Why is the HIV rate in Jamaca reported as 1/2 of Dominican Republic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
jerryme said:
I think they get too stoned and forget which hole to stick it in

That's a "hole different" outlook on the topic. Or should I say "different hole" outlook.
What the hell am I talking about?

Larry

charlieblaze

Jul 7, 2004
Basically, if one country has a larger population than another, then naturally it's going to have a higher number of HIV infected people. A part of the DR's rate has to do with Haiti, since it is really infected. That is not to say that all Haitians have HIV, just that when a large infected number of people are that close to another country, it's likely to spread. From what I know, child prostitution and sex tourism also plays a large role in spreading HIV in the DR.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
charlieblaze, that was the most appologetic, it's not our fault excuse I have ever...

Heard.

charlieblaze said:
Basically, if one country has a larger population than another, then naturally it's going to have a higher number of HIV infected people. A part of the DR's rate has to do with Haiti, since it is really infected. That is not to say that all Haitians have HIV, just that when a large infected number of people are that close to another country, it's likely to spread. From what I know, child prostitution and sex tourism also plays a large role in spreading HIV in the DR.

Oh, so you have heard that prostitution has something to do with it, good watson. Yes the Haitians have it and we don't , but a little rubs off on us :confused: boy, I found the problem and it is you. :cross-eye .

Please go back to your math books and read about percentage. My question was about percentage, that means it has nothing to do with total population.

The DR due to it's economic status and other reasons, has a thriving business in prostitution for forigners and locals. If you think this has just "rubbed" of on the DR, your dead wrong. THe real question is, given the nature of the DR what can be done to change things. Now from what I have read, it sounded like Santa Domingo was turning around. But the news has a tendency to put a good light on things, if they only report Santa Domingo is getting better, then there is a good chance that there might be a lose of ground in the other parts of the country, becuase believe me, if it was good news, they'd report it.

-Lee

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I had to say something about this. Maybe it makes sense, maybe it doesn't. So Haitians count in the HIV studies, but are not counted as citizens? Sounds like BS to me.

I do not believe many of these statistics anyway, as they are generally not accurate.

From plenty of posts on this board, I've read that there are several, if not many, Dominican male resort workers who frequent the same sex as much as the other sex. Could it not be possible that these activities contribute? Or the many homosexuals there? I have not seen any major drug use (i.e. needle users and sharers) in my travels, but I'm sure they exist.

Jamaica does not have the population that DR has, so of course they will have less cases. Kingston, their version of Santo Domingo, is drug, violence & corruption riddled. The murder rates are ridiculous there, but it is not nearly as bad on the rest of the island. There is sex tourism there, but the sheer volume of the available sexy women in Jamaica very much pales in comparison to DR. Much more sex occurs betweens tourists.

Please stop laying the blame of everything negative at the feet of the Haitians. Dominicans do have sex as well. Where you think all these young single mothers get their babies from? It damn sure ain't from tourists. Please stop being so obviously biased, and just use perspective.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
simpson Homer said:
What is the Red Cross doing ?

What is defensa civil doing to face the situation ?

What is doing the minister of Public Health for that ?
Typical Dominican Answer. Blame somebody else!
How about this question? When are Dominican Men going to stop sticking it up each others butt and then come home and give it to their women?
simpson Homer said:
SEXUAL EDUCATION IS WHAT THE DOMINICAN REP. NEEDS.
Is there really any adult in the D.R. that doesn't know about AIDS? JeeZ!

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
i hope it is alright to dredge up this aging thread, but the editiorial i read today reminded me of it. there seemed to be some question about the validity of statistics in addition to the value of education in HIV/AIDS prevention.

...Those who do contact HIV are required to attend an eight-week education and drug support program in a sanatorium.

Last year, Dr. Byron Barksdale, the director of the American charity, Cuban AIDS Project, was quoted as saying: "I don't know if six weeks or eight weeks are the magic numbers, but that is certainly a longer time than is given to people in the U.S. who receive such a diagnosis. They may get five minutes' worth of education...."

for the complete article:
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...519&call_pageid=968256290204&col=968350116795

mob

caribegal

Aug 20, 2004
Dolores said:
Population has to do because 3 million population is more manageable than 9 million in DR and another 7 million in Haiti. Remember reading/seeing TV program that Cuba chose to totally isolate those infected with AIDS/HIV from the start. This was possible in a totalitarian regime.

Yes, the isolation proved to be very effective, then the numbers grew so large of those infected that Castro abondoned the project and declared Cuba to be AIDS free! I lived there during this time - more propoganda! No statistics from Cuba can be believed!

