When it rains, it pours.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I am in. Wow how many poor people would benefit if we can do this from time to time but of course knowing that its legitimate. God bless you Rocky.

A

apostropheman

i just received our first donation, via paypal :)

thank you Robbie!!!

A

apostropheman

a BIG thank you to:

2Leftfeet!!

(ironically our second donation):cheeky: and via paypal

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Yesterday a distant relative lost an entire wood house up in the campo over here too. Electrical cable started the fire, burnt the house to the ground and a light truck parked in the garage. Really devastating for the family.

I will give 'something, somewhere' to help someone before I leave DR on Friday, but I can't help but feel that the post above from page one has almost been glossed over? Perhaps I'm out of order even mentioning it, in which case, I apologise unreservedly, but it feels like the devastating loss experienced by the family of a woman who works at Rocky's is worth collecting for, but the 'distant relative' who is almost certainly as traumatised doesn't get a collection? I'm sure that people who've been to Rocky's and have met Marie want to give to help her directly but...

I don't know, a few too many Bohemia's this evening, with Pink Floyd playing in the background, I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a keyboard, let alone to 'think out loud'...

...but if one family is deserving... ...isn't the other?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
:bunny:Some folks, newly arrived in the DR, heard about Marie's plight.
They just dropped in here with bags and bags of kitchen stuff, toiletries, etc and a wad of money.
There are some big giant hearts out there.:bunny:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I will give 'something, somewhere' to help someone before I leave DR on Friday, but I can't help but feel that the post above from page one has almost been glossed over? Perhaps I'm out of order even mentioning it, in which case, I apologise unreservedly, but it feels like the devastating loss experienced by the family of a woman who works at Rocky's is worth collecting for, but the 'distant relative' who is almost certainly as traumatised doesn't get a collection? I'm sure that people who've been to Rocky's and have met Marie want to give to help her directly but...

I don't know, a few too many Bohemia's this evening, with Pink Floyd playing in the background, I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a keyboard, let alone to 'think out loud'...

I dont think its a case of one being more important than the other...everything in life is a choice...we would all love to be able to help every person less fortunate than ourselves but very few people are in a position to do so, so we go about helping those we can and trying to make a difference in some small way.

BlueLodge

Dec 28, 2005

You said it yourself, many of us have met Marie and feel part of her pain. What can we do? Those of us that can have opened our pocketbooks in hopes of making her desperate situation a bit more bearable. Obviously there are many deserving and needy people in the world, but many of us have a connection with Marie.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I really dont think anyone should have to justify why and to whom they give charity.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Just to clarify, an edited [to try and clarify my position, while maintaining the anonymity of the original sender] response I sent to a PM I received...

Wow! Like I said, if it's taken in the way you have, I'm sorry, that's not for one moment what I meant, or intended. I don't want to put anyone off donating at all, and to be honest, I will be donating some cash anyway. My point is, on page one, before anyone had suggested a collection for Marie, another member who has 900+ posts, mentioned another equally devastating fire, but no one has offered to help there. If Marie's family get (for argument's sake) $500, it won't come close to replacing her loss. but in that instance, given that I've never met Marie, I'd rather she get $500 and the other family who I've also never met, get $50, rather than Marie get $550 and the other family get nothing. BUT If the choice is Marie gets $550 and the other family nothing, or Marie gets $500 and the other family still get nothing, then I'd rather the former. Hope that makes my view clearer? (And like I said, Bohemia is probably not making me my clearest!) I'm not in any way trying to make people feel guilty for helping one family over another and certainly don't want to put people off donating at all. At the end of the day, we do what we can...

No loss of respect from this end...

Cheers, Keith

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Just to clarify, an edited [to try and clarify my position, while maintaining the anonymity of the original sender] response I sent to a PM I received...

Wow! Like I said, if it's taken in the way you have, I'm sorry, that's not for one moment what I meant, or intended. I don't want to put anyone off donating at all, and to be honest, I will be donating some cash anyway. My point is, on page one, before anyone had suggested a collection for Marie, another member who has 900+ posts, mentioned another equally devastating fire, but no one has offered to help there. If Marie's family get (for argument's sake) $500, it won't come close to replacing her loss. but in that instance, given that I've never met Marie, I'd rather she get $500 and the other family who I've also never met, get $50, rather than Marie get $550 and the other family get nothing. BUT If the choice is Marie gets $550 and the other family nothing, or Marie gets $500 and the other family still get nothing, then I'd rather the former. Hope that makes my view clearer? (And like I said, Bohemia is probably not making me my clearest!) I'm not in any way trying to make people feel guilty for helping one family over another and certainly don't want to put people off donating at all. At the end of the day, we do what we can...

No loss of respect from this end...

Cheers, Keith

Thanks for the clarification, no offence taken!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't want to put anyone off donating at all, and to be honest, I will be donating some cash anyway. My point is, on page one, before anyone had suggested a collection for Marie, another member who has 900+ posts, mentioned another equally devastating fire, but no one has offered to help there. Cheers, Keith

And there are also all the other situations which many of us are involved in helping in an ongoing way over a long period of time. Living here fulltime both exposes us to the unrelenting poverty, gives us the responsibility of doing something, what we can, about it, but also necessitates a certain lack of sentimentality about the fact that there are some who will never see our help. Maybe a defence mechanism, maybe just accepting life here for what it is?

If you're still popping over to us Wednesday would you mind taking our donation for Maria back with you to Rocky's? Ta ever so. :)

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com

It's not a matter of one family is deserving and the other is not.

SJH mentioned a similar tragedy, as I'm sure others could as well, but SJH, you, and others are free to start another thread if you want to take it further.

Rocky's original post is about a particular person's family and a specific tragedy.
I don't think it would be appropriate for me to start listing other worthy causes in this thread.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
It's not a matter of one family is deserving and the other is not.

SJH mentioned a similar tragedy, as I'm sure others could as well, but SJH, you, and others are free to start another thread if you want to take it further.

Rocky's original post is about a particular person's family and a specific tragedy.
I don't think it would be appropriate for me to start listing other worthy causes in this thread.

I apologise unreservedly to everyone who felt my comments were inappropriate and I don't wish to detract further, in this thread or elsewhere, from the very real trauma that is being experienced, by mentioning it further. Sorry.

A

apostropheman

UPDATE:

we have received 2 generous donations via paypal, so far, and got a PM this morning signaling that there is a large wire transfer on the way. i anticipate that arriving early next week :)

thanks to all that have contributed so far!!

please don't be shy about donating. a cheque in the mail is great if you're not up to speed on paypal or email transfers. PM me for my address. also i'd be pleased to guide you through the paypal/email or internet transfer process if you wish.

i will be covering any fees associated with these transfers as my donation as well as topping up the fund if i can.

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I wasnt looking for donations actually. Our local community will take care of the family. I just found it an interesting coincidence to have the two places burn to the ground the same night.

The sad fact is, it really isnt possible to solve all the problems on the island or the world.

I hope both families get their lives back together quickly.

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
If anybody from montreal is planning on sending let me know as ill be collecting money from friends and family ( liked mentioned to marco early today) and will be sending it off nxt week!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Update report

Amazingly enough, they have already cleaned up all the debris from the fire, and started to lay a concrete block base to rebuild, all done with the help of neighbours and your financial aid.
On top of that, I was pleased to find out that she took my advice, to pay off the loan for the kitchen stuff she had bought the day before the fire, so she won't have that pressure hanging over her head.
She has also taken two small jobs on the side, to get things moving quicker, and I finally saw a hint of a smile from her today.