Who Controls the Dominican Republic

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
In the front? Dominicans
Behind the scenes? The U.S. gov.

The DR can and does push the envelope from time to time, but the U.S. gov has the last word when it comes to the big issues on the island. Internally there are no more main families behind the economy as it was during the 70’s, 80’s and late 90’s.
The Diaspora has changed that picture radically since those times.
Like the saying goes: Money is power! The Diaspora has billions to make that point.

In net terms, it’s the tourism sector the one that now conducts the economy.

The fatter your wallet, the more power you can control in the DR.
Still when it comes to the big issues, Uncle Sam has the last word.

I would agree with Pichardo for probably the first time. We should all be aware that none of the little countries in the area do anything without permission of the US govt.
Der Fish

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Well let us look at this quite outlandish statement . I assume that Matilda has never been to the east or south or to the capital to see first hand how ludicrous this statement is. The Vincini family do NOT own the majority of land between la Romana and Bani ...that is easily disproved. They own the sugar fields around the San Pedro area but you can easily see where these lands start and finish and where the government owns land and la Romana Central owns land and where other people own land . Now in Santo Domingo the Vicini family have consolidated land in Sans Souci for a housing project that has stalled . They do not own most of the capital ...all that is total nonsense . To say that they own the country is quite absurd just as absurd as quoting anything as fact that as printed in Dominican Today .

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Well let us look at this quite outlandish statement . I assume that Matilda has never been to the east or south or to the capital to see first hand how ludicrous this statement is. The Vincini family do NOT own the majority of land between la Romana and Bani ...that is easily disproved. They own the sugar fields around the San Pedro area but you can easily see where these lands start and finish and where the government owns land and la Romana Central owns land and where other people own land . Now in Santo Domingo the Vicini family have consolidated land in Sans Souci for a housing project that has stalled . They do not own most of the capital ...all that is total nonsense . To say that they own the country is quite absurd just as absurd as quoting anything as fact that as printed in Dominican Today .

Haha Kipling. I lived for 10 years in Juan Dolio so yes I know the east and the capital. The Vicinis own most of the land in Guayacanes. I was involved with locals trying to get their land back there. They own much of the Colonial Zone, they own the land which Punta Catalina is built on. Read. Google. Check your facts before writing. If you can disprove it do so with facts. But you can't find the facts to disprove what I say as they are not there.

Matilda

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
No they don't govern the country. They own the country. The Vicinis own the majority of the land from La Romana to Bani. They also own the land Punta Catalina is being built on and most of Santo Domingo. There is loads to prove this. Here are a few to get you started.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econo...to-negotiate-punta-catalina-power-plant-land/
http://www.elmundo.es/cronica/2017/09/02/59a4325146163fef518b45c8.html
http://www.7dias.com.do/destacada/2...de-construye-punta-catalina.html#.Wc6741uPLIU

Matilda

Owning land is not owning a country.
I assume you are english. Well the prince of Wales and his family has lots of land. Do they govern the country? NO

Last edited:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Earlier on in this thread I made a reference to one Félix Bautista, and he was dismissed as being the equivalent of a peasant with a bank account, although, he owns his fair share of diversified businesses here within the RD, and other countries within our world. As of 2010, when he first attained his senate seat, he had a worth of 1.8 billion (US). Where can I line up to be called a "peasant with a bank account"? I'd gladly take the title. It's a tough crowd here if 1.8 billion (US) is unacceptable. Other than a poorly made documentary, I know nothing of the Vicini family. Do they have ties to the Genco Pura Olive Oil Company?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are no 4. I was just categorizing the groups that we've discussed so far that we think control the country.  But speaking of the US gov, since the former US ambassador to the DR, Wally Brewster, is gay, something tells me that in Santo Domingo there is a network of very affluent, very well-travelled gay men, some Dominican descent but mostly foreign, that live in the capital and have their own little secret gay network so to speak. I'll start a thread on that later on. 

Matilda's list is pretty accurate with the Vicini family at the top. Some posters here are misconstruing the type control they exert. Let's just say what they want to happen here - happens. What they don't want to happen - doesn't.

They aren't involved in daily control or foreign policy in general - just anything and everything that protects or expands their wealth and and interests - which considering all the things these people are involved in, is quite a lot. The DR is an oligarchy.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Presidente beers, Ron Brugal and bachata music... they took control of the island long time ago.

JJ

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I'm staying with the Rothchilds....

Slim shady.....

They control everything.....

