Why Don't Spanish Speaking People NEVER Wanna Speak to me?

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Indeed that point is interesting, my observations are (not that I have a ton of them), but, that the "older generation" folks would stick to their native language, whereby the younger folks kind of flip back and forth.

True and it also depends on the person's command of the language and their environment. For e.g. Miami. Even some of the older folks you will hear mixing in some English. However, not from the ones who have been living in Miami for over thirty years and speak no English at all. That is incredible. In my opinion, I think it is better to speak one or the other. If one has a good command of both languages there is no need to go back and forth.

-MP.

Jul 28, 2014
If one has a good command of both languages there is no need to go back and forth.

-MP.

I think where it's seen more is from those, for example, born in the U.S. but whose parents are Dominican/Puerto Rican. When the younger folks are conversing with each other, they will some times change back and forth.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I think where it's seen more is from those, for example, born in the U.S. but whose parents are Dominican/Puerto Rican. When the younger folks are conversing with each other, they will some times change back and forth.

Estoy de acuerdo 100%.

-MP

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
In addition to what the OP questioned there are two other concepts about language communication that I find interesting. 

1. Two bilingual speakers for example both English and Spanish- observe their choice of communication. Is it pure English? Pure Spanish? or a mix of both. Look at their age when you observe in what language and how they communicate. 

2. The other concept is tied to the discussion in the thread. If a speaker has a good command of Spanish and they address a person in Spanish and the other person responses in English for some people it's considered rude or right away changes the way the communication will evolve. Some people don't care but I know many who feel offended and I can understand why. Maybe at some point one can switch but from a language perspective it is not a bad idea to get the first response back in Spanish and then let the dialogue evolve from there.

Bilingualism is tricky. My preference is one or the other. I do not mix the two languages (English and Spanish) when speaking. As well, with certain Spanish speakers I only speak Spanish to them even if they speak English. In my case it is out of preference and some cases respect (if it's an older person).

-MP. 

I am bilingual  french/english, ie learned both languges as a toddler.  When talking with truly bilingual people it comes out as a mix, english words in french phrases and vice versa, reverting from french to english and vice versa.....  but this only works with truly bilingual people, imo.
Whereas its not possible for me to do that with spanish or german, languages that i learned later on in life.

We do that all the time with my wife. I'll speak to her in spanish, she will answer in french, we will continue in french, then revert back to spanish, and so on...... couldnt say why though !!  The diffrence between the above and this, is that whole sentances will be either in spanish or in french, as opposed to a méli-mélo. 

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
2. The other concept is tied to the discussion in the thread. If a speaker has a good command of Spanish and they address a person in Spanish and the other person responses in English for some people it's considered rude or right away changes the way the communication will evolve. Some people don't care but I know many who feel offended and I can understand why. Maybe at some point one can switch but from a language perspective it is not a bad idea to get the first response back in Spanish and then let the dialogue evolve from there.
-MP. 

Interesting !

I have a friend of mine whose fluent in Spanish and address every Hispanics looking person in Spanish. To me, it is rude and it embarrasses me. She doesn't see it. First, I argue with her that many times she might address US born Hispanics who many, at the end of the day, are more comfortable in English (whether thy switch back and forth, they speak better English). I have also seen Latinos slightly offended, may be they think we assume they are uneducated ?

In any case, it should be up to the native speakers to decide. It doesn't make any sense to try to have a conversation with someone in a language he/she struggles with when we have another language where we could actually understand each other (I have had that happen with French in the US).

Another example, people assumed I was from the Islands (Guadeloupe) and tried to speak to me in Creole growing up, very annoying and even my friend who were originally from the Islands hated it, so my opinion may be based on that experience.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I am bilingual  french/english, ie learned both languges as a toddler.  When talking with truly bilingual people it comes out as a mix, english words in french phrases and vice versa, reverting from french to english and vice versa.....  but this only works with truly bilingual people, imo.
Whereas its not possible for me to do that with spanish or german, languages that i learned later on in life.

We do that all the time with my wife. I'll speak to her in spanish, she will answer in french, we will continue in french, then revert back to spanish, and so on...... couldnt say why though !!  The diffrence between the above and this, is that whole sentances will be either in spanish or in french, as opposed to a méli-mélo. 
No need to explain. I have witnessed this phenomenon all my life with communication. Some people communicate this way very naturally and I noticed for others it formed out of a habit for many reasons. Two reasons being lack of a full command in one or both languages and as many people say they just can't be bothered- laziness. Some people who are truly bilingual speak using both languages and then there are others who do one or the other. A cada cual lo suyo.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Interesting !

I have a friend of mine whose fluent in Spanish and address every Hispanics looking person in Spanish. To me, it is rude and it embarrasses me. She doesn't see it. First, I argue with her that many times she might address US born Hispanics who many, at the end of the day, are more comfortable in English (whether thy switch back and forth, they speak better English). I have also seen Latinos slightly offended, may be they think we assume they are uneducated ?

In any case, it should be up to the native speakers to decide. It doesn't make any sense to try to have a conversation with someone in a language he/she struggles with when we have another language where we could actually understand each other (I have had that happen with French in the US).

Another example, people assumed I was from the Islands (Guadeloupe) and tried to speak to me in Creole growing up, very annoying and even my friend who were originally from the Islands hated it, so my opinion may be based on that experience.
I understand what you are saying but my example is more along the lines of if someone greets you in Spanish (meaning the OP), she is expecting a response in Spanish which I think is normal. Then if the person wants to switch to English that's fine. I think there is a subtle linguistic politeness there. That is why the OP is asking -why don't they speak to me in Spanish?

