You Guys Have Really Scared me about Crime in DR, PLEASE help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
He's an Elvis look alike or maybe wants to be. Don't know what work he does or where he gets his money from, have never asked him since it's not any of my biz.
He's a grey haired businessman freak from Calgary, according to a girl that served him in Calgary, as a regular, also in Sosua.

It's weird that everyone laughs there asses off at him, but he seems not to get it. Living his fantasy I guess.

A sunny place for shady people.

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
He told me once that he had been best friends with George Best, but he is the wrong generation! He seemed to think I should know who he is, other than an Elvis look-alike, but I rarely know who anyone famous is anyway, so it was wasted on me. I am just not interested! He is apparently originally from Ireland. His accent could be affected, but he certainly has the Irish blarney. I am told he made his money in Canada.... People can be whoever they want to be here. Few people, other than me, will check up and many are living a fantasy. He's probably harmless. He was supporting a very beautiful young woman [she told me] and her kids... That can't be bad for the economy or the children. Live and let live!

Last edited:

Isobel

Jul 21, 2011
I have had some bad things happen to me over the years, but if you follow sensible safety precautions, I really don't think it is any worse here than in most of the cities in the world. There are things it is not wise to do, but if you did them in your own country, you would probably also be laying yourself open. Here, because most of the locals are so nice, we seem to allow ourselves to be lulled into a false sense of thinking we are invulnerable. If bad things do happen, learn from them, get over them and get on with your life. I have never regretted living here or been tempted to leave when something went wrong. On the other hand, I don't wander around alone in remote places either!

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
The fear mongers got to you, did they? Bunch of ****. I was talking to a lady our age, you mentioned retirement, here in Bath Maine the other day and she is afraid to walk down the streen because the Bath Iron Works has non whites working now. SOmething in her words that they were forced to do by the liberals. So with black people and Mezkins here in town it isn't safe for a 67 year old white woman any more. Just ignore the crazies and come and enjoy. I was pick pocketed by the same ho in Jaco last January, but it wasn't after midnite.
WOW!!! So people do live in Maine. You are the first person I ever heard of stepping foot in Maine. The town is called " BATH" where you live? I would have NEVER guessed it was crime in Maine. Are there MOOSE in Maine?

Yumnuk

Jun 27, 2009
After coming across this wonderful site I read completely, every post, the thread about tips to avoid danger/crime in the DR. Practically every hope and dream I had established of finding my long sought after retirement, surf paradise was shattered. I even had nightmares of a shootout last night.
I am well travelled in 3rd world locales such a Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Nicaragua, Mexico etc but none of them were as bad as is described here about DR. In Costa Rica I was pickpocketed in Jaco but.... at the time I was allowing prostitutes to approach me after midnight...THAT I understand. Definitely understand that if I hang out where I shouldnt be and do what I should not be doing the risks are high...but everyday life?

Not being able to drive my car to the beach to surf in a remote area without fear of robbery or machete attack? WOW! To be assaulted while "reading a map on the street", "stopped at a red light" or have to have razor wire, attack dogs, bars, walls, gates, guns, pepper spray, baseball bats, killer hedges, anti dog poison medicine...well that is ridiculous sounding. To have to fear of assault, robbery, pickpocket, scams, roadblocks and other unscruplicity would ruin my "dream life" To get right to the point:

1.Can I expect this type of "stuff" everywhere in the DR. Is it more concentrated in the big cities and pure tourist towns?
2. Would areas such as Las Terrenas, Cabrera, Gallera, The Samana Peninsula area have a more peaceful and safe setting?
3. What areas along Northern coast are not yet over run with development and bad guys? Be specific.
4. What areas can I still get a near or on beach home at somewhat of a better price than other more developed region. I want to be able to surf almost daily so near the beach and surfbreaks is a prerequisite.
I am coming in October for my exploratory trip and would love some friends to get acquainted with prior to arrival.
Now more than ever, it's important to carefully choose the company you keep. They will greatly influence how you feel about DR. A lot of people seem constantly perplexed that everyone they meet in DR from sanky infested town just happens to turn out to be a bad friend, a bad colleague, a bad lover, never realizing that they themselves are the common denominator in their experiences, and that the problem lies in their own poor judgment of character. As the old saying goes, "You reveal your character not only by the company you keep. But also by the company you avoid.?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It's weird that everyone laughs there asses off at him, but he seems not to get it. Living his fantasy I guess.

