Why Don't Spanish Speaking People NEVER Wanna Speak to me?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
When this happens to me (sporadically) I just talk to them in Dutch untill they have to switch back to Spanish. Then I explain them that not every " narrow nose" is Americano.
............geez.......better a nose than a....... mind..........

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
That I get, but I am talking about saying, "Hola, como estas" and they respond to you saying, "hello I am fine" lol.

They're being nice to you. Like I said, they also just want to practice. Plus, "gringos" have a certain rep for not caring much for other languages. People may think that this is what you want.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A Canadian guy once told me that Americans spoke American but Canadians spoke English.
Just like that, he erased Quebec! Ouch!

To the OP, tell people you are learning Spanish and want to practice. Most people will give you their time even if in other circumstances they would had given you the cold shoulder. People don't have time for nonsense unless they are warned before hand.

I speak fluently three languages and I tend to automatically switch to the language the other person dominates best, unless they tell me they want to practice. If I don't know their language, tough luck!

Edited to add:
Oh yes, almost forgot. Marianopolita, Barcelona? Really? Come on!

Last edited:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I would also suggest, most respectfully, that you check your own syntax. Because "why don't Spanish-speaking people never want to speak to me..." is not correct. The correct syntax is "why don't Spanish-speaking people ever want to speak to me."

Just as resident grammar bitch, I couldn't let this pass. I pass this on as a teacher.

I was thinking along the same lines. If your Spanish is worse than your English how could anyone even understand a thing. Reminds me of a sign in the Haitian section in Miami. A sign in a window stated "We speaks Englick" And I thought "i hopes you speaks it better than you writes it!"
Der Fish

Apr 7, 2014
I find this to be true with Latin Americans however, I can't say the same for Spaniards because I don't have enough interaction with speakers from Spain. My feeling is the dynamic is different because a large percentage of Spaniards have very little to no knowledge of English so they may find themselves in a situation where they have to be patient.

The reason why many Latin Americans snub the foreigner who is trying to learn Spanish is something I have asked myself for years. I also have a colleague who will not speak to anyone in Spanish unless they are a native speaker or of Latin heritage. While his English is okay it's very heavily accented. I asked him why and he said he does not feel comfortable speaking in Spanish to anyone who is not a Spanish speaker which is what I suspected. Then there are those in the same age group who totally embrace the foreigner and try to help by speaking to them in Spanish and afterwards give them pointers on what they should say or say differently. Some of this generational.

I think it also depends on the level of confidence of the foreigner. I have seen many Latinos snub the foreigner who is learning- ouch! It's frustrating but it happens. I also feel there is a certain level of pride involved meaning the thought 'how dare you butcher my language' many Spanish speakers are sensitive to that. However, it does not help the person who is trying to learn. As well, if your accent is heavy there is a high probability you will get the snub. I am not saying it's correct, it's just the way it is. 

The new generation of speakers today let's say the last 15 years or so is totally different since Spanish has become more globalized via technology, music, social media etc. it's a language many people want to learn and feel a connection to it. This generation embraces the foreigner more willingly and they want their friends to speak Spanish too if possible. Keep in mind Spanish is not a lingua franca whereas English is thus the reason why it has lost a lot in terms of what is considered acceptable grammar- a total barco a la deriva if you ask me.

-MP.
They have an inferiority complex. Their ego takes the one thing they know better than you and runs away with it.
If they were learning English they would love the opportunity to try and speak it to you. The only drawback there is if they arent learning English from a native English speaker there will be grandiose comprehension problems.
But on the other foot, they dont want to practice their language with you because of all the things in the universe that can be known that is the one thing they know better than you. So they want to hoard access to total language proficiency from you.
Younger people dont feel that way as much because they are bombarded by American pop culture and Internet/smartphone technology is pervasive. So they learn quite a few English phrases and the Spanish execution tends to be global than regional or parochial.

Jul 28, 2014
What language is Dominican?

-MP.

