Young Dominican American Starting Over! Wish me luck...

Hi Luperon,
I don't currently ship cars to DR but am hoping to make those connections once I'm there. My services are offered Nationwide in the U.S. only for now, but have a feeling this will be changing very soon so feel free to visit my website frequently or pm me for updates, I can always check into prices for you. I have pm'd you my company and direct contact info as well. Contact me if I can assist you in any way.

"I don't require work as I own an online vehicle shipping company that I run from my home"

If you are shipping cars to the DR I would assume you have more connections and knowledge than most DR1ers. If you ship cars from NY, please PM me.

Windeguy,
I completely get why this would be your first reaction. I think the more appropriate term for my thread should have been WHAT WAS ALL THE HYPE ABOUT, lol.... Where in the North Coast are you? Are you saying I should go straight for the citizenship? I would obviously like to maintain dual citizenship. Do you have kids? What's the expected cost for schooling, good quality education... Somewhere on one of these threads I read good education habits start at home... YES, YES, YES
Different in the North Coast from Santiago to Santo Domingo in terms of what exactly? I'ld like to know more...

Normally my response to such a request would be why would you do such a thing, but you are Dominican, have a business you can run from anywhere, and would understand the risks better than most.

If you are Dominican based upon your parents, get all of the information you can about them and you can fairly easily become a citizen which is probably best in your case. Residency is now a royal pain in the butt.

As for prices, they will vary widely based upon the location you choose. I am on the north coast and it is vastly different than Santigo or Santo Domingo.

Chirimoya,
thank you for the all the great info. You obviously reside there right? In the capital maybe? I've been told Santiago is a great option in terms of cost of living, quality and cost of schools, extra curricular activities etc. Don't hear much about the capital.... The schools were great recommendations, have added them to my list.

I am looking for a rental to start so if you know of any properties I am looking to relocate Mar/Apr 2014. I go on supercasas and another DR website and look at properties all the time, but know word of mouth can always help save a dollar, no pun intended, lol.

All private international schools cover the core subjects in Spanish as required by the Ministry of Education. They teach Lengua Espa?ola, Sociales, Moral y C?vica and Mathematics using the approved textbooks.

If you definitely want to avoid the international schools, good schools in the capital that are not bilingual/international include Babeque, Lux Mundi and La Salle.

Around RD$10-12,000 but depends where you live and whether she is full time/part time/live in. It will be less in a small pueblo and more in tourist areas. There have been threads about this on DR1 - try the search function.

They all exist and will vary according to location. Most private schools will have them, often for no extra cost, as part of their extra curricular programme.

In Santo Domingo? Rental or purchase? House or apartment? It also depends which school you choose. Bella Vista, Cacigazgos, Mirador Sur, Arroyo Hondo, Naco, Piantini, Julieta, Evaristo Morales, Gazcue, La Julia, La Esperilla, Seralles are just a few.
Here on the east coast it also varies wildly but people living in the nice/safe areas (Cocotal, Punta Cana Village, Res. B?varo-Punta Cana, Los Corales) pay around 1,000 US per month, sometimes much less. There is more offer than demand so it is possible to negotiate a lower rate.

Again, depends which part of the country. Here on the east coast several expats and Dominicans I know fundraise for and volunteer in schools in the poorest areas like El Hoyo de Friusa. There are a lot of initiatives on the North Coast and it should be easy to find something like this in the larger cities.

Hi Bronzeallspice,
I am interested to hear your thoughts why my moving there single is any different from me living here single? As I've mentioned before I am really open to locations. I've explored the capital, san cristobal, puerto plata and sosua. Am asking to have a basis where to start. I've been told the capital is congested, lots of littering everywhere, cut throat and not as safe. I can stay in Florida and deal with that.. I'm just saying =)

Welcome to DR1! You are one brave woman to want to move there as a single
parent with 4 children.:) That's bound to be a challenge and I wish you luck.

Research thoroughly prior to your move and make a few trips to check out the
locations where you want to live.

Do you have a preference as far as location, north, south or east?

