canadian missionary shot 9 times in cabarete

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
You are correct about .380, and .38. ,357 are all 38 caliber. It is the power in the cartridge that makes the difference. The.380 uses a lighter lead than the 9mm Luger and is slower. The .38 and .357 though the same caliber are similarly different, the .38 is a smaller slower piece of lead. To find the basic "stopping power" of a bullet I think the formula was to multiply the weight of the bullet times the velocity squared or similar, but the obvious factor involved is speed of bullet

As for the 9mm SMG, many LE and Military units are going to smaller caliber higher velocity rounds that will defeat the body armor many criminals are found to be wearing

More than you wanted to know

My wife's weapon of choice for self defence is a 9mm Ruger Luger loaded with Glaser Safety Slugs.
You do not want to break into our home.
Of course we live in the country in Texas in a gated guarded community so hopefully there is no need.
We also have a loaded shotgun for snakes and armadillos, it is used quite often.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Wanna move that decimal point a couple of places? It should cost less that $300.00 to get him home and then if he is Canadian his medical expenses should be covered shouldn't they?

If you are out of Canada for more than six months you lose your medical coverage and it takes 3 months to get it back.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I believe your not covered out of country. Hope that's the case or I spent $1000 for nothing.
You are not covered out of country, unless you needed emergency life saving surgery, but you have to pay and your Canadian Medical will review the case. The only way to be covered is by having purchased travel insurance

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
The news on the TV specifically said they needed at leat $25,000.00 Cdn to bring him home for medical treatment... Not sure what they "think" they have set up medically here or if they were referring to paying for his medical in the RD. because even $25,000 here without medical coverage wouldn't go very far.

He would NOT be covered here in Manitoba, he's been gone many years.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
You are correct about .380, and .38. ,357 are all 38 caliber. It is the power in the cartridge that makes the difference. The.380 uses a lighter lead than the 9mm Luger and is slower. The .38 and .357 though the same caliber are similarly different, the .38 is a smaller slower piece of lead. To find the basic "stopping power" of a bullet I think the formula was to multiply the weight of the bullet times the velocity squared or similar, but the obvious factor involved is speed of bullet

As for the 9mm SMG, many LE and Military units are going to smaller caliber higher velocity rounds that will defeat the body armor many criminals are found to be wearing

More than you wanted to know

Handgun Cartridge Power Chart - Condensed Version

Stopping Power Chart | The Modern Survivalist

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
Canadian shot several times in Dominican Republic protecting students
sunnewsnetwork.ca
SunNewsNetwork.ca uses video, photos, and interactive tools to cover Canada's national and international news, politics, and varying opinions.

Tried to copy and paste article, obviously did not work, this article states a gentleman in a Puerto Plata complex was shot 9 times trying to stop burgulars from gaining access to a student compound which housed 26 Canadian students from Winnipeg. Happened Jan 31A Canadian man is recovering after he was shot nine times at an apartment complex he runs in the Dominican Republic.

Lester Lehmann also suffered a broken knee and a shattered arm bone after he tried to stop thieves from breaking into an area where a group of high school students from Winnipeg were staying.

The group arrived Jan. 30, and around 1 a.m. on Jan. 31, Lehmann was woken up by a noise and went to investigate.

Lehmann's family said he came across two thieves trying to break into the area where the students slept.

CREDITS: donatetoles.com

CREDIT: donatetoles.com

"Les grabbed a machete and confronted them, while the thieves shot at him numerous times. They backed him into the bedroom and began stomping on his head and torso, resulting in extensive injury and bruising in the hope that Les would no longer interfere any further with their robbery," the website DonateToLes.com said. The website has been set up to handle donations for Lehmann, who does not have medical coverage in the Dominican Republic.

After about 10 minutes, the thieves stopped assaulting Lehmann. He went back to his room where he got a baseball bat. He hit one of the intruders several times while the other shot at Lehmann. The two thieves eventually ran off.

The Directorate General of the Franco-Manitoban School Division said in a release 26 people -- students, teachers and parents -- were at the complex in Puerto Plata. Their trip was to help at an orphanage for girls. No one on the trip was injured.

GRAPHIC CONTENT: The following video captures Les using a bat to subdue one of the thieves and being shot several times.

Last edited:

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
What do you think 130 previous posts are all about.................:ermm:
Talking about being "day late and a dollar short"........................

B in Santiago

Richard Bruce

Dec 27, 2013
There was also a class of young students visiting from Canada when the attempted robbery occurred. It made the news here. They were shaken up and some in shock, but otherwise not hurt. A real grow up fast lesson for most!!

kristen

Jan 17, 2009
Thank you for your kind and smart ass words, I have read the 130 prior posts and if you also have, then you are aware the newspaper article gives the impression it was pop, some say sosua and others cabarete. I was only posting the article from which I read. I have a home in pop and it is indeed a concern. I was just trying to confirm exactly the location this incident had happened. Speedy recovery to Les for his heroic actions.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The newspapers often say Puerto Plata and leave it at that because Puerto Plata, Sosua and Cabarete are all in the Province of Puerto Plata. Lazy reporting skills.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Some of the Team visited Les today. He is out of Hospital (CMC) and in a wheel chair. He is in good spirits and looks forward to his recovery.

The Saturday Pulga at Vecinos will continue as usually.

Olly and the Team - Credit to Team Members visiting Les.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Some of the Team visited Les today. He is out of Hospital (CMC) and in a wheel chair. He is in good spirits and looks forward to his recovery.

The Saturday Pulga at Vecinos will continue as usually.

Olly and the Team - Credit to Team Members visiting Les.

Holy cow! What's that guy made of? Steel???!?!?!

Incredible!