Why does anyone live in the DR?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As I said in my second post, (post #21), I might have worded this question a bit better. I found this site helpful because others who post here gave me very good information concerning my upcoming trip to the DR.
That aside, I never meant to stir up this sort of reaction.
I truly want to know what the good aspects of living on the island are. And yes, I was hoping for input from expats in particular.
There is a good chance I may have to spend a great deal of time in the DR, in the not so distant future, so I was looking for some positive reasons that people have felt compelled to make the DR their home.
I'm in no way trying to compare this country with any other.
Can't we keep this to the good things about the Dominican Republic?
By the way, I am a woman.
I think your post was clear and it's a valid question.
Some of the replies were good as well.

The good things about the DR vary from person to person.
If one makes a plus and minus list to evaluate whether living in the DR is for him/her, and the plus column is greater, than he's making a sound decision, and he/she learns to accept the things in the minus column, as they are just part of the price of benefiting from the items in the plus column.
For one person, it may be a health requirement for him/her to live here, so all the bad things don't mean squat, if it means to living healthily or not.
As you have seen from some of the replies above, some guys would put up with almost any inconvenience of living here, just because of the Dom chicas.
Most people say it's the 3 W's.
Water (ocean)
Women (some of the prettiest in the world with better attitudes)
Weather (best climate I have ever seen or heard of)

As you are female, it would only be a 2 W club. ;)

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Me and 3 girlfriends have booked a trip to Punta Cana this December. Im wondering if there's someone out there that can give us some tips/advice before we head down there. Any information on excursions, food or whatever I should know would be greatly appreciated!! Jessica from Toronto

Jessica: I sent you a private message on this topic.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Most people say it's the 3 W's.
Water (ocean)
Women (some of the prettiest in the world with better attitudes)
Weather (best climate I have ever seen or heard of)
That sums it all up ! Even once married, it is still very enjoyable to be surrounded by all those gorgeous ladies !

By the way, I try to go swimming most days of the week, in the most beautiful beaches of Planet Earth (ok, I might be a bit partial...)
:)

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Aimelove,

Discrimination exists everywhere. If you can deal with it in Bensonhurst, you can deal with it in Bonao.

Back to the thread. I visit non-touristy areas on a frequent basis, but that is not like living there, so I'll keep this short. DR is a third world country with issues attendant. Things you probably won't like, coming from Memphis: roads, transportation, erratic utilities, lack of potable running water, lack of services, dominican time in effect for business transactions (i.e., needing all day to pay a bill), spanish being the spoken language (unless you can speak it already).

Things you will like: cost of living (assuming you're not trying to live on the water in a villa), dominican time in all other aspects of life, the sand and sun, forests and valleys, rivers and lakes, towns and cities. But most of all, the people. Dominicans can be some of the most pleasant people in the western hemisphere. And the effect is contagious - expats and tourists also become more pleasant as they spend more time here.

Once the Domicans figure out you're not just another person who comes to take advantage of the exchange rate and look down upon the locals (think A Passage to India), and you make an effort to get to know them and their community, you'll be fine.

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
Discrimination is demeaning (and it happens worldwide..not just in DR).

Now how I know what public figures feel when they're words are misquoted and taken out of context.

Hmmm. Seems to me like I wrote that discrimination happens everywhere. I guess reading what I wrote is not as easy as repeating what I wrote and implying that I wrote otherwise.

Back to the thread. (ie..let's all point out everything good about DR and nothing bad)

Some of my middle school students here in the South Bronx (which, by the way is a long way from Bensonhurst) tell me that they spend so much time chatting online and playing video games because their parents are afraid to let them play outside. -My in laws neighborhood in DR reminds me of my childhood when you could walk in and out of your neighbors house comfortably, playing ball until it gets dark. That is one thing I really like about DR. Nice family atmosphere. Drug dealing and other nonsense is growing, but people still have some respect for family areas.-

The genetic mix, diet and weather leads to some of the hottest women per square mile I've seen. I have seen some beauties from Senegal, Ethiopia, Israel and Eastern Europe, but I never enjoyed going grocery shopping as much as I do in DR. You can't keep from bumping into people in the aisles breaking your neck looking at the women. The beaches are hot on the weekends, but to me, the supermercado is the best place to see women. Alot of women avoid the beach because they don't want to get darker from the sun (its true), but everybody has to eat. I have a beautiful wife, but its never bad to be around beauty.