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
Isolation is probably the only logical answer to the aids epidemic, however, i propose this

since Dr is a small country and is still poor , the goverment can get away with this . first, secretly , test anybody for hiv/aids who are applying to work in the goverment , manufactoring, agricultural , and other government controled areas of labor and snatch up the ones who come up positive , this is to be done to foriegners and natives alike .second , they would do this in hospitals ,jails, schools . however , the government can not let anybody know . this then snatch up at least 50% of the poeple who have ( from what i have read most of the cases of aids in the DR are due to haitians that live and work in the bateys and according to the people who make these figures they are considred to be dominican aids people) so , its not as wide spread as u think .however , DR has a grave prostitution problem that must solved .becuase that also is a big factor in it as well , so to that we just snatch up the prostitutes and isolate them with the other aids people and quarintine them and wait till they die

I know its sounds inhumane , but if not done now , it will be done in the future becuase it will be the only solution , but the number of people in it will be in the millions not the thousands

atienoor

Mar 8, 2004
Hiv/aids Awareness

Having lived and worked in the area of HIV/AIDS in Eastern Southern AFrica, one thing that strikes me the most about the DR is the lack of messages on HIV/AIDS. They are all over the place in Jamaica, and elsewhere where people recognize it as a problem but not here. granted the prevalence rate is low compared to places like Bostwana where its almost 40%, you would think that this country would want to ensure that it stays low! Awareness campaigns by politicians, at work, at home, openly without assigning blame can reduce or even reverse HIV prevalance as is the case in Uganda. I do not see or hear that here. And young Dominicans are having sex...........presumably not with Haitains..........and

The myth that HIV/AIDs is brought to this country by Haitians will be the undoing of this country. According to UNICEF, the estimated HIV prevalence by specific population in 2003 was as follows: men who have sex with men 15 percent, sex workers 8 percent, while incidence in tourist areas and amongst people living in Bateyes ranged from 5 percent to 12 percent. Heterosexual transmission is the most dominant form of transmission at 75 percent followed by bisexual 7.6 percent. The HIV occurrence rate among pregnant women ranges by geographic area between 1.1 percent to 5 percent, the highest being in tourist areas. Where there is sex tourism, HIV prevalence is often high.

ALso from reading studies and talking to public health workers, teenagers here engage in sex without any protection at an early age sometimes with the knowledge of their parents . An example is a young dominican now living in Miami who got ill 3 years after his father took him to have sex with an older woman on his 15th (cannot remember exactly) birthday. The boy never had sex after that but got ill at 18 and his counsellor traced his infection back to that incidence.

HIV/AIDS is not a disease that targets a particular class of people. It gets everyone who is not well informed to make the right choice e.g using condoms or sticking to one partner and that does not mean one partner for as long as you are dating. It means minimising the number of partners you have in a lifetime.

AIDS is too serious a disease to blame on Haitians and do nothing about it. There is a clinic that provides antiretroviral treatment in Santo Domingo and trust me 99 percent of the patients are not Haitians. The rich whose kids get infected ship them off to the US!

Who cares what the prevalence is in Jamaica? Wake up and start talking to everyone you know about it, if not, you are going to go down the same road as Guyana, Haitia and sub-saharan AFrica.

NB:HIV/AIDS is a reality in the DR, no its not, its only amongst the Haitians, lets bury our head in the sand!HIV/AIDS is a reality in the DR, no its not, ...the Haitians...........GET UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE! :cross-eye

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Just for your information . . . .

There are a number of posters here that believe . . . . .

1) The probability of a man getting AIDs from a woman is non-existant or some number like 1000 - 1.

2) That AIDs is some kind of Corporate industy that makes money off scareing people and that the real leavel of the so called "epidemic" is minor.

and then there are the women who . . . . .

3) Would rather have there man go to be with a prostitute than have them have a meaningfull relationship on the side (now that! would be intolerable).

Please express your opinion on these statements before you continue otherwise people will turn a deaf ear to you.

-Lee

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
ltsnyder said:
2) That AIDs is some kind of Corporate industy that makes money off scareing people and that the real leavel of the so called "epidemic" is minor.

Specifically that HIV/AIDS rates in Africa are inflated - the theory being most 'sufferers' have traditional poverty related diseases such as TB, that are reported as AIDS because it is easier to attract funding.

Interesting premise, but as someone who has worked in Africa you must know how far off it is, and if it were to be taken seriously how much damage it would do.

But just to show you what we are up against, read threads like this one from about a year ago:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27514&page=1&pp=15

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Missing Source

atienoor said:
According to UNICEF, the estimated HIV prevalence by specific population in 2003 was as follows: men who have sex with men 15 percent, sex workers 8 percent, while incidence in tourist areas and amongst people living in Bateyes ranged from 5 percent to 12 percent. Heterosexual transmission is the most dominant form of transmission at 75 percent followed by bisexual 7.6 percent. The HIV occurrence rate among pregnant women ranges by geographic area between 1.1 percent to 5 percent, the highest being in tourist areas. [/B] Where there is sex tourism, HIV prevalence is often high.

