Why are Dominican Americans mostly ignored in U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Hillbilly said:
There are several outstanding Dominicans in other fields than baseball. They just don't go around hooting "I'm a Dominican, see? I can dance merengue and drink Presidente!!" all the time.

Jos? Fern?ndez is one actor that comes to mind: He was the bad guy in one of the Crocadile Dundee movies..

Oscar de la Renta, of course. Nobody knows Rafael Padilla: I think that is the name,...he's one of the chief training pilots at American, and has given the check rides to the Air Force One pilots...

At the Cleveland Clinic there are several outstanding heart surgeons. One of the outstanding doctors in Phoenix is Dominican...

And Jos? Luis Guerra can fill a stadium almost anywhere in the world...

HB :D:D:D

Yeah, I almost forgot Julia Alvarez, the author...best seller in English and Spanish..

Can you tell me which Doctor in Phoenix is Dominican? I live in Phoenix, and my new Dominicana wife, Naeroby will be joining me there soon.

Thanks,

-Tim

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Hillbilly said:
And Jos? Luis Guerra can fill a stadium almost anywhere in the world...

i believe you meant Juan Luis :)

some recent movies with dominicans are Resident Evil (Michelle Rodr?guez), The Terminal (Zoe Salda?a) and Crossroads (the one starring Britney Spears, with Zoe Salda?a).

DarkDreamer

Apr 5, 2004
mariel said:
i believe you meant Juan Luis :)

some recent movies with dominicans are Resident Evil (Michelle Rodr?guez), The Terminal (Zoe Salda?a) and Crossroads (the one starring Britney Spears, with Zoe Salda?a).

Oh please Michele Rodrigues is a Nuyorican-Dominican who barely speaks spanish. She is more american than anything...

kami

Dec 6, 2004
Keith R said:
Never see Dominicans in movies??? Rarely, maybe, but I can't say never. Just saw a pretty good independent film a couple of weeks ago that won critical review here in U.S. last year, "Washington Heights." Was by Dominicans, with Dominicans, about Dominicans.

And what about Maria Montez, all those decades ago?

Michelle Rodriguez (Fast and Furiuos) is half Dominican too... what i have noticed is that they do not go around dispalying their bandera everywhere... yea they have pride in themselves i just think that all of the Dominicans who are famous are more focused on their careers rather than trying to flash around that they are Domincans... get that $$$

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Too many Dominicans

I don't believe the people you guys have mentioned are ashamed of being Dominican, it's just that they don't say everywhere they go. The director & producer of "Soul Plane" Jessy Terrero stated he was Dominican boy I wish he wouldn't have said that, that movie well stunk :ermm: . I have a list of real Dominicans & Dominican-Americans, most of the actors mentioned above are Americanized and probably knows less than Damian [No offense], in my book that aren't really Dominican but thats another story.
Some well-known "Dominicans" in entertainment & public life.

Writers:
Frank Moya Pons
Julia Alvarez
Junot Diaz: A great book called Drown, I believe every Dominican teenager living abroad (especially in NYC) should read it, great book.

Rappers: I dont like em but they are a form of Dominicans in USA
*Fabulous
*AZ
Juju from the Beatnuts
*= I do not consider them Dominicans but ignorant Dominicans in my age group do, I DONT.
Musicians:
Aventura= Modern Bachata Phenomenal group
Johnny Pacheco= Legendary Salsa Maestro
Michel Camilo= Great Dominican Paino/ Jazz Composer
Johnny Ventura= Legendary Merenguro
Jose Antonio Molina= Dominican composer
Magic Juan= Rapper, known for Proyecto Uno
Javier Colon= New R&b artist, he's "half" Dominican, I don't know how much he knows about Dominican culture

Politicians:
Guillermo Linares
Adriano Espaillat
Fernando Mateo= A Bush Ranger (Raise over $200,000 Bush campaign), President of the New York State Federation of Taxi Drivers

Athletes: (Other than Baseball players)
Felipe Lopez= 1st Dominican drafted into NBA
Charlie Villanueva= Plays for UConn [NCAA Basketball Champs]
Mary Jo Fernandez= Good Tennis player, doesn't consider herself Dominican
Felix Sanchez = 1st Gold metalist, Im 50/50, he is learning the culture but I have an asterisk
Juan Marichal= 1st & only Dominican Baseball Hall of famer

