Who Controls the Dominican Republic

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
absolutely right. those are the guys who decide whether or not Leonel runs for president.
I'm happy to see that you know whats really up in this world. you know something i never believe that sh*T when my father used to tell me that when i was a youngster. but now after seeing all the crazy **** in this world I believe 100 percent.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
absolutely right. those are the guys who decide whether or not Leonel runs for president.

As you have absolute inside information....why would they bother? They have so much money, kids study in Switzerland, money in Switzerland, houses abroad everywhere....
Fill me in Gorgon.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
As you have absolute inside information....why would they bother? They have so much money, kids study in Switzerland, money in Switzerland, houses abroad everywhere....
Fill me in Gorgon.

please forgive the way i respond to you, because i do not want to sound condescending, in any way. i just want to express something i know to be reality in the DR, and other territories like it.

the real control in these places is the little thing they call old money. that includes all the islands in this region. ask anyone in Haiti about the name Brandt. those people do not put themselves up for election. these families have been around since Columbus. the old families marry each other, and they are the de facto control in the country. they are the people you and i will never see in our daily rounds. they are the reason why supermarkets have home delivery...they do not go out and shop among the hoi polloi.

Leonel Fernandez came from a very humble home, and never went to an Ivy League school. he used to own an old Volkswagen Beetle before he became President. does anyone realistically believe he controls anything beside crowd sympathy? if someone from one of the real centers of control decide he must step down, he cannot defy them and announce that he is running for President....it would not end well.

Aug 6, 2006
It is sort of like the question "who REALLY controls the US?" The president controls the government, but the economy is not run by the government in any absolute terms.
There are groups of wealthy people whose control is acknowledged and not infringed upon by other groups of wealthy people. The military certainly has veto power in the DR.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
please forgive the way i respond to you, because i do not want to sound condescending, in any way. i just want to express something i know to be reality in the DR, and other territories like it.

the real control in these places is the little thing they call old money. that includes all the islands in this region. ask anyone in Haiti about the name Brandt. those people do not put themselves up for election. these families have been around since Columbus. the old families marry each other, and they are the de facto control in the country. they are the people you and i will never see in our daily rounds. they are the reason why supermarkets have home delivery...they do not go out and shop among the hoi polloi.

Leonel Fernandez came from a very humble home, and never went to an Ivy League school. he used to own an old Volkswagen Beetle before he became President. does anyone realistically believe he controls anything beside crowd sympathy? if someone from one of the real centers of control decide he must step down, he cannot defy them and announce that he is running for President....it would not end well.

Thanks Gorgon but mentioning the Brandt's is not answering the question.
Anyone outside Europe might think that the whole bunch of castle owning old money and "sang bleu" would have power. Well they don't. Yes on style, fashion, what to do, behaviour. But not political.
So untill anyone comes with evidence, I say...it is the government that rules the great Republica.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There is abundant evidence that less than 1% of the population in Haiti own more than 95 % of the wealth ,but there is no evidence that this is the case in the DR . In fact much to the contrary. I agree that the power is with Parliament.The USA seldom oversteps the mark in the DR nor does any one person carry too much weight ,I have never seen any evidence to the contrary . The worst that has been done by the USA was to withdraw a few visas.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Believe me, there is no Carlos Slim on this island. Carlos is worth 65 billion plus and is a schooled engineer.
He does own a cottage (to make it sound humble, lol) in Romana.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Brits reading this, click on the link in Matilda's post. The third richest guy, Mr Bonetti looks identical to Del Boy. Just you wait Rodders we're gonna be Millionaires. Obviously it came true. Sorry, if you're not from the UK this will be lost on you.

nrg2003

Jul 25, 2017
Wow we're at 4 pages. I'm impressed. So far we have 1 Dominicans abroad, 2 the Dominican government, 3 old wealthy Dominican families, 4 the US government and 5 the Dominican military. I'm inclined to go with 2, 3 and 4 only because 5 does whatever 2 tells it to do and I've been told that 3/2 steals whatever 1 gives and the cycle continues.  

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Wow we're at 4 pages. I'm impressed. So far we have 1 Dominicans abroad, 2 the Dominican government, 3 old wealthy Dominican families, 4 the US government and 5 the Dominican military. I'm inclined to go with 2, 3 and 4 only because 5 does whatever 2 tells it to do and I've been told that 3/2 steals whatever 1 gives and the cycle continues.  

Who are the 4 that are in the US gov?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Brits reading this, click on the link in Matilda's post. The third richest guy, Mr Bonetti looks identical to Del Boy. Just you wait Rodders we're gonna be Millionaires. Obviously it came true. Sorry, if you're not from the UK this will be lost on you.

LOL!!!!!!!!! Scary likeness!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm surprised no reference has been made to Félix Bautista.

he controls nothing . he is just a grifter. you will never see him in the magazine called Sociales. if you dont get a space there you are just a peasant with a bank account. a philistine in designer jeans.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Well Sir Delboy IS a millionaire now..Rodders as well probably with his long face. One of my favorite series. I have seen them all over and over. 

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
The most powerful families in the DR have a network among each other and they do control the country. Have seen it and have met several of them while I was in the DR.
The DR in that sense is the same as other Latin countries such as Panama for example where also just a few families call the shots.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014

So true ! :laugh::laugh::laugh