US goverment warns against travel to DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
I see. The US is helping quite a bit by issuing do not travel advisories while simultaneously being the global leaders in infections and number of death. On the bright side they are #1.

On a serious note, why be in such a panic? By all accounts a vaccine will not be available for mass distribution within the next two years or so. At one point or another, and with very few exceptions, most of us will get infected. Why antagonize our souls with something that we have little control over? Of course we can choose to isolate ourselves until the end of time but I don't think being recluse indefinitely is a practical solution. Even if we were to subject ourself to such torcher, we could still get infected by any member of our household that interacts with the outside world. It's catch 22.

What we should be do is take a page out of Sweden's play book. They didn't close their country down like others did and they are really close to zero death per day now. Yes they had an initial high mortality rate but It appears they have achieved herd immunity or are close to it. Ironically, the experts that have been wrong about everything CV19 say that this shouldn't be taken as a success. I suppose more fear mongering by the lame stream media will be forthcoming.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is a global pandemic. So the US is saying to its citizens. We can help you in the US but not abroad.
How is that different from normal times? Does the US Embassy helps its citizens when they need it most? I don't think so. Its not just the US Embassy, but embassies from everywhere. Other than giving visas to Dominicans, it appears to me that the US Embassy in Santo Domingo is quite useless to its own people. You get in trouble while in the DR thinking the US Embassy will come to your rescue and you're in for a big surprise.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
How is that different from normal times? Does the US Embassy helps its citizens when they need it most? I don't think so. Its not just the US Embassy, but embassies from everywhere. Other than giving visas to Dominicans, it appears to me that the US Embassy in Santo Domingo is quite useless to its own people. You get in trouble while in the DR thinking the US Embassy will come to your rescue and you're in for a big surprise.
I really don’t know but that message from the US embassy does not make it sound very appealing regarding travel to the DR. I am Danish so I don’t know how it normally is.

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019

I for one would not be surprised..........but i have extremely low expectations..

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
NotLurking What we should be do is take a page out of Sweden's play book. They didn't close their country down like others did and they are really close to zero death per day now. Yes they had an initial high mortality rate but It appears they have achieved herd immunity or are close to it. Ironically said:
[/URL]

Before "you take a page out" read the entire article. Go beyond the bait and click headline and read to the very last sentence. I think you will conclude there really is no new advise, plan or "page" we haven't read before.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
US Embassies are pretty much non-helpful in general, the Embassy in Santo Domingo was completely useless for passport renewal, 100+ days to have it back in hand, NEVER AGAIN. On a side note, I've found that US counsular offices of the Emabassies are much more friendly & helpful, when help is needed.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I don't know why DR newspaper(s) are reporting this now. The same level 4 advisory has been in effect since March 31, 2020. For all international travel. The advisory is for U.S. citizens. The embassy page says updated 10 July. But the advisory is not new.

covid-19-information

maybe because now the airports are open. On my flight, I was the only gringo.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
"In some ways, the decisions they made were based on how they assessed the evidence at the time. And other countries decided to be more aggressive and sadly the more aggressive approach turned out to be the more appropriate one."
I read that article and did not come to the same conclusion as you, it concludes:
Care to share your conclusion based on this biased article. My point was that the MSM will play down Sweden's success and ramp up any negatives. And of course the "experts" will all disagree with Sweden's approach.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Care to share your conclusion based on this biased article. My point was that the MSM will play down Sweden's success and ramp up any negatives. And of course the "experts" will all disagree with Sweden's approach.
That was the conclusion I quoted from the article.Did you read it

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Before "you take a page out" read the entire article. Go beyond the bait and click headline and read to the very last sentence. I think you will conclude there really is no new advise, plan or "page" we haven't read before.
My aren't we quick to judge and be condescending. Perhaps to your surprise, I did read the article to the very end and I disagree with most of it. I posted it to illustrate that MSM will see Sweden's approach as negative. I do not. I don't think societies should institute policies or measures that basically ruins it to save those that are on the road to perish relatively soon anyway. Again, In my view, Sweden did the right thing. The older segment of the population died in greater numbers, but show me where extreme lock down have caused this to not be true. We are crippling a whole country for very little guarantee that the high risk among us will survive. Those with severe medical conditions, amplified by old age, are at very high risk of dying from CV19 and no amount of lock down of the general population will change that. It is asinine to force the vibrant young and healthy of a society to sacrifice their livelihood for very little return. Again, lets do what Sweden did. Lets let everyone decide the level of isolation they require or decide they need. Those in high risk group can seclude themselves until the end of time. Note I'm in the extremely vulnerable segment of the population both in health and age.