Relaxed atmosphere. Many large US cities have learned that giving out fines to its citizens is a significant revenue stream. On Labor Day here in NYC, there was no street sweeping (you could park your car where you wanted), but meter maids were still out on a holiday looking for cars with expired inspection and registration stickers to give out fines. I could have bought another car with the amount I paid in parking tickets in the last 10 years. In DR, I can finish off my Presidente while walking around the block in plain sight without fearing a 150 dollar fine. DR needs to increase its revenue base to make improvements, but I'm glad that they haven't decided to turn it into a police state to make money, like Rudy and Bloomberg did in my fair city.

I like DR, the stamps on my passport prove it. I just wanted to give a balanced view. People tend not to want to tell the whole story.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Aimelove,

You said "awful things happen in [New York] all the time."

That's because it's an awful place, full of awful people. New York was never particularly "fair." Take "Gangs of New York," and add a subway. Clean up midtown manhattan for the tourists, and finally indoctrinate everyone with a groupthink about no matter how small and pestilence ridden is your apartment, no matter how outrageously overpriced everything is, no matter how meanspirited the locals are, and no matter how unpleasant life there can be, that you have to be ready, at an instant, to proclaim there really is no place like Noo YAWK.

Actually there is, just read Dante's Inferno.

There, in a nutshell, is your "fair" town. Compared to a place like that, DR really is more like Dante's Paradiso, 3rd world warts and all. OF COURSE you love DR, with its pleasant folks, beautiful women who will actually give a teacher the time of day, better weather, and laid back lifestyle. It is, admittedly far from perfect, but it's a lot closer than South Bronx - or Bensonhurst.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
For a holiday try and see, eat, experience all you can away from an all inclusive. If you?re planning to stay, learn the language as quick as you can ( I?m still learning). Keep away from other ex-pats get yourself a dominican novia/novio, mix with his/her friends and don?t even think of living near ther beach unless you?re a millionaire. I?ve been visiting for 10 years and now live here, love the place, the food and the girl who will soon be my wife.

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
Aimelove,

That's because it's an awful place, full of awful people. New York was never particularly "fair." Take "Gangs of New York," and add a subway. Clean up midtown manhattan for the tourists, and finally indoctrinate everyone with a groupthink about no matter how small and pestilence ridden is your apartment, no matter how outrageously overpriced everything is, no matter how meanspirited the locals are, and no matter how unpleasant life there can be, that you have to be ready, at an instant, to proclaim there really is no place like Noo YAWK.

Actually there is, just read Dante's Inferno.

There, in a nutshell, is your "fair" town. Compared to a place like that, DR really is more like Dante's Paradiso, 3rd world warts and all. OF COURSE you love DR, with its pleasant folks, beautiful women who will actually give a teacher the time of day, better weather, and laid back lifestyle. It is, admittedly far from perfect, but it's a lot closer than South Bronx - or Bensonhurst.
Why has this become some type of competition for you? Why the resentment? Who are you trying to convince? What do you get out of making others believe DR is the end all and be all if you are already there and happy? A city as large and diverse as New York cannot be categorized that easy. You can live in a project, a co op, a split level house, a townhome whatever. Its big. You can make it whatever you want it. The movie references are a dead giveaway that you do not have alot of experience here. Like my cousins who visit and think its gonna be like some movie they saw.

New York is not just one type of place. You can be a highbrow cultural bug and hang out in Manhattan and go to the theatre and museums. You can be a family man, and live in Staten Island with a yard and barbecue grill in the back. You can live like the tv show "Friends" and have 10 of you sharing a 3 bedroom apartment and do nightclubs in the heart of Manhattan. You can live out by JFK near the beach and do your thing out there. You can be a sports nut and do your Yankee, Giant and Knick games. You can eat food at great restaurants representing food from all over the world. You can stay with people from your own culture every day all day, or you can learn about other cultures. Its up to you.

Yes, you can be robbed, and overpriced. Thats life in the big city. Ups and downs. But you can earn alot of money here as well to balance out some of the hits to your wallet.

