Why Don't Spanish Speaking People NEVER Wanna Speak to me?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
We are notoriously deficient in Spanish, and most non-Dominicans would agree that we're probably the worst offenders.

BUT...

But we would never, ever...

Doctor to parent: "How did it go last night?"

Interpreter to parent: "¿Cómo estuvo durante la noche?"

"Proper-Spanished" Parent: "Ella durmió bien, pero luego recordó y devolvió."

Interpreter to doctor: "She slept well, but then she remembered and returned."

Doctor: "Remembered and returned?"

Interpreter: "¿Recordó y devolvió?"

Parent: "Sí, así es: ella despertó y vomitó."

So, while we may mangle, trash, execute, violate, injure, bruise, bludgeon, desecrate the language by replacing 'Rs' with 'Ls' in certain cases, and dropping 'Ss' in others, or making up words, we would never do the above.

Eso e' pa' que tú bea... que no todo e' colol de rosa, y má' pa'lante bibe gente

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
"Proper-Spanished" come sapote picho blanco!

Well, primero, I made up the term 'proper-Spanished' to show that the parent in question is not Dominican.

Secondly, there's nothing better in the world than a zapote smoothie, even better than a 'morir-soñando' de leche Carnation y naranja agria.

Thirdly, the term is 'pinche;' and fourthly, I ain't white. But I did stay at the Holiday Inn Express last night.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Never heard it in the DR, but arrojar can mean vomitar too, as well as devolver. Where were these parents from?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Never heard it in the DR, but arrojar can mean vomitar too, as well as devolver. Where were these parents from?

Mexican parents.

And while what comes out of their mouths is music to my Dominican ears, they're just like the rest of us:

A Dominican sereno is now a guachimán, but a Mexican hedge trimmer operator in the US is a Wirero, even if the tool in use is not a Weed Eater (similar to when an American xerox-copies a document on a Cannon printer, then 'fed-exes' it via UPS).

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Getting back to the main topic of the thread- why don't Spanish-speaking people speak Spanish to the OP.

Lucifer, what are your thoughts?

-MP.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Getting back to the main topic of the thread- why don't Spanish-speaking people speak Spanish to the OP.

-MP.

Well I am not the devil but it's pretty clear, the better you speak proper spanish, with a correct grammar, subjunctive etc, etc the less it happens to one.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Well I am not the devil but it's pretty clear, the better you speak proper spanish, with a correct grammar, subjunctive etc, etc the less it happens to one.

It never happens to me in DR. I get the surprised look and Pero morena/negra de donde tu ere' " :paranoid:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

Yes, those are factors but ones that are not known up front. If someone says hola and continues in Spanish the linguistic courtesy is to continue in said language. It seems like that is not happening with the OP.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
It never happens to me in DR. I get the surprised look and Pero morena/negra de donde tu ere' " :paranoid:

It varies in the DR too even if you are morena or negra.

La verdad es que la gente no sabe pero sabe que no eres de la RD. Hay algo diferente pero te defiendes en castellano.  

-MP.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012

-MP.

I veered off a bit. My bad.

But back on topic.

Could it be that Dominicans want to show off? I've seen it.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I veered off a bit. My bad.

But back on topic.

Could it be that Dominicans want to show off? I've seen it.

Show off? I don't think so and that would only be if their Spanish is better than the OP's. In the tourist areas one may see this tendency but the average Dominican in the DR does not speak English in my opinion.  Instinct when it comes to language is an interesting concept and in a Spanish-speaking country they do look for that 'foreign' look.

-MP.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
This is a very interesting topic. I think Spanish speaking middle class in the USA are sometimes offended when spoken to in Spanish. The political climate and also the gringo speaking broken Spanish may appear condescending to a native speaker. Unfortunately, in the USA speaking another language is still not appealing.

I still think the best way for a non Spanish speaker to learn is to travel to a country hispanohablante but there is also a problem when the learner only picks up colloquial dialect. I recall a colleague learnt Spanish in the DR for a few months but picked up nothing but slang. Now, working with professional middle class Hispanics spouting " como tu ta, jevi, ya tu sabe'" will certainly shun native speakers from speaking in Spanish, especially among professional Dominicans who perceive this as a clowning of their culture and ethnicity.

