Why is it Dominicans eat Bananas with la Bandera (Arroz, Habichuela, Carne)?

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
No thoughts. That's just another instance and a very Dominican way to deal with Avocados as part of a daily diet. I like Guacamole instead.

you can have the best of both worlds. I love guacamole. I also love a nice avocado with some olive oil and salt.

I am Dominican. What's your background? I rather have a piece of avocado than a banana with la bandera.

I can probably incorporate a piece of avocado into almost anything.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

I can probably incorporate a piece of avocado into almost anything.

e401b09208e77bf96ace90029cc4207a.jpg

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
It's pretty important to a lot of Dominicans, my mother and quite a few other relatives do not eat rice and beans without a guineo on the side, unless, of course, sweet plantains are already part of the meal.

I am Dominican too and, in my family we wouldn't mix rice and beans with a guineito. Now, rice is important. A lot of people don't feel they've had a proper lunch if they haven't had rice.

Sep 4, 2012
Not sure I understand the question. Did you see a dish called the la bandera?

I suppose:

blue = black beans,
white = rice
and red for meat.

could be fashioned into a dominican flag. Red Meat is available, but Plaintains and chicken is more the staple dish along side rice and beans. Guineos (sweet bananas) are less common.

As the british say, maybe somebody is being too clever by half.

Obviously you haven't been in the DR long enough?

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
I am Dominican too and, in my family we wouldn't mix rice and beans with a guineito. Now, rice is important. A lot of people don't feel they've had a proper lunch if they haven't had rice.

I'm not referring to 'guineitos' I'm referring to an actual banana. Agreed on the rice.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
I picked up this habit from my Dad, whenever I eat rice, beans and meat I peel a banana and set to the side of my food. I like a little sweetness added. I also am a hot sauce/spicy food freak which the sweetness makes it even better. In the DR though I cannot buy bananas and have them stay for at least a day. Wife and everyone that comes by eats 1 or 2 if I have them sitting out. Lol

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

Am talking yellow Bananas no green ones.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
a sweet starch to go with all else. If maduros are not available then go with the banana. Not to take you off topic but there is a similar thing with Dominicans who will eat avocado every day. Of course there has to be some sort of rice also. Many Dominicans will feel empty if they can't have a piece of avocado with their meal.

what's your thought on this?

It's called a balanced diet.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Well, chefs are a wierd lot. Some focus on good eats where as others think it's all about micro portions and squiggly marks on the plate. Maybe he was looking for the bright yellow to contrast something else on the plate. Or, maybe phallic objects and the DR just go together and may stimulate your subconscious to leave a bigger tip.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Well, chefs are a wierd lot. Some focus on good eats where as others think it's all about micro portions and squiggly marks on the plate. Maybe he was looking for the bright yellow to contrast something else on the plate. Or, maybe phallic objects and the DR just go together and may stimulate your subconscious to leave a bigger tip.

Chef??

Bandera is found across every Dominican household dinner table and so the Bananas with it, no Chef involved.