My classes are growing every day because of the amount of new families that move here every day. Obviously somebody likes it here. Maybe just not you. Its unfair to characterize it with some cliches and stale movie references.

I am sorry for turning this into a New York thing. I am just confused why some people have to pound their chest with pride and be negative against something that doesn't appeal to them. I guess some people don't have the capacity to see a variety of perspectives. There will be a time in my life (if I live long enough) where I will live in DR too. Just not now. I'm happy with where I live. DR is where my wife is from, and is a great change of pace for me a few times a year. Its just not in my plans for now. I am happy you are happy.

Last edited:

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
Aimelove,

OF COURSE you love DR, with its pleasant folks, beautiful women who will actually give a teacher the time of day,

Was your dating track record poor before you went to DR? Mine wasn't. I didn't answer some internet ad, or grab some skank out of being lonely and desperate. When I met my dominicana, I was an airline ticket clerk (I have only been teaching for 5 years), and was traveling alot of places and meeting women in different cities (not to mention the women that were going through La Guardia). I worked with my wife's cousin here in NYC. I had a couple of options as far as women. You can believe that or not. Again another incorrect generalization.

Also, women dig teachers because they assume we are sensitive, somewhat intelligent patient and good with kids. Only gold diggers avoid teachers to date (and who wants them anyway).

You are way off base dude.

Last edited:

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Was your dating track record poor before you went to DR? Mine wasn't. I didn't answer some internet ad, or grab some skank out of being lonely and desperate. When I met my dominicana, I was an airline ticket clerk (I have only been teaching for 5 years), and was traveling alot of places and meeting women in different cities (not to mention the women that were going through La Guardia). I worked with my wife's cousin here in NYC. I had a couple of options as far as women. You can believe that or not. Again another incorrect generalization.

Also, women dig teachers because they assume we are sensitive, somewhat intelligent patient and good with kids. Only gold diggers avoid teachers to date (and who wants them anyway).

WOW!!! To love the place where one is been raped non-stop 24/7/365 - the one must be saint!

Raped by endless tickets and fines, hours-long traffic jams (mostly created on purpose to slow down vehicles), police traps, sting operations, "parking enforcement", huge taxes ( are they used for the benefit of people? Any new bridge or tunnel or highway built in last 30 years to save millions of people from endless traffic?) , street parking meters, sexual harrasment charges.

Even holding a legally purchased bottle of beer in your hand in the street is crime.

For having oral sex with your wife in your bedroom you may face jail time.

And there is a person who says - I love it.

WOW! Hats off!!

He is saint. I am dead serious.

In the capital of one very big country city bosses also wanted to enrich themselves and installed street parking meters. In one night only the population destroyed them ALL.

Bosses got the message. No more attempts to charge money for driving or parking in PUBLIC streets since then.

Streets do not belong to one person only.
Sun does not belong to one person only.
Beach does not belong to one person only.
Air does not belong to one person only.

Even if he has billions and billions of $$.
God created our planet for ALL THE PEOPLE. It is our COMMON streets, beaches and parks. Not his private property to charge money for us parking there.

Dominican people understand this and will never accept being raped.

That is why we are here.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

Oh, wow, a ticket agent. That $8/hr must've gone a long way in impressing the cuties in Brooo-klin. :ermm:

It's not about me or you as individuals. I'm glad your gig as a ticket agent allowed you to see and sample the world.

Along with virtually everybody else, I initially traveled to the DR for the cuties. That wore off after a very short time, and I started noticing life beyond the touristy bit. Nowadays, I fly in and out of Santiago, and minimize my time on the north coast to a few beach days. I enjoy the cafes, the al fresco dining, the walks around the newly-restored monumento, and visiting with friends who call DR home - whether by birth or by choice.

Don't blame your parent's shortsightedness on moving there or your idiocy for staying there and subjecting your family to that place on me.

Ok, enough. I see my many well considered and on point criticisms of NYC are way too much for you to handle (although it is kinda fun getting your goat). And now you're questioning my dating life as a pathetic attempt to deflect from the facing the reality of the heinous pit you call home. Typical response (see my last post about delusional "groupthink").

