Juan Dolio - South Beach of the Caribbean !!!

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Being employed by Metro at that time I was also a bit involved in that project where Greg Norman was gonna do the golfcourse and Chris Evert was in charge of the tennis center.
I was the one who handed out 54 Rolex watches to the founders of Costa Blanca during the inauguration as a gift from Metro.
Then the crisis hit and it was all abandoned from what I know.
From what I heard Assilis tried to get Russians involved who were building the Mariposa building on the way from JD to SPDM but that didn't turn out well apparently.

I passed there 4 days ago. There is work resuming on the Mariposa.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
UPDATE: NOV 8 2018

Duquesa arbitration to be heard at Uncitral tribunal
A United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) tribunal has begun hearing a Jamaican billionaire’s US$300 million treaty claim against the Dominican Republic concerning the seizure of a landfill site.

On 19 December 2017, Jamaican national Michael Lee-Chin served the Dominican Republic government with a notice of intent to arbitrate under the Caribbean Community-Dominican Republic Free Trade Agreement (CARICOM-DR FTA) over alleged treaty breaches concerning the management concession agreement for the Duquesa landfill in northern Santo Domingo, the main dump for garbage from a population of around 3 million people that live in Greater Santo Domingo.

Lee-Chin claims that the Dominican Republic expropriated his investment in Duquesa, because the Municipality failed to abide by the concession agreement and apply the biannual increases to the tipping fees chargeable to the users for the disposal of the waste and the energy generated by the plant, and, ultimately, because on 27 September 2017 the High Administrative Court (TSA) divested Lajún Corporation from the management of the Duquesa landfill, pending the decision on the breach of the concession agreement.

On the other hand, the Santo Domingo North Municipality asserts that Lajún Corporation was not fulfilling its obligations under the concession agreement, causing environmental harms and jeopardizing the public health of the community living in Greater Santo Domingo. That is why the City Council of Santo Domingo North authorized Mayor René Polanco, to take Lajún Corporation to the High Administrative Court to terminate the agreement for noncomplying with it.

The Ministry of Environment of the Dominican Republic also intervened in the case.

The case also involves Dominican businessman Luis Jose Asilis, representative of Wilkison Company that has 25% of the shares of the landfill.

http://arbitrationblog.kluwerarbitra...r/?print=print
https://www.diariolibre.com/actualid...lis-BN10598955
https://www.diariolibre.com/actualid...ales-KE8152491

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Being employed by Metro at that time I was also a bit involved in that project where Greg Norman was gonna do the golfcourse and Chris Evert was in charge of the tennis center.
I was the one who handed out 54 Rolex watches to the founders of Costa Blanca during the inauguration as a gift from Metro.
Then the crisis hit and it was all abandoned from what I know.
From what I heard Assilis tried to get Russians involved who were building the Mariposa building on the way from JD to SPDM but that didn't turn out well apparently.

a bit of an update on costa blanca project, now to be called proyecto terra" and on the infrastructure planned for boca chica:
https://www.elcaribe.com.do/2018/11...rra-impactara-el-turismo-local-de-boca-chica/

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
a bit of an update on costa blanca project, now to be called proyecto terra" and on the infrastructure planned for boca chica:
https://www.elcaribe.com.do/2018/11...rra-impactara-el-turismo-local-de-boca-chica/

Man, how many hundredes of times over the years have I traveled that beach from the Andres Marina to Boca Chica and wondered why nothing has ever happened there.

I'd love to see something productive happen to all of that land.

Also further west of Andres the old houses used by Ingenio management now wasting away.

So much attractive real estate.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

This is not the Costa Blanca I was talking about. The one I was talking about is at the entrance of San Pedro de Macoris, this one is between Andres and Boca Chica.

The following project which is located in the same area had problems with the Vicini's because it was build but not really finished. This was 4 years ago maybe somebody has better info on it.
http://dreamvillage.do/

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
This is not the Costa Blanca I was talking about. The one I was talking about is at the entrance of San Pedro de Macoris, this one is between Andres and Boca Chica.

The following project which is located in the same area had problems with the Vicini's because it was build but not really finished. This was 4 years ago maybe somebody has better info on it.
http://dreamvillage.do/

colour me confused :paranoid:

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Haha This thread. So how again is it the South Beach of the Caribbean? There are some negatives about South Beach so maybe it’s that.

Nadie21

Jun 3, 2021
Santa Clarita
Haha This thread. So how again is it the South Beach of the Caribbean? There are some negatives about South Beach so maybe it’s that.
Have u been to South Beach? Truly a fabulous spot to visit and enjoy. The beach, the restaurants and, of course the charming old boutique hotels (don’t think a dominican would ever know to appreciate it - something not glitzy. Plus the super chic hotels there.)Know what I mean? Not an A1 hodgepodge. Not looking to sell the place (and after covid). But just to share that it is a wonderful destination and has a gorgeous beach.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Have u been to South Beach? Truly a fabulous spot to visit and enjoy. The beach, the restaurants and, of course the charming old boutique hotels (don’t think a dominican would ever know to appreciate it - something not glitzy. Plus the super chic hotels there.)Know what I mean? Not an A1 hodgepodge. Not looking to sell the place (and after covid). But just to share that it is a wonderful destination and has a gorgeous beach.
Yes I have been to South Beach. It was about this thread and wondering why it got restarted. When Juan Dolio never became like South Beach.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Mano: Do you like anything about this country besides the cold beer and hot wiminz?
Well the beer sucks. Samana has beautiful beaches, best in the country. I do like Dicks bakery and the German place here in Cab. Some of the countryside is beautiful if you can venture in armed. Sometimes the morning coffee with sunrise and palm trees is great... until the wheelie popping and neighbors screaming across the wall starts. Thanks Tío for reminding me to do my gratitude list each day.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Your boy Reneiri sure thinks so
They would have to change some policies. I would think they would have to bring in most staff. So it’s about moving to Punta Cana to work and live in the sun. I guess this belongs in another thread. Or in no thread. Best to shut up lol.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
They would have to change some policies. I would think they would have to bring in most staff. So it’s about moving to Punta Cana to work and live in the sun. I guess this belongs in another thread. Or in no thread. Best to shut up lol.
There is a DR1 thread on this. From the daily news articles. You can do a search.

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
There is a DR1 thread on this. From the daily news articles. You can do a search.
yes I posted on there. I think It’s about moving to paradise with a business and relocating staff there. So PC can rent out office space and rent out and sell real estate. So it’s about real estate again. and creating some jobs.