canadian missionary shot 9 times in cabarete

silkesmo

Jan 17, 2014
Taking 9 shots is impressive but...

Wow, 9x and he is still alive. Those Canadians are hard to kill. Cabarete is looking more and more dangerous. Usually not a good idea to resist armed Robbers unless you are carrying a concealed weapon and you are trained. With the increasing cost of ammunition it appears that criminals are not getting to the practice range. Double tap, center of mass, then run works for me

--
It's more likely to survive gun shots here. The majority of pistols that are out there are small calibers guns. If he was hit by 9 shots, that means that they had an semi-auto which was probably a .22 or at most a 9mm. Those really just **** you off more than kill you. They are lethal within 10-15 feet. It's the revolvers that you have to really worry about here.
But then again. No one trains on their weapons here. Aside from the military. I am actually surprised that there are not more accidental shootings here B/c of that fact.

May 5, 2007
--
It's more likely to survive gun shots here. The majority of pistols that are out there are small calibers guns. If he was hit by 9 shots, that means that they had an semi-auto which was probably a .22 or at most a 9mm. Those really just **** you off more than kill you. They are lethal within 10-15 feet. It's the revolvers that you have to really worry about here.
But then again. No one trains on their weapons here. Aside from the military. I am actually surprised that there are not more accidental shootings here B/c of that fact.

You must be talking about a 9mm from a different world, they will do a lot more than **** you off

To survive 9 hits from anything is nothing short of miraculous

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
oh, look. I hope this guy gets well soon.. And I hope that lots of folks contribute..

but there are lots of things that bug me here and first of course is WHY NO INSURANCE??? ok? ok? you live here for six years, and WORK here.. and have no insurance? why not?

and then.. yeeks.. these guys have guns.. ok. maybe there are lots of folks who are talking about how brave it is to go after him with a machete or a baseball bat.. but wait.. really.. GUNS.. so maybe it would have been better to not resist? Maybe that is instinct? I dunno. Only time I have faced guns they were military/ police so I do not know how I would react but seems to me the best reaction is to sit down, be quiet, and give them what they want.

Then the Missionary stuff... this really gets me. The 18 kids and chaparones are from a French school in Manitoba, who come down here for a week to "help" an orphanage. What do they do in a week? Do they speak Spanish? Are they buildiers? Or is this just a school trip under the guise of "humanitaire"... the kids were greated by oaychologists and social workers to help them over their trauma.. Des jeunes de la DSFM témoins d'une agression en République dominicaine de retour au Manitoba - Actualit?s - MSN CA and one of the leaders said that they have been coming back for the last four years.. and that is well known.. implying that they may have been the targets. Plus there was no security guard on the place which there was the year before.

Look, I have been guilty of the same kind of thinking.. it is good for the privileged to see the poor and get a grip on the state of things.

But unless this apartment manager was not paid a dime for his keeping these 18 students.. then, please, let us not start this fundraising as for a "Missionary" but just for another expat who was too dumb to buy insurance....

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Ok, i think we all agree what Les did was courageous beyond belief.

But here's a question: Once he was attacked and then left alone (i find that very hard to believe. Why leave him all alone? but Ok, even burglars can be stupid, but why would they leave a man alone who can then go get a gun!? get someone else with a gun, and get help!) why didn't he just run out to the street screaming for help? Screaming for someone to call the police? There are armed guards directly across the street from him at Cabarete East. If nothing else, they could have called the police for him, and the police would have gotten there 4 hours later...but they would have came non-the-less.

Scream for help, tell the guards across the street what's going down, then go back into the battle with your force field and invisible shield. But again, its easy to be an arm chair quarter back while sitting here on the beach drinking coffee.

Frank

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
--

Totally agree. 9mm sucks, but it is nothing compared to .357 or .44 revolver. Had that guy been hit 9 times by a Rev he would probably not be here. Revolvers are no joke.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Then the Missionary stuff... this really gets me. The 18 kids and chaparones are from a French school in Manitoba, who come down here for a week to "help" an orphanage. What do they do in a week? Do they speak Spanish? Are they buildiers? Or is this just a school trip under the guise of "humanitaire"... the kids were greated by oaychologists and social workers to help them over their trauma.. Des jeunes de la DSFM t?moins d'une agression en R?publique dominicaine*de retour au Manitoba - Actualit?s - MSN CA and one of the leaders said that they have been coming back for the last four years.. and that is well known.. implying that they may have been the targets. Plus there was no security guard on the place which there was the year before.

Look, I have been guilty of the same kind of thinking.. it is good for the privileged to see the poor and get a grip on the state of things.

But unless this apartment manager was not paid a dime for his keeping these 18 students.. then, please, let us not start this fundraising as for a "Missionary" but just for another expat who was too dumb to buy insurance....

I don't get the missionary/humanitarian work either. These foreigners never learn, you cannot and will not help Dominicans and Haitians. Art Tallow was another one who came here doing charity work and he got shot to, unlike this Canadian he did not survive. Dominicans and Haitians are poor as a result of their own actions and inaction. Foreign missionaries and aid worker will not help them and the locals will show their gratefulness by putting a few bullets in your chest. I haven't donated to squat since I moved here and never will.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Having spoken to quite a few locals about the incident, I can say that they are exactly as shocked and disgusted as we are and I was even surprised about the amount of compassion they showed. Les is their hero!

