Curfew Tightened Considerably

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
All stores and businesses have to be closed by the curfew hour. If you're just hanging out with a group of friends after that, I think you';ll have a problem.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The article says nothing about how long the extension of the curfew will be in effect. Here in Sosua, expect that local businesses (especially restaurants and bars) will continue to be shut down and that it will be business as usual on the beach.
Just some patience and the times were announced. SOE's are 45 days at a time, while curfews extended within them a little at a time. Jan 11 until Jan 26, and then again and then again. For what I expect will be great part of 2021. There is a pattern here after all.

[Through Decree 7-21, the Executive Power indicated that the measure will take effect from Monday, January 11, until the 26th of that same month.]

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Because the government is not stupid.
They know if they were to come out and
say "curfew will remain in place until we
roll out vaccination program(s) this May" , it would
not go over well with the general population.

I'm hearing from multiple sources the PN are
already tired of having to arrest (otherwise) law
abiding citizens and a statement like that may
very well be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Yes, fully agree with you. They have already SOE place until March, so conveniently, they have not put any dates at all to the curfew news, as if they "ignored" it... Today it was announced that Abinaber would speak on the 16th... See what happens...

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Oh no Ken... don't try using logic here...... you'll get clobbered

If people would just adjust... like being scanned at airports after 9/11....life would have a chance at normalcy
Thanks for your concern, but we have both been on DR1 for a very long time. Getting clobbered by those inclined to do so is a not something I worry about.

We both know that decision makers here care not al all about the complaints or the advice coming from posters on DR1

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Instead, it may reinforce the government's resolve to continue the current hours.. If the police are being kept busy enforcing the curfew then it means the citizeins and residents are still not following the rules.

Wide spread voluntary observance of the rules may be what is needed o loosen the controls, not a vaccine
The rules are the problem, not the people.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

If people would just adjust... like being scanned at airports after 9/11....life would have a chance at normalcy
That's not true.
Logic is always welcome on DR1.
However opinions may and often do vary.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yesterday was down considerably.... we shall see
What was down?
As far as I can tell, the curfew really doesn't start until the end of the grace period to transit home. My neighbors seem to be using this time as a free extension and not arriving home until the last possible moment, or later sometimes. If employees need more time to get home after work I can understand that, but generally it is being used as more time to gather and do things that should stop when the curfew begins. The curfew start times are pretty much meaningless. The curfew itself doesn't seem to be having the desired effect. New cases after the holidays are way up as expected.
I wonder if the influx of tourist from NYC
and other parts of the world have anything
to do with the increase?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Except people's living is not affected by going through airport scanners.
William might you feel differently if your pension was cut in half tomorrow or perhaps cutoff altogether because of this toque de queda ?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Except people's living is not affected by going through airport scanners.
William might you feel differently if your pension was cut in half tomorrow or perhaps cutoff altogether because of this toque de queda ?
That's not a conversation those living on pensions, retirement or investments from abroad are willing to have.

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
Every now and then, I see a few here spouting great amount of sympathy for the working class of the Dominican Republic. The rules, acccording to these, are rendering life hell for the ordinary tom, dick and harry ( ahem, Luis, Ricardo y Jose). Problem is that DR1 is an English speaking/reading/thinking site and por supuesto, has a reader base with a very different economic agenda and resources. Not sure why that fact eludes these friends of the proletariat....

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Every now and then, I see a few here spouting great amount of sympathy for the working class of the Dominican Republic. The rules, acccording to these, are rendering life hell for the ordinary tom, dick and harry ( ahem, Luis, Ricardo y Jose). Problem is that DR1 is an English speaking/reading/thinking site and por supuesto, has a reader base with a very different economic agenda and resources. Not sure why that fact eludes these friends of the proletariat....

Some of us have lived with Haitianos and Dominicanos. We've experienced the despair they sometimes feel. When the government worsens that despair, it make us angry.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
in

Well said. Add to this that quite a lot of DR1 regulars don't actually live in the country, and more still hardly speak any Spanish and don't know many Dominicans other than a few chicas.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not sure you know who the real friends of the proletariat are.

• Love
Reactions: Caonabo and jd426

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Sir, why does it bother you that ex-pats voice support for wage earners. Many ex-pats are retired business people that understand the cost and trickle down a closed business does to people.

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE

Well, reading into it and no further; in this country the above demeanor is exactly described as "prepotencia."

The fact that there is an economic precipice between most locals and the rest of us English speaking/reading/thinking DR1 fans, that doesn't detach the human decency of feeling for those who can not help themselves?

Please do take me as an innocuous being.

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
Well, reading into it and no further; in this country the above demeanor is exactly described as "prepotencia."

The fact that there is an economic precipice between most locals and the rest of us English speaking/reading/thinking DR1 fans, that doesn't detach the human decency of feeling for those who can not help themselves?
Understandably, my thoughts could be "misconstrued" as "prepotencia". However, you would be right in stating that living in a different economic bubble should not deter one human being feeling for another. The fact is for these "sympathizers", there is an ulterior motive. Besides, if one is so inclined, one might as well write to the editors of the local language publications, if one is able to cobble a few sentences together. Certainly that would carry more weight than these crocodile tears in a publication that caters to a community that has very little vested interest.

Reactions: Michael DR
Status
Not open for further replies.