You just don't know it...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Earlier on in this thread I made a reference to one Félix Bautista, and he was dismissed as being the equivalent of a peasant with a bank account, although, he owns his fair share of diversified businesses here within the RD, and other countries within our world. As of 2010, when he first attained his senate seat, he had a worth of 1.8 billion (US). Where can I line up to be called a "peasant with a bank account"? I'd gladly take the title. It's a tough crowd here if 1.8 billion (US) is unacceptable. Other than a poorly made documentary, I know nothing of the Vicini family. Do they have ties to the Genco Pura Olive Oil Company?

he has a lot of money, and that is about it. Floyd Mayweather made more money in one fight than most people in America will ever see, but he controls nothing outside of his area. in third world countries, new money is nothing. you do not get to be somebody because you won the powerball lottery, or got a successful shipment of drugs to market. you just have more money than you did yesterday, but not more clout.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Matilda's list is pretty accurate with the Vicini family at the top. Some posters here are misconstruing the type control they exert. Let's just say what they want to happen here - happens. What they don't want to happen - doesn't.

They aren't involved in daily control or foreign policy in general - just anything and everything that protects or expands their wealth and and interests - which considering all the things these people are involved in, is quite a lot. The DR is an oligarchy.

thank you. that expresses it very accurately. they are not involved in the everyday operation of things, on the surface. but what they say goes. i repeat...if those guys do not want Leonel to run again, he cant. he understands the juxtaposition between the military and the police and the old money. he knows he cant buck them..

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
So the Vincini family own some 70 properties in Zona Colonial where I have my home . There are more than 3000 properties in Zona Colonial which just goes to prove my point ..they have a portfolio of properties and nothing more ..far cry from owning most of the land between La Romana and Bani !!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Now let us look at the next statement ..the Vincinis own much of the land in Guayacanes ,,Guayacanes is a very small seaside village and the land at Metro Club and all the apartment blocks that have been developed by the Metro Group together with all the land owned by the Barcelo company are more than 10 times greater in size and numbers than Guayacanes . Then there is Guavaberry with the golf course and the many private apartment buildings and villas there . Sold by a consortium that included the Hilton Group. in pure size and in terms of dwellings many many times bigger than all of Guayaanes.
So we can move on to the wealthiest district in DR , the area that is broadly bound by Trivadentes and Churchill and 27 de Febrero and Kennedy and again we see all the many malls , motor dealerships and huge apartment blocks...owned by the Vincini family .Definitely not ...owned by Venezuelans ,Spaniards , Puerto Ricans and thousands of wealthy Dominicans .
If you wish I can go on , but I think this is enough ....Now we have an absurd notion that our foreign policy is controlled by the Vincinis ...we have reached a stage where quite obvious ludicrous statements are made and others are are asked to prove the statement wrong or keep quiet ..that in itself is absurd .

