Next minister of Interior & Police says government will apply the law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
There are hundreds of thousands of persons who view General Migration Law 285-04 on an every day, or very frequent basis.
These range from RD and Haitian government officials, RD and Haitian nationals, the United Nations, international human rights organizations, and all those affiliated with the prior mentioned......so forth and so on. Hundreds of thousands of people.
There are 2 DR1 community members who believe it applies, or should to those who overstay 30 day tourist cards.
Take from this, what you wish. Enjoy your afternoon, as you so see fit.

Reactions: Lobo Tropical

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was responding to the people who said you were illegal when you return. That's complete hogwash
I guess some people will never understand the subtlety involved.
Paying the fee did not make your overstay legal. What happens from here on in with the new government saying they will
enforce the laws will be seen eventually.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
To further complicate this discussion. I have an experience to recount.

I entered the DR several times with a visa de cortesía valid for a year. Unfortunately, during one of those trips, my older brother died 35 days after my arrival and I returned to the US for his funeral. At SDQ I was charged an overstay fee for a tourist card I never had because I had a valid full-year visa.

It appears that there is little logical thought applied to many immigration issues. I would be tempted to think that it was about the cash that could find its way into a pocket, but I was given a receipt. No one has ever been able to explain why i was charged as an overstayer in that situation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is no mention in the law pursuant to the overstay fee when you exit either.

Again, a parallel law with printed overstay fees PUBLISHED BY THE GOVERNMENT and displayed at all of the airports.

COMPLETELY LEGAL.
It is not a "parallel law" . The PLD created regulations, which include the overstay fees, regulations that are outside of the law.
That is how the PLD has avoided enforcing the law, by making up their own rules. Did you not read the OP?

Reactions: GusFring

user123

Aug 16, 2017
I kinda wish they'd scrap the overstay fee thing, maybe that would force me to explore other islands instead of coming back to "comfort-zone" DR year after year :)

• Sad
Reactions: GusFring and slowmo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If Migracion decides to tighten up....
I can't wait to hear the screaming

They can't do that to me... I'll never come back....
they'll lose a lot of money....

Personally, I hoping for a better system for longer stays
The current 15 or 30 days seems to be designed for a typical tourist..... 7 - 14 days in an AI

The other visitors are such a small group they have attracted no attention ----- Yet !!
But they need attention

Who will go in the cross hairs ???
Those who are here semi permanently..... or permanently.... w/o permission/compliance

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I love it how this debate always sparks hundreds of pages of chat in which half of the people claim they are legal even if they pay the Exit fee and the other half say they're not.

The reality is that there are easy-to-get residencies for anyone who has money regularly coming in from abroad. And very few other countries in the world allow people to stay longer than their visa allows and just pay a fee on exit. We know that the new government is saying they are going to shut down a lot of the loopholes and stop the corruption, and personally I can't see that it will be long before the exit fee disappears.

Reactions: El Rey de Mangu

user123

Aug 16, 2017
Funny how the people who have the residency want everyone else to get it too, because they have spent time and money they want everybody else to spend their time and money on it 🤣. Grumpy grumpy people, very unfortunate. Live and let live, somebody wants to be in DR 15 years without the residency, why do you care? Aaaah yes, it's the law. Grumpy grumpy people... 😂😂😂

Sep 22, 2009
In short, yes.
But the situation at hand between the two nations is far from short. As a foreigner, albeit with purchased residency, I would not expect you nor many to understand this in it's full scope.
Dear fine Sir, it is clear you have overlooked the profound depth and breadth of our community experts. How could you challenge the expertise of this savvy compliment of geologists, medical doctors, economists, physicists, attorneys, and, yes, paleontologists!

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
Paying the fee did not make your overstay legal. What happens from here on in with the new government saying they will
You're so desperate for a debate you're not really comprehending well. Someone said that once you return to the country you're still an illegal. That has to be the most ridiculous thing that's been written in this thread. Furthermore you're very invested into this because you feel like you've done everything correctly while we overstayers have not. I get your frustration no one wants to pay all that money, waste all their time; while we enjoy life without that hassle. You feel ripped off and you should. You lost money and time. Ouch!

Reactions: Lobo Tropical

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

Mr. Windeguy, do you understand the context of General Migration Law 285-04, and how it applies to those Haitian nationals that are declaring themselves Dominican by birth (with/without documentation), and what they stand to gain/lose from it?

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
Funny how the people who have the residency want everyone else to get it too, because they have spent time and money they want everybody else to spend their time and money on it 🤣. Grumpy grumpy people, very unfortunate. Live and let live, somebody wants to be in DR 15 years without the residency, why do you care? Aaaah yes, it's the law. Grumpy grumpy people... 😂😂😂
LMAO I was just writing something very similar to this

Sep 22, 2009
I love it how this debate always sparks hundreds of pages of chat in which half of the people claim they are legal even if they pay the Exit fee and the other half say they're not.

The reality is that there are easy-to-get residencies for anyone who has money regularly coming in from abroad. And very few other countries in the world allow people to stay longer than their visa allows and just pay a fee on exit. We know that the new government is saying they are going to shut down a lot of the loopholes and stop the corruption, and personally I can't see that it will be long before the exit fee disappears.
Jeez Paul, agreed for once. And you didn't even have to consult your gubmint rain maker contacts. Bravo sir. This could be the start of a wonderful relationship. Like given!

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Dear fine Sir, it is clear you have overlooked the profound depth and breadth of our community experts. How could you challenge the expertise of this savvy compliment of geologists, medical doctors, economists, physicists, attorneys, and, yes, paleontologists!

I do not know of the legitimate resumes of the geologists, medical doctors, economists, physicists, attorneys, and paleontologists on hand, at the call, that designates them "experts"........
......but I do profoundly thank you, and Mr. Bob Saunders for the consistent references to the benefits of fresh fruit intake.
I have stepped up my personal consumption of such, and I must admit, I believe it has assisted me during these scary Covid times, when many find themselves feeling quite vulnerable.

Sep 22, 2009
Stop trolling every thread it's annoying
Thank you. Now please spend a decade on this board contributing invaluable local knowledge instead of being a hater with 175 posts of less than diplomatic or entertaining content. Make it a great night Andy!

Status
Not open for further replies.