dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pic resized to fit the screen:

ejj1a0.jpg

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
In about a week or so, 2 Jamaicans who have been living in Boca Chica for awhile now, James Palmer and Chef Brian Rattray are opening a new restaurant called "Little Jamaica".
The food that will be served will be authentic Jamaican cuisine such as curry goat/chicken, ox tail etc etc.
I've tried Brian's food before and I loved it!!!J
The restaurant is located on Dominguez 21, a block away from the park and half a block from la Duarte.
More info and pics will follow.

Don't like Jamaica, oh no, I love her, yeah..........................Jerk chicken and Red Stripe

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Just got word from James that they're open for take out. Thanksgiving the restaurant will be open.

For orders and info call 809-523-9306

Brian Rattray is long gone from that operation. he is now in Sosua at Swizzle. he was the chef, so i suggest you go there with reservation if you liked his stuff.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Brian isn't the only Jamaican chef on the island ;)
Why don't you go and try it out, let us know how it is.

i just mentioned that he had left in order to throw some light on the delay. the restaurant was to have started with him, but he got into some disagreement with the owner. from what i heard, he went to Jamaica to bring over another chef. Brian is hard work. he is a pastry chef by training, and i am not too sold on his cooking. his donuts might be good, though.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I'm glad they're up and running. I was disappointed in July but VOTB took good care of me and I was happy to see that they've gone the route of BnB with the rooms upstairs. I told you those Kids were sharp. Next time in BC I'm headed straight for Little JA.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The Dominican Republic is a great place to recover from an ulcer. The food is so bland that just about everything on the menu is safe to eat, yet another feather in its "medical tourism destination" cap.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The Dominican Republic is a great place to recover from an ulcer. The food is so bland that just about everything on the menu is safe to eat, yet another feather in its "medical tourism destination" cap.

LOL, but oh so true. I was putting some thoughts together of a reply to this thread but you beat me to it. "Bland" is the word.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Back to Little Jamaica Restaurant. Has anyone eaten there yet?

I was in Boca a few days ago. The restaurant had no sign on the outside to indicate it is a restaurant that is open. I peeked inside and saw no activity and this was mid day Saturday. I hope I am wrong but this place seems doomed before it gets started.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The last good Jamaican meal I had was at the 2012 Jerk Fest at Boston Bay, Port Antonio.
Has anyone tried the food at this new restraurant?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
The place is not closed, has never been open.

That explains a lot. I got tired of folks looking at me like I was crazy when asking about the joint. I made due with meals at Village on the Beach and have no complaints.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The place is not closed, has never been open.

these Jamaican guys who are trying to start these restaurants are a bunch of comedians. the guys in BC planned to start because they had Rattray. they had a falling out, and he split for Sosua, so the guys in BC went to Jamaica to get a chef. meanwhile, Rattray had some ideas for Sosua. he got the uncle of some guy to put up the money for Swizzle, with Rattray at the helm. Rattray wanted to do pastry, so he did an end around and got the kid to blow 100k on a Vulcan oven, meanwhile they were doing the food on a 2 burner stove. Rattray split, they brought two other chefs from Jamaica, neither of whom lasted 2 weeks. now Swizzle is up for sale. the financier has had enough of the antics.

no big loss....they were not too good, either.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wait. so... they are not open. but they have active FB, menu with prices, photos of food and a location. so... i don't get it... why are they not open and working?