You Guys Have Really Scared me about Crime in DR, PLEASE help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffedmonds42

Jul 15, 2012
www.facebook.com
dv8 must have checked out the OP's link to his facebook page. The man is absolutely georgous with a capital G. I would invite him for a beer and teach him how to be safe anyday. He will do fine as a surfer in the DR!
All that the the OP wrote in his frist post about his fears is what he read here on DR1. All of those dangerous things and happened and much more in the DR. I suggest he does a search and reads the old thread about tips on how to be safer in the DR. I haven't read it lately but there are some goods tips. Things have changed over the years since I lived there but I am sure the thread will have some updates.
It makes me laugh when the same people writing about the dangers on DR1 get pis*es when someone says it scares them. The same posters then get all defensive and ......................... You can't have it both ways people. It IS dangerous in places and it IS safe in places.

What is an OP please, (Ocean Pacific???) Dulce thanks for your gracious compliment

jeffedmonds42

Jul 15, 2012
www.facebook.com
I have had such a nice read watching you guys banter with each other, what a fun crowd.:laugh: I really hope to meet with some of you when I arrive. Is DR like PR on steroids? Cause the driving in PR is pretty outrageous. probably a dumb question because at least PR has an underlying legal system that is similar to 1st world locales. Frankly I cant wait to get down there and enjoy myself. At first I was just going to stay at a Hotel in cabarete but considering just renting a small villa for a week. By the way things are going to hell in a handbasket here in the states. We are being taxed to death, and it is going to get worse. RE values are stuck, my 401K stiull havent recovered from 2008 and there are murders in Dallas everyday. Possibly snorting coke and chasing putas/os puts one in a position to be around the types we speak of, knowing also crime can be quite random. Anyway I am rambling, will try and get in shape for a good surf and a few beers when I arrive. thanks to all who posted. I will PM the ones that were nice...ha ha ha :smoke:

Softail

Nov 15, 2011
He told me once that he had been best friends with George Best....He is apparently originally from Ireland. His accent could be affected, but he certainly has the Irish blarney. I am told he made his money in Canada....He was supporting a very beautiful young woman [she told me] and her kids... That can't be bad for the economy or the children. Live and let live!

He sounds like either was a friend of George....or devoutly subscribes to George's lifestyle.

I'm sure many of you have heard one of George's best quotes "I blew most of my money on women, booze, and drugs...and the rest I wasted".

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i vacation here and had so much fun i dont care about the scare tactics every body type i met so many people in little time. i meet a nba player for the pacers from africa and hotel owners who told me stories of things that happen but they dont care. dr is the safest place i seen and im always in the bad bad areas.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Wow,you must affiliate yourself with a lot of boring Dominicans.There's plenty to do,you just got to go out there and do it.It all depends on your lifestyle.When I was there back in April,I did something different everyday.If I was living and working there,what I did everyday,I would've done on the weekend.Now don't tell me you do something different everyday in Chicago.I mean,driving that caddy and window shopping for watches has to get boring...:p...Just kidding,a lil' jab with love...

Please don't tell me you let a bunch of user names on a website DICTATE where you spend your winter. There are many posters on this board that are BORING. 99.9% of people say I NEVER or RARELY go out at night because they are scared of living and having fun. Let me give you a glimpse of what a lot of people do in the DR:

1.Go to Jumbo, La Sirena or Plaza Lama DAILY, just because they have NOTHING ELSE TO DO!!!

2. Talk to neighbors about ABSOLUTE NOTHING invite neighbors over for coffee, and more talk about NOTHING.

3. Take a NAP after lunch.

4. Drink beer at night with neighbors( and you guess it MORE BS TALK WITH NEIGBORS ABOUT NOTHING) wait some may talk about what is on sale at La Sirena, and what they bought.

5. At the end of the night some PRAY that tomorrow brings a little EXCITEMENT.

The Danger in the DR is not the crime you can get robbed or murder at Disneyland if someone wanted you dead. The danger in the DR comes from BOREDOM!!!. I was MURDERED in the DR of BOREDOM, and I thought boredom was a state of mind boy was I wrong. The Danger is Oct 12 2012 will be JUST LIKE June 8 2018 and if this is not DANGER I do not know what is. EVERYDAY is the EXACT SAME.