For some perspective Sweden's population is ~ 10.2 million and actual total death from CV19 is currently 5,526. When all is said and done it might be about 7,000 but for argument sake say it's 10,000. All this noise for ~0.01% of the population that most likely many, if not most, were on there way to meet their creator.

Those of advanced age are the ones that have perished in greater numbers from CV19 the world over. Here's a simple from the US CDC where lock down were enforced in most cities. Cities like NYC where lock down was extreme had very high death from their older population. For comparison the population of Pennsylvania is similar in population to Sweden and lock down were enforced but they did worst than Sweden.
3.png

1.png

2.png

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Nobody is reading those advisories, every flight to the DR from the USA is as full as they will let those flights go. every last one of them is full
From MIA to POP American flights are almost full through Friday, but plenty of seats after that. Pretty much the same with MIA to SDQ.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
That was the conclusion I quoted from the article.Did you read it
You quote an opinion from the article and don't state that your agree or that this is also your conclusion and you want me to assume that this is the same exact conclusion you reached. Yeah sure,. ok roger that

You said you reached a different conclusion than me but you did not elaborate. I was interested in learning your prospective, guess I will now need to read mind or at least try to. I wonder why everyone is so condescending here. Can we have honest discourse without assuming the worst in people? I've been accused of not reading twice in this thread. Can we perhaps try to assume that others just don't see things the same way as you do?

Reactions: 1greasy

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Nobody is reading those advisories, every flight to the DR from the USA is as full as they will let those flights go. every last one of them is full
The last one in March was posted here on dr1 and it sounded more standard. This last one sounds more specific and mentions the strain on the health care system. I am taking note. Sounds like next level is saying no travel to and from the DR.

Reactions: NotLurking

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
You quote an opinion from the article and don't state that your agree or that this is also your conclusion and you want me to assume that this is the same exact conclusion you reached. Yeah sure,. ok roger that

You said you reached a different conclusion than me but you did not elaborate. I was interested in learning your prospective, guess I will now need to read mind or at least try to. I wonder why everyone is so condescending here. Can we have honest discourse without assuming the worst in people? I've been accused of not reading twice in this thread. Can we perhaps try to assume that others just don't see things the same way as you do?
Count me out of the two that accused you. I didn't nothing of the sort. And how did I assume the worst in you? Very touchy is what I NOW assume.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010

This is the view of Swedish chief epidemiologist. I guess we will have to wait until this pandemic is over to see which approach was best.

It is a bit of topic for this thread, I don't want to get banned for carrying on this discussion of Sweden

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Just heard of new guidelines coming out about a form that one needs to sign before existing JFK and LGA. If you are coming from a designated area you need to go to quarantine. Family member just notified me. Thats all I know

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Count me out of the two that accused you. I didn't nothing of the sort. And how did I assume the worst in you? Very touchy is what I NOW assume.
I must be mistaken then. I thought this was you. It isn't?
Please explain what this means like I'm a five year old to be sure I understand "read the entire article." While you're at it, please explain this too, "Go beyond the bait and click headline and read to the very last sentence." Waiting patiently....

TIA

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Just heard of new guidelines coming out about a form that one needs to sign before existing JFK and LGA. If you are coming from a designated area you need to go to quarantine. Family member just notified me. Thats all I know
I think this is coming all over. On another thread we learned about in the UK that they track people in quarantine. In early march before the DR national emergency I talked to a friend in Denmark. She had been on a flight back to Denmark. I think from England. The health authorities called her at home and said someone who sat near her had been tested positive for the coronavirus and she was told to quarantine.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
This is the view of Swedish chief epidemiologist. I guess we will have to wait until this pandemic is over to see which approach was best.

It is a bit of topic for this thread, I don't want to get banned for carrying on this discussion of Sweden
Agreed we can pick this up another time in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.