Unfortunately, people assume where a person is from and then start speaking to them in XXX language. Some people are offended and some are not. Unless one knows for sure it is not recommended to start speaking to someone in a foreign language if you think they look xxx.

Guadeloupe? It is an overseas French territory. The population does speak French, right?

-MP.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I understand what you are saying but my example is more along the lines of if someone greets you in Spanish (meaning the OP), she is expecting a response in Spanish which I think is normal. Then if the person wants to switch to English that's fine. I think there is a subtle linguistic politeness there. That is why the OP is asking -why don't they speak to me in Spanish?

Unfortunately, people assume where a person is from and then start speaking to them in XXX language. Some people are offended and some are not. Unless one knows for sure it is not recommended to start speaking to someone in a foreign language if you think they look xxx.

Guadeloupe? It is an overseas French territory. The population does speak French, right?

-MP.

Yes, I understood what you meant , I was just giving another context in the US of a linguistic "faux pas" :) As far as the OP is concern, it must be frustrating, but she should keep trying.

Yes, everyone speaks French in Guadeloupe, but among themselves (in less formal setting), they speak creole.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Certain words in one language simply express a concept better. This example has been used before, but "empalagoso" to describe a food or a person is the best example I can think of. There are words in English like rich, cloying, sickly-sweet, overpowering, smarmy, oily... but none of them sum up the notion as effectively as "empalagoso". That's why, if I'm with another bilingual speaker, I might find myself saying "that person is so... empalagoso" or "this cake is too... empalagoso".

There is also so-called alingualism in immigrant communities where acquisition of each language is incomplete: the "home" language (e.g. Spanish for Latino immigrants to the US) is not adequate for many concepts they need to express in the wider world (education, workplace, officialdom), and when out in the wider world they have not been exposed to so much of the "home" vocabulary so when discussing something domestic in English they might struggle to find the words for common household items. In an informal setting with their peers it is understandable that they sometimes switch/insert words in the other language depending on context.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Certain words in one language simply express a concept better. This example has been used before, but "empalagoso" to describe a food or a person is the best example I can think of. There are words in English like rich, cloying, sickly-sweet, overpowering, smarmy, oily... but none of them sum up the notion as effectively as "empalagoso". That's why, if I'm with another bilingual speaker, I might find myself saying "that person is so... empalagoso" or "this cake is too... empalagoso".

There is also so-called alingualism in immigrant communities where acquisition of each language is incomplete: the "home" language (e.g. Spanish for Latino immigrants to the US) is not adequate for many concepts they need to express in the wider world (education, workplace, officialdom), and when out in the wider world they have not been exposed to so much of the "home" vocabulary so when discussing something domestic in English they might struggle to find the words for common household items. In an informal setting with their peers it is understandable that they sometimes switch/insert words in the other language depending on context.

My favorite in that category is vacuum cleaniando! It takes someone who is at least un poco bilingual to understand it, but it flies.
Der Fish

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

I minored in Spanish in the US, I was surpised to find out that many of my classmates were Latinos. At the time, it made no sense, but now that I am raising kids who speak a different language at home, I totally understand. My kids can barely read in French and and when they attempt to do so, they sound 1000% American (which is funny to me, because they have no accent otherwise). So, now, I understand that they may have to take classes to be fully bilingual. I believe that their acquisition of English is similar to their peers though (at least I hope so, lol).

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
Darn, no wonder I have so much trouble communicating with Dominicans.
For years I have been trying to speak Spanish with them instead of "DOMINICAN".

That's why I say in my resume that I am fluent in 27 languages, Dominican, Mexican, Guatemalan, Columbian, etc.....

Aug 6, 2006
Being of mostly English, Dutch and Irish blood, I don't really look Dominican, but I do speak Spanish fluently, as I have a several degrees in it and taught Spanish for 40 years, I do not have this problem. Everyone seems to understand me. I don't always understand Dominicans because they use different words for some things that I still am not familiar with.

I think people respond in English because they want to make sure you understand them.

Understanding a language is not the same thing as speaking it. Or perhaps they want to be courteous.

No one speaks English much in Barahona. It is not as cosmopolitan as SD or even Juan Dolio or Sam Pablo.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
A good example of bilingualism in popular music, Reggaeton, is Atrevete, Te, Te. by Calle 13. Easy to access if you have Pandora. 

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Yes, I understood what you meant , I was just giving another context in the US of a linguistic "faux pas" :) As far as the OP is concern, it must be frustrating, but she should keep trying.

Yes, everyone speaks French in Guadeloupe, but among themselves (in less formal setting), they speak creole.
Thanks for confirming that they speak French because that is what I also knew. As well, the creole they speak is understood in all of the French-speaking Caribbean countries and also French Guiana. For example, Les Martiniquais speak the same creole from what I have been told and the islands are close to each other so it makes sense.

BTW- Just as a side have you ever read any literature written by Maryse Condé (Guadelopue) or Patrick Chamoiseau (Martiniquais)? Give them a try. I don’t think you will be disappointed. It’s great Afro French Caribbean literature.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
My favorite in that category is vacuum cleaniando! It takes someone who is at least un poco bilingual to understand it, but it flies.
Der Fish
This would pass in the USA but not in a Spanish-speaking country. There is a way but due to the lack of knowledge of the proper vocabulary you get these inventions. I like the real way pasar la aspiradora.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

Muy interesante.

-MP.

Aug 6, 2006
Esta pipa necesita hueldeando. ~ This pipe needs welding.

Ay nos estamos huacheando.~See you. Tengo que llevar a la huifa a la groseria~ I have to take my wife to the grocery. .

Nuevo Mexico Spanglish.