I think the people don't get it, he doesn't give a toss. And certainly not the only guy living out a fantasy in Sosua.
I've shared a pizza and beers with the guy and he's alright, just a guy working hard with no ties, living the life on a good salary and freedom to be where he pleases and doing as he wants.
I'm kind of jealous, life certainly was more fun when I was in his shoes.

potatohead

May 10, 2012
Hi Jeff, I'm a newbie like you and was considering a trip to DR. I also read thru the posts and determined that DR was one dangerous place. My old thre ad is on here someplace and I got the same consolations that you are getting......like: "Yes I was attacked by a guy with a knife during the day in a crowded park, but it was a one time thing." "Yeah my buddy was shot a couple times but he was in a bad place at night." "No worse than other places"...........that's pure BS. In other places I don't get attacked by guys with machetes because i want to explore some out of the way beaches! There are many places in the world where the population doesn't spend all their time trying to steal your money. Anyway, good luck, I decided to go elsewhere this winter....................PH

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Expect the Unexpected

"Expect the Unexpected"

The places you would least likely expect to be robbed.

That's 2 McDonald's Apple Pies for $100 pesos ($2.56 U.S) on "Special"

Only $1.00 U.S. in the States.

52id1t.jpg

All kidding aside, always expect the unexpected

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Hi Jeff, I'm a newbie like you and was considering a trip to DR. I also read thru the posts and determined that DR was one dangerous place. My old thre ad is on here someplace and I got the same consolations that you are getting......like: "Yes I was attacked by a guy with a knife during the day in a crowded park, but it was a one time thing." "Yeah my buddy was shot a couple times but he was in a bad place at night." "No worse than other places"...........that's pure BS. In other places I don't get attacked by guys with machetes because i want to explore some out of the way beaches! There are many places in the world where the population doesn't spend all their time trying to steal your money. Anyway, good luck, I decided to go elsewhere this winter....................PH

Women and children in the DR are safer for your decision.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
dv8 must have checked out the OP's link to his facebook page. The man is absolutely georgous with a capital G. I would invite him for a beer and teach him how to be safe anyday. He will do fine as a surfer in the DR!
All that the the OP wrote in his frist post about his fears is what he read here on DR1. All of those dangerous things and happened and much more in the DR. I suggest he does a search and reads the old thread about tips on how to be safer in the DR. I haven't read it lately but there are some goods tips. Things have changed over the years since I lived there but I am sure the thread will have some updates.
It makes me laugh when the same people writing about the dangers on DR1 get pis*es when someone says it scares them. The same posters then get all defensive and ......................... You can't have it both ways people. It IS dangerous in places and it IS safe in places.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
well bob I guess you are the resident expert on what is dangerous for children in DR. Your a member of that pedophile site ISOC, aren't you?

From your past posts you are perfectly suited to join the pay for play scene anywhere in the world. No need for you to hang out in a dangerous place like the DR. I'll be living in Jarabacoa in August and have no worrys about personal danger. It's out there but with the same precautions taken in any second world country it's safe, safer than Mexico , Honduras, .....etc. I'm married to a wonderful Dominicana- no need for any other diversions.
There are many Dominicans that will steer you away from danger - if you listen.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Hello Jeff! Crime in the DR has indeed increased a lot but it still is not worse than in other places. You can get robbed, mugged, scammed, etc , anywhere in the world.
I once had my bag stolen at a Sequoia park in California. I lost my credit cards, all my money, driver's license, cell phone,etc. Our hosts and a lot of people in the park that afternoon had their car window smashed and were robbed too.
The only thing I have been robbed here in the DR is my cell phone so I don't walk down the street talking on a cell phone anymore, even though you can see a lot of people these days walking down the street, chatting on their blackberries, this is something I don't do myself.

Wherever you go you just have to be cautious! By the way, I wouldn't go to a a secluded area, alone, anywhere, especially in a foreign country.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

Please don't tell me you let a bunch of user names on a website DICTATE where you spend your winter. There are many posters on this board that are BORING. 99.9% of people say I NEVER or RARELY go out at night because they are scared of living and having fun. Let me give you a glimpse of what a lot of people do in the DR:

1.Go to Jumbo, La Sirena or Plaza Lama DAILY, just because they have NOTHING ELSE TO DO!!!

2. Talk to neighbors about ABSOLUTE NOTHING invite neighbors over for coffee, and more talk about NOTHING.

3. Take a NAP after lunch.

4. Drink beer at night with neighbors( and you guess it MORE BS TALK WITH NEIGBORS ABOUT NOTHING) wait some may talk about what is on sale at La Sirena, and what they bought.

5. At the end of the night some PRAY that tomorrow brings a little EXCITEMENT.

The Danger in the DR is not the crime you can get robbed or murder at Disneyland if someone wanted you dead. The danger in the DR comes from BOREDOM!!!. I was MURDERED in the DR of BOREDOM, and I thought boredom was a state of mind boy was I wrong. The Danger is Oct 12 2012 will be JUST LIKE June 8 2018 and if this is not DANGER I do not know what is. EVERYDAY is the EXACT SAME.

The crime is NOT an issue in DR for a tourist. I live in a VERY VERY VERY dangerous city, but it is not dangerous for tourist.

Status
Not open for further replies.