Fashion:
Oscar de la Renta
Sully Bonnelly
Omahyra Mota= The new "it" girl known for her androgynous figure
Alejandra Cata= Ford Super Model Winner
Joelisa "Joey" Sosa= Ford Super Model RD

Artists:
Theodore Chasseriau, Dominican born but is French
Candido Bido
Biomar Brito

Actors:
Maria Montez
*Alfonso Ribeiro= Fresh Price of Bel-Air
Manny Perez= 100 Centre Street
Andres Garcia= Famous novela star, born in DR of Mexican parents (I believe)
Judy Reyes= Scrubs
*Michelle Rodriguez
*Miguel A. Nunez
*Zoe Salda?a
*= Don't really know how Dominican they are.

Others:
Julio Sabala= Well known comedian
Amelia Vega= First Dominican Miss Universe
Charityn= TV Hostess
Michelle Jimenez= A wonderful Ballet dancer, well-known
Nelson "El Enano"= A well known midget, starred next to Marlon Brando in The Island of Dr. Moreau.
Porfirio Rubirosa= Dominican James Bond
Eduardo Brito= Baritone Singer

There are many Dominicans in alot of places not just entertainment, there in high corporate levels, Wall Street, Politics, Presticious Ivy League Schools, Doctors, the list goes on.

Good Day,
Capo :bandit: :rambo:

Last edited:

ClippedWing

Jan 12, 2002
None of these Dominicans are famous or have household/recognizable names in the US save for a few of the entertainers and half of them I'd argue couldn't find the DR on a map.

But in the whole grand scheme of things, Just because these people arent' famous in the US doesn't make their exisitence any less significant. I dont' know why people always want validation from the US before they're deemed a "big hit"

It's not that Dominicans are ignored in the US because they are dominican it's just that collectively as a group Domincans just haven't made a big impact on pop culture/entertaiment/etc. Sports world? Yes. But MTV? People?, etc..No.

Smooches...clip.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
The bottom line is they have not made enough of an effort to assimilate into American society. Reasons for this? Well, I guess the language barrier and the fact that the majority of Dominican American families have not been in the US more than a couple of decades. Of course, come second generation, the language barrier is no longer an issue. At this point, it seems to me that the majority of Dominican Americans are happy just existing here in the US in their tightly knit groups and real American assimilation and individual progression is not something they are overly concerned with. They still identify themselves as "Dominican" and not as "Americans". Give it another generation or so and you should begin to see a softening of these ideals as future generations of Dom-Americans become more Americanized. Dominican Americans are not facing any "glass cieling" or any more overt racism than any other group has faced. They have knitted themselves together and are slow to adapt to American customs/ideals by choice.

Larry

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
DarkDreamer said:
Oh please Michele Rodrigues is a Nuyorican-Dominican who barely speaks spanish. She is more american than anything...

Kinda funny that you say that because when 'Blue Crush' came out, she was on Telemundo talking up a storm explaining that when she was young, her mom would take several times each summer to Boca Chica and it was one of her favorite childhood memories - all in Spanish. She's very articulate in Spanish and it didn't seem like it was that hard for her to speak it. She doesn't speak that 'Dominican' spanish, from what I could tell.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Who has died and left a will designating anyone to pass judgement on who qualifies "enough" to "pass" as being Dominican?

Sorry I think that this is an evolving phenomenon that we have to learn how to deal with. For example, Capo, given your own Republican tendencies, how can you even put an asteriks beside anyone's name? That is right up there with the contradiction of what was done to Estrada when nominated by Bush to be a Supreme Court Judge in the fed circuit. All the Latino NGOs and gov't officials came out in drones talking about...."we need to check if he QUALIFIES as being Latino..." rather than check the man on his issues and where he stands.

It's just plain wrong. If it is wrong to double-standard Estrada (or any other Latino) then it's wrong to do it to ourselves. This same mess happened to an appointed Dominican here where I now live. The person ended up having to quit.

What of a person of Dominican descent that was born in Scooter, WY? Is the fact that he grew up in Wyoming make him less dominican? By whose standards? With what right do we have to judge their experience as invalid and un-dominican? A child cannot help the environment they were born into!

