When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Tourism is very important for the economy in Greece and they will be re-opening soon for foreign tourists. At first, people from the worst affected countries (probably places like USA, Brazil, Russia, UK etc) will not be allowed to enter. Seems like a pretty good model for the DR to follow to me.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Tourism is very important for the economy in Greece and they will be re-opening soon for foreign tourists. At first, people from the worst affected countries (probably places like USA, Brazil, Russia, UK etc) will not be allowed to enter. Seems like a pretty good model for the DR to follow to me.
yes and no.
i would guess(But i do NOT KNow) that the orime number of guests for Greece are not US americans and Brazilians.
as for the DR, exactly those countries are the prime part of the cake.
if i take it for my own business, they are:
fishing, us americans, canadians, UK visitors, in that order as for %% of guests over the last years.
excursions, specially my smallest groups(max 10 guests)shared and all sizes full private Saona Tour,
it is UK, Canadian and US Visitors in more or less equally shared %% of visitors.
for example,
if the DR reopens but leave's USand UK Visitors out,
then i could not run anything profitable at all.
but thats my personal opinion and only seen under my own personal business point of view.
i know, that i am with my always smallest groupsand private groups running tours/activities, Not reprensentative for the usual/typical large number of guests cramped together tours sold by the big touroperators.

Reactions: Africaida

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
interesting article about the reopening of tourism/airports etc.
btw,
for the one who fought so tough that the PC Airport would have suggerated borders would reopen July 1st.
right here Paola Rainieri names July 5th 2020 as the reopening date set by the DR Government.
but somealways know better how to misinterpret stuff into not said things, lol.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
yes and no.
i would guess(But i do NOT KNow) that the orime number of guests for Greece are not US americans and Brazilians.
as for the DR, exactly those countries are the prime part of the cake.
if i take it for my own business, they are:
fishing, us americans, canadians, UK visitors, in that order as for %% of guests over the last years.
excursions, specially my smallest groups(max 10 guests)shared and all sizes full private Saona Tour,
it is UK, Canadian and US Visitors in more or less equally shared %% of visitors.
for example,
if the DR reopens but leave's USand UK Visitors out,
then i could not run anything profitable at all.
but thats my personal opinion and only seen under my own personal business point of view.
i know, that i am with my always smallest groupsand private groups running tours/activities, Not reprensentative for the usual/typical large number of guests cramped together tours sold by the big touroperators.

Exactly, totally different market. Right now, Greece is battling country like Portugal/italy/Spain to save its summer season. Their primary market is Europeans.

Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Exactly, totally different market. Right now, Greece is battling country like Portugal/italy/Spain to save its summer season. Their primary market is Europeans.
right,
and ther primary market seems to be exactly the european countries who been most hit by covid, Italy and Spain.
so they are in a similar situation(with differnt markets/locations,
as for teh DR teh US and Brazilian markets are big, and the same time both are the worst oout of all visiting countries.
so to me, this show's that the "safety concerns" already went 2nd place to all other points.
and i dont complain about this, as it is a way to go, in my opinion.
what would a reopening be worth if the DR would let in only visitors from Germany,Austria, Polinesia and Madagaskar?
they wouldnt fill 5% of any to be reopened hotel categories and would not safe most of the fleddered airlines of the mrket.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yes, but I think you're missing my point. Of course the markets for Greece and the DR are different, but for both countries the point is the same - opening up gradually to the safest countries first helps bring in the tourist dollars with the minimum risk. Gradually open up to all countries. A good example of a safer country is Canada from where a lot of people visit the DR. Why not open to countries like them first? If hotels think it's not worth it, they are not forced to open.

And I have to declare an interest here - while opening up to countries like Canada may not help Mr Fisher's business, 90% of my clients here in the DR are Canadians!

Reactions: slowmo

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
People who did not even HAVE Corona Virus , talking about it as if they are experts on the Topic..
perfect .

