Why does anyone live in the DR?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Aimelove,

I don't think DR is the best place for all people. I do, admittedly, think NYC is a horrible place to live, and that most parents are hopelessly negligent in raising their otherwise-promising children there.

I've read your other emails. You're not as openminded and free-spirited as you think. But then again, who is, really? You try and make the best of a bad situation (namely your obscenely poor judgement in where to live), and that is very Dominican of you, so you're ok in my book. :^)

So now that we're friends, do you have any leftover buddy passes you can send m...oh, never mind. LOL

salaam alakum to you too, my brother....LOL

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
To the OP.

I am truly sorry for giving in to my propensity to get the last word in. I debated with someone who I would walk away from in "real life". Your interjections were a clear indication that you felt uncomforable reading this debate. Like a guy who invited the wrong people to his party and made it bad for everybody. Sorry bout that.

I do have a sincere question though. If you only wanted everyone to share positive stories about living in DR, why is the title of this thread in a form of a question? Doesn't appear like a rhetorical question either. As I have stated earlier, DR is very cool, but is it out of the realm of possibility that other places are cool also or that DR has some negative aspects to living in it as well?

I am going to go off topic one more time, than Elvis will be out of the building (at least for this thread).

To DR Rob,

I would never allow myself to be friends with anyone so irrational and dumb. I am glad you are happy. People deserve to be happy.

Yeah, I took some time away from my career path and worked for an airline for a few years. Before that, I had gone straight from high school, to college, to graduate school. I also completed an enlistment in the Army Reserves during that time. I wanted to travel and do something fun outside of academia temporarily. I thought about the Peace Corps or teaching english as a second language abroad, but the airlines was where I ended up.

I waited on people and put up with peoples' bs. I had supervisors with much less education than me. I worked in the training dept as well because of my teaching background, so I made a little more money than you estimated, but that's irrelevant. I also paid down some of my student loan debt, substitute taught on the side and met women from different cultures and backgrounds. A great learning experience. You'd be surprised what women will do if they think you can put them in first class, let their overweight luggage go for free or check them in when they are running late. When I met my wife, I was dating a 19 year old dominican from Brooklyn (beautiful, but kind of crazy, I think she had another boyfriend) and a Peruvian girl from Queens (she became a little conceited after she went to DR and got plastic surgery). Why I feel the need to run down my personal business and life story now, I don't know, I guess because I never had someone try to "dis" me for what I've done with my life publicly (and because its 2:36AM).

I like the Dominican Republic also, for all of the reasons that have been shared on this thread. When I went there to party with my wife's cousin for the first time, I liked it immediately. Even the gate area in Philadelphia for the flight was full of fine women.

One of my closest friends at the job was a dominican guy who refused to go back there because of some of the things he remembered being poor and hungry as a kid. He was more into visiting places like Orlando and LA. He wanted to sample more of what the US had to offer. My wife's cousin (who is also my friend) was different . He wore his love of his country on his sleeve. Would go back to DR at every opportunity. Loves to be the tour guide for the gringos and gringas.

People are different. Different living situations work for different people. If you can find happiness anywhere (DR, London, New York, Chicago, Baja Mexico, wherever) wonderful. Its a big world out there, and nobody has cornered the market on happiness yet.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Ok, that's it.

All of this was in fun, and I wasn't anywhere near serious about slamming you, and certainly not your wife or kids. From other posts on other threads which I've seen you on, I was hoping you realized that I was just having fun.

But now you're up in the middle of the morning, unnecessarily justifying yourself.

The reason this message is public versus a pm is because I wanted to apologize to you and to all. I think being a responsible and reflective husband and father is incredible, and though we haven't met, respect you for that.

The only people you have to explain yourself to are God and your wife (not necessarily in that order) :^)

Seriously, please don't take my comments about you to heart, and all the best to you and your family.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
To the OP.

I am truly sorry for giving in to my propensity to get the last word in. I debated with someone who I would walk away from in "real life". Your interjections were a clear indication that you felt uncomforable reading this debate. Like a guy who invited the wrong people to his party and made it bad for everybody. Sorry bout that.

I do have a sincere question though. If you only wanted everyone to share positive stories about living in DR, why is the title of this thread in a form of a question? Doesn't appear like a rhetorical question either. As I have stated earlier, DR is very cool, but is it out of the realm of possibility that other places are cool also or that DR has some negative aspects to living in it as well?

I am going to go off topic one more time, than Elvis will be out of the building (at least for this thread)..

