Current state of Toque de Queda/ shutdowns/ curfews

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
..the prices rising regularly..is the thing I have noticed most..every trip to the grocery store things are more expensive..yesterday at nacional Baileys Irish cream that was $800 pesos is now $1096 pesos, a good bottle of rum had the same increase...In this economy thats a sign of inflation.. the peso is worth less, on a more positive note Presidente beer is coming out with a new flavor GOLDEN LIGHT..I am holding my breath for that one...........

“Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old, and when you do you'll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.”​

Not meaning this as a criticism as you just wrote your observations.

Folks who can afford Baileys and a good bottle of rum are not much worried about a bit of an increase.
As I get older I too find myself annoyed by price increases and laughed at by my kids as living in the 90s.
I did not think it was that long ago. Still have some shirts from the 90s.

Dominicans here are worried about the price of an egg, a handful of rice and a tablespoon of cook oil which is exactly how many in the barrios get by on a daily basis.
I was shocked when I saw poor folks buy exactly that from the local colmado in Villa Altagrassia.

Not many fatsos in the barrios.
I know a few Dominicanas moved to the US and it was not long before they developed a weight issue after new hobby became going out to eat.
Now they complain the restaurants are closed other than take out which ruins the "dining experience"
I try not to laugh.
Living la vida loco.

Reactions: PCMike and USA DOC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I was out on Sunday and the streets/sidewalks of Sosua were extremely busy. Lousy aggressive drivers and pedestrians everywhere. Grocery stores were doing a steady business as was the pharmacy. Prices seem to be rising regularly and inventory of some items is severely lacking and not being restock as quickly as it was in the past. What really struck me was the number of people moving about, jostling with each other for space in the shops and comadores (sp?). Basically people everywhere you turned. Most wearing masks but not all and not a lot of distance being kept by the majority of people. It was a free for all at most service counters. If the business wasn't managing the customers, then there was no physical distancing being observed.
Sounds like pandemic fatgue has set in. Took a lot longer than I expected.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The tourism focus is on the AI resorts. Curfews have little effect on them.
Perhaps SKY would be able to provide us with the arrivals by airport? I'm really curious as most flying into POP and STI probably are heading down to an AI at P.Cana???

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I expect those results will show a tremendous number of flights to PUJ.... few to POP & STI

Yes, it would be interesting to see.....

Not ONE Cdn flight to POP or AZS
UAL apparently is starting to cancel January POP schedules

My guess is PUJ will quite a bit ahead.
Let's get passenger arrival not flights...... big or small planes

I hope we see it - October numbers should available soon

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Perhaps SKY would be able to provide us with the arrivals by airport? I'm really curious as most flying into POP and STI probably are heading down to an AI at P.Cana???
I think you are probably joking there, but I personally know of a large number of regular snowbirds heading for their usual apartments/houses on the north coast as soon as flights from Canada to POP resume.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ask your personal friends if they are out on the street much after 9pm....

Those types of visitors eat home somewhat.... aren't 'bar hounds' .....
Older, married, retired...... late night disco dancers ???
I don't think so

Reactions: NanSanPedro

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Today flights arriving at PUJ: 12 flights from the US. 4 flights outside of the US {one was from Paris, one from Panama, one Birmingham UK, and one from Beef Island, wherever that is.

Puerto Plata arrivals today: 3 flights, 2 from JFK, and one from Miami.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A related topic...

My local 'joint'.... small outdoor restaurant/ bar.... has never been busier...
He told me 2 hrs ago.

I don't buy all this restaurants going down the drain hype talked by some
Again.... tourist joints.... most likely.... but the whole town is suffering

Not a pandemic 'going broke'.... IMO

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Today flights arriving at PUJ: 12 flights from the US. 4 flights outside of the US {one was from Paris, one from Panama, one Birmingham UK, and one from Beef Island, wherever that is.
The national October results will help here....

a breakdown by airport...passengers, not flights

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
C.R.,
Not my job to be punitive. I would only complain if there were some advantage to me. For example standing in a bank line and people getting too close. I want in the bank so I have no choice but to stand in line but I should not have to accept someone breathing on the back of my neck. Same at the grocery store. I have to pay for my groceries and while doing so I shouldn't have to contend with someone brushing up against me to get their cans of Ensure on the belt before the wet spot comes around again. Trying to buy some prepared food , I had already decided to pass on that location. Owner and employees serving the food had no masks and no organized line for service, so I was in and out pretty quickly. No point in complaining to someone who cares so little that they themselves aren't masked while dealing face to face with many people in a day. Much easier just to keep moving along when you can rather than taking an ideological stand even if it is for the good of the many. I prefer to limit my snitching to the cause of protecting myself when doing so seems like the outcome with be worthwhile for me. Confrontation should be avoided wherever possible in this country. It is sometimes hard to gage the reaction you are going to get. Asking someone to do something they don't want to do usually results in some sort of confrontation. That goes double for some of the American tourists experience has taught me. The locals seem to be a bit more willing to be accommodating usually if you are polite in your request for a bit more space.

Reactions: CristoRey

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
The national October results will help here....

a breakdown by airport...passengers, not flights
I can tell you this about flight load from my experience and experience of 2 friends. I flew back about a week ago into SDQ, flight was packed. I picked up a friend about a month ago who flew back into STI, his flight was packed. I saw a friend that flew in from Newark into POP about a week ago, packed. The airlines have to be happy with the seat load and I read on Listin Diario that more flights were just approved for I believe 4 different airlines.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Puerto Plata arrivals today: 3 flights, 2 from JFK, and one from Miami.
Thank you for the quick response.
I/ we appreciate it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I can tell you this about flight load from my experience and experience of 2 friends. I flew back about a week ago into SDQ, flight was packed. I picked up a friend about a month ago who flew back into STI, his flight was packed. I saw a friend that flew in from Newark into POP about a week ago, packed. The airlines have to be happy with the seat load and I read on Listin Diario that more flights were just approved for I believe 4 different airlines.
One thing to remember---- schedules are at 30% of normal flights...
hence more full planes - that's the plan for the airlines - try to make money w/ less passengers

My bet is the SDQ & STI flights are heavily Dominican - not tourist types

But -- we'll see

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Wow. Man it must be really tough for you living up there with all those people who've decided to just get on with living their lives. If I were you I would find another country to move to.... fast.
If and when WestJet starts flying into POP again that becomes a viable option. We'll see. I would prefer to wait out most the winter though.

Reactions: CristoRey

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
So why are the Ai's and airbnbs empty lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.