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Hi Bronzeallspice,
I am interested to hear your thoughts why my moving there single is any different from me living here single? As I've mentioned before I am really open to locations. I've explored the capital, san cristobal, puerto plata and sosua. Am asking to have a basis where to start. I've been told the capital is congested, lots of littering everywhere, cut throat and not as safe. I can stay in Florida and deal with that.. I'm just saying =)

Will send you PM

Bronze,
I just saw this post... This is exactly what I'm trying to do. Gather information to see if this is even a feasible option. Compared to what I spend now roughly $4000-$4500 u.s and my children attend public school, this is bare bones necessities. Rent alone is $1400u.s. I drive a decent 2002 Ford Taurus that works perfectly fine and gets us everywhere we need to go I bought for $2800 a few years ago. Utilies are crazy with high temps requiring central 24-7 air conditioning, water bills you don't have in many places like NY (Definately not moving there =)) range anywhere from $125 - $175u.s. that includes waste removal and bulk garbage pickup. Car insurance at what the state requires runs about $100u.s and that's not counting the comcast triple play package you need to have because I need internet to work, house phone in the event of an emergency and cable lineup from PBS kids to Nick Jr, Bravo for my RH and HLN. I highly doubt that I will be spending anywhere near this kind of money and will be doing a lot more. I mean to take my kids to the movies here is $100us. between tickets, popcorn and drinks. Going out to eat as a family is easily another $100u.s and my 6yr old wants lobster, snow crab legs and oysters imagine that, lol! It's been a long time since I visited bronze but know it can't be any worse. I mean we have a metro now, technology is booming, there seems to be more of a focus on education and social welfare, enviro friendly initiatives and campaigns to clean up the streets so there is some forward progress while it seems we're making backward progress here in u.s. The only thing is guaranteed are social services programs where you can get food stamps, medicaid and borrow money to go to school. Those sound like more of the dreams of those who come to America. I mean I lived in San Cristobal when I remember having to take a moto concho because the roads had not been paved for road traffic yet. During that time while tough because it wasn't what I was used to, it developed a resilience in me that made me confident, determined and I knew I could hold my own. Here I was in an estranged country figuring it all out and I survived. Kids are very resilient and highly adaptable. I'm sure things have changed bronze and hopefully for the better. Things have changed here in the U.S. too. I no longer feel safe when my son walks home from playing basketball at the local boys and girls club because he might get robbed for his beat headphones, or jordan sneakers or even his phone. I was abused as a child by my babysitters husband in NY, this was the woman my mother trusted to care of me while she slaved in a jewish factory shop in Brooklyn to put food on the table and clothes on our back. Things are terrible everywhere. I live in Florida and don't feel safe going to the ATM machine at night, I do all my running around during the day, when I'm home my alarm is on and my pretty blue nose pit greets everyone at the door. I'm not kidding... My plans of going there are in no way shape or form with a bandana over my eyes, but I definately believe that I can provide my children a more wholesome, better quality of life in DR.

Kareline, from looking at your list of things, how long has it been, since you've
been to the DR? I know you mentioned you're Dominican but if you've been there
recently you would know the answer to some of these questions.

Do not assume that living in the DR is cheaper than living in the states. You have
4 children and the food bill, clothing, activities, travel, etc. adds up quickly times 4.

Make a list of what you will be spending monthly and compare to how much
you currently spend, unless money is no option for you.:)

I'm Dominican too and I can tell you, the DR is not what it used to be years ago.

Chip,
it's okay! Tamborista you like to bust peoples chops, lol. Which coast do you live in? I too live in Florida and man it's crazy. I thought about moving to Orlando it equally expensive there and not much different from South Florida now, much like Georgia and Texas. Can you give me the name of the school your children attend and where it's located. I'm planning 2 visits in 1 week increments to look explore and visit schools etc.

To the OP, best of luck. I recommend Santiago as there are many nice places and activities.