This issue offends me because as a person that has made a consious decision to move out of NYC, I just see this mentality as a political power play/ maneuver and a quantification on "degree of Dominicaness" that is just going to lead us down a path of destruction as a people.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Qualifies as a dominican?

deelt said:
Who has died and left a will designating anyone to pass judgement on who qualifies "enough" to "pass" as being Dominican?

Sorry I think that this is an evolving phenomenon that we have to learn how to deal with. For example, Capo, given your own Republican tendencies, how can you even put an asteriks beside anyone's name? That is right up there with the contradiction of what was done to Estrada when nominated by Bush to be a Supreme Court Judge in the fed circuit. All the Latino NGOs and gov't officials came out in drones talking about...."we need to check if he QUALIFIES as being Latino..." rather than check the man on his issues and where he stands.

It's just plain wrong. If it is wrong to double-standard Estrada (or any other Latino) then it's wrong to do it to ourselves. This same mess happened to an appointed Dominican here where I now live. The person ended up having to quit.

What of a person of Dominican descent that was born in Scooter, WY? Is the fact that he grew up in Wyoming make him less dominican? By whose standards? With what right do we have to judge their experience as invalid and un-dominican? A child cannot help the environment they were born into!

This issue offends me because as a person that has made a consious decision to move out of NYC, I just see this mentality as a political power play/ maneuver and a quantification on "degree of Dominicaness" that is just going to lead us down a path of destruction as a people.

Already have the answer to are you dominican enough !! Felix Sanchez!! Depends on who is doing the test I guess. And maybe what its for?

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
I dont want to get off topic but he asked about Dominicans, I just responded as I would, there are real Dominicans & fake Dominicans out there. The people who have an asterisk are the ones that deserve it, AZ & Fabolous have admitted in interviews of being of Dominican descent but not knowing anything about the culture or even the language, how can I put them in the same categorie as Johnny Ventura or Nelson "the midget". There is a level of Dominicaness, it doesnt matter where a person is born but how much knowledge they have on their culture or parents culture. If that Dominican born in Wisconsin, Wyoming or Alaska knows spanish, knows some history about DR & culture I would consider them Dominican but if they dont know jack about DR history & culture & the only spanish they know consists of curse words, then no they are not Dominican.
The simple fact in my age group alot of these so-called Dominican-Yorks claim to be Dominican. When they're not, most Dominican youths in NYC can't tell you who Juan Pablo Duarte is, oh yea it's just a Blvd in the heights or about the trinitarios to them it's just a street gang. I can go on & on but there is such a thing as real & fake, Dominican born & Dominican descent, it's a big difference.

Peace,
Capo
PS Dont knock Republicans, Im not one, I have no political affilations (yet). ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
deelt said:

Believe it or not, I kind of agree.

I guess there is a first to everything, this is one of them from my part.

However, I don't think believing in "Dominicaness" as Deelt puts it, will lead to a path of destruction, it will just re-enforce the Dominican cultural presence in other places.

If people of the slightest connections to the DR must profess at least one attribute that is considered Dominican (ie. speech patterns, living styles, personality styles, etc), then that simply will maintain the Dominican influence abroad (the little that exist) for much longer than otherwise.

However, I do agree on the notion that such thing such as "Dominicaness" should not be used to judge a person's ability to do a job. This is (in my opinion) like the implication of black/white mentality that exist in the US. People constantly bring up the black/white issue before the compatibility of a person's ability to do the job right.

As with everything, its not always done, but its done from time to time when it should not have been done to start with.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
capodominicano said:
I dont want to get off topic but he asked about Dominicans, I just responded as I would, there are real Dominicans & fake Dominicans out there. The people who have an asterisk are the ones that deserve it, AZ & Fabolous have admitted in interviews of being of Dominican descent but not knowing anything about the culture or even the language, how can I put them in the same categorie as Johnny Ventura or Nelson "the midget". There is a level of Dominicaness, it doesnt matter where a person is born but how much knowledge they have on their culture or parents culture. If that Dominican born in Wisconsin, Wyoming or Alaska knows spanish, knows some history about DR & culture I would consider them Dominican but if they dont know jack about DR history & culture & the only spanish they know consists of curse words, then no they are not Dominican.
The simple fact in my age group alot of these so-called Dominican-Yorks claim to be Dominican. When they're not, most Dominican youths in NYC can't tell you who Juan Pablo Duarte is, oh yea it's just a Blvd in the heights or about the trinitarios to them it's just a street gang. I can go on & on but there is such a thing as real & fake, Dominican born & Dominican descent, it's a big difference.

