22% of all pregnancies are to teenagers

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Pregnancy-Pixabay-e1579045046320.jpg

The four largest public maternity hospitals in Greater Santo Domingo report 5,326 teenage births from January to October 2020. Santa Pérez, the coordinator of the Adolescent Unit of the Nuestra Señora de la Altagracia Maternity Hospital, the largest in the country, says that teenage pregnancies are more than 22% of all births. She says that most of the children are born to the poor. The maternity hospitals of Los Mina, La Altagracia, La Mujer and Reynaldo Almánzar, had reported 5,644 adolescent births for all of 2019.

Santa Perez told Diario Libre that the statistics show that pregnant teenagers are 23% of all pregnancies in rural areas, and 19.5% in urban areas. She explained the La Altagracia hospital in Santo Domingo sees between 100 and 200 new consultations of pregnant teenagers every month. She said in this year of Covid-19 many who have become pregnant have not sought...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So long as a grown man can bring a minor home to live in a “free union"
without having to marry her, I don't
expect to see these percentage numbers
dropping anytime soon.
In areas like the campos we may even see those numbers increase.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Would addressing some of this not fall under the new portfolio of the First Lady? If so, she certainly has her work cut out for her.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Would addressing some of this not fall under the new portfolio of the First Lady? If so, she certainly has her work cut out for her.
The act of men bedding young girls has been
part of their culture for hundreds of years.
I don't expect much to change in the near future.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Yes we’ve established that. But back to my point, in regards to Arbaje, and taken from the DR1 article here:

https://dr1.com/forums/threads/raquel-arbaje-kickstarts-children-adolescent-cabinet.395378/

“She is coordinating the work of the National Council for Children and Adolescents (Conani), and the ministries of Women, Public Health, Education, Labor, Sports, Culture and Youth”

So it makes sense this would be an issue that falls under her umbrella (that will not require her to handle public funds, of course).

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The act of men bedding young girls has been
part of their culture for hundreds of years.
I don't expect much to change in the near future.
And young girls impatient to become a woman and a mother. But we just had that discussion a couple of weeks ago.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes we’ve established that. But back to my point, in regards to Arbaje, and taken from the DR1 article here:

https://dr1.com/forums/threads/raquel-arbaje-kickstarts-children-adolescent-cabinet.395378/

“She is coordinating the work of the National Council for Children and Adolescents (Conani), and the ministries of Women, Public Health, Education, Labor, Sports, Culture and Youth”

So it makes sense this would be an issue that falls under her umbrella (that will not require her to handle public funds, of course).
Making sense out of nonsense.
I like it.

Reactions: Auryn

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
And young girls impatient to become a woman and a mother. But we just had that discussion a couple of weeks ago

Young women are entitled to "being bedded" by whomever they like.

Just like you they are free to choose a sex partner.

What is concerning is unnecessary pregnancies and the spread of stds.

The DR is a predominately Catholic country and has an influence stopping birth control methods being taught.
This creates a number of unnecessary pregnancies and spreads stds.
In this day and age there is no sensible reason for surprise pregnancies.

You are not going to stop sex but it is not difficult to slow the disease spread.
Add into the mix that papito makes tracks fast when the baby shows up.
Babies having babies is never a good thing.

The Catholic churches here are dripping in gold while the parishioners walk to Sunday services to contribute money and the priests preach the rhythm method to congregations that have a hard time feeding their families.
Young girls having kids ensures they will remain poor.

Only my view but have all the sex you like with whoever you like but do not get sick or pregnant.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm guessing you're a Dominican?
He’s not. But my question is what age are these young Dominican women?

Does the DR have an age of consent? (I’m serious, because I don’t know). Can a guy claim a 11 or 12 year old consented, making it okay if she testifies she consented?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Does the DR have an age of consent? (I’m serious, because I don’t know). Can a guy claim a 11 or 12 year old consented, making it okay if she testifies she consented?
I was trying to be nice by giving
him the benefit of the doubt.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
There are a few things that almost ensure a life of not being able to rise out of the lower classes . Teenage pregnancy, neck tattoos, missing front teeth and a 7th grade education

Reactions: Ezequiel

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Age of consent is 18, the same as the age of majority, to vote....etc. https://www.ageofconsent.net/world/dominican-republic I had the horrible experience when I was 17 of being investigated for statutory rape of my sixteen year girl friend who was only 5 months younger than me. Fortunately for me the police were able to talk her father out of pursuing it. Stupid law when it comes to two teenagers, totally different case than a much older adult with a teenager.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Age of consent is 18, the same as the age of majority, to vote....etc. https://www.ageofconsent.net/world/dominican-republic I had the horrible experience when I was 17 of being investigated for statutory rape of my sixteen year girl friend who was only 5 months younger than me. Fortunately for me the police were able to talk her father out of pursuing it. Stupid law when it comes to two teenagers, totally different case than a much older adult with a teenager.

Laws are usually written such that below the legal age the child is incapable of consent, ie what they say does not matter.

18 for the DR is unrealistic.
If the schools would teach the destructive life altering impact on the mom of having kids early It might help.
I am not in the least opposed to the sex but vehemently opposed to the unnecessary pregnancy.
The DR has a complete ban on legal abortions other than saving the life of the mother.
Hello Catholic church, welcome home abortions on the kitchen table.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Laws are usually written such that below the legal age the child is incapable of consent, ie what they say does not matter.

18 for the DR is unrealistic.
If the schools would teach the destructive life altering impact on the mom of having kids early It might help.
I am not in the least opposed to the sex but vehemently opposed to the unnecessary pregnancy.
The DR has a complete ban on legal abortions other than saving the life of the mother.
Hello Catholic church, welcome home abortions on the kitchen table.

We are glad the DR values the life of the unborn. I'm sorry you don't.