Why don't dominicans like cumbia

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
What happened to ColombianLisa ?

Well, she came and went.

I really didn't understand her agenda, her original thread question was about "why Dominicans don't like Cumbia" but it looked like she was more concerned in praising Colombian artists over Dominicans and to say that our musicians have no creativity outside singing vallenatos covers.

I educated her in the fact that DR is overflowing with talent.

So, she was proved wrong and left.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
CLisa had some really go post, but she made one error when she stated Colombian Salsa is second to Puerto Rico and Cuba. Many people make the mistake by associating Puerto Rican Salsa with New York Salsa and they both have a different sound IMO. Dominican salsa is okay while I am in the DR, but I almost never listen to it outside DR. Now Colombian salsa two of my favorite songs, no three of my favorite songs: Oiga Mira Vea Guayacan, En Barranquilla Me Quedo Joe Arroyo, Apreita Grupo Niche., I listen to these songs all the time.

A good example was Ruben Blades he was from Panama, but his sound was ALL New York like his song" El Cazangero" Victor Manuelle, Gilberto Santa Rosa their style is more of " Tropical Salsa" then New York Salsa.

Cumbia I will have to pass on that not my style. Dominicans are very good at Bachata, Merengue, but Salsa not so much.

BTW the GREAT Johnny Pacheco was not Dominican he was a New Yorker and you can tell this by his sound, otherwise it would have been many more Johnny Pacheco, but I know of only one.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Johnny Pacheco Is still alive.
I agree that he is a New Yorker because he was raised in New York but he is indeed Dominican and was influenced by his Dominican fathers musical talents.
There's no doubt that he is one of the pioneers of the great sounds of NY salsa and the Fania All Stars.

Que viva la salsa!

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Two of my favorite Dominican Salsas

First:

[video=youtube_share;EvgYy7QWoPo]http://youtu.be/EvgYy7QWoPo[/video]

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Right!!! Both these songs are GOOD I can listen to them all day in DR, but outside I don't think so. Dominican salsa is fine, but I prefer salsa from, PR, Cuba, NYC and Cali, Colombia. My top five is:

1.Hector Lavoe & Willie Colon, Pirana
2.Hector Lavoe & Willie Colon, Ella Mintio
3.Hector Lavoe & Willie Colon, Te Conozco
4.Hector Lavoe & Willie Colon, Timbalero
5.Hector Lavoe & Willie Colon, El Todopoderoso

The two best muscial geniuses ever to walk the earth.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Well, I love Hector and Willie but they are kinda overplayed in my scene. If you're gonna go in that direction you could include Roberto Roena, Ray Barretto, Eddie Palmieri, Cheo Feliciano, Pete "el conde" Rodriguez, Tito Puente, Tito Rodriguez, Celia Cruz, El Gran Combo de Puerto Rico, La Sonora Poncena, Ismael Rivera, Los Hermos Lebron, etc.

Calen25

Oct 5, 2013
that's why we don't like Cumbia:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5-DUIGBJgOQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Que merenguito.

JJ

Not as good as this[video=youtube;36Dxz3uHIkc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Dxz3uHIkc[/video]

Which is actual cumbia

Calen25

Oct 5, 2013
or this vallenato [video=youtube;k3mIuGcCDwU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3mIuGcCDwU[/video]

Calen25

Oct 5, 2013
I came back to this thread by mistake and never read it through properly the first time but to the person saying that we don't have as many well known singers must be on crack.. I can mention any of the old farts who are more well known through the entire Latin American world (specifically Central and south America) better than any one on the list so far. With Just Lizandro Mesa, Alfredo Gutierrez, or Rodolfo Aicardi I can guarantee you from top to bottom of the Americas most if not all Latin Americans have heard from them. Not to mention others of the old generation alone with international fame like Alci Acosta, the great black woman of Colombia, Pacho Galan (the creator of Merecumbe) , Joe Arroyo ( who also created Joeson), the rest of the Corraleros of Majagual, Di?medes D?az, Niche, Guayacan, Dario Gomez, Pastor Lopez, Sonora Dinamita, amongst a handful from the new generation that cover from rock to regional peasant music that still have more international fame than the ones you describe like Los Arteciopelados, Cabas, Juanes , Shakira, Fanny Lu,Checo Acosta, Charlie Zaa, Silvestre Dangond, Omar Geles, Maia, Juanes, Jorge Celedon,Fonseca, seriously I can go on all day.