The crime is NOT an issue in DR for a tourist. I live in a VERY VERY VERY dangerous city, but it is not dangerous for tourist.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Hmmm, I dunno, it can be a struggle after a while to find something new to do. If you're not a hang out on the beach or down by the river type of guy then no, it's not buzzing with option. We struggle big time to find things to do with our daughter. And even on a adult level you have to make your own fun.

You simply don't do touristy things when living in the country, nothing is ever new or interesting after a while. You really need a specific interest or hobby to fill the time.

The national past time is sitting on a chair in the street or in a colmado watching the day pass you by before going to bed, not as if there isn't enough hours in the day. That is why s many expats have drinking issues, not a lot more to do if you don't have hobbies. You gotta work if youre young, there is not other way.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
Hey Give,don't blame the expats drinking issues on DR.I lived in the states.People that lived in the suburbs drink,their teenage kids,drink,worst yet,they get into drugs because after they get into that age there's no more soccers or swimming classes to keep them entertained.Where do you live in DR? There's a lot of cultural activities to do,and different attractions.Some people just lived in their North Coast bubble.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There does not need to be blame for anything, some expats drink a lot because it is their choice, a choice that in my opinion is made easy because there is relatively little to do unless you have a working structure to your life. I really don't care what people in the suburbs of the US do, it is insignificant to anything that happens in DR. Interesting 'there is lots of cultural things to do', once immersed in the country i didnt find myself considering looking for culture, you are living in amongst it and so I can only relate that to maybe my first year or two when things were new, 'attractions'? Only so many, same as anywhere, another slice of tourist mentality. You can have your constant vacation type lifestyle if you like, keep revolving around that scene, but it gets kind of expensive, kind of boring, kind of unnatural after a while and is not really homely and settled. We moved around every few years in search of something a little bit special wibuts good balance, but it didn't really exist, it is the same as anywhere you live, it all gets same old after a while. Horses for courses! There isn't a right or wrong so no need for blame, what tickles some isn't enough for others.
I have lived Eastcoast, Central and the Capital over 8 years, and a few months here and there more short term, so I've seen quite a scope, I've got a good idea how it works. People best suited to living are those with a business to run, develope and occupy their mind. A day out is a day off, welcomed. What doesn't suit is when you are looking for something to do as every day is a day off, that doesn't often work well.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Those people I have tasted tasted more like fish to me
Der Fish

first, lets be clear, when you say people, you mean women.
second: if it smells like arenque left in a tupperwear container on the kitchen counter for one week - DON'T EAT IT. ok?

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
When I was a tourist for years and years in DR I LOVE IT it was not one thing I did not like about the DR, but I was only there for a 2 weeks, 10 days even sometime I would go for a 3 day weekend. I never notice any crime or petty theft NEVER. I was alone 95% of the time back then, and many of my friends were Hatians( note to all newbies if you want to know everything about the DR good and bad befriend a HONEST Haitian). I would see the entire island sometime just on buses, loved every minute of it, THEN THE SUN WENT DOWN when I married my crazy a$$ wife.

When I decided to move to the DR and be a family I saw things I never wanted to see, I heard things I never wanted to hear. For some reason a lot of Dominicans think once you marry them and move to their country they think they OWN you. I had a lot of things come up missing in our home and the CROOKS were her friends. Baseball caps, cloths, jewelry all were taken I out of my room, and when I ask my wife always " YO NO SE"

When you are a tourist you are pretty much OFF LIMITS, but when they feel you are NO LONGER a tourist the gloves come off. Sometime I would have take 2 buses from Santo Domingo Este to Samana just to be able to breathe and so I can feel like a tourist again.