As far as cost, for me for a family of 5 it is about a third of the cost compared to that of Orlando where we lived. We don't eat out a lot of course. Our kids are in a private Christian school.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Bronze,
I just saw this post... This is exactly what I'm trying to do. Gather information to see if this is even a feasible option. Compared to what I spend now roughly $4000-$4500 u.s and my children attend public school, this is bare bones necessities. Rent alone is $1400u.s. I drive a decent 2002 Ford Taurus that works perfectly fine and gets us everywhere we need to go I bought for $2800 a few years ago. Utilies are crazy with high temps requiring central 24-7 air conditioning, water bills you don't have in many places like NY (Definately not moving there =)) range anywhere from $125 - $175u.s. that includes waste removal and bulk garbage pickup. Car insurance at what the state requires runs about $100u.s and that's not counting the comcast triple play package you need to have because I need internet to work, house phone in the event of an emergency and cable lineup from PBS kids to Nick Jr, Bravo for my RH and HLN. I highly doubt that I will be spending anywhere near this kind of money and will be doing a lot more. I mean to take my kids to the movies here is $100us. between tickets, popcorn and drinks. Going out to eat as a family is easily another $100u.s and my 6yr old wants lobster, snow crab legs and oysters imagine that, lol! It's been a long time since I visited bronze but know it can't be any worse. I mean we have a metro now, technology is booming, there seems to be more of a focus on education and social welfare, enviro friendly initiatives and campaigns to clean up the streets so there is some forward progress while it seems we're making backward progress here in u.s. The only thing is guaranteed are social services programs where you can get food stamps, medicaid and borrow money to go to school. Those sound like more of the dreams of those who come to America. I mean I lived in San Cristobal when I remember having to take a moto concho because the roads had not been paved for road traffic yet. During that time while tough because it wasn't what I was used to, it developed a resilience in me that made me confident, determined and I knew I could hold my own. Here I was in an estranged country figuring it all out and I survived. Kids are very resilient and highly adaptable. I'm sure things have changed bronze and hopefully for the better. Things have changed here in the U.S. too. I no longer feel safe when my son walks home from playing basketball at the local boys and girls club because he might get robbed for his beat headphones, or jordan sneakers or even his phone. I was abused as a child by my babysitters husband in NY, this was the woman my mother trusted to care of me while she slaved in a jewish factory shop in Brooklyn to put food on the table and clothes on our back. Things are terrible everywhere. I live in Florida and don't feel safe going to the ATM machine at night, I do all my running around during the day, when I'm home my alarm is on and my pretty blue nose pit greets everyone at the door. I'm not kidding... My plans of going there are in no way shape or form with a bandana over my eyes, but I definately believe that I can provide my children a more wholesome, better quality of life in DR.

If you've spend between 4000-4500 in the US then you will do just fine in the DR with that budget(you'll do very well indeed) or even less.

It all depends on your lifestyle.:) and since you're renting, you'll be fine.

Shalena you are exactly what I need in my medicine cabinet! A dose of healthy reality. I can't be bothered with men, smh!

Hello, OP.
I moved here as single mom and I have 4 children also. I live in Santiago. My children go to a private Dominican school that costs 2,000rd/month each. School is taught in Spanish. They only speak English at home.
I have live-in help that I pay 12,000rd/mo. but she is worth 3x that. Plus I have a domestic that comes 4.5 days a week that I pay 2,000 bi-weekly.
My expenses are high but if you live normally it shouldn't be that much (at least not in Santiago). You can PM me if you would like more info on my expenses or how it is here without the Dominican man everyone thinks you need to survive.
Good luck.

SHALENA

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
please, forget about the north coast. you will not find such a big choice of activities here. it is good that you are doing your homework before making a move. shalena and bronzie are both moms and can come up with some great tips. i am a disgruntled old bat myself, you know.

supercasas is a great page to give you an idea about what to expect and what to look for. check supercarros as well to get the feel of how much are the cars selling for and what is available.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
We have only 1 child and we spend more than 4k a month only for bare necessities! And we dont go to no cinema cos we dont have one in Cabarete, so to go see some movies to the closes spot in Santiago you will spend more than 100$ for sure! There is NO way you will spend here less than that! Electricity bills here are crazy too if you want to run AC 24/7... And dont forget internet here SUCKS and is expensive!
I dont know if your job requires stable connection without a glitch or drops of speed, but if it does then forget about it.
Driving is also dangerous here because nobody respects the law. If you will choose north cost to live your kids wont have much things to do except going to the beach, i have not heard or seen a good music, sports or art school where they give real education in this subjects...
I think you will like Punta Cana more, its very modern and quiet place, good schools and a lot of development, you wont see no shacks there like on north. Explore Punta Cana and Bavaro first i guarantee you and your kids will be more safe and busy there than in Sosua-Cabarete. Its expensive though. No way you will spend less then 4k with 4 kids a month.
Example rent for 3 bedroom condo around 700-1000$ + electricity 100-300$ a month (depends on how much you use AC), school 400$ minimum a month per child, food easy 1000$ for your family, internet from 30$ (almost like dial-up speed)- 500$(reasonable speed that you get like for 30$ in US), gas, a lot of gas, you cant just walk to the store or to school. And if you wanna go out and buy your own drinks... No less that 60$ you are going to spend.
I dont think you will get a quality life that would be worth of moving here for less than 4g's.
I know many people earn/spend less but hey it might be just better than what they had in Russia but it is still tough.
Bronze,

