Who is Robin Bernstein, the appointed US ambassador to DRt

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
His appointment to the Dominican Republic under the Obama administration was a disgrace and an insult to the people here.

He did NOTHING positive whilst here.

I have a number of friends in the gay community there who would disagree with you. They really appreciated the implicit support of the United States and Mr Brewster and his husband in speaking out for gay rights. I know it was a difficult time for the Dominican Republic - in that the issue of homosexuality is a touchy one - but the DR is in fact a destination for sex tourism - straight and gay... and many of the most vulnerable are made more vulnerable by the fact that the subject of gay sex is simply not discussed. Those who have been there for a while will remember that there was not only a pedophile priest but a pedophile papal nuncio... The Nuncio was well known as a pedophile for a long time within the gay community. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Speaking on gay rights is fine, but virtually telling the DR how to run it's government we can do without. If an ambassador from another country went to the US and acted like this guy he would be gone in a week.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I'm sure there's a select group of sankies that are already polishing their trade to see if they can make her stay in the country for the entirety of her appointmentship. It could create marital problems, but...

:D:D I have seen guys who don't have two nickels to rub together runaway with wives of millionaires. lol

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Speaking on gay rights is fine, but virtually telling the DR how to run it's government we can do without. If an ambassador from another country went to the US and acted like this guy he would be gone in a week.

not sure if Wally Brewster was the first US Ambassador to do that... think there have been a long line of them.. dating perhaps back to the time of Juan Bosch

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

SKY, i agree with your sentiments, exactly, but American ambassadors have been meddling in the affairs of other countries from time immemorial. i remember the Prime Minister of Jamaica expelling a US ambassador by the name of DeRoulet, for meddling in the government's affairs.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
The only time the US cared anything about the DR was when Trujillo was in charge. Google his White House trips and see for yourself.

LBJ and his 42,000 marines beg to differ. Which, incidentally, almost approached the number that Napoleon himself sent to the Haitian part of the island. In my estimation, when empires send massive expeditions like that to far off colonial corners it shows the OPPOSITE of not caring...

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
LBJ and his 42,000 marines beg to differ. Which, incidentally, almost approached the number that Napoleon himself sent to the Haitian part of the island. In my estimation, when empires send massive expeditions like that to far off colonial corners it shows the OPPOSITE of not caring...

If you knew anything about what happened, you would know that the Marines came in to save the Truillo regime. Not for democracy or any other reason. Many good Dominicans died defending their homeland. I knew some of them.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you knew anything about what happened, you would know that the Marines came in to save the Truillo regime. Not for democracy or any other reason. Many good Dominicans died defending their homeland. I knew some of them.
Wasn't Trujillo already dead?

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
If you knew anything about what happened, you would know that the Marines came in to save the Truillo regime. Not for democracy or any other reason. Many good Dominicans died dfending their homeland. I knew some of them.

If you knew me better, you'd know that you are preaching to the choir here (just ask gorgon). I just take issue with your saying that after Trujillo the US didn't show interest on this country (or island at large) when its actions have spoken LOUDER about the region's importance to them (specially as far as preventing the Cuban example from spreading to the four corners).

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Wasn't Trujillo already dead?

Yes, but the US wanted the regime continued under his subordinates. The US was in cahoots with Trujillo, that is a fact that is undisputed.

You live here, ask some old people whether the US invaded to help them or hurt them. Then report back.............

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
SKY, i agree with your sentiments, exactly, but American ambassadors have been meddling in the affairs of other countries from time immemorial. i remember the Prime Minister of Jamaica expelling a US ambassador by the name of DeRoulet, for meddling in the government's affairs.

The fact that many before did it (and I agree with you) didn't make it right.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I have a number of friends in the gay community there who would disagree with you. They really appreciated the implicit support of the United States and Mr Brewster and his husband in speaking out for gay rights. I know it was a difficult time for the Dominican Republic - in that the issue of homosexuality is a touchy one - but the DR is in fact a destination for sex tourism - straight and gay... and many of the most vulnerable are made more vulnerable by the fact that the subject of gay sex is simply not discussed. Those who have been there for a while will remember that there was not only a pedophile priest but a pedophile papal nuncio... The Nuncio was well known as a pedophile for a long time within the gay community. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

I don't see where a minority of the indigenous population agreeing with an interfering diplomat makes it right. I am not sure how your reference to that POS papal nuncio ties into the the issue.
I think the fact is that diplomats are sent to countries to try and influence the country/peoples to favor that countries interests and without a doubt Wally was doing Obamas bidding in this respect but it was not respectful to the majority of the populace.
Having said that the U.S., and other nations historically have exerted their influence, often times against not only the majority of other sovereign nations but also contrary to the desires, preferences of the stronger, influential nations sending their envoys.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't see where a minority of the indigenous population agreeing with an interfering diplomat makes it right. I am not sure how your reference to that POS papal nuncio ties into the the issue.
I think the fact is that diplomats are sent to countries to try and influence the country/peoples to favor that countries interests and without a doubt Wally was doing Obamas bidding in this respect but it was not respectful to the majority of the populace.
Having said that the U.S., and other nations historically have exerted their influence, often times against not only the majority of other sovereign nations but also contrary to the desires, preferences of the stronger, influential nations sending their envoys.