Social Distancing is a MYTH.. it absolutely does not do anything other than DELAY the eventual , ,which is that 100% of the population will be exposed to Covid 19 ... there is a Zero probability that you will not be exposed to it .
Touching surfaces and getting infected , CDC just admitted this is also a MYTH.. this is not how it spreads .

Keep repeating what you watch on the MSM ...and stay ignorant

What makes you supremely informed and others you refer to ignorant?

The sole purpose of distancing is to manage the spread of the virus, so that hospitals can cope and treat and to diminish a sharp increase of deaths.
Ask yourself why cases and death rates are high in the US, UK, Russia and Brazil.
It should be clear that hospitals in NY, UK and Brazil were overwhelmed at the peak, Brazil and Russia are developing stories.
The virus does not know National borders.

Even Sweden without a lock down is far from reaching a 60 % heard immunity.
Estimates are that in late April that sampling and modelling data indicated that about 20% of Stockholm's population is already immune to the virus.

LATIN AMERICABrazil’s Nurses Are Dying as Covid-19 Overwhelms Hospitals
Medical staff lack equipment and are struggling against the coronavirus pandemic, as the government plays down the contagion wsj.com

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Yes, but I think you're missing my point. Of course the markets for Greece and the DR are different, but for both countries the point is the same - opening up gradually to the safest countries first helps bring in the tourist dollars with the minimum risk. Gradually open up to all countries. A good example of a safer country is Canada from where a lot of people visit the DR. Why not open to countries like them first? If hotels think it's not worth it, they are not forced to open.

And I have to declare an interest here - while opening up to countries like Canada may not help Mr Fisher's business, 90% of my clients here in the DR are Canadians!
i understood your point.
but I see it running the opposite.
teh DR may leave out Brazil on opening day, but not the USA.
and Greece will not leave out Italy and Spain.so both will start up including opening towards the worst countries of their areas.
not written in stone, this is just my personal take on things reading through the daily news and regulations and ideas etc.
agreed,
Canadians are a big part of our market and compared to the others could be marked as "safer", but nothing/country is really Safe.
btw,
my Canuck firends and customers hold a very significant part of my clientel%%%.
on excursions they rank on top with UK visitors,
on my fishing charters they rank 2nd to the USA clientel.
I am personally pretty sure we will see all of them allowed to visit on the first border opening,
with UK visitors on the edge due their own government, as it is unclear if the UK will allow their citizens to travel abroad any time soon.
for Canadians it is also not clear if/when citizens will be allowed again to travel down south to tropical pastures.
all such factors out in the air, still.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
What makes you supremely informed and others you refer to ignorant?

The sole purpose of distancing is to manage the spread of the virus, so that hospitals can cope and treat and to diminish a sharp increase of deaths.
Ask yourself why cases and death rates are high in the US, UK, Russia and Brazil.
It should be clear that hospitals in NY, UK and Brazil were overwhelmed at the peak, Brazil and Russia are developing stories.
The virus does not know National borders.

Even Sweden without a lock down is far from reaching a 60 % heard immunity.
Estimates are that in late April that sampling and modelling data indicated that about 20% of Stockholm's population is already immune to the virus.

LATIN AMERICABrazil’s Nurses Are Dying as Covid-19 Overwhelms Hospitals
Medical staff lack equipment and are struggling against the coronavirus pandemic, as the government plays down the contagion wsj.com

As a "brainwashed" who apparently watch a lot of fake news :rolleyes:, I gave up arguing with the "informed".

It gives me flashback to 9/11 when people argued with me that the towers didn't fall when I saw them from my own eyes.

Nothing will change their minds, they are the only one with critical thinking and everyone else are just sheeps, so there can't be no discussion with ignorant commoners.

You are wasting your time.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010

I don't disagree on your comment.
However Airlines profits and personal safety for travellers will be concerns.

And yet Air Canada, WestJet , Air Transat, Sunwings don't yet have flights.
POP is closed.
Profitability of flights a concern for airlines, including grounded Boeing 737 Max8 in Canada which are frequently used for flights to the DR.
AC 24 737 MAX 8 planes parked, WS 13 737MAX 8 planes parked.

