Who Controls the Dominican Republic

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Does it matter?

its a bunch of guys with names ending in, ios, inis, ettis, ellis, and of course Fausto and Belkis. Some sell products to increase diabetes others sell fake chinese products at 3 times the price of USA products. They share a common understanding, "its all about the money!"

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
buy the Sunday Listin Diario, and in it you will find a magazine called Sociales. look at the people on those pages. those are the people who effectively control the country.

No way Gorgon, my brother in law was on those pages about a year ago,  just because he is the manager of some all inclusive hotels, he isn't even Dominican...the only thing he controls are the hotels ...not even his wife.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Expat said it already. ;)

Ok I will get you some names, people that I know. Yunen (Yaritza), Magalis de Franco, los Ginebra ( the have a mansion in los Pinos in the street which has their last name). They have serious money (clinica, seguros etc), but they are not even interested in governing the country.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Ok I will get you some names, people that I know. Yunen (Yaritza), Magalis de Franco, los Ginebra ( the have a mansion in los Pinos in the street which has their last name). They have serious money (clinica, seguros etc), but they are not even interested in governing the country.

So you met people with some money in the DR, good for you!! ;)

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Fulano2 , of course you are right and glad you are trying to pin down an absurd statement . There is no network here controlling the DR ..our economy has grown too big for that and the people too independently minded.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
So you met people with some money in the DR, good for you!! ;)

That's not the point Frank, by the way you started, at least I gave names, you didn't and I wonder why :).  The point is, the people ( my wife and BIL and SIL) we know and we are not friends, are not interested in ruling the country. Don't take it wrong mate, I am not bragging. The very last thing that interests me is people with money. 

nrg2003

Jul 25, 2017
The most powerful families in the DR have a network among each other and they do control the country. Have seen it and have met several of them while I was in the DR. The DR in that sense is the same as other Latin countries such as Panama for example where also just a few families call the shots.

Do they all live in Santo Domingo or do some live in Santiago? And I agree with others, I'd like their names too but I'm sure they've been exposed in that book that I mentioned a few pages back anyway. 

nrg2003

Jul 25, 2017
Who are the 4 that are in the US gov?

There are no 4. I was just categorizing the groups that we've discussed so far that we think control the country.  But speaking of the US gov, since the former US ambassador to the DR, Wally Brewster, is gay, something tells me that in Santo Domingo there is a network of very affluent, very well-travelled gay men, some Dominican descent but mostly foreign, that live in the capital and have their own little secret gay network so to speak. I'll start a thread on that later on. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No way Gorgon, my brother in law was on those pages about a year ago,  just because he is the manager of some all inclusive hotels, he isn't even Dominican...the only thing he controls are the hotels ...not even his wife.

i did not say that everyone in that magazine controls anything. i said that the people with effective control can be found there.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
buy the Sunday Listin Diario, and in it you will find a magazine called Sociales. look at the people on those pages. those are the people who effectively control the country.

For HOY, it is the Saturday edition, and the name of the magazine is "es" as in "en sociedad". Most likely the same people and events as in your magazine, but I take them to be the children or hangers-on if you will, of the real movers and shakers of the RD. The people in charge are not concerned, nor can be bothered with silly photo ops, just as in every other corner of the world. The RD is no different.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
For HOY, it is the Saturday edition, and the name of the magazine is "es" as in "en sociedad". Most likely the same people and events as in your magazine, but I take them to be the children or hangers-on if you will, of the real movers and shakers of the RD. The people in charge are not concerned, nor can be bothered with silly photo ops, just as in every other corner of the world. The RD is no different.

do you remember some time back, when some punks killed the daughter of a doctor in Santiago for her cellphone? you remember how soon they got those guys, right? well, some people have the power to demand things...some to greater degrees than others. family name..

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
That's not the point Frank, by the way you started, at least I gave names, you didn't and I wonder why :).  The point is, the people ( my wife and BIL and SIL) we know and we are not friends, are not interested in ruling the country. Don't take it wrong mate, I am not bragging. The very last thing that interests me is people with money. 
Vicini, Marranzini etc you name it, remember I used to work for what used to be one of the largest companies in the DR and these guys have business dealings in everything. Also had half of the government as client, loved it when cops stopped me and I would pull out cards of generals and ministers. ;)

Do they all live in Santo Domingo or do some live in Santiago? And I agree with others, I'd like their names too but I'm sure they've been exposed in that book that I mentioned a few pages back anyway. 
These families are large so I reckon some of them must also live in Santiago.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
So up to now, no prove that families govern the country. In fact Juan Bautista Vicini ( el barbu) had political  ambitions with no result.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
So up to now, no prove that families govern the country. In fact Juan Bautista Vicini ( el barbu) had political  ambitions with no result.

No they don't govern the country. They own the country. The Vicinis own the majority of the land from La Romana to Bani. They also own the land Punta Catalina is being built on and most of Santo Domingo. There is loads to prove this. Here are a few to get you started.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econo...to-negotiate-punta-catalina-power-plant-land/
http://www.elmundo.es/cronica/2017/09/02/59a4325146163fef518b45c8.html
http://www.7dias.com.do/destacada/2...de-construye-punta-catalina.html#.Wc6741uPLIU

Matilda