Peace,
Capo
PS Dont knock Republicans, Im not one, I have no political affilations (yet). ;)
Even though I partially agree to what Deelt said, I also agree on what you said.

Being Dominican is not just biological. The adquisition of Dominican knowledge is just as important, if not more important than anything else. What I mean by Dominican knowledge is knowing why we as Dominicans are the way we are, what our history is, why our country is how it is, how can we change for the better, what it means to be Dominicans besides dancing Merengue, etc.

There are some people who are not biologically Dominican, but know more about the DR, its people, etc that they might as well be considered Dominican.

Then comes the question of shame for being Dominican. Someone pointed out here that some of these Dominicans that are in entertainment, television, etc don't point to their roots because of shame due to the DR's situation.

I find that to be due to their ignorance of the DR. How can anyone be ashamed of a country that made it possible (one way or another) for his/her ancestors to live and meet each other and mate up until the time came for his or her own existence to come into reality? How can someone feel shame of a country that explains why you are the way you are? How can someone feel shame when we are constantly reminded of the importance our land had in time past?

How can anyone take shame of a country that is among the most beautiful in the world?

I guess the biggest question is how can anyone take shame of the DR, when there are non-Dominicans (like Julio Iglesias, King Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain, and many genuine foreign expats among others) who love this country as if it was their own?

It's just an inconceivable idea to me. Maybe people are very opinionated when it comes to feeling shame of being Dominican. There are things that could be better with the DR, but this country is not in such shape as to be hated or denied of one's own roots.

The sad thing is that whether they want to or not, the existence of the Dominican Republic is a big reason why they are alive today. If the DR never would have come into existence, the proper conditions that lead to the many meetings and matings that eventually lead to the birth of every single Dominican or partial Dominican person today would never had taken place. That means that if it wasn't for Juan Pablo Duarte's bravery of establishing this country, many of us probably would never had come to enjoy the lives that we have encountered.

The DR deserves to be at the very least aknowledge as part of one's existence, even if you are of Dominican decent and was born in Finland and don't know nothing about the DR or can't speak Spanish. That is my opinion on this.

Texasfool

*** Sock Puppet ***
Nov 9, 2004
What did he say?

Nal0whs said:
Even though I partially agree to what Deelt said, I also agree on what you said.

Being Dominican is not just biological. The adquisition of Dominican knowledge is just as important, if not more important than anything else. What I mean by Dominican knowledge is knowing why we as Dominicans are the way we are, what our history is, why our country is how it is, how can we change for the better, what it means to be Dominicans besides dancing Merengue, etc.

There are some people who are not biologically Dominican, but know more about the DR, its people, etc that they might as well be considered Dominican.

Then comes the question of shame for being Dominican. Someone pointed out here that some of these Dominicans that are in entertainment, television, etc don't point to their roots because of shame due to the DR's situation.

I find that to be due to their ignorance of the DR. How can anyone be ashamed of a country that made it possible (one way or another) for his/her ancestors to live and meet each other and mate up until the time came for his or her own existence to come into reality? How can someone feel shame of a country that explains why you are the way you are? How can someone feel shame when we are constantly reminded of the importance our land had in time past?

How can anyone take shame of a country that is among the most beautiful in the world?

I guess the biggest question is how can anyone take shame of the DR, when there are non-Dominicans (like Julio Iglesias, King Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain, and many genuine foreign expats among others) who love this country as if it was their own?

It's just an inconceivable idea to me. Maybe people are very opinionated when it comes to feeling shame of being Dominican. There are things that could be better with the DR, but this country is not in such shape as to be hated or denied of one's own roots.

The sad thing is that whether they want to or not, the existence of the Dominican Republic is a big reason why they are alive today. If the DR never would have come into existence, the proper conditions that lead to the many meetings and matings that eventually lead to the birth of every single Dominican or partial Dominican person today would never had taken place. That means that if it wasn't for Juan Pablo Duarte's bravery of establishing this country, many of us probably would never had come to enjoy the lives that we have encountered.

The DR deserves to be at the very least aknowledge as part of one's existence, even if you are of Dominican decent and was born in Finland and don't know nothing about the DR or can't speak Spanish. That is my opinion on this.