This is about criminals, not locals. They feel just as insecure and frightened as we do.

These criminals are a product of Dominican society. They are a malignant manifestation of the "its all about the money" mentality that is prevalent here. Dozens of foreigners are getting killed here, I just read about a German that got bludgeoned to death in Sosua, imagine that? Getting your brains bashed in until you die?

I mean foreigners get attacked here a lot to, it isn't just this Canadian, it is happening almost monthly. And the corrupt Dominican police won't do sht, until AFTER the smoke has cleared. Like it matters when the victim is lying in a pool of blood. The difference between me and these other expats though is that I don't come down here buying homes, opening bank accounts, marrying the local chicas, and doing all that stupid charity work. Am I the only one here who can see that Dominicans don't appreciate a damn thing that is done for them?

May 5, 2007
Totally agree. 9mm sucks, but it is nothing compared to .357 or .44 revolver. Had that guy been hit 9 times by a Rev he would probably not be here. Revolvers are no joke.

I don't know where you guys get your information from, but if you fire a .38 or .357 or 9mm from revolver and pistol with same length barrels, the pistol (Automatic) will deliver more force due to the fact it is a "sealed chamber" where the revolver has space between cylinder and barrel for pressure to escape

As far as 9mm being a joke, what in hell do you think most fatalities come from? The 9mm is standard issue for most military and police department in the western world

True, a .357 does hit harder than 9mm, a .44 only slightly more so (Maybe you meant to say .44 magnum?) up to a certain distance where it's velocity drops off. A 12 gauge or.50 BMG also hits harder than a 9mm but the 9mm Luger will kill you just as dead as any of them

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Dominican Insurance here for anyone is not expensive...we have coverage through Universal and pay 1200 US a year with 80/20 copay but usually they charge us only 10% if at all....we have 600US each toward prescriptions, dental and glasses....and we each have that coverage for the total of 1200US for both!

ROFL! Do you actually believe these insurance companies will cover you in the event you actually need them? You must have not read about what happened to one family that was vacationing here. Their 6 year old girl got sick with appendicitis, and the family had "insurance." Supposedly it covered them being able to fly the girl back to the states. Trouble is, the insurance company basically screwed them over and said they wouldn't help......so the family had the girl treated by a Dominican doctor.

The moron Dominican doctor gave the little girl too much anasthesia for the operation, and she basically died as a result of negligence. The Dominican doctor didn't get in trouble and now I think the family is suing their insurance provider. Insurance is a total scam read the article here folks!

6 year old American girl mistreated in Punta Cana hospital and dies :: Dominican Watchdog

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
ROFL! Do you actually believe these insurance companies will cover you in the event you actually need them? You must have not read about what happened to one family that was vacationing here. Their 6 year old girl got sick with appendicitis, and the family had "insurance." Supposedly it covered them being able to fly the girl back to the states. Trouble is, the insurance company basically screwed them over and said they wouldn't help......so the family had the girl treated by a Dominican doctor.

The moron Dominican doctor gave the little girl too much anasthesia for the operation, and she basically died as a result of negligence. The Dominican doctor didn't get in trouble and now I think the family is suing their insurance provider. Insurance is a total scam read the article here folks!

6 year old American girl mistreated in Punta Cana hospital and dies :: Dominican Watchdog

Um....excuse me...Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas is NOT a Dominican insurance provider. If the family's plan didn't cover them abroad they should have bought travel insurance which would have.Most of the travel sites sell ithat coverage for about $40 per trip and it does include "gap" coverage to get patients transported back into their coverage zones.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I don't know where you guys get your information from, but if you fire a .38 or .357 or 9mm from revolver and pistol with same length barrels, the pistol (Automatic) will deliver more force due to the fact it is a "sealed chamber" where the revolver has space between cylinder and barrel for pressure to escape

As far as 9mm being a joke, what in hell do you think most fatalities come from? The 9mm is standard issue for most military and police department in the western world

True, a .357 does hit harder than 9mm, a .44 only slightly more so (Maybe you meant to say .44 magnum?) up to a certain distance where it's velocity drops off. A 12 gauge or.50 BMG also hits harder than a 9mm but the 9mm Luger will kill you just as dead as any of them

I'm not a gun expert, I carried a .380 pistol back in the USA and I only took basic classes. However, I was told the .380 is basically a smaller version of 9mm and anything less than .380 was not recommended for self defense. I said the 9mm sucks but what I meant is getting shot by it sucks, not it being crappy. 9mm has been the standard for cops for years and that would not be the case if 9mm was crap. I certainly would not want to get shot by it(or any gun).

However I read that 9mm SMGs like the MP5 are falling out of favor with counter terrorist units due to increasing body armor that stops 9mm rounds.

