What will be the total economic impact on the DR from the COVID19 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I had one and decided it's just another way clinics can ream you for money.
Yeah maybe I'll die of colon cancer but I won't die under anesthetic with a camera snaking up my back side.
That is not an uncommon occurrence in elderly patients at all. Of course I'm not elderly yet but even so I'm avoiding the shizel up my nizel.
Once was one too many.
Besides why worry about colon cancer - Covid is going to get us all !
Does DR not have Cologuard?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I have been watching the real-estate market lately and have seen less downward movement than I would anticipate going forward. I expect there to be some realy opportunities in the next 6-12 months as businesses fail and peoples reserves dissipate. I am not at all happy to see this however as opportunities present themselves I will be more and more interested in looking to capitalize.
It is a rare that I ever agree with this individual on anything. But in this case I believe that the outlook he presents when it comes to the real estate market has merit. When I say "I believe" I mean it is my opinion. And opinions are not facts. But from what I understand the reality of a decline is going to be in the offer you make on the property not the asking price. I don't believe opportunities present themselves in markets. You do your homework, your leg work and you find them for yourself. In my opinion, this is especially valid in the Dominican Republic.
I do not apply emotion to markets. Markets go up and markets go down. "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered". - Gordon Gekko

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No, William, I googled it and found nothing. Are you telling me that if it was posted on Dr1 it is accurate. I am not saying it isn't true but I, as often as possible try to post a supporting article. Damn man Rip Van Winkle, I' not THAT old,,,,,yet
was the NYtimes ........

DR1 doesn't make up the news.... they just convey it to you....

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
was the NYtimes ........

DR1 doesn't make up the news.... they just convey it to you....
I saw it to and actually posted it on another thread. Its a policy suggestion but often these things end up materializing. To me it underlines what I have said that the pressure on DR also comes from the outside especially the US. When we expats here complain about the tough DR measures it is often the international community influencing it. Not sure if that made sense lol

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Well if it was stocks I would say you missed that window in March.
I bought several and am enjoying the upside. I have one which is up 334% and pays me a 44.5% dividend based on my purchase price. My mistake was not buying 5 times as much when I bought that one.
Yes I lost on a few trades but I think i will keep looking for bargains, unless Joe Dementia kills the rally.
So at least there was that positive note for me.

Let me know if you find any bottom feeder prices on a low mileage SUV, I may be up for a trade

Gorgon who used to be here on DR1 found my SUV for me. He did a good job and located one just south of Santiago.If you want I can pm you his cell number.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
It is a rare that I ever agree with this individual on anything. But in this case I believe that the outlook he presents when it comes to the real estate market has merit. When I say "I believe" I mean it is my opinion. And opinions are not facts. But from what I understand the reality of a decline is going to be in the offer you make on the property not the asking price. I don't believe opportunities present themselves in markets. You do your homework, your leg work and you find them for yourself. In my opinion, this is especially valid in the Dominican Republic.
I do not apply emotion to markets. Markets go up and markets go down. "Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered". - Gordon Gekko

You should try to agree with him more often than not. He is a much more reliable source of information for you expatriates, here within the RD, than Gordon Gekko. I have yet to observe where the poster Garyexpat has purposely misled any person. He is usually 100% correct with his observations, and assertions. Many should exhibit more caution with the words you choose to agree with, and then follow.
But in the end, it is your choice how you so choose to live your proper life.
Don't complain afterwards.

Reactions: El Rey de Mangu
Sep 22, 2009
You should try to agree with him more often than not. He is a much more reliable source of information for you expatriates, here within the RD, than Gordon Gekko. I have yet to observe where the poster Garyexpat has purposely misled any person. He is usually 100% correct with his observations, and assertions. Many should exhibit more caution with the words you choose to agree with, and then follow.
Well we know this old gem. Some members say things in a way that make others uncomfortable. "Things" being the truth. Most folks only are reading to find something that agrees with their poor misinterpretation of life here in DR. This, as opposed to reading to learn something. They hate being wrong. They are afraid. Afraid of what? Afraid of loss of what they value and hold dear.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Well we know this old gem. Some members say things in a way that make others uncomfortable. "Things" being the truth. Most folks only are reading to find something that agrees with their poor misinterpretation of life here in DR. This, as opposed to reading to learn something. They hate being wrong. They are afraid. Afraid of what? Afraid of loss of what they value and hold dear.

How does one live here for years, and not.......

1. Have the phone number to their local colmado?

2. Have contact info for emergency utility persons (electricians, plumbers, exterminators, tanico cleaners)

3. Know where their local clinica is located?

4. Know how much the ATM machines disburse?

5. Know which direction the wind blows?

No, this is not in response to NEW persons to the land of the RD, but just view some of the postings from over the last several weeks, and these topics are touched upon by tenured members of this very community.
Either Covid has made everybody's brain go soft, or ignorance, truly must be bliss.

Meat

Aug 3, 2020
DR
How does one live here for years, and not.......

