Interpol Takes No Shyte.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I remember the days when tabloid journalism came onto the scene.
One of my friends, even had a job working in an tiny enclosed office in Montreal, and all she did was invent stories and present them to the editor.
NEWSFLASH NEWSFLASH NEWSFLASH
Nixon caught in a motel with Minnie Mouse.

Here in the DR, reality is weirder than anything they could invent for the tabloids.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
It would appear ex-Army and ex-police persons implicated

and current police were protecting them (this refers to the killers of the 2 bodies Rocky saw). Head of DNCD (country wide, not just the PP area) has ordered investigation into a Second Lieutenant, a Sergeant Major & a private. Meanwhile several Puerto Plata DNCD agents have been transferred. Not that that handles the issue, just spreads it around a bit. :ermm:

Puerto Plata Digital

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
On your posts you didn't mention about arrests, did this come from the papers? You mentioned 'Implication' & an 'Investigation' of three (announced by head of DNCD) is THAT now denied/discontinued?

Okay, OK!!! I'll go read it for myself!! Just thinking of those who do NOT read the Spanish papers!! ;) ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
On your posts you didn't mention about arrests, did this come from the papers? You mentioned 'Implication' & an 'Investigation' of three (announced by head of DNCD) is THAT now denied/discontinued?

Okay, OK!!! I'll go read it for myself!! Just thinking of those who do NOT read the Spanish papers!! ;) ~ Grahame.

Depends which paper you read...........lol. Listin says 2 of the DNCD were 'Detained, disarmed and sent to DNCD in Santo Domingo'. Is that 'arrested'? Probably. But that was what was denied in Hoy.

The story is that killers of 2 young men (dealers) at Urbanizacion Atlantica last Wednesday night were hidden by DNCD then smuggled out of Puerto Plata for Santiago in a DNCD vehicle for 200,000 pesos. So while one lot of police was looking for the killers, the others were smuggling them out of Dodge.
List?n Diario Digital - El peri?dico de los dominicanos

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The story is that killers of 2 young men (dealers) at Urbanizacion Atlantica last Wednesday night were hidden by DNCD then smuggled out of Puerto Plata for Santiago in a DNCD vehicle for 200,000 pesos. So while one lot of police was looking for the killers, the others were smuggling them out of Dodge.
Now THAT has GOT to be a top contender in the thread "Only in the DR"

I bet those 'protecting officers' won't be invited to the Christmas Party!!
Oh, hang on - they might be paying for it!@!@! Anyway, just remembered that is 11 months away & all will be forgotten by then! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Cast your minds back to 22nd January post 111 where there was a report in El Nacional that the Ceballos family plaint had been declared inadmissable and thus not allowed.
El Nacional, la voz de todos

Well, according to a piece in today's El Nuevo Diario (scroll down to final paragraph) Attorney General says they are awaiting the decision of the Supreme Court re family plaint against 2 SD Fiscals.
El Nuevo Diario

So maybe Ceballos family appealed the inadmissability decision?

Attorney General is getting a lot of stick after his 'red alert' for Puerto Plata announcement. I particularly liked El Faro's editorial: it talks about projection of blame from those responsible to those not responsible & it also talks about sponsorship or patronage of narcocrime by official sectors.
.: Peri?dico El Faro?Edici?n Digital :.

So at long last what most citizens know is finally being written about.

And remember the 2 DNCD officers allegedly involved in smuggling out of Puerto Plata the killers of the bodies found at Urbanizacion Atlantica, in January?