i am not so sure that diplomats are sent to countries to influence the people to favor the country's interests. diplomats come in different stripes, as i know you well are aware. there are basically two types...those who are career foreign service types, and those who get the posts as political payoffs, in what is called checkbook diplomacy. most of those people who go to places like the caribbean and Central America, and other third world posts are bored rich people, who have ponied up huge amounts to presidential campaigns, and have been rewarded with the gig. true it is that their political inclinations are manifested in their actions, but not all want to influence the direction of the country.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

I sat through 4 US Ambassadors during my time in Sto Dom and never heard a good report on any of them. 2 were GOP and 2 were Dems. The GOP guys - one from AZ and one from PR - were very TRADE oriented - per the GOP and focused a lot on what companies were importing US goods. The first US Ambassador under Obama was the former head of LA Raza - a Latino group - but he was "too old" -- and thus - I guess - did not do much of the party giving that the Dominicans like so very much.

I am a bit startled that you do not see the tie in between Wally Brewster and the Papal Nuncio - who was a very well known pedophile within the gay community. Think harder.

I think that it was just before Mr. Brewster's appointment that Father Gil was busted up in the provinces.

The fact was that the Catholic Church - so very entwined with the government of the Dominican Republic - had allowed this sort of abuse of young boys to continue quite openly within its borders - and that went right up to the very top of the Catholic Church in the Dominican Republic.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The fact was that the Catholic Church - so very entwined with the government of the Dominican Republic - had allowed this sort of abuse of young boys to continue quite openly within its borders - and that went right up to the very top of the Catholic Church in the Dominican Republic.

Annie, this has nothing to do with the OP.  If you want to discuss it, post in one of the old threads please.  

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
The US. the five eyes - Interpol, the DEA - all have an extremely large presence in the DR. According to a briefing that I went to - prob in 2012?- with the head of the drug agency there - about 15% of all the cocaine which is transhipped to the USA and Europe pass through the DR side of the island. (It used to be 95% on the other side- before the fall of Aristide back in 2005). You can see by the relative size of the US Embassy that the issue is certainly not confined to trade.

The DR has the both the largest complement of US Peace Corps workers and is the oldest post for them, being 50 years old.
Every new Peace Corps worker that comes in does a completely new survey of their own post and designs his/her own program. These Peace Corps workers are sorta the "precious jewels" of the USA - being a program which was founded under JFK . They are very well cared for and very well observed.

USAID pours a lot of money into their Dominican Republic program - funding local programs and projects. It used to be housed right next to the Ambassador's home in Gazcue but has been moved to the new Embassy out in Arroyo Hondo.

The Dominican Republic - being not only a member of DR-CAFTA - but also the one that almost stopped the entire trade deal - has enjoyed preferential immigration status into the USA for many years. The "chain migration" of which Mr. Trump has spoken and now opposes, has benefited the DR more than any other country.

The Fanjul family - Dominican Sugar - are also US SUGAR - Dominos - Florida Select.

and - then - of course - there is Baseball

and without the Dominican Republic

really?
http://www.ipsnews.net/2009/12/dominican-republic-field-of-dreams/

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
The US. the five eyes - Interpol, the DEA - all have an extremely large presence in the DR. According to a briefing that I went to - prob in 2012?- with the head of the drug agency there - about 15% of all the cocaine which is transhipped to the USA and Europe pass through the DR side of the island. (It used to be 95% on the other side- before the fall of Aristide back in 2005). You can see by the relative size of the US Embassy that the issue is certainly not confined to trade.

The DR has the both the largest complement of US Peace Corps workers and is the oldest post for them, being 50 years old.
Every new Peace Corps worker that comes in does a completely new survey of their own post and designs his/her own program. These Peace Corps workers are sorta the "precious jewels" of the USA - being a program which was founded under JFK . They are very well cared for and very well observed.

USAID pours a lot of money into their Dominican Republic program - funding local programs and projects. It used to be housed right next to the Ambassador's home in Gazcue but has been moved to the new Embassy out in Arroyo Hondo.

The Dominican Republic - being not only a member of DR-CAFTA - but also the one that almost stopped the entire trade deal - has enjoyed preferential immigration status into the USA for many years. The "chain migration" of which Mr. Trump has spoken and now opposes, has benefited the DR more than any other country.

The Fanjul family - Dominican Sugar - are also US SUGAR - Dominos - Florida Select.

and - then - of course - there is Baseball

and without the Dominican Republic

really?
http://www.ipsnews.net/2009/12/dominican-republic-field-of-dreams/

You were saying something about the US not caring/giving a damn about this country, SKY?

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015

OMG....for god's sake!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Fanjul - Sugar

And Redpath in Canada is a recent purchase...2007
One of the oldest companies in Canada, founded in 1854