Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Although RD is going backwards a bit just now...... overall not a bad performance
Considering the intractability of the population

They seem to be trying now.... albeit in an infantile fashion

Wear a mask -
Yes... they wear it riding their moto...
it looks like they don't know why they wear it... but they wear it - as instructed

The physical distance ?
Few if any, island cultures are good at that
Nor are the Fr/Cdns............ Montreal is shut down now.
Swedes... don't seem to group much..... must be the frigid winters !!!.... hahaha

Reactions: aarhus

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Plenty of non compliance here. I could walk around all day without a mask and nobody would stop me, until I tried going into a bank or store.

But that is a big difference. You cannot go to any store, bank, supermarket without a mask here. I see the news in Miami with packed bars and restaurants no mask necessary to enter.

Reactions: aarhus

pmcd

Apr 7, 2018
Problem with that is there is a lag between infections and deaths.

Even when you take that lag into account mortality is way down, virtually everywhere. The PCR test was, apparently, never meant to be a diagnostic tool, but rather a research aid. Very few countries have provided rates for false positives and false negatives. Testing is a really weak link in all of this. The test which measures the two types of antibodies seems interesting, but few have access to it. There is something very strange about PCR detected cases almost at peak levels in many countries, yet lethality has continued to drop. In Canada cases, but not deaths, as detected by PCR testing are going through the roof. But deaths are extremely low. The government has terrified the population into accepted whichever measures it chooses to implement. This is true for the national and provincial governments. As for masks, there seems to be no data supporting them for respiratory diseases. They may do something, but it’s not clear what. Nevertheless, a lot of people feel they help. I have no problem with that, but I really have my doubts. Getting proper testing, early treatments, etc... is, to me, more important. I don’t understand why an Ivermectin cocktail is not being widely used, especially in the RD which has it widely available. The other thing which is really important is vitamin D. There is now real evidence that this lowers mortality dramatically. Unfortunately, it is a pain to get your levels tested ( lab, bloodwork, etc...). This should be made simpler. There are even home tests for it in the UK that you can buy on Amazon. Unfortunately, not permitted in my country, as far as no ( neither in the US). The regulations and bureaucracy makes it almost impossible to control your life. It’s all a bit crazy. In terms of deadliness, the numbers seem to be approaching those of bad flu seasons. Meanwhile, children and small businesses are being ruined. It’s no longer possible to have a rational discussion with people regarding the virus, at least in Canada. It would be nice to find somewhere warm where the crazies aren’t running the show.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
pmcd, it almost like you feel human rights are being violated by some intentional international over evaluation of the actual death rate of Covid-19.

They could easily keep this up for years.

Reactions: Big

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Although RD is going backwards a bit just now...... overall not a bad performance
Considering the intractability of the population

They seem to be trying now.... albeit in an infantile fashion

Wear a mask -
Yes... they wear it riding their moto...
it looks like they don't know why they wear it... but they wear it - as instructed

The physical distance ?
Few if any, island cultures are good at that
Nor are the Fr/Cdns............ Montreal is shut down now.
Swedes... don't seem to group much..... must be the frigid winters !!!.... hahaha
Compared to many other countries the DR is doing a great job with illness and deaths.
In my view the numbers are much better than just "not bad".
People here are safer than in the US which has the world's worst record of illness and deaths.
Maybe we can get some tourists out of this after all.
"Want to be safe then come on down to the DR where we have very low Covid numbers."

Masks on motos keep the bugs out of your mouth.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Compared to many other countries the DR is doing a great job with illness and deaths.
In my view the numbers are much better than just "not bad".
People here are safer than in the US which has the world's worst record of illness and deaths.
Maybe we can get some tourists out of this after all.
"Want to be safe then come on down to the DR where we have very low Covid numbers."

Masks on motos keep the bugs out of your mouth.

RD has the highest number of deaths in the Caribbean

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
Could that be because they are larger than the other islands in the Caribbean? Greater population? How do the percentages compare?

Cuba is the largest at 128% bigger than Republica Dominicana and has one tenth of the deaths in comparison to Republica Dominicana

user123

Aug 16, 2017
Screenshot-2020-10-03-Estamos-Atentos-on-Instagram-Lo-maaah-duuuroooo-del-Caribe.png

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Some countries/islands have boxed themselves into a corner claiming to be Covid free and go back into lockdown it seems as soon as there are a few cases. It seems to me the DR has found a reasonable middle ground.

Reactions: CDNBear

kcdmps

Dec 6, 2014
Am I reading this correctly: post by user123 shows 2,095 deaths in DR but post by CDNBear shows 194??? A big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.