IS this one of those "IF my Grandfather was killed in the war, I wouldn't be here today" blurbs?

I don't think I have ever seen anyone post so much without saying anything I can understand :-(

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Texasfool said:
IS this one of those "IF my Grandfather was killed in the war, I wouldn't be here today" blurbs?

I don't think I have ever seen anyone post so much without saying anything I can understand :-(
Yes it is.

Read it one paragraph at a time and don't read the following paragraph until you have grasped what I have said.

Sooner or later, you'll get it.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I don't agree. I think that Dominican Americans in the Heights are spoiled. Why? because what they lack in historical knowledge they make up in cultural exposure. They eat the food, hear the music, and speak the language (sort of). They have no real incentive to know more other than the occasional trip to DR when the family can afford it. What of the places where there is NO connection and people lack the opportunity to know more?

Not everyone is a Dominican history buff or a political guru. We as an ethnic have a hard enough challenge to make it out of high school. These are issues that can be address only at the college level. The US educational system is not made up to educate Dominicans on the Dominican Republic. It's not their job to do so either.

I wasn't knocking Reps in my posting. So if you see that, you need to read it again.

Again, you are imposing your own criteria on who you deem Dominican "enough".

Let's just agree to disagree.

capodominicano said:

Peace,
Capo

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Thank you for partially agreeing...

In the US it's not a color issue at all it's just a search for capable role models. That is what Aff Action is about. I say what some Dominicans do is even worse. Depending what circles you walk in if you have a certain complexion you can't enter some DR gov't related events in the US...
This brings a whole new definition to the paper bag test...

Nal0whs said:
This is (in my opinion) like the implication of black/white mentality that exist in the US. People constantly bring up the black/white issue before the compatibility of a person's ability to do the job right.

jskr1us

Apr 29, 2003
Dominicans fall short when it comes to uniting together under the title of "Dominican" most prefer to let their other Latino bretheren cover them under the "Latino Umberla". This is not necessarly a good thing because most Dominicans while in simpathy with their Latino brothers and sisters in some areas have a very different take on the world. The lack of strong organizations in the Dominican communities as a result of the political and social problems in their own country (the Dominican Republic) make very dificult. Add to this the fact that expats in the US know that if they need services from their government and go to the local Counsel's they will need to pay unreasionable fees for the services and in some (most) cases a little extra, and they resent this. When it comes down to it as an outsider with very definite ties to the republic and her people it is my personal opinion that while Dominicans in the US are proud of and love their country they are not always proud of their fellow Dominicans or their government. This makes it difficult for them to join together and become an effective force in their new adoptive home in the US. - Just my opinion. :cross-eye

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
jskr1us said:
Dominicans fall short when it comes to uniting together under the title of "Dominican" most prefer to let their other Latino bretheren cover them under the "Latino Umberla". This is not necessarly a good thing because most Dominicans while in simpathy with their Latino brothers and sisters in some areas have a very different take on the world. The lack of strong organizations in the Dominican communities as a result of the political and social problems in their own country (the Dominican Republic) make very dificult. Add to this the fact that expats in the US know that if they need services from their government and go to the local Counsel's they will need to pay unreasionable fees for the services and in some (most) cases a little extra, and they resent this. When it comes down to it as an outsider with very definite ties to the republic and her people it is my personal opinion that while Dominicans in the US are proud of and love their country they are not always proud of their fellow Dominicans or their government. This makes it difficult for them to join together and become an effective force in their new adoptive home in the US. - Just my opinion. :cross-eye

Ditto. This has always been a pet peeve of mine. Also, why don't we unite here in the US as a people? Oh, I get it. If you admit that you have any trace of Dominican Republic in you, then you won't get any attention or money out of the situation. It just sucks that things have turn out that way because Dominican Americans usually aren't reminded of their civic duties and aren't community oriented either. Some of us, actually, a large group of us are a people without a purpose. The way I see it, if you don't have a purpose in life, then what the hell are you doing? Do something for your people or get the hell outta here.

Texasfool

*** Sock Puppet ***
Nov 9, 2004
Oh, I got it!

Nal0whs said:
Yes it is.

Read it one paragraph at a time and don't read the following paragraph until you have grasped what I have said.

Sooner or later, you'll get it.

In typical fashion, you talk a lot but don't say much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.