Also just wanted to say that Martinicans and Guadeloupeans speak a distinguish creole although intelligible amongst each other as well as Haitians. Maryse Conde is definitely great French literature. I suggest reading "Segu" as it gives a perception of colonization and African tribalism.

p.s. Any suggestion of great contemporary Spanish literature as I haven't been in that sphere for a while.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks for confirming that they speak French because that is what I also knew. As well, the creole they speak is understood in all of the French-speaking Caribbean countries and also French Guiana. For example, Les Martiniquais speak the same creole from what I have been told and the islands are close to each other so it makes sense.

BTW- Just as a side have you ever read any literature written by Maryse Condé (Guadelopue) or Patrick Chamoiseau (Martiniquais)? Give them a try. I don’t think you will be disappointed. It’s great Afro French Caribbean literature.

-MP.

I had a small restaurant in Puerto Plata for a while 4 years ago. My cook was a Haitiana and many of our customers were Quibeckers Quebecois? I was surprised how well she could communicate with them in their version of French!
Der Fish

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
This is a very interesting topic. I think Spanish speaking middle class in the USA are sometimes offended when spoken to in Spanish. The political climate and also the gringo speaking broken Spanish may appear condescending to a native speaker. Unfortunately, in the USA speaking another language is still not appealing.

I still think the best way for a non Spanish speaker to learn is to travel to a country hispanohablante but there is also a problem when the learner only picks up colloquial dialect. I recall a colleague learnt Spanish in the DR for a few months but picked up nothing but slang. Now, working with professional middle class Hispanics spouting " como tu ta, jevi, ya tu sabe'" will certainly shun native speakers from speaking in Spanish, especially among professional Dominicans who perceive this as a clowning of their culture and ethnicity.

Also just wanted to say that Martinicans and Guadeloupeans speak a distinguish creole although intelligible amongst each other as well as Haitians. Maryse Conde is definitely great French literature. I suggest reading "Segu" as it gives a perception of colonization and African tribalism.

p.s. Any suggestion of great contemporary Spanish literature as I haven't been in that sphere for a while.

I am with you on this 100%. Every point you made is valid and especially about the mockery. That is exactly how well-spoken Spanish speakers perceive those who speak the lower grade Spanish to them and act like they have learned something. 

I can't recommend any contemporary Spanish literature at this time because I myself am behind in my reading for my standards but I continue to read books by authors I like for example Isabel Allende. A few months ago I read Pedro Juan Gutierrez' new release about Cuba after a long absence from writing. His work is always enlightening because he depicts Cuba in the raw form no rose-coloured glasses.

Thanks for the book recommendation. Maryse's literature is well respected. 

(no accents added)

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I had a small restaurant in Puerto Plata for a while 4 years ago. My cook was a Haitiana and many of our customers were Quibeckers Quebecois? I was surprised how well she could communicate with them in their version of French!
Quebec French is a variation of French just like Dominican Spanish is a variation of Spanish. At first it may be hard to understand if you are not used to it. However, if your ear is trained- pan comido. The cook can communicate because if she speaks French it's the same language! As well, she may have lived in Quebec for a few years.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

I also wanted to comment on your point about 'in the USA speaking another language is still not appealing.' Actually it's pathetic and especially when it comes to Spanish which is the official second language and globally the second most spoken language. The US' concept towards languages other than English is an embarrassment. Those in the US who are bilingual or do speak a second language have an advantage and should it see as a privilege although the perception globally when an American can speak a foreign language is total shock.

-MP.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Learning Spanish can be s frustrating lol...

Have you ever tried to speak to a Spanish speaking person and they just ignore you or answer you in English? I rather them ignore me that answer in English lol...

I thought I was the only one, but this interesting post here talking about the topic! Very interesting read... They don't do that in the DR tho lol...

https://www.grittyspanish.com/?p=22087

It is not that we ignore your question in Spanish.  If you speak to me in Spanish and you sound fluent and have clear, good pronunciation, I'll be happy to speak with you in Spanish, and so all my Latinos friends from all over Latin American.

If you're learning Spanish and you don't warn me that you are learning and you want to practice, I will automatically answer to you in English.  

My Latinos friends and I don't speak Spanish to Latinos born and raised here in the USA either.    We hate the sound that they make when they speak Spanish.  Sometimes we think they're having an asthma attack with all the:  ahhh, ohhh, ahhh sounds that they make when they can't find the word they want in Spanish.   They look like a Goldfish gasping for air.