Where can I find this report?

m'frog

atienoor

Mar 8, 2004

mountainfrog said:
Where can I find this report?

m'frog

The report am quoting is an internal DR UNICEF 2003 Annual report. However, the public version should be out in a month or so. I will be happy to get a copy to you. Its in English and will be translated into spanish.

Last edited:

atienoor

Mar 8, 2004
ltsnyder-The probabilty of a woman getting HIV from a man are higher for the following reasons: women often do not have a voice when it comes to condom use, there are more female commercial sex workers than male, more women are raped than men, and because of her physical makeup, women tend to bruise during intercourse much more than men hence giving leeway to the virus to enter the body.These factors do not reduce the chance of a man getting infected during sex with a woman.

Yeah, I have heard that corporate BS before.You can easily say that if you have not been affected.When you bury a workmate, friend, family or a friend's friend every week or every other week or know someone who is suffering from AIDS or who knows someone who is, then you cannot say that the prevalence is exaggerated.The origin of the virus is still in question, depends on whom you talk to but the disease is here and now and those you carry it look so healthy......

Extramarital affairs is killing many faithful spouses. For me, a spouse who strays regardless of with whom (be it the queen of England) is a potential HIV carrier. The prostitute I feel is often more savvy about her business and is more likely to use a condom than a supposedly 'clean' concubine. Who knows who the concubine has been with and if he can go with either, who know where he has been. with that kind of thinking, the HIV prevalence may be higher than the tourist areas and the bateyes!

atienoor

Mar 8, 2004
Chiri,

Now you had to go and stir a hornets nest! In the past year or so, HIV experts have come out openly to question the figures coming from AFrica.The way I see it, because of the poor infrastructure and quality of health care in AFrica, diagnosing HIV/AIDS is a very complicated issue. In the absence of proper testing kits in remote areas, sometimes doctors diagnose by "assumption', the presenting symptoms of HIV/AIDS whioch can be similar to chronic malaria, typhoid, TB, meningitis etc etc. But that said, HIV prevalence in sub-saharan AFrica is quite high.....and I should know......

Lately, there has been much talk about discordant couples i.e spouses who have been having unprotected sex for years while one of the partners was positive. The "assumption' would be that the partner is positive. Not quite the case. Go and google, see what you come up with!

Like any other public health issue, HIV is very complicated and the more it sticks around, the more people are learning about it. Meanwhile, it would be nice to use those condoms if you choose to have sex, encourage young people to abstain and if they cannot-make sure they have info to make the right choice and most of all, minimize the number of sex partners in your life time. Them condoms do not offer 100 percent protection but hey, thats all we have got.

As for the ladies, get a job, and if he starts messing around, kick him out and if you cannot, run run run or get a silicon underwear with a similar padlock!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"More Women Are Raped Than Men" I never saw that used as a "statistic"

in the reasons why HIV/AIDS is spread before!
Kind of shows what YOUR agenda is about now doesn't it?? Cris Colon
No,you aarent biased,you just get your paycheck from an "aids" pandering NGO!

atienoor

Mar 8, 2004
Yeah rape, silly as it may sound!

Cris, I hope that was a joke! Just so that you know, am not working for a HIV/AIDS NGO! My arguements so far have been my opinions only citing reports where I wanted to give my arguement statistical support.Rape vis a vis HIV/AIDS may not be an issue for you but where I come from it is.

I will give you an example that has hit the headlines many times. In southern AFrica, many men have raped minors (and am talking infants here) with the belief that it will rid them of their HIV status. I once accompanied journalists to visit a family in south africa where their 7 month old baby had fallen victim to this madnes. Both parents were HIV negative.Secondly, women back home still do not have the empowerment that education and money brings. They cannot in essence negotiate safe sex. Hence it means that whether the sex is by consent or not, it often is unprotected unless the man chooses to use a condom!And am not saying it is all a ma's fault. You just focused on one of the reasons amongst the many that I gave.

So before you bash me for being some ONG advocate, you tell me to forget my best friend who died this time last year after battling the virus she got from some pervert who raped her on her way home from a night class from campus.I do not have to wait for UN reports or media reports to see it. I just have to nurse my brother till he dies, then wait for my sister inlaw and wonder who will go first, she or her kid. May not mean anything to you because it is not so bad in this part of the world.

I have something to say about those who inflate HIV figures to make money, but unlike you, AIDS still stares me in the face even though am thousands of miles away from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.