I said earlier that I probably should have worded my question a bit differently. After that, I clearly defined my intent and reason for asking the question, and also why I appreciated those whose posts were focused on the positive aspects of the DR. Apparently, you're too busy arguing with DRob to even read my posts.

didi

Dec 24, 2002
Why live in the DR

Sure, there ARE "quirks" about living in the DR; all that is true. I do work at La Romana and San Pedro and have had my share of robberies to person and possessions [ cameras, cash, passport]. I am relocating soon again. Why? With all the "trouble" mentioned would I do a seemingly hair-brained thing like that? Because even with the quirky problems, there is a visibility and unrepentingly honesty to the conditions there. The American Dream no longer is and so I would rather be in a place where I can "do something" than watch my country and its once- strong wthic erode. Oh, I won't give up my citizenship, but the DR is a place where I can use my strengths and abilities for others and learn something myself. I am NOT some Pollyanna-ish, naive babe. I have had a lot of difficult losses in my life, so I can understand what drives the Dominicans. I am not alone in that. Life is more than a beach.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Sure, there ARE "quirks" about living in the DR; all that is true. I do work at La Romana and San Pedro and have had my share of robberies to person and possessions [ cameras, cash, passport]. I am relocating soon again. Why? With all the "trouble" mentioned would I do a seemingly hair-brained thing like that? Because even with the quirky problems, there is a visibility and unrepentingly honesty to the conditions there. The American Dream no longer is and so I would rather be in a place where I can "do something" than watch my country and its once- strong wthic erode. Oh, I won't give up my citizenship, but the DR is a place where I can use my strengths and abilities for others and learn something myself. I am NOT some Pollyanna-ish, naive babe. I have had a lot of difficult losses in my life, so I can understand what drives the Dominicans. I am not alone in that. Life is more than a beach.
Very interesting and valid post.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Two questions that I have

1) what is it, you think, you can do("in a place where I can 'do something')
2) why would you not "give up my citizenship"?

Please enlighten me.
Thanks, JOHN

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I wonder when you guys are going to take the hint from the OP, that she is asking about the positive things about living in the DR, and respect her wishes of taking your off topic battles elsewhere.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I wonder when you guys are going to take the hint from the OP, that she is asking about the positive things about living in the DR, and respect her wishes of taking your off topic battles elsewhere.

After which word from the maestro -- the air cleared and there was a refreshing if not deafening silence. Thanks Marc.

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
Ok, that's it.

All of this was in fun, and I wasn't anywhere near serious about slamming you, and certainly not your wife or kids. From other posts on other threads which I've seen you on, I was hoping you realized that I was just having fun.

But now you're up in the middle of the morning, unnecessarily justifying yourself.

The reason this message is public versus a pm is because I wanted to apologize to you and to all. I think being a responsible and reflective husband and father is incredible, and though we haven't met, respect you for that.

The only people you have to explain yourself to are God and your wife (not necessarily in that order) :^)

Seriously, please don't take my comments about you to heart, and all the best to you and your family.

Its all good. I accept your apology. I was up so late because I have the flu (those damn kids pass their germs beginning of every school year). My wife is pregnant so I have been banished to sleep in the living room so she doesn't catch it too. How many football highlights can a sick man watch before he grabs his laptop and starts posting? I meant what I wrote, but I could have condensed it. Oops, I said Elvis left the building. Take it easy. I am not doing PM because goodness knows how many people read my biography during the day today.

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
Don't worry. I come in peace.

I have two.

You can order anything from the calmado (yuca, a piece of gum) and have it sent to your house via motorcycle. Try that in the states. No dice. I'm out of cold medicine now. I wish some kid could bring some Theraflu over on a bike in 5 minutes.

Also, the public car system is pretty good. It can be uncomfortable when they get packed, but the price is very nice.

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
Don't worry. I come in peace.

I have two.

You can order anything from the calmado (yuca, a piece of gum) and have it sent to your house via motorcycle. Try that in the states. Here most places have a minimum order for a delivery. I'm out of cold medicine right now. I wish some kid could bring some Theraflu over on a bike in 5 minutes.

Also, the public car system is pretty good. It can be uncomfortable when they get packed, but the price is very nice.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
New bridge or new bomber?

More Workers Start Commutes Earlier - AOL News

I don't have to get up at 4:30 a.m. and head home after 6pm to avoid traffic.
Wow, do I not miss this!

Me neither.

Anyway, if anybody really would care about the plight of these poor souls - taxpayers (who have to live not only with the longest traffics but with the longest work week in the World as well!!) , it could be very easy to build new bridges, highways and tunnels instead of manufacturing countless new toys like this one -
LondonInfoTech ? Blog Archive ? Russian tries to buy B-2 bomber for $500 million

(each costing $ 500 000 000 (five hundred million).

franberu

Apr 5, 2002
What a strange question! Because we like it!

It is true that you don't have all the superficials advantages of developed countrie in DR and that is precious for me. The values of poeple are much closer to what I am looking for, honesty, humanity and anything other than pressure for doing things at a hundred miles per hour for nothing.
The nature is marvellous and we have a great variety of fruits, vegetables and things you cannot find in other countries.
The story of the country is rich and gave to their inhabitants a very nice culture.