JessicaRabbit (love your name btw)
No girl, no way. I was born and raised in NYC and my parents moved to Fort Lauderdale, FL I think looking for the closest thing to DR. When my grandmother would come to visit us from DR she would say "hay si, a mi me gusta aqui. Esto es como un campo con luz", hahaha this was many many years ago when mortgages were $600 per month, gas was $1.05 a gallon, a gallon of milk was $2 and change the platanos were 8x $1.00, a bus ride was $.60 and if you were on welfare you could sit at home all day, pop babies out and never have to work or go to school for that check. Back in those days you could limitlessly live off of student loans and take expensive trips on those instead of actually paying for school tuition. You know during the bubble that left us all with our hands on our heads thinking what the $%^k happened?

I am young but have lived my single days to the fullest from crazy parties in NYC and South Beach with rappers, sports figures, club promoters. That has lost its glisten for me, too many sleepless nights and money speant that I can put to better use now. Instead of buying myself a $300 handbag I would rather take my kids on vacation, or out it towards their college fund even pay extra on a credit card bill. DAMN INTEREST RATES =(. I really look forward to doing simple things like I do here, movies, beaches, un rio natural y hermoso, ziplining, exploring the island, our culture and history, y claro un bailaita from time to time but nothing comes before my children and I've said it numerous times what I need is a housekeeper to help me cook, clean, wash and fold the laundry, help me comb someone's hair nothing with homework, teaching, ushering my kids around... I am thinking I have about 3 months next year to check it out before school ends as the 2 eldest are with dad right now for this school year. We'll see... I feel good about all of this for some reason!

I would say stay in Florida... I dream of moving outa DR to FL, if you are young you will be bored to death here in DR. At least i am after almost 4 years living here. May be its like that only on north coast but... I visited NYC last week and i almost cried in the theater, in the supermarket, in stores... From a thought that i would never be able to see, experience, taste or buy things like that in DR. If you can work remotely just come here for a summer, rent, see for yourself.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I have a feeling she is not going to live in the north coast. She is Dominican and I'm reading
between the lines. She will do well on that budget if she does not live in an expat community.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
And if you are scared to go to ATM at NIGHT! in florida... Hmm 1 night ago a young guy was shot dead next door where i live for no obvious reason, they didnt even take his shotgun... We heard the gunshots and his last screams...

Really JessicaRabbit, internet can range up to $500 is this u.s. per month. That is insanity! You spend almost $4000 u.s. per month in Santo Domingo? What is an average light bill with A/C ofcourse doesn't need to run 24/7 lets say? What can i expect?

We have only 1 child and we spend more than 4k a month only for bare necessities! And we dont go to no cinema cos we dont have one in Cabarete, so to go see some movies to the closes spot in Santiago you will spend more than 100$ for sure! There is NO way you will spend here less than that! Electricity bills here are crazy too if you want to run AC 24/7... And dont forget internet here SUCKS and is expensive!
I dont know if your job requires stable connection without a glitch or drops of speed, but if it does then forget about it.
Driving is also dangerous here because nobody respects the law. If you will choose north cost to live your kids wont have much things to do except going to the beach, i have not heard or seen a good music, sports or art school where they give real education in this subjects...
I think you will like Punta Cana more, its very modern and quiet place, good schools and a lot of development, you wont see no shacks there like on north. Explore Punta Cana and Bavaro first i guarantee you and your kids will be more safe and busy there than in Sosua-Cabarete. Its expensive though. No way you will spend less then 4k with 4 kids a month.
Example rent for 3 bedroom condo around 700-1000$ + electricity 100-300$ a month (depends on how much you use AC), school 400$ minimum a month per child, food easy 1000$ for your family, internet from 30$ (almost like dial-up speed)- 500$(reasonable speed that you get like for 30$ in US), gas, a lot of gas, you cant just walk to the store or to school. And if you wanna go out and buy your own drinks... No less that 60$ you are going to spend.
I dont think you will get a quality life that would be worth of moving here for less than 4g's.
I know many people earn/spend less but hey it might be just better than what they had in Russia but it is still tough.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jessica is not even in SD, she is on the north coast. decent internet is about 50-70 dollars a month here. higher rates are for a commercial connection.