Last edited:

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Um....excuse me...Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas is NOT a Dominican insurance provider. If the family's plan didn't cover them abroad they should have bought travel insurance which would have.Most of the travel sites sell ithat coverage for about $40 per trip and it does include "gap" coverage to get patients transported back into their coverage zones.

Screw all insurance, I don't trust any company, whether it is a Dominican provider or not. If you don't have the cash to take care of you and your family during an emergency you are vulnerable. You can never be sure these insurance companies will honor their word, all I know is this little girl is dead because their family though their insurance covered them and it didn't. I regard all insurance companies with suspicion.

I go without insurance, have done it for years. I'd rather risk it than trusting some insurance that screws me over when I actually need them after years of paying premiums. With the scams that are going on these days who can trust any insurance provider? Insurance is a scam because you are paying money in the expectation if you have an emergency the insurance company will help you......but what if they don't. They get your money NOW and all you get is a promise, one they may break. Sure you can sue but how long would it take to get the money(if you even win) and how would suing help in an emergency?

Last edited:

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
This Is about the msn who got shot and his recovery ...
Stop this BS .

I beg to differ with you. The subject of insurance is VERY relevant to this case. Not unlike our own Dark Scorpion the injured party in the case made the conscious choice not to buy insurance coverage. This is a rational act if one has no personal or family history of genetic illness predisposition or unhealthy lifestyle issues and finds it more effective to self insure. It makes perfect sence if one has the fiscal discipline to save for what they might eventually need rather than pay for what they don't and probably won't need with no chance in hell of getting their premium payments credited or returned.

Deciding to "self insure" is a personal decision which I think in most cases can be done quite successfully but if you guess wrong don't be putting up a web site asking me to cover your bad bet.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I beg to differ with you. The subject of insurance is VERY relevant to this case. Not unlike our own Dark Scorpion the injured party in the case made the conscious choice not to buy insurance coverage. This is a rational act if one has no personal or family history of genetic illness predisposition or unhealthy lifestyle issues and finds it more effective to self insure. It makes perfect sence if one has the fiscal discipline to save for what they might eventually need rather than pay for what they don't and probably won't need with no chance in hell of getting their premium payments credited or returned.

Deciding to "self insure" is a personal decision which I think in most cases can be done quite successfully but if you guess wrong don't be putting up a web site asking me to cover your bad bet.

Nice post; totally agree. I save and manage my finances well so I'm prepared for most emergencies unless it is something crazy like a bone marrow transplant. I just think insurance is a scam. Take life insurance. Why pay someone x amount of dollars per month when you can set aside your own money and place it in a will to cover your funeral costs? I mean of all the insurance out their life insurance is the biggest rip off. Anybody can set aside money for burial expenses.

And what happened to this Canadian guy could have happened to anyone. Who insures for "getting shot by random robbers?" I agree with you that self insurance carries some risks, but I'd much rather do that than paying an insurance company that turns on me and says "sorry!" when I finally need their help. I have to admit, insurance is a good business for those on the receiving end. I mean you get paid to offer a promise that you will help in a time of need, and then these companies have all there terms and fine print which most of their customers don't bother to read......I would never pay for insurance but that is a business I wouldn't mind owning. Having suckers pay me in the expectation I would help them if some hypothetical scenario appears....LOL I'd laugh all the way to the bank. And you can legally screw people by using fine print, stipulations, and razor sharp attorneys.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is a normal emergency procedure and it is classified as such. it means the treatment of the shooting victim will be covered up to the limits set by the insurer. it's not very complicated, really.

May 5, 2007
I'm not a gun expert, I carried a .380 pistol back in the USA and I only took basic classes. However, I was told the .380 is basically a smaller version of 9mm and anything less than .380 was not recommended for self defense. I said the 9mm sucks but what I meant is getting shot by it sucks, not it being crappy. 9mm has been the standard for cops for years and that would not be the case if 9mm was crap. I certainly would not want to get shot by it(or any gun).

However I read that 9mm SMGs like the MP5 are falling out of favor with counter terrorist units due to increasing body armor that stops 9mm rounds.

You are correct about .380, and .38. ,357 are all 38 caliber. It is the power in the cartridge that makes the difference. The.380 uses a lighter lead than the 9mm Luger and is slower. The .38 and .357 though the same caliber are similarly different, the .38 is a smaller slower piece of lead. To find the basic "stopping power" of a bullet I think the formula was to multiply the weight of the bullet times the velocity squared or similar, but the obvious factor involved is speed of bullet

As for the 9mm SMG, many LE and Military units are going to smaller caliber higher velocity rounds that will defeat the body armor many criminals are found to be wearing

More than you wanted to know

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
The Pulga/ fleamarket at Les?place ("Vecinos") will be open this saturday as usual.
Chances are good that he will be back home by then.

I guess there are a lot of people who would like to see him.

Thank you for this good news > so we will meet on saturday, 8th Feb. in "Vecinos" .

debinatore

Apr 6, 2006
The latest local news just finished their dinner time update.

1. The robbers were carrying zip ties.
2. The family are trying to raise $25,000 Cdn. AND to bring Les home for medical attention according to his daughter-in-law.

Just repeating the news.