I LOVE The Dominican Republic, but I do not like la Republica Dominicana very much and their is a BIG difference between the two.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Wow,you must affiliate yourself with a lot of boring Dominicans.There's plenty to do,you just got to go out there and do it.It all depends on your lifestyle.When I was there back in April,I did something different everyday.If I was living and working there,what I did everyday,I would've done on the weekend.Now don't tell me you do something different everyday in Chicago.I mean,driving that caddy and window shopping for watches has to get boring...:p...Just kidding,a lil' jab with love...

No I can't because we are having a really BAD summer the HEAT & HUMID weather is terrible todays high is suppose to be 98 degrees.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hey Give,don't blame the expats drinking issues on DR.I lived in the states.People that lived in the suburbs drink,their teenage kids,drink,worst yet,they get into drugs because after they get into that age there's no more soccers or swimming classes to keep them entertained.Where do you live in DR? There's a lot of cultural activities to do,and different attractions.Some people just lived in their North Coast bubble.

You speak like you are an expert. How many years of living in the DR are you basing your comments on?

I have been living here 26 years. I agree with Giveadogahome that you need to have something that occupies you. When I was living in Samana I worked for Hotel Gran Bahia. Now in Sosua my passion is photography. If I didn't have that strong
interest, time would pass very slowly.

If you are basing your comments on a few visits as a tourist, with all due respect, I don't think you know what you are talking about.

gringobachata7

Sep 19, 2009
I have been on and off in the DR for years and i only saw one robbery. A ladron was going in and out of the neighbor's house. He took their stash of money that they used to pay the bills for the month. I got his description and reported it. I was watching through the shudders and he could not see me. I never saw another robbery. That is like one day out of 900 days in the DR that I saw a robbery. Honestly, I see things happen more often in the USA.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
You can be scared of crime anywhere. If you look for trouble in the DR you will find it. Kind of the same as anywhere else in the world. I must be lucky the only trouble I ever had is with my fellow countrymen. Be aware when dealing with the chicas, stay away from drugs, drink wisely and you will enjoy.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
When I was a tourist for years and years in DR I LOVE IT it was not one thing I did not like about the DR, but I was only there for a 2 weeks, 10 days even sometime I would go for a 3 day weekend. I never notice any crime or petty theft NEVER. I was alone 95% of the time back then, and many of my friends were Hatians( note to all newbies if you want to know everything about the DR good and bad befriend a HONEST Haitian). I would see the entire island sometime just on buses, loved every minute of it, THEN THE SUN WENT DOWN when I married my crazy a$$ wife.

When I decided to move to the DR and be a family I saw things I never wanted to see, I heard things I never wanted to hear. For some reason a lot of Dominicans think once you marry them and move to their country they think they OWN you. I had a lot of things come up missing in our home and the CROOKS were her friends. Baseball caps, cloths, jewelry all were taken I out of my room, and when I ask my wife always " YO NO SE"

When you are a tourist you are pretty much OFF LIMITS, but when they feel you are NO LONGER a tourist the gloves come off. Sometime I would have take 2 buses from Santo Domingo Este to Samana just to be able to breathe and so I can feel like a tourist again.

I LOVE The Dominican Republic, but I do not like la Republica Dominicana very much and their is a BIG difference between the two.
Your experience is not uncommon.

Next time apply HB's Rules and your family won't look at you like a rich target.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Jeff,
May I call you Jeff? <wink wink> You are the OP (original poster) as some other posters have already told you.
The compliment was sincere. You are much better looking than Ted Danson. I'll have to check out your picture again just to see if I can find out what actor you look like. You don't need to look like one though because you are handsome enough!
Good luck and have fun in your adventures in the DR.
PS
For you first Spanish lesson: dulce means sweet in Spanish.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
are you trying to pick him up?
and they say true love cannot be found on the internet....
:)
;)

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
are you trying to pick him up?
and they say true love cannot be found on the internet....
:)
;)

I would never look for love on the internet nor steal him from you nor rob you of your beer date with him. :eek:
I am trying to lighten up the mood of DR1 while at the same time let the new heart throb of DR1 know that he has nothing to be afraid of. Well, maybe a couple of DR1 posters we could warn him of. ;)
I must admit I am a tad bit excited. And you dv8? Damn! He is a dulce sueno!

Status
Not open for further replies.