic, and she would probably be horrified to have that pic on the internet.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I'd be honoured to take you out there.
It's not far. 10 minutes by car.
And it really touches people in a special way, when a complete stranger shows up bearing gifts, no matter how big or small they are.
Thanks, Loca.

That would be great, thanks for the offer. I will be in contact closer to the time and in the meantime, I will do my part on this end.

Clothes

Rocky:

I have posted a message on some other boards that if anyone has extra room for clothes in their luggage to please consider taking them along and drop them off at your place.

We, the directors of Beyond the Beach Children's Foundation will be sending a monetary donation to help out these kids, Fireguy will be working on the logistics for that.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Marie will be thrilled to hear the good news.
As we have received some offers from members in North America, we have arranged that "apostropheman" receive all North American based cash donations, and he can be contacted through PM, here on DR1.
This will avoid logistical problems and save money as well, so more of it can get to Marie and her family.
Although she seems to still be in shock, she did light up for a moment as she was telling me how much she appreciated all the help that's being offered to her.
She's a simple serious hard working person, and highly deserving of all your generous help.
Gracias.

A

apostropheman

It's my pleasure to help.

anyone wishing to make a donation please PM me for contact info.

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Thanks

Thanks Apostropheman for stepping up to the plate. Initially I did not understand what Rocky was asking me to do and by the time I did you had offere to help.

These sad stories are all too common in the DR, I come across them all the time when I am helping out in the Sosua area. For instance last winter I went to help at a mobile clinic in a Haitian batey near Luperon, the night before six houses had been washed away by the river, we managed to pool some money and supplies to help the affected families out but it felt so inadequate compared to their losses.

A

apostropheman

thanks Snoozer,

the timing is good for me. i have some smare time in the evenings to get this organized and i would like to help . if you have any suggestions please let me know.

i've been asked for the best way to get donations to me and i can think of 2 cost effective ways:

1. mail a cheque/money order

2. make an online funds transfer.

i make online transfers all the time within Canada with my bank for a flat $1.50 fee. it's fast, easy and if you have online banking you can probably do it too.

if anyone has any other suggestions please speak up :)

thanks!
Thanks Apostropheman for stepping up to the plate. Initially I did not understand what Rocky was asking me to do and by the time I did you had offere to help.

These sad stories are all too common in the DR, I come across them all the time when I am helping out in the Sosua area. For instance last winter I went to help at a mobile clinic in a Haitian batey near Luperon, the night before six houses had been washed away by the river, we managed to pool some money and supplies to help the affected families out but it felt so inadequate compared to their losses.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
Hey, guys I live in the capital how can i help, where do i send money ? Just let me know.

My father was a Shriner for 35 years and I know first hand how much the warm loving touch or another human being can mean.

So Just let me Know.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey, guys I live in the capital how can i help, where do i send money ? Just let me know.

My father was a Shriner for 35 years and I know first hand how much the warm loving touch or another human being can mean.

So Just let me Know.
Thank you, Cap't.
Melida Bonilla Sosa will be receiving WU and Caribe Tours "envios".
I vouch for her personally.
One needs only send the "envio" details to me by PM and I will pass them onto her.
If you need any of her personal info, one can PM me for them, as well.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
i am a trusting person just send me the details. who and where do send it. phone # and cedular is very helpful.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Como todos sabemos.....

Thank you, Cap't.
Melida Bonilla Sosa will be receiving WU and Caribe Tours "envios".
I vouch for her personally.
One needs only send the "envio" details to me by PM and I will pass them onto her.
If you need any of her personal info, one can PM me for them, as well.
As SOME of us know:

All that's needed, if sending "things" by Caribe Tours or Metro is the person's location, name and phone number!. NOTHING more.

When the package get there, all they do is call the person so they can go get their package, or envelope, or anything.

A

apostropheman

additionally i have a paypal account.

https://www.paypal.com/row/cgi-bin/...aca35d810c8ecf1e52c5f9c1bfc969f9f895628b8c9b3

email = apostropheman@hotmail.com

thanks Robbie for reminding me :)

thanks Snoozer,

the timing is good for me. i have some smare time in the evenings to get this organized and i would like to help . if you have any suggestions please let me know.

i've been asked for the best way to get donations to me and i can think of 2 cost effective ways:

1. mail a cheque/money order

2. make an online funds transfer.

i make online transfers all the time within Canada with my bank for a flat $1.50 fee. it's fast, easy and if you have online banking you can probably do it too.

if anyone has any other suggestions please speak up :)

thanks!