Also that cumbia that you guys pulled up earlier is either big band influence cumbia from the 50's or the watered down mexican stuff. Whom ever said fulano can do it because the accordeon sounds cheezy, the accordeon is not an original cumbia instrument. That's cumbia vallenata. Yes, true original cumbia sounds ancestral and very tribal because that's what it is - a negro spiritual to get through a hard days work but cumbia and it's derivatives is played more through out Latin America than merenge (seriously ever been to an Ecuadorian or Peruvian party?) Hands down salsa has it down as the most popular. Lastly that vallenato that you guys copy isn't true vallenato to begin with. The older ones you saw were a watered down off shoot of the air (style) called "son". The other type flowing around now adays that you guys copy of off is "new wave" vallenato -- like the second vid above, that is mixed with other genre's (cumbia in this one). True vallenato has 4 airs (rhythms or airs) such a son, merenge (not to be confused with Dominican merengue, there's also another merengue from Cuba in the 40's and 50's), paseo, and puya. For example this following vid is a good example of puya which is more regional

[video=youtube;67apr4phm0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67apr4phm0c[/video]

Last edited:

Calen25

Oct 5, 2013
There's also off shoots called pasebol and I forget the rest. Old vallenato was sung with guitars and still is in some places. We also have other regional music with derivatives, sub-styles, and adaptions (La Camisa Negra is actually a vulgar paisa music called guasca that was famous WORLD WIDE) such as champeta, mapale, currulao, torbellino, bambuco, san juaneros, san juanitos (technically ecuadorian), passillos (ecuadorian), joropo llaneros, spanish rock, aguabajo, bambuco fiestero, bambuco negro, Alabao,Andarele o Amanecer,Arrullo,Bambara Negra, Bambuco Viejo, Berej?,Boga, Bunde Chocoano, Caderona , Calipso Chocoano,Chigualo o Gual?,Contradanza Chocoana,Danza Chocoana,Jota Chocoana,Juga,La Caramba,La Madruga,Makerule,Mazurka chocoana,Pango o Pangora,Patacor?,Polka Chocoana,Porro Chocoano,Preg?n,Romance,Salve,Saporrond?n o Sapo-Rond?,Son Chocoano,Tamborito Chocoano,Tiguarand?,Villancico Chocoano,Bunde,Ca?a,Ca?abrava,Carranga,Copla,Danza Criolla,Porro Antioque?o,Rajale?a,Rumba Campesina,Fandanguillo Criollo,Guabina,Guane?a,Pasillo,Sanjuanero,Torbell ino,Vueltas Antioque?as,Criollo waltz

That's just 2 regions alone and I doubt other than Dominican Merengue, Bachata, and a few regional rythms in DR it still wouldn't match half of this list which is 25 % of the different styles of music that we have. Will they ever get international status? Unlikely, but I can guarantee you that we have more diversity, more ingenuity, more talent in music, gastronomy, sports, and in arts than what you give us credit for.

Truth, to be honest, I absolutely love Dominican culture, beautiful women , and amazing amazing people. We shouldn't be fighting in the Latino/Hispanic community like this instead of apreciating each other, because when we do that we apreceate who we are and what we have more.

Lastly I leave this
[video=youtube;6exx0sB_iOA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6exx0sB_iOA[/video]

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
But not as good as Merengue, Bachata and Salsa singers. (And nobody know them, Carlos Vives is the exception). Lack of marketing.

You have to keep in mind that the three Spanish speaking Caribbean Islands (Cuba, Dominican Rep, and Puerto Rico) are world super powers when it comes to music, and world class musicians. That's why it is so hard for foreign genre music to penetrate.

really? super powers? i can understand Cuba and PR, but what music genre does the DR have that is superpower league?

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I frequent both dominican and central american establishments here in boston. Guatemalans and el salvadoran youths very much enjoy bachata and reggaeton. Occasionally i may hear a vicente fernandez song in the dominican places, but changed up to a merengue rhythm. Very weird at 12:30 am with a belly full of beer.

The good about this is that people from other countries like and dance Bachatas and Merengues, I'm surprised to see how people love our Dominican music.
I've been to a Peruvian pollada and to a Colombian party here in Raleigh, my feeling was as if I would be in a Dominican party as Bachatas and Menrengues were played mixed with Salsa all time.

JJ

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
Is cumbia too damn slow and boring to caribbean ears?
I can't generalize and speak for everyone in the DR and I haven't seen a credible survey on the topic. Boring is subjective. As far as slow music, there is slow music in the caribbean like son montuno, cha cha, guaracha, bolero , etc. If I had to speculate on a preference, it would be the fact that people tend to like the music that is a by product of their culture and history such a merengue, la bachata, and salsa in the DR.