1. Have the phone number to their local colmado?

2. Have contact info for emergency utility persons (electricians, plumbers, exterminators, tanico cleaners)

3. Know where their local clinica is located?

4. Know how much the ATM machines disburse?

5. Know which direction the wind blows?

No, this is not in response to NEW persons to the land of the RD, but just view some of the postings from over the last several weeks, and these topics are touched upon by tenured members of this very community.
Either Covid has made everybody's brain go soft, or ignorance, truly must be bliss.
Ok...I'm new and I had it made until the way the wind blows....damn :)

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas
Sep 22, 2009
And....not speak the language. Asking for an English-speaking plumber.
That made my night. Those are my favs. Mostly seen on everything sites asking where to buy organic products and defending their rights as gringos. Queue Daniel Paredes plis:

"Yo le hablaba en español y ella solo sabia ingles
Yo la besaba en la boca y ella me decia "oh yes!"
Y todo lo que le hable siempre me lo contesto
Siempre la misma respuesta y no la enttendia yo

No speaky spanish mi love, no speaky spanish mi love
No speaky spanish mi love, no speaky spanish mi love.

Yo le hablaba en español y ella solo sabia ingles

No speaky spanish mi love, no speaky spanish mi love."

Reactions: Fulano2

Meat

Aug 3, 2020
DR
That made my night. Those are my favs. Mostly seen on everything sites asking where to buy organic products and defending their rights as gringos. Queue Daniel Paredes plis:

"Yo le hablaba en español y ella solo sabia ingles

Yo le hablaba en español y ella solo sabia ingles

No speaky spanish mi love, no speaky spanish mi love."
You guys are killing me hahaha. Glorious and thank you!

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Reliable source of information implies facts. And when someone present facts that can be confirmed independently I pay attention. When someone gives their opinion or makes a claim that a causal association exists when it does not then I do not feel the need to agree. Maybe you do. Because that is the advice to me in your response. But in the end, it is your choice how your choose to live your proper life. And I have no complaints.
I prefer not to give advice to other grown human beings. Unless they ask! But as you state, that is my choice. Now, I am still trying to find how your response to my post relates to "What will be the total economic impact of the DR from the COVID19??" But when I am allowed access to the off topic forum maybe it will become clearer. Do you have any insights for me on how the real estate markets will be affected in different part of the DR by COVID-19? Because although it would be speculation I would be interested in reading that.
I have been watching the prices of properties in several areas for many months. And I have not seen a drop in asking prices. Have you?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Reliable source of information implies facts. And when someone present facts that can be confirmed independently I pay attention. When someone gives their opinion or makes a claim that a causal association exists when it does not then I do not feel the need to agree. Maybe you do. Because that is the advice to me in your response. But in the end, it is your choice how your choose to live your proper life. And I have no complaints.
I prefer not to give advice to other grown human beings. Unless they ask! But as you state, that is my choice. Now, I am still trying to find how your response to my post relates to "What will be the total economic impact of the DR from the COVID19??" But when I am allowed access to the off topic forum maybe it will become clearer. Do you have any insights for me on how the real estate markets will be affected in different part of the DR by COVID-19? Because although it would be speculation I would be interested in reading that.
I have been watching the prices of properties in several areas for many months. And I have not seen a drop in asking prices. Have you?
Although your questions regarding reading the future, verifying facts, accepting or giving advice, receiving absolutely true forward thinking ideas, etc. seems complex and daunting , the answer is simple. All you need to do is to get a copy of tomorrow 's financial news today. Does that work for you? Remember you heard that here first and that is a fact!

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Although your questions regarding reading the future, verifying facts, accepting or giving advice, receiving absolutely true forward thinking ideas, etc. seems complex and daunting , the answer is simple. All you need to do is to get a copy of tomorrow 's financial news today.
The problem with your response is that it is a non response. I was not looking for answers. I was looking for ideas from other posters about the actual topic. Not self improvement advice.
Would your answer be the same to everyone on in this particular thread contemplating the economic effects of COVID-19 on the DR economy? Or for that matter all other subjects on DR1 that involve speculation?
Get a copy of the tomorrows news today! What a great idea (NOT). All future speculation on any topic can now be resolved with your answer. Close thread.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The problem with your response is that it is a non response. I was not looking for answers. I was looking for ideas from other posters about the actual topic. Not self improvement advice.
Would your answer be the same to everyone on in this particular thread contemplating the economic effects of COVID-19 on the DR economy? Or for that matter all other subjects on DR1 that involve speculation?
Get a copy of the tomorrows news today! What a great idea (NOT). All future speculation on any topic can now be resolved with your answer. Close thread.
LOL. You come to a public forum board of opinions from expats. Is that you're best shot of getting to a valid question without apply any of your own critical thinking or historical background? That fine by me and no skin off my back. "Close thread" because nobody can you a map of where the gold is buried? I am actually laughing while I write this. Thank you for putting a smile on my face! Have a blessed day and remember to hold onto your day job.

Status
Not open for further replies.