Suffice to say I'm a well compensated african american professional living in Atlanta, and dating isn't a problem. I don't do ads, or women from NY. Never know what kind of psycho you're gonna get (although I imagine ads are safer, comparatively.) :tired:

Come to think of it, you gave up on NY and NA women yourself (having married a Dominicana and all). I can see how it makes sense, tho. Most MM women (or women in the Bronx, for that matter) wouldn't give a teacher - or ticket agent - the time of day, no matter how noble the profession. A dominicana tends to be less fixated on that. All that matter is what's in your heart - and your ability to get her a visa).:surprised

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
I have enjoyed most of the responses on this topic. But, I'm not really enjoying the personal attacks that are being made here. Are you all fighting each other on other threads as well?

I can't say that I have suffered the level of poverty or discrimination that many other people have, but I certainly hate it.

Anyway, I do love people, especially down to earth people. I'm sure I will have the opportunity to meet many quality human beings on my trip. I plan to stay far away from the AI's, not that quality people aren't there, it's just not my thing.

Dominicans I have met in the states are very warm and fun to be around. It is because of the many positive things I've heard from them that I decided to visit the DR.
The main reason for my OP was that I felt a bit alarmed by some of the negative things I've read here. I just wanted a bit more perspective, more specifically, a positive perspective.

Thanks to you who have made me excited about my DR adventure again. I look forward to experiencing it for myself.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Back to the thread. (ie..let's all point out everything good about DR and nothing bad)

I think there are enough threads on here about the bad stuff. That is why I posed the question to begin with. I don't think it is about denial at all.
By the way, I did enjoy the positive things you wrote about the Dominican Republic. You obviously have a soft spot for the place.

Rocky, I guess 2 W's will have to do:cheeky:

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
Don't blame your parent's shortsightedness on moving there or your idiocy for staying there and subjecting your family to that place on me.

Saying that one place on earth is perfect for all people is the height of "idiocy." Plus, the way I understand it, you don't live their either, so why are you on the chamber of commerce? DR is nice, lovely beautiful. So are other places on Earth. And I was not subjecting you to anything. I was just explaining that New York is a wonderful place to live for many people as well. Its called seeing other opinions other than your own. I try to teach that skill to my 12 year old students. I guess some adults need that training also. Sorry to break the rhythm of the thread again. Have a great day my brother.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Saying that one place on earth is perfect for all people is the height of "idiocy." Plus, the way I understand it, you don't live their either, so why are you on the chamber of commerce? DR is nice, lovely beautiful. So are other places on Earth. And I was not subjecting you to anything. I was just explaining that New York is a wonderful place to live for many people as well. Its called seeing other opinions other than your own. I try to teach that skill to my 12 year old students. I guess some adults need that training also. Sorry to break the rhythm of the thread again. Have a great day my brother.

I am a Brit, now live in the DR (which I love with a passion) but am visiting in the UK for a few weeks via the US - can't wait for my 2 days in NY.

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
I am a Brit, now live in the DR (which I love with a passion) but am visiting in the UK for a few weeks via the US - can't wait for my 2 days in NY.

I hope you have a great time. It will be difficult to see everything in 2 days. I hope you plan your time wisely. My next vacation trip will be to Madrid at Christmas time.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Aimelove,

Actually there is, just read Dante's Infe

There, in a nutshell, is your "fair" town. Compared to a place like that, DR really is more like Dante's Paradiso, 3rd world warts and all. OF COURSE you love DR, with its pleasant folks, beautiful women who will actually give a teacher the time of day, better weather, and laid back lifestyle. It is, admittedly far from perfect, but it's a lot closer than South Bronx - or Bensonhurst.[/quot

-O-

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have enjoyed most of the responses on this topic. But, I'm not really enjoying the personal attacks that are being made here. Are you all fighting each other on other threads as well?
It can get a bit wild at times, Memphis, but that's just the way it is when you toss thousands of people in together, all with different opinions.
For what it's worth, I think your thread is good.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Nice comment Rocky. Memphis, I let this one run as the in-fighting was really funny. Don't worry about it. There are nuggets of wisdom between the fits of laughter :laugh::laugh: Carry on!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I hope you have a great time. It will be difficult to see everything in 2 days. I hope you plan your time wisely. My next vacation trip will be to Madrid at Christmas time.

My time is planned by my 2 friends who live there so hopefully it will be more than worthwhile, albieit short, but I have to get back to UK to see my new grandchild, born 28th August.