Canadian and US borders are still closed.
Canada will be reluctant to anger big brother US, likely border openings will be agreed upon by both in time.
A self quarantine of two weeks for returning Canadians may also imposed.
Travellers may also get stuck in the DR on short notice, depending on circumstances.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mandatory quarantine for travellers entering Canada
When you arrive in Canada by air or land, we assess your health before you leave the port of entry. If you're exempt from the travel restrictions, you must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada.
===============================================
Canada had asked to extend the border closure

Jan 9, 2004
August...................but who will come with a mandatory self quarantine in place? And who of those coming............will actually self quarantine?

Look at the July tourist numbers from last year........they are the best of all the summer months..........because of Dominicans returning with their children after school gets out...............and a majority of them are likely from NYC.............the current COVID-19 capital of the world.

Those are but some of the current questions/concerns occupying the powers that be in the Health Ministry.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2.

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
I don't disagree on your comment.
However Airlines profits and personal safety for travellers will be concerns.

And yet Air Canada, WestJet , Air Transat, Sunwings don't yet have flights.
POP is closed.
Profitability of flights a concern for airlines, including grounded Boeing 737 Max8 in Canada which are frequently used for flights to the DR.
AC 24 737 MAX 8 planes parked, WS 13 737MAX 8 planes parked.

Canadian and US borders are still closed.
Canada will be reluctant to anger big brother US, likely border openings will be agreed upon by both in time.
A self quarantine of two weeks for returning Canadians may also imposed.
Travellers may also get stuck in the DR on short notice, depending on circumstances.

Air Canada has announced flights as of early July. Limited to once/week from Montreal to PUJ. POP they announced once/week from Montreal starting Sept.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
As a "brainwashed" who apparently watch a lot of fake news :rolleyes:, I gave up arguing with the "informed".

It gives me flashback to 9/11 when people argued with me that the towers didn't fall when I saw them from my own eyes.

Nothing will change their minds, they are the only one with critical thinking and everyone else are just sheeps, so there can't be no discussion with ignorant commoners.

Facts and truth including science seem to be of no concern to some.
Yet when sick, they do run to science, hospitals, doctors and nurses hoping to be helped and cured.

The fast changing/moving world, science, technology, economies is sure to overwhelm many unable to comprehend what is happening.

It is not surprising that they seek comfort in easy to understand conspiracy theories, blaming easily identifiable fictional enemies.
Political leaders also like to use these methods to further their persona political interests.
As the world turns, people have to use their intellect to discern facts and truth in order to live well.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Facts and truth including science seem to be of no concern to some.
Yet when sick, they do run to science, hospitals, doctors and nurses hoping to be helped and cured.

The fast changing/moving world, science, technology, economies is sure to overwhelm many unable to comprehend what is happening.

It is not surprising that they seek comfort in easy to understand conspiracy theories, blaming easily identifiable fictional enemies.
Political leaders also like to use these methods to further their persona political interests.
As the world turns, people have to use their intellect to discern facts and truth in order to live well.
pot meet kettle

Reactions: cavok

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Is this fake news? https://www.npr.org/2020/05/07/8517...n-most-without-treating-any-covid-19-patients

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
As a
i guess NYC could have make use of some, sending citizens there for better treatment/giving relief to quiet busy hospitals and staff there.
looks like misplanning or planning at the wrong locations?

NYC is a great example of how not to do things. I wouldn't live in that toilet for all the money in the world. I can't even stand to visit.

Reactions: Clandestino and Big

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
The reality is that until countries relax the quarantine requirements, flights won't be coming any time soon with any regular frequency.

For example, from 8th June, any passenger arriving into the UK other than from Ireland, Channel Islands or Isle of Man, will have to do a mandatory 14 day self quarantine. You register where you will be in self isolation and the police will be doing random checks at your registered address. If you're not there when they show up, it's a £1000 fine.

For those who want two weeks in the sun, it's going to cost them four weeks off.

Status
Not open for further replies.