Dominican - Que lo que, como tu ta

None of my Hispanic co workers, who are from Costa Rica , Colombia , and Mexico use those (or a lot of other words and/or sayings I hear while in La R.D.), and at first wondered where I had learned that...

Jul 28, 2014
That's not a lenguage, that's mal hablao.

Its the difference in how they speak. i.e. If you were to hear someone from the deep south of the U.S. speak, you certainly know they aren't from England.

As for "lenguage" , I am not sure if you are trying to write Language, or it's a Dominican word for "tongueage"

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Dominican - Que lo que, como tu ta

None of my Hispanic co workers, who are from Costa Rica , Colombia , and Mexico use those (or a lot of other words and/or sayings I hear while in La R.D.), and at first wondered where I had learned that...

Absolutely no examples necessary. Please browse the history of my posts in this forum. My post was to point out from a linguistic perspective one has to be more clear. One can say speak the Dominican vernacular or Dominican (style) Spanish but to say to speak Dominican....por favor.

-MP.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It is funny. I have noticed as soon as I speak a little Spanish people start talking to me as if I was fluent. I certainly underatand far more than I can speak. When I listen to some non-Spanish people speaking Spanish I pray my pronuciation is not as horrible but it probably is.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
In addition to what the OP questioned there are two other concepts about language communication that I find interesting. 

1. Two bilingual speakers for example both English and Spanish- observe their choice of communication. Is it pure English? Pure Spanish? or a mix of both. Look at their age when you observe in what language and how they communicate. 

2. The other concept is tied to the discussion in the thread. If a speaker has a good command of Spanish and they address a person in Spanish and the other person responds in English for some people it's considered rude or right away changes the way the communication will evolve. Some people don't care but I know many who feel offended and I can understand why. Maybe at some point one can switch but from a language perspective it is not a bad idea to get the first response back in Spanish and then let the dialogue evolve from there.

Bilingualism is tricky. My preference is one or the other. I do not mix the two languages (English and Spanish) when speaking. As well, with certain Spanish speakers I only speak Spanish to them even if they speak English. In my case it is out of preference and some cases respect (if it's an older person).

-MP. 

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
It is funny. I have noticed as soon as I speak a little Spanish people start talking to me as if I was fluent. I certainly underatand far more than I can speak. When I listen to some non-Spanish people speaking Spanish I pray my pronuciation is not as horrible but it probably is.

This is so true and it is another concept as well. A little attempt and people start speaking to you but I think it is wonderful. Embrace it and use it as encouragement to learn more.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
BTW- we can't discuss soccer in this thread but Barcelona was mentioned. Yes, great soccer team, second in La Liga right now and in the finals of the Champions League. Enough said.

Jul 28, 2014
In addition to what the OP questioned there are two other concepts about language communication that I find interesting. 

1. Two bilingual speakers for example both English and Spanish- observe their choice of communication. Is it pure English? Pure Spanish? or a mix of both. Look at their age when you observe in what language and how they communicate. 

Indeed that point is interesting, my observations are (not that I have a ton of them), but, that the "older generation" folks would stick to their native language, whereby the younger folks kind of flip back and forth.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Where I come from, Gibraltar, where the official language is English and Spanish is the home/street language, it used to be a way of pulling rank or vice versa. If you addressed someone in English and they replied in Spanish they were often signalling that you should get off your high horse. If you address someone in Spanish and they reply in English they might be telling you not to be too familiar.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Learning Spanish can be s frustrating lol...

Have you ever tried to speak to a Spanish speaking person and they just ignore you or answer you in English? I rather them ignore me that answer in English lol...

I thought I was the only one, but this interesting post here talking about the topic! Very interesting read... They don't do that in the DR tho lol...

https://www.grittyspanish.com/?p=22087

If this a DR related problem, I am very surprised this has happened to you frequent enough for concern unless you spend your days only around English speaking Dominicans- and this would be very odd as it is rare I run into a Dominican who speaks English.