canadian missionary shot 9 times in cabarete

DennyDee88

Sep 12, 2011
They had images of the robbers on detrasdelrumor.com and judging by the guns I believe these are the same two robbers that were robbing people in Lomas Mironas. One of my friends was robbed and they said the robbers used 9mm guns that were black with silver tops. From the pictures on this website those seem like the same guns.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
what's with all the gratuitous rebuke? what we saw was a gruesome incident, hopefully with a positive ending for a brave man. however, neither you, nor anyone else here, knows exactly WHY those guys were there. until we find out more, it behooves you to reserve the calls for people to feel ashamed. ashamed of what?

So Gorgon we need reserve judgment for the two gun toating guys going in and out of condos in the night! No me amigo! I wish Les had a gun and was a better shot.

drescape24

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Yes, yes, i agree with all this. I never disputed it. But to reiterate once again...yes. it was brave beyond the belief, courageous in spades, the man clearly has balls of steel, and i would have his children, but that doesn't mean confronting gun men with a wooden plank is smart.

I probably would have done the same, but i never claimed to be smart. I still got two black--well yellow now--eyes as a result of fighting with a group of motoconchos in the middle of street. And i would gladly do it again and again. But obviously i am not smart. I'm not right in the head. Never have been. I'm also built wrong and i smell funny too.

Frank

Watch the video again, it appears he doesn't know they had guns. Imho it looks like he went to investigate with his bat. I doubt anyone would challenge two armed men. The rest of your post I don't understand the point.

drescape24

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Whoa! Graphic indeed.
Wonder how long before someone came to help.
Just don't understand the lack of regard for human life from these savages.
What drives someone to be such a primitive savage?

I understand the locals, they are desperate and having nothing to lose. What I don't understand is why foreigners continue invest in a country where they're treated this way. THATs what I don't understand. If there is a lack of regard for human life among the locals(and they demonstrated it by killing dozens of foreigners over the last few years), why continue to invest the money, buy homes, etc?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Watch the video again, it appears he doesn't know they had guns. Imho it looks like he went to investigate with his bat. I doubt anyone would challenge two armed men. The rest of your post I don't understand the point.

drescape24

This is what i said three or four pages ago in this thread...i don't think he knew they had guns; how could he? As for the rest of my thread, just ignore it...i'm drunk! I've been drinking coffee all day long!

FRank

HiThere

Jan 31, 2014
I understand the locals, they are desperate and having nothing to lose. What I don't understand is why foreigners continue invest in a country where they're treated this way. THATs what I don't understand. If there is a lack of regard for human life among the locals(and they demonstrated it by killing dozens of foreigners over the last few years), why continue to invest the money, buy homes, etc?

Having spoken to quite a few locals about the incident, I can say that they are exactly as shocked and disgusted as we are and I was even surprised about the amount of compassion they showed. Les is their hero!

This is about criminals, not locals. They feel just as insecure and frightened as we do.

srp

Nov 13, 2012
That's why we choose to live behind walls and barred windows, looks like the FEMA camps in the US

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Jumbo, Bermudan,
It is important to tell people that the website " Donatetoles" details what happened at the robbery/shooting and his current situation.

Olly and the Team

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Jumbo, Bermudan,
It is important to tell people that the website " Donatetoles" details what happened at the robbery/shooting and his current situation.

Olly and the Team

Indeed. And it describes that Les clearly knew they had guns when he went after them with the baseball bat which the video captured (which some people doubted anyone would do if they knew the intruders were armed as such.)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
And it describes that Les clearly knew they had guns when he went after them with the baseball bat which the video captured (which some people doubted anyone would do if they knew the intruders were armed as such.)

the video was all the info and this is why most thought (myself included) that he did not know about guns.

i see from his website he does not have a dominican health insurance? i cannot say how many times i stressed here that insurance is a must here. incredible that people can live here without any insurance. yeah, a visit to a doctor is not much but a surgery or emergency can cost you everything that you have.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Dominican Insurance here for anyone is not expensive...we have coverage through Universal and pay 1200 US a year with 80/20 copay but usually they charge us only 10% if at all....we have 600US each toward prescriptions, dental and glasses....and we each have that coverage for the total of 1200US for both! contact Amber Guardian in Sosua they have less expensive plans but just went to ER with torn tendons in my ankle the end of last week and it was casted, x-rayed, saw Dr Reyes and we paid 325 pesos in total including the one pain injection they gave me (which was I found out-toradol-which has been banned in the US) and the script they gave me for toradal (the name here begins with a d and has kerato,,,,something in it) and that cost us 40pesos with the insurance. My advice would definitely to have insurance of some king here! and if you are coming from the states or Canada on a mission trip I am sure they have some sort of coverage for short term stays..... Hopefully he is doing well and will not "rack" up a huge bill God's speed btw is there any pain med in this country? I am hoping they are giving him something more than what I received, I have had 7 foot surgeries due to joint replacement in my toe on the same foot I just tore the tendons on and wow this is by far the worst but then again in the States I at least had strong pain meds for the first week and broke the pain cycle and then could deal with just motrin.....so hoping he makes a full and hopefully less painful recovery..he stounds like one tough cookie! God's speed

Last edited:

canned oj

Oct 24, 2013
Just watched video what courage. What I can't understand is why for at least 2 minutes after the shooting, no one came to his aid. There where other adults their.To bad courage isn't contagious.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Just watched video what courage. What I can't understand is why for at least 2 minutes after the shooting, no one came to his aid. There where other adults their.To bad courage isn't contagious.

A gunfight close by is terrifying, most people stay below window level for quite a while afterwards. It is not cowardly to not go to the assistance under these circumstances, people would be terrified. It is easier said than done to walk out and investigate after a shootout.

HiThere

Jan 31, 2014
The Pulga/ fleamarket at Les?place ("Vecinos") will be open this saturday as usual.
Chances are good that he will be back home by then.

I guess there are a lot of people who would like to see him.

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Been in to see Les today.

He has no medical insurance and will have a large bill to pay at CMC before his release in the next day or so.

The website, donatetoles, is legit, put up by his wife and daughter so please all donate something.