"Little Jamaica" in Boca Chica

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Actually our last day we went next door to the place that used to be Darren's Portofino. Was pretty good and I dig the tiki type bar. . .

There were a few fun "events" @ Darren's, I remember a traveling salesman "Paco" used to ply his wares in there, LOL!

That guy Darren could talk, looked exactly like James Gandolfini (RIP).

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
There were a few fun "events" @ Darren's, I remember a traveling salesman "Paco" used to ply his wares in there, LOL!

That guy Darren could talk, looked exactly like James Gandolfini (RIP).

Darren was a character for sure. My first time there a dude bigger than me was trying to start a fight with us. I stayed cool and darren always apreciated my not kicking the guys ass as we would have done some serious damage to the place. My first beer was free each visit for like two years.
Yeah paco would come in on sat night we his product dressed to nines. I was always with either ex wife or ex GF and they found it amusing. . . . .

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Food any good?? Should be up and running by now.

I stopped by the restaurant last week and they were all set to roll with the exception of waiting for the electrical power company to come and do some final work. It is a pity the owners shell out cash to get a restaurant ready and end up waiting a couple weeks for the DR utility company to do some final work.

Possible I may do a day trip to Boca tomorrow and will report back.

Julian1

Jul 26, 2015
Boca Chica
Have to check Little Jamaica out my next trip in about two weeks .Hope you guys have the good oldies music my favorites from back in time I will travel with my own music tho just in case

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
If they play older tunes and the jerk is good it will have a vibe like scotchies in mobay. We were planning weekend in punta cana in two weeks but if they open and the jerk is good we may need to change plans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
In about a week or so, 2 Jamaicans who have been living in Boca Chica for awhile now, James Palmer and Chef Brian Rattray are opening a new restaurant called "Little Jamaica".
The food that will be served will be authentic Jamaican cuisine such as curry goat/chicken, ox tail etc etc.
I've tried Brian's food before and I loved it!!!
The restaurant is located on Dominguez 21, a block away from the park and half a block from la Duarte.
More info and pics will follow.

Frank or anyone else who knows, when is this restaurant going to open. I went to Boca Chica yesterday with anticipation of having some oxtails for lunch. Well over a month ago it looked like the restaurant was ready to open. Much to my disappointment the restaurant is STILL not open.

Sorry to say, but I think this restaurant is run out of business even before it opens. The opening and the location is a huge hurdle to jump over. Sadly to say they have not made the first step.................

Oh well, there is always gorgon for special orders.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Frank or anyone else who knows, when is this restaurant going to open. I went to Boca Chica yesterday with anticipation of having some oxtails for lunch. Well over a month ago it looked like the restaurant was ready to open. Much to my disappointment the restaurant is STILL not open.

Sorry to say, but I think this restaurant is run out of business even before it opens. The opening and the location is a huge hurdle to jump over. Sadly to say they have not made the first step.................

Oh well, there is always gorgon for special orders.

new goings on in POP

https://www.facebook.com/fattys.empanadas

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
James had to go back to Jamaica because of a death in the family, he should be back this weekend and then start openening.
It took a little longer than expected, well it's the DR ;)

Thanks Frank, maybe you can tell the owner to see if he can put a sign on the corner by the little colmado directing people to the restaurant. The location is good in one way and bad in another. Good because you are off the strip, bad because most tourists will never know it is there.

I ended up eating a really good club sandwich at Village on the Beach........

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was told James just got back and the place should be up and running soon

my suspicion is that there might be a chef problem. maybe he is trying to recruit one out of Jamaica, because i know that the original guy and James had a falling out, and that he went to set up a restaurant with another guy.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
their is alot of good cookin j;land....and of course by them...i was in a suburb of mo bay years ago and my first dinner there was super duper....i think because of that food i always was back in time for eating...
it was a private home////...

Julian1

Jul 26, 2015
Boca Chica
Ok I am passing thru in about two days Usually I hang out by Thaylor at Village he tells me he will be in Brasil . I will pass and give Mary at Boathouse a lookup maybe get a nice cold corona from her and then me and my little 11 year old queen will relax by Village for a few where she like her Virgin Pinas from ...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
their is alot of good cookin j;land....and of course by them...i was in a suburb of mo bay years ago and my first dinner there was super duper....i think because of that food i always was back in time for eating...
it was a private home////...

Jamaicans are the masters of seasoning. they use the same meats and vegetables that people here use, but the preparation is different. pollo guisado in the DR is nothing compared to Jamaican brown stew chicken. the other difference is that most Jamaican cooks have their own twist on a dish, like Americans do. if you eat carne guisado in Samana, then in Barahona, it tastes the same, because everyone cooks it exactly the same as the other guy.