Why is it Dominicans eat Bananas with la Bandera (Arroz, Habichuela, Carne)?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'll keep my eye open for it, but 3 years and counting here....

Agreed. Slight exaggeration again.  Since 1975, eating in more Dominican homes than I can count, I only know one person who eats boiled bananas occasionally.  Certainly not daily.  

Dov1984

Sep 18, 2016
Arroz, Habichuela, Carne is the typical bandera plate in DR, most add Bananas to it; why?
I was always told it was because they are readily available, cheap and help fill you up plus adding a little sweetness to a meal. I have been to Colombia and Peru many times, it (plantians) are pretty much a staple in home cooked meals

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was always told it was because they are readily available, cheap and help fill you up plus adding a little sweetness to a meal. I have been to Colombia and Peru many times, it (plantians) are pretty much a staple in home cooked meals

Plantains, yes.  Bananas, not so much.  

I could eat maduros daily.  

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Plantains, yes.  Bananas, not so much.  

I could eat maduros daily.  

How do you cook the maduros? I have an aversion to sweet foods, and I can't figure what to do with them except to offer them up to the neighbors.

Green Plaintains and bananas are a staple in my house. boiled. testones. mango. at 5 pesos a pop, they are a cheap staple for the poor. Alone, bland, but if you mix it with chilie/garlic sauce (imported in my bag), onions, and ajo. wonderful.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
How do you cook the maduros? I have an aversion to sweet foods, and I can't figure what to do with them except to offer them up to the neighbors.

Green Plaintains and bananas are a staple in my house. boiled. testones. mango. at 5 pesos a pop, they are a cheap staple for the poor. Alone, bland, but if you mix it with chilie/garlic sauce (imported in my bag), onions, and ajo. wonderful.

The fastest way is to slice them vertically and fry them, they cook quickly and are delicious.  Sometimes we put them whole on a piece of aluminum foil and bake them in oven or on bbq. Some people add a little brown sugar sprinkled on top before baking.  I do usually spray the foil with Pam or similar to prevent sticking.  

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The fastest way is to slice them vertically and fry them, they cook quickly and are delicious.  Sometimes we put them whole on a piece of aluminum foil and bake them in oven or on bbq. Some people add a little brown sugar sprinkled on top before baking.  I do usually spray the foil with Pam or similar to prevent sticking.  

Delicious is a word I never use to describe anything made with green plantains or green bananas.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I meant to say Plantains I think Jason might be getting them mixed up or did I miss something???

No, nothing is mixed up. I'm talking about ripe Bananas something totally different than green Plantains or green Bananas or maduros.

Boiled Bananas, who mentioned it?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
you can have the best of both worlds. I love guacamole. I also love a nice avocado with some olive oil and salt.

I am Dominican. What's your background? I rather have a piece of avocado than a banana with la bandera.

I can probably incorporate a piece of avocado into almost anything.

Try a little mayo on your avocado next time. One of my lifetime favorites.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The secret is to eat them when they are not green.  Have you ever tasted a pastelon made with maduros?  

That is a different thing altogether. Yes, I eat ripe bananas almost daily and I occasionally eat platano maduro in a pastelon.

I refer to green plantains and bananas which are as tasty as grass. I cannot imagine the first person that ever tried one and said "hey this is good" and recommended it to someone else.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Add two slices of bread. One slice of tomato. One slice of onion. Wash down with an ice cold Presidente.
Lunch of Champions.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002

I will have to try that and let you know what I think.

never thought of adding mayo to an avocado before.

Dov1984

Sep 18, 2016
I slice them at an angle not too thin , then melt down some butter, brown sugar & dark rum or spiced rum then slowly cooked the plantains in that. I add some red chili flakes or cayenne pepper if I want it spicy & sweet

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

JD, Hellmans now makes avocado mayo, maybe coming to a store near you this decade.  I haven’t tried it, probably avocado oil only, but still, it sounds interesting..........

I was overjoyed the first time I saw Hellmanns mayo at La Sirena.  It’s the little things sometimes, lol! 

PS, yup, just the oil

7215FEB1-5E9F-4F41-ADDF-3F1AC4A83AE5.jpg

Waitman

DR1
Dec 12, 2016
waitman.net
In the USA there is pretty much just one banana, the soft yellow one. I did not realize there are like 100 kinds of bananas until I visited to Rio de Janeiro. If you are not used to a humid climate, you may experience muscle cramps - eating a couple bananas will make these go away. They have a good amount of potassium. (you could also drink a gatorade i suppose).

I read somewhere that there is a disease attacking the "USA" banana variety and it's not possible to stop the attack, one day soon there will be no more of bananas of that variety.

Avocados in North America (mexico, usa for sure and probably canada) are horrible compared to DR. Here's a photo showing the difference. I recently read an article that some company developed a chemical spray to extend the lifetime of the North American avocados by about 5 days. However, I believe they will still pretty much only be useful for whackamole.

avoc.jpg

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
We could probably have a whole thread on Avocados. I love em and eat them regularly.

Give me a plate of yellow rice and beans with chicken and Avocado with mayo and I'm in heaven.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We could probably have a whole thread on Avocados. I love em and eat them regularly.

Give me a plate of yellow rice and beans with chicken and Avocado with mayo and I'm in heaven.

Our avocados are growing nicely.  Here’s a pic from last week.  If you’re out that way when they’re ready, bring a bag. Should be soon.  Ask across the street for Jillo and he’ll let you in.  

F3500D27-6686-49A2-8041-414A8F4B3231.jpeg

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Our avocados are growing nicely.  Here’s a pic from last week.  If you’re out that way when they’re ready, bring a bag. Should be soon.  Ask across the street for Jillo and he’ll let you in.  

View attachment 2903

Man, look at those babies. Why not sell them to supermarkets? I used to sell mine to the neighbors and the resold them that way.