Why is it Dominicans eat Bananas with la Bandera (Arroz, Habichuela, Carne)?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
This is a great topic ! It reminds me how happy I am I don’t have to ‘enjoy’ Dominican food anymore!! 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Man, look at those babies. Why not sell them to supermarkets? I used to sell mine to the neighbors and the resold them that way.

Maybe if we were there, Mr AE prefers to give them away.  Plus we’re sure the neighbors sneak over and help themselves. We have about 50 avocado trees.  Please help yourself.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In the USA there is pretty much just one banana, the soft yellow one. I did not realize there are like 100 kinds of bananas until I visited to Rio de Janeiro. If you are not used to a humid climate, you may experience muscle cramps - eating a couple bananas will make these go away. They have a good amount of potassium. (you could also drink a gatorade i suppose).

I read somewhere that there is a disease attacking the "USA" banana variety and it's not possible to stop the attack, one day soon there will be no more of bananas of that variety.

Avocados in North America (mexico, usa for sure and probably canada) are horrible compared to DR. Here's a photo showing the difference. I recently read an article that some company developed a chemical spray to extend the lifetime of the North American avocados by about 5 days. However, I believe they will still pretty much only be useful for whackamole.

View attachment 2902
The problem is a lack of genetic diversity in the yellow banana. They mention this at some point in this video.

[video=youtube;M5Qly-VQfbo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Qly-VQfbo[/video]

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Our avocados are growing nicely.  Here’s a pic from last week.  If you’re out that way when they’re ready, bring a bag. Should be soon.  Ask across the street for Jillo and he’ll let you in.  

View attachment 2903

what is the correct name for that type of avocado? they are huge. I love it.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
The fastest way is to slice them vertically and fry them, they cook quickly and are delicious.  Sometimes we put them whole on a piece of aluminum foil and bake them in oven or on bbq. Some people add a little brown sugar sprinkled on top before baking.  I do usually spray the foil with Pam or similar to prevent sticking.  

That is how I like to make maduros; in the oven with a pat of butter in the aluminum foil.

nekokatt

Feb 25, 2012
I know what it is (thanks to DR1's culture section) but other than Mangu (a great international version is at YAO Japanese in DN), have not found La Bandera. (due to safety and health concerns, only eat at Malls, Super Mercado Nacional, or first class restaurants. Locals probably cant afford RD 500+ meals. The taxes add 28% to the total !!!)

Any good restaurant recommendation? Adrian Tropical is Dominican but its not on the menu.

Feb 7, 2007
Arroz, Habichuela, Carne is the typical bandera plate in DR, most add Bananas to it; why?

You mean fried plaintains (fritos)? Colombians also add fried plantains to their rice/meat dish (Bandeja Paisa) but they call them Patacones instead of Fritos.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
(due to safety and health concerns, only eat at Malls, Super Mercado Nacional, or first class restaurants. Locals probably cant afford RD 500+ meals. The taxes add 28% to the total !!!)

What an incredibly first-world snob statement to make. World-renowned chefs like the late Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern have enjoyed Dominican cuisine from street food to first class restaurants and nothing happened to them. And FYI, most locals eat home-cooked meals with fresh ingredients that are often far superior than all those type of eateries you have mentioned. A great meal doesn't have to cost $500+ pesos.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
What an incredibly first-world snob statement to make. World-renowned chefs like the late Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern have enjoyed Dominican cuisine from street food to first class restaurants and nothing happened to them. And FYI, most locals eat home-cooked meals with fresh ingredients that are often far superior than all those type of eateries you have mentioned. A great meal doesn't have to cost $500+ pesos.

I eat daily meals at any one of various local restaurants where a plate of food can run between 100 and 150 pesos, so yeah, kind of snobby.

Having said that, I don't eat at any "side of the road food stand with meat hanging on a rack' places.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I eat daily meals at any one of various local restaurants where a plate of food can run between 100 and 150 pesos, so yeah, kind of snobby.

Having said that, I don't eat at any "side of the road food stand with meat hanging on a rack' places.

You never stop for chiccharones on Duarte Hwy or on the highway from SD to SC?

I swear to God that they call our names. We usually stop and I usually end up spending extra time near the bathroom. Leo’s ironclad stomach never rebels.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I swear to God that they call our names. We usually stop and I usually end up spending extra time near the bathroom. Leo’s ironclad stomach never rebels.

I used to. Not any more. I get my chicharrones at Jumbo.. lol

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004

I think your statement about staying close to the bathrooms backs up JD's reason!!:ermm:

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017

Have you guys tried La Esquina del Chicharrón? They have a few locations in the capital, I went to the one in Alma Rosa....it’s deliciously amazing, I guess you can consider them a little bit more upscale since they are located in the nicer residential areas, but their chicharron is bar none and their locations are smalland simple so it doesnt feel pretentious; they also make pasteles en hoja and mofongo. Go on their Instagram account and your mouth will water lol

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Have you guys tried La Esquina del Chicharrón? They have a few locations in the capital, I went to the one in Alma Rosa....it’s deliciously amazing, I guess you can consider them a little bit more upscale since they are located in the nicer residential areas, but their chicharron is bar none and their locations are smalland simple so it doesnt feel pretentious; they also make pasteles en hoja and mofongo. Go on their Instagram account and your mouth will water lol

Never heard of them, but will check them out! Thanks

Sep 4, 2012

Best chicaron in SDQ is located in Anacaona right behing Mirador Sur Park.