List?n Diario Digital - El peri?dico de los dominicanos

I was writing the news for a local radio station at the weekend and happened to comment on how very quiet it seemed to have gone as to any news about what happened to these 2 DNCD men. Like nada in the press for 3 weeks approx. Well, bingo :) . Today in Puerto Plata Digital comes news that Attorney General has ordered PP Fiscal to begin process for arrest order.
Puerto Plata Digital

We will not be so churlish as to enquire why this would be necessary. These DNCD officials were disarmed, apprehended and taken to SD for investigation, as itemised above. And then what? Released? ;) Let us just be grateful that Red Alert has become Red Face................. The two officials one a Captain, the other a First Lieutenant are named in the PP Digital piece. The Captain (now fired) was in charge of operations so it sounds suspiciously like he was the guy in charge of catching the killers the night the Urb. Atlantica two were killed. No wonder he was able to detail his men elsewhere while he smuggled the two alleged killers out of town................

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Remember Manuel Noriega? Due for release in September...........
There are those who feel he won't return to Panama because of outstanding charges/terms of imprisonment. There are some who feel he'll come here because of his daughter.
Noriega's return to Panama ruled out

On this one scroll down a bit:
Sirias, Will General Noriega return to Panama?

With reference to the above post back in January looks like Noriega HAS now asked to come here to DR on his release............
Manuel Ant. Noriega solicitó vivir en RD tras su puesta en libertad - Diario Horizonte - Noticias Dominicanas - Quisqueya

Should feel at home given recent events here...........not that this has anything to do with death of Fiscal, but I thought I'd put it here since the post on this subject was in this thread.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Supreme Court decision

The Supreme Court has decided not to hear the plaint of the Ceballos family. I'm assuming this decision was made as a result of an appeal against earlier decision of AG's office not to admit the plaint (see post 147).
El Nuevo Diario

As far as I'm aware this was their last recourse. I don't think there is anywhere else they can take it (legally, I mean) after a rejection by Supreme Court.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The Supreme Court has decided not to hear the plaint of the Ceballos family. I'm assuming this decision was made as a result of an appeal against earlier decision of AG's office not to admit the plaint (see post 147).
El Nuevo Diario

As far as I'm aware this was their last recourse. I don't think there is anywhere else they can take it (legally, I mean) after a rejection by Supreme Court.
Well that sux, big time....

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Well that sux, big time....

And so does this. Some of the evidence in a number of the unsolved north coast murders was....ahem........stolen from the Fiscal's office in the new Puerto Plata courthouse. Court documents, statements, bullet casings, money etc. Looks like it happened Thursday night.
.: Periódico El Faro • Edición Digital :.

Looks like there is a real determination that some cases will not be successfully prosecuted. Or at least a strong message being sent..........

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
And so does this. Some of the evidence in a number of the unsolved north coast murders was....ahem........stolen from the Fiscal's office in the new Puerto Plata courthouse. Court documents, statements, bullet casings, money etc. Looks like it happened Thursday night.
.: Periódico El Faro • Edición Digital :.

Looks like there is a real determination that some cases will not be successfully prosecuted. Or at least a strong message being sent..........
Pretty hard to prosecute without any evidence.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You will recall that the Ceballos family plaint was turned down by the Supreme Court on March 12th. They appealled against that decision. The appeal was heard by the Supreme Court last Thursday, May 17th. Once again, it was turned down.

The national papers seem to have missed this. There is an article in today's print version of El Faro, edition 1294, on page 14. Can't give the link because El Faro haven't updated their online version since the beginning of the month. It might be in Puerto Plata Digital but I have a problem accessing that, both in IE & Mozilla. If anyone finds a link, please post it here.

Strange that I haven't been abe to find it in any of the national papers.

Does anyone know how many appeals to SCJ are allowed? Can you appeal the rejection of an appeal?

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Dry

Seems to me that regardless of what is actually the rule of law, cases stop or don't stop depending solely on remaining resources or the lack thereof, whether those resources be contacts or pesos.......but you and L know that well. The family probably ran out of resources of all kinds, thus, not even press coverage.
Or the perps had more resources than the victim.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Family and friends of the dead Fiscal will be marching through Sosua on Friday 23rd. - the anniversary of his death in 2006. They are demanding that those responsible for the death be brought to justice.
Puerto Plata Digital

One year already. Incredible, seems like yesterday. Good work Lambada for following the story for so long.