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Vicini is a Dominican business family. According to Forbes Magazine, the Vicini as a whole are the wealthiest family in the Dominican Republic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicini
Google translation:
Juan Bautista Vicini Lluberes is the visible figure that leads Casa Vicini, the most ancient and powerful emporium that configures the Dominican business world with 163 years of foundation the only one listed on the Wall Street Stock Exchange, and his statements offered to Cuban journalist Alicia Ortega and discharged in Hoy and Listín Diario of the four day of this month, for their relevance, deserve to be mentioned.
Although we know that the real rector of Casa Vicini is Juan Bautista Vicini Cabral (Gianni), noticed his age, 90 years, has decided to gradually pass the torch relay to his son Juan Bautista Vicini Lluberes (38 years).
The great-grandfather of Vicini Lluberes, Juan Bautista Vicini Canepa, entered the country, from Zoagli, Italy, in 1860, without a cent in his pockets, counting 14 years of age, starting to work as a swimsuit for horses and dogs and field trades on the estate of his relative Luis Cambiaso, as reported by the journalist Santiaguense Esteban Rosario in his work The Vicini Group, The True Power, Editoria Oúho, October 2011, without waste (page 13), Vicini Canepa struck crumbs with President Ulises Heureaux , the terrible Lilis, and in addition to Santiago Michelena and Cosme Batlle Filbá, were the three characters who coined the birth of the Dominican oligarchy, nourished by the nurse of the complacent state dispensed by Lilís, and that Vicini has survived this strategy until today.
The three gave loans to Lilis, who was always in need of resources to cover his growing needs to pay for a diffuse, profuse, diffuse, dangerous training that allowed him to extend his rapacious and bloody tyranny for twelve fateful years (1887-1899) until he was riddled in a pool of blood by five tyrannicidal shots of Ramon Cáceres in the store of his troupe Jacobo de Lara in Mocael July 26, 1899.
Michelena and Batlle Filbá succumbed to the passing of time, remaining Casa Vicini, impertérrito, defying the passage of the years and difficulties in the fall of the prices of the sweet occasioned in the two world wars (1916-24 and 1939-45) in which sweet prices declined and then experienced competition from European beet sugar, coupling strategies according to the rules and imponderables of the self-sustaining economy.
In an inaccurate date of 1960, the generalísimo Rafael Leonidas Trujillo proposed to Juan Bautista Vicini Cabral, Gianni, to put price to his ingenios, and Gianni, a discreet personage, who is handled with a low profile pretending to pass unnoticed, without succeeding, he answered to the Chief who would gladly sell his wits, but who had to go to New York to procure the securities he had deposited in a bank.
He left, did not return until after the despot's execution, and led to the final conspiracy with the CIA's heads of state in Washington DC, who ended the tyrant, not his system, until the advent of President Antonio Guzman (1978- 1982).
In the course of the aforementioned statements of Vicini Lluberes, the latter stated, among other expressions, whether he would have political pretensions, he replied: "I do not escape him to any responsibility", leaving open the possibility of assuming that responsibility, as his uncle- grandfather Juan Bautista Vicini Burgos, President of the Republic (1922-1924), who made the transition for the US Marines to leave the country they occupied since 1916.
Casa Vicini has always received the support of all the governments except Trujillo (Esteban Rosario, op. Cit., Page 15), who confiscated without compensation the sugarcane fields where the ensembles Ozama, Espaillat, Luperón and Gualey, (Esteban Rosario, op. Cit.
page l05), and Gianni Vicini had kept the reply to the Chief for his time, which was manifested as I consigned. Esteban Rosario describes op. cit. pages 117-120, such as Law 23 of May 10, 1963, which fixed export prices for sugar and Law 5664 of May 22, 1963, which obliged exporters to deliver the currencies to the Central Bank to exchange them for pesos that were on par with the dollar, determined the overthrow of President Juan Bosch, laws that Donald Reid Cabral, cousin of Gianni Vicini Cabral, presiding over the spurious Triumvirate, annulled.
Casa Vicini is not only a producer and exporter of sugar, but also diversified its operations in steel (Metaldom) tourism (Hotel Don Juan in Boca Chica and Las Carabelas in El Morro de Montecristi), purified water (Blue Planet), ice cream (Bon (Ege Haina, Quisqueya II, Los Cocos (wind turbine in Pedernales), AES Los Minas (natural gas), Itabo I and II (coal) and Punta Catalina in Barahona, with an investment of US $ 300 million or RD $ 13 billion at 43xl, Listín Diario (largest shareholder), Radio Listín and Radio Cristal.
Vicini Lluberes expressed in those declarations his friendship with the president Danilo Medina before this one being governor
. No consortium in the country has a diversification of investments as extensive and massive as Vicini, or even foreign, that the then president Leonel Fernandez extended granting him the franchise to exploit the port of Sans Souci on the western bank of Santo Domingo to dock cruises , and whether so much economic power would always be innocuous to guarantee the financial control of the Dominican State and its sovereign constitutional powers.
https://paraquenoserepitalahistoria.blogspot.nl/2014/03/los-viccini-y-su-historia.html

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I wonder if there is a chance that old money just has to buy major influence with the political parties. If your party wins, you get a lot of control. If it loses, better luck next time.

Just like in the US, if you want to tip the scales against Bernie, he has almost no chance to win within the party system.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I wonder if there is a chance that old money just has to buy major influence with the political parties. If your party wins, you get a lot of control. If it loses, better luck next time.

Just like in the US, if you want to tip the scales against Bernie, he has almost no chance to win within the party system.

people who grew up in the caribbean understand the control thing, and the influence families have upon all outcomes.

let me give you a simple example. i come from a family in my country with a minor name. nothing big, but known. there are families that i knew of, but never met. you never saw them in public, and you did not even know where they lived.

about 5 years ago, i needed a new copy of my birth certificate. people in Jamaica take months to get one, even if they go in person. i made a call , from the DR, to the office down there, and requested one. that was on a Monday. by Thursday, it was in my hand, hand delivered by FedEx. no charge. if i had been from a real serious family, the clerk would have brought it to me herself.

in the caribbean, i repeat, old money and families run things.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Just another factual point ..if you call the Cisneros family Dominicans because Gustavo Cisneros is a Dominican citizen and lives here full time as does his wife Patricia , then their Group controlling huge interests throughout South America, USA and Spain makes the Vincini Group rather small . Then we have the Fanjul interests in the sugar and cattle industries here ,by far the biggest players . But facts are not important .. I give up gracefully and people can think what they wish .

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I agree with you Kipling. They keep on saying the same thing without even smallest proof or example. Now you have to been born in the carribean, as if all the islands are the same. It is the government that rules the country, nobody else. J. B Vicini even had political ambitions...where is he?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Just another factual point ..if you call the Cisneros family Dominicans because Gustavo Cisneros is a Dominican citizen and lives here full time as does his wife Patricia , then their Group controlling huge interests throughout South America, USA and Spain makes the Vincini Group rather small . Then we have the Fanjul interests in the sugar and cattle industries here ,by far the biggest players . But facts are not important .. I give up gracefully and people can think what they wish .

Ok. Let's see your facts that the Fanjuls are the biggest players here - unless you are talking about foreign players(?). The Fanjuls are Cuban Americans. It could be Bill Gates or Warren Buffet here - they would never be able to wield anywhere near the influence and control that these famililes have.