Who was the best president in D.R. history

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In Trujillo's case the bad grossly outweighs the good.

You're absolutely right - but I have heard several Dominicans say that the country needs another Trujillo to get DR back on track. Some actually reminisce about the days when the streets were safe because his goons would shoot troublemakers and ask questions later [maybe]. :eek:

AE

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here's the big difference between Bosch and other Presidents.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xerhpvJuzTw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xerhpvJuzTw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
For all his morality and ethics, its amazing how he forgives differences when its time to put Jos? Francisco Pe?a G?mez in 'his place.' Listen well to Dr. Joaqu?n Balaguer and what he says of Juan Bosch, who was sitting right next to Dr. Leonel Fern?ndez, who himself was sitting next to Dr. Joaqu?n Balaguer (click on the link below):

Frente Patri?tico

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
For all his morality and ethics, its amazing how he forgives differences when its time to put Jos? Francisco Pe?a G?mez in 'his place.' Listen well to Dr. Joaqu?n Balaguer and what he says of Juan Bosch, who was sitting right next to Dr. Leonel Fern?ndez, who himself was sitting next to Dr. Joaqu?n Balaguer (click on the link below):

Frente Patri?tico

That should tell you how honest he was, when Nals has been researching for more than two days and the only thing he could find was a bleep where Leonel and his cadres took him to this meeting (BTW he already had alzheimers at this point) once Balaguer had given Leonel his support.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That should tell you how honest he was, when Nals has been researching for more than two days and the only thing he could find was a bleep where Leonel and his cadres took him to this meeting (BTW he already had alzheimers at this point) once Balaguer had given Leonel his support.
Researching for two days. I do wonder if suarezn is an aid of God or something to 'know' things he can't possibly ever see. :laugh:

Nardo, baja de esa nube.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Has Leonel always been a member of the political elite? Was he born into a well connected, politically powerful, family?

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
I know I might be drawn and quartered for this, but given the current state of affairs the best in my humble opinion was Trujillo. He did oversee the greatest period of growth, order, and prosperity of the DR in addition to the lowest level of corruption. (granted the corruption was his and of his family members, but better a small band of thieves than thousands of them, not to mention the los narcos)

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
I know I might be drawn and quartered for this, but given the current state of affairs the best in my humble opinion was Trujillo. He did oversee the greatest period of growth, order, and prosperity of the DR in addition to the lowest level of corruption. (granted the corruption was his and of his family members, but better a small band of thieves than thousands of them, not to mention the los narcos)

I do not like Trujillo, but now putting into perspective all the presidents after Trujillo. Can we say that Trujillo did for Dominican Republic more than all these presidents combine for the country prosperity?

If we do a summary of the jobs from all these presidents and compare it to Trujillo job, will Trujillo come ahead?

Now on the crime and killing of the Dominican state, have all these presidents caused more catastrophes to the Dominican Republic than Trujillo.

What do you think?

arg1118

Mar 11, 2010
Re: crime and killing

I don't know if the other presidents have done it directly, but I do know they have allowed it to happen.... I mean if Trujillo where in charge today, I assume there would be no drug traficking, no kidnappings, or other major crimes etc. I mean you could walk at 4 am in the streets, (assuming no curfew). The truth is there are freedoms to and freedoms from.

If you want freedom from government corruption, polluted streets, petty crimes, and just the reckless lawlesness that seems to have a hold of the DR, it might take the loss of the freedom to free speech against "el Jefe", and loss of a few other civil liberties. Nothing is perfect, I just hate that today things are such a disaster and will likely continue to get worse until some radical change comes.

Reactions: AlterEgo

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Researching for two days. I do wonder if suarezn is an aid of God or something to 'know' things he can't possibly ever see. :laugh:

Nardo, baja de esa nube.

NALS: You've been posting long enough here that we all know your MO...I'm sure as soon as I posted that link you started to do research to try to find something to disprove the fact that Bosch was that honest...

Arg: I think is a myth that you could walk around at 4:00 AM and feel safe. Yes you could probably feel safe from being robbed by some petty thief, but you'd be dead afraid to be stopped, robbed and beaten up by the "police", "calies", etc...I've talked with my grandpa extensively about this and he has told me how things really were back then for those who were not part of the establishment. If Trujillo was the president nowadays we'd be the pretty much the same narco-state we are today with him and his family controlling the flow.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Show me a country not at war - dictatorship or democracy - that isn't perceived by people in the present day as having been a safer place in the 1950s.

Reactions: ExtremeR

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NALS: You've been posting long enough here that we all know your MO...I'm sure as soon as I posted that link you started to do research to try to find something to disprove the fact that Bosch was that honest...
Right, it couldn't had been that I was simply watching videos regarding other Dominican related topics and Balaguer appeared on the right-side column where related videos pop up, it reminded me of this thread, decided to come back to DR1 to post it here and saw your post, quoted it and voila, posted it.

Of course not.

Everyone beware, almighty suarezn is everywhere at all times. He knows what he doesn't know. :eek:gre:

Chirimoya said:
Show me a country not at war - dictatorship or democracy - that isn't perceived by people in the present day as having been a safer place in the 1950s.
Good point Chiri.

I'm sure Haitians and the British have the same nostalgia regarding the safety situation in their respective country in the 50s vs today, but let's just say that the former's nostalgia is a little bit more understandable than that of the latter, eh?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2003
Good point Chiri.

I'm sure Haitians and the British have the same nostalgia regarding the safety situation in their respective country in the 50s vs today, but let's just say that the former's nostalgia is a little bit more understandable than that of the latter, eh?

Chiri made a good point about the 1950's, however, while many Londoners might be nostalgic about Edwardian England, how many Dominicans would be nostalgic about the same time period? While London in 1910 was stable and peaceful, the Dominican Republic was wracked by warring Caudillos. Life for the average Dominican was a varitable Hell on Earth. If one had managed to survive that terrible period of Dominican history, they might view Trujillo as the man who brought peace, safety, and stabilty to the neglected masses.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I think that was actually Leonel during his first period. I seem to remember complaints by PRD people about being wiretapped...I would be surprised though if Balaguer wasn't doing it before that, but I don't think it ever became public...

Wouldn't want to hijack the thread, but couldn't help but couldn't help but notice this news bit about cows being milked in the middle of the night and...and...and raped by Haitians and Dominicans.

http://dominicanoshoy.com/index.php?id=58&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=27825&cHash=93b2843bcd

Sorry couldn't help it...

Last edited:

be4unvme

Jan 22, 2010
why would Dominicans be wiretaped. why would leonel do this what is he fearing. omg the more I learn from my country the more I'm disgusted. yesterday I even removed the flag off my car

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
why would Dominicans be wiretaped. why would leonel do this what is he fearing. omg the more I learn from my country the more I'm disgusted. yesterday I even removed the flag off my car

Hey, wiretapping here is equal opportunity. Different factions within the PLD do it to each other (& very likely within the PRD different factions do exactly the same thing). You don't need to be disgusted, be4unveme, you just need to be streetsmart.

Yes suarezn, I saw the bovine molestation story and couldn't help thinking it must have been a somewhat unsatisfying experience but chacun ? son moo :cheeky: