Young Dominican American Starting Over! Wish me luck...

JessicaRabbit there was a young man here that was shot just because he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. I understand things are tough everywhere. I'm not afraid of going to the ATM i just know that it's not safe to do so and me being a woman at night at an ATM could potentially be a problem como decimos "es mejor prevenir que lamentar".

And if you are scared to go to ATM at NIGHT! in florida... Hmm 1 night ago a young guy was shot dead next door where i live for no obvious reason, they didnt even take his shotgun... We heard the gunshots and his last screams...

DV8, thanks. I was wondering at those rates how it's possible to afford. I just hired my first american out of Puerto Plata to answer and make calls virtually and see how it could work hiring people in DR and her connection works just fine. We use Skype with an unlimited plan for calls in U.S. and so far so good the only issue is that the young lady doesn't have an inversol so power outages are affecting us. However this would not be my case as I am looking into an inversol mas rapido que imediatamente!

jessica is not even in SD, she is on the north coast. decent internet is about 50-70 dollars a month here. higher rates are for a commercial connection.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
I was holding back and had to step in, could not countain myself....Jessica Rabbit...have you ever llved in sofla? do you even know what this place is like nowadays??? expensive, super packed traffic jams...crime is here as well too.... cost of living is crazy...
as far as cost of living compared to the D.R... no pun intended but you probably shop where expats go... there is a big differences in prices.... I shuttle between the north coast and florida 4 times a year, I am half dominican and there are two different lifestyles and cost differences.... expats,foreigners and dominican prices.... big difference my dear..

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Just to give you an idea...my aunt lives in El Millon in a 3 bedroom apartment...3 a/c units...her light bill is 4000.00 a month (about $100.00 usd).... my mom has a 2 bedroom house in Ciudad Nueva (close to ciudad colonial)....her light bill is $1200.00 dop...
in the north coast where I reside the light bill comes to about $800.00 dop a month.
If you want American lifestyle...don't come here, you are gonna pay up your nose... but in hindsight if anybody wants that lifestyle why move here at all???

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
So to make a very long story short... expats usually pay more than a dominican for everything in general...cause they don't knowhere to shop, look for bargains, the actual going street price etc...
as far as sites to check...don't go to supercarros.... go to LaPulga.com.do, corotos.com, laclave.com, livio.com...
check where actual dominicans buy stuff...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
working over the internet means that the inversor is a must and so is a smartphone that can serve as a hotspot if all else fails.

but take jessica's advice regarding spending. for the two of us (plus cats ad dogs) we spend minimum 100 dollars a week, that covers food and basics. you could do less and you could do a lot more too. and that's not a question of dominican prices: supermarket charges everyone the same and we get lots of stuff free from the farm or a garden.

a family here in POP with the AC on most of the time (2 units) spends 300-400 dollars a month on the power bill.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
If you are paying 300-400 usd a month...somebody is ripping you off honey.... believe me... my aunt has 3 a/c units in la capital, washer and dryer, fans kicking up and down and the highest ive seen the bill is about 175.00usd.... You are absolutely overpaying.
as far as prices Honey, there are places where you pay less. plain and simple, In florida, NY or the D.R.
Ive been in business for a long time and even Wholesale prices change from one place to the other and in between suppliers....
Check your wire...somebody is riding on your back... or bitch and complain...to the power company...
You are paying wayyy tooo much

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
not me but in laws, and they are not overpaying, they are paying their rate. to fork out less than 200 bucks a month for 3 AC means to steal the power or live in a neighbourhood with lower rates. full stop.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
JessicaRabbit there was a young man here that was shot just because he was at the wrong place at the wrong time. I understand things are tough everywhere. I'm not afraid of going to the ATM i just know that it's not safe to do so and me being a woman at night at an ATM could potentially be a problem como decimos "es mejor prevenir que lamentar".

Just a words of caution: this happens also in broad daylight in the DR not just at night
so just be careful and use ATMs that are located in the banks. When you get out watch
your surroundings prior to entering your car. I'm not trying to scare you, it's how it is.

Usually there are security guards with rifles in front of the banks.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
My aunt is the most honest person I've ever met in my life, to the point that I call her stupid and naive. If you call "El Millon" a ****hole, you have never been there.....Its not millionares row, but its upper middle class in dominican standars....
their light bill is usually under $200.00 usd a month, my mothers bill is never over 50.00 usd a month, in ciudad nueva SD.

My aunt would never participate in stealing electric she is way too honest, and my mom is too old to try to do it herself. If she were younger, she probably would find a way....

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
not me but in laws, and they are not overpaying, they are paying their rate. to fork out less than 200 bucks a month for 3 AC means to steal the power or live in a neighbourhood with lower rates. full stop.

dv8, you are right. The problem is that some expats pay more because they live in expat communities versus most Dominicans who live in neighborhoods where they are charged lower rates.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
I was holding back and had to step in, could not countain myself....Jessica Rabbit...have you ever llved in sofla? do you even know what this place is like nowadays??? expensive, super packed traffic jams...crime is here as well too.... cost of living is crazy...
as far as cost of living compared to the D.R... no pun intended but you probably shop where expats go... there is a big differences in prices.... I shuttle between the north coast and florida 4 times a year, I am half dominican and there are two different lifestyles and cost differences.... expats,foreigners and dominican prices.... big difference my dear..

It depends on what part of South Florida you are referring to. All parts of South Florida is not all shiny and sparkly. One of the biggest misconceptions in the USA is the south Florida people are all rich and nothing can be further from the truth. If a person moves from NYC, San Francisco, Washington D.C or Chicago they will also leave behind 1000's of dollars because the cost of living is far less in Florida then it is in the cities I stated above therefore you are paid a lot less at your job.

The stars in Florida have all the money, but regular people are not as lucky. Many people I know that move to the Miami area or FLL struggle a lot more then they did when they lived in the north.

Also the OP will be tested once she moved to Santo Domingo and people will try to get as much money out of her as they can until they realize she is no longer a easy 500RD or 1000RD. People in Santo Domingo do not discriminate if you have more money then the next person and you are new no matter if you are Dominican or not they will try you. This is not only in Dominican Republic this practice happens all over the world.

oceanspear,
sofla is crazy right now and I truely believe it will get worse. The education especially is among the worst in the Nation. Boston is ranking the best but my sister right now is dying to get out of the cold and can't get rid of her house to do so and her kids go to an excellent public school. But she and her husband both have jobs they hate and travel to DR atleast once a year. You live life once! Here I have an opportunity I think, during recessive times some people will find opportunities, some will sink and some will swim... I want to be the latter =)

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Follow your dreams my dear....its funny how life turns out...today a good cuban friend of mine (commercial fisherman) was talking to me about how he was moving back to Cuba!!!... and I said are you crazy????!!!!...... then I realized I am doing the same thing and moving permanently to the D.R... "first world" amenities don't buy happiness....
its hilarious how people that have never lived in florida, talk about how everything here is peaches and cream!!!..... maybe to the ones living on Star Island.... not to the blue collar workers and the middle class struggling with bills..... if they only knew...

I do require reliable internet and have the SamsunG Galaxy NoteII which raises the question about cell coverage. I have to find out if my sprint plan will work from there. I am sure if I am frivolous with money and don' know how to budget myself I'm sure I can out myself in a pickle but then again I'm not living in a shelter here either am able to provide and sustain my family on my own. While it's tough I atleast look forward to be able to hire help that can alleviate the stress of keeping a tidy home with 4 active kids and a dog.

No mas fregadera... lavadera...limpiadera...barridera...chopadera, hahaha =)

working over the internet means that the inversor is a must and so is a smartphone that can serve as a hotspot if all else fails.

but take jessica's advice regarding spending. for the two of us (plus cats ad dogs) we spend minimum 100 dollars a week, that covers food and basics. you could do less and you could do a lot more too. and that's not a question of dominican prices: supermarket charges everyone the same and we get lots of stuff free from the farm or a garden.

a family here in POP with the AC on most of the time (2 units) spends 300-400 dollars a month on the power bill.

This sure does JMB773 I am more interested in finding accurate information with references, names and locations. So for instance you may live in DR somewhere, perhaps you guys can tell me where and appr cost of a 3-4 bedroom home with 2 or more bathrooms y cuarto de servicio, agua potable and with or without inversol for instance.

Schools - names, location and cost.

One of the many great people that replied to my post said to me earlier DR is not what it use to be I say, Florida is not what it use to be, lol. I am outta here me, my business and my kids!

It depends on what part of South Florida you are referring to. All parts of South Florida is not all shiny and sparkly. One of the biggest misconceptions in the USA is the south Florida people are all rich and nothing can be further from the truth. If a person moves from NYC, San Francisco, Washington D.C or Chicago they will also leave behind 1000's of dollars because the cost of living is far less in Florida then it is in the cities I stated above therefore you are paid a lot less at your job.

The stars in Florida have all the money, but regular people are not as lucky. Many people I know that move to the Miami area or FLL struggle a lot more then they did when they lived in the north.

Also the OP will be tested once she moved to Santo Domingo and people will try to get as much money out of her as they can until they realize she is no longer a easy 500RD or 1000RD. People in Santo Domingo do not discriminate if you have more money then the next person and you are new no matter if you are Dominican or not they will try you. This is not only in Dominican Republic this practice happens all over the world.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
If by potable water you mean drinkable from the faucet, forget it! You have to purchase
bottled water.