Vin Diesel's shirt fires up social media

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Meets with a President wearing a T-Shirt, typical Hollywood disconnect. The old saying its better to over dress than underdress is a thing of the past.
It is not typical of anything.
If this were typical behavior it would not be news worthy.

If the presidents front men had done their job they would have anticipated this and told Vin a jacket is required.
Guys like Vin need to be reminded of social conventions.

Vin is a poorly educated college drop out who prior occupation was night club doorman.
Not to denigrate all night club doormen.

As long as movies with brainless plotless car chases and artificial impossible stunts are popular Vin will have a job but I doubt he will be meeting with the president in the future.
Clueless Vin did not understand that the whole purpose of the meet was so the president could get a photo op.

Ignorance is what it is and no need to make an effort to blame Hollywood in general for Vin being Vin.
What else did you expect?

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
I wouldn't have done it myself, but at the end of the day some people are more bothered than Abinader was.

Kim K could come sleeveless, heck shirtless, they would all be drooling....

Next
Out of respect for her right?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Very disrespectful. Its not complicated to wear an appropiate shirt.

What's next? Wearing tank tops, swimming shorts, and sandals during a wedding? Maybe wearing speedos is appropiate during a business meeting. Why not go naked to church? If clothing doesn't matter... Except they do!

Stroll into a bank or government office within RD, and see the all too common attire for expatriates.

Reactions: Big

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Stroll into a bank or government office within RD, and see the all too common attire for expatriates.
yes indeed, and then they wonder why they get poor service. Unless you are hitting an ATM a shirt w/ pants is the minimum uniform to conduct business.

Reactions: Caonabo

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
I see some people are indeed hung up on how others dress. I find it petty, but so be it.
Different strokes for different folks.
Agree 100%
yes indeed, and then they wonder why they get poor service. Unless you are hitting an ATM a shirt w/ pants is the minimum uniform to conduct business.

I rather walk into any bank in shorts and t-shirts and able to have/draw substantial amounts in/from my accounts, than pretend to have anything by "dressing up" and have pettiness for savings.

But to each its own.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The president of any country is just another person. I have zero reason to grant them any additional "respect" by changing my clothes for their benefit.
That is just how I think, I see others do take this so seriously. I realize there are dress code requirements to enter certain public buildings and I have no choice to but to go along with them when I enter such locations.

It's not like meeting the "Queen of England" but even then...
To each their own.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One time I was at City Hall in Santiago accompanying an aunt and I waited by the stairs with a view of the central garden and the top of some of the highrises in La Trinitaria. A man in a tank top, shorts, and sandals walked in (he was Dominican though, though probably a Dominican York because no other types of Dominican men would go to city hall dressed like that). Before he could make it halfway in he was approached by a security guard who said something to him and then pointed to a list on a wall that said what was not appropriate attire. The man had no choice but to make a 180 degree turn and leave the building with his flip flops, tank top, and shorts. lol

• Love
Reactions: Big and Caonabo

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
One time I was at City Hall in Santiago accompanying an aunt and I waited by the stairs with a view of the central garden and the top of some of the highrises in La Trinitaria. A man in a tank top, shorts, and sandals walked in (he was Dominican though, though probably a Dominican York because no other types of Dominican men would go to city hall dressed like that). Before he could make it halfway in he was approached by a security guard who said something to him and then pointed to a list on a wall that said what was not appropriate attire. The man had no choice but to make a 180 degree turn and leave the building with his flip flops, tank top, and shorts. lol

50% of the problem is that some expatriates believe that because they are on vacation or retired from life, that they can so do as they please, not understanding the cultural norms within the RD.

50% of the problem is that some expatriates do not speak the native language, so they would not even know what the sign on the door or exactly what the security person is attempting to explain to them.

100% of the problem is the ever present feeling of stuffy, self-entitlement some expatriates possess, while being within a foreign nation.

As life teaches us almost constantly, some can make it difficult for all.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Not a suit in sight !!! Dr1 probably thinks they are a couple of losers.

Stuck in the 80's much ??😆😆😆😆

1612038448857.png

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Not a suit in sight !!! Dr1 probably thinks they are a couple of losers.

Stuck in the 80's much ??😆😆😆😆

View attachment 4074

Add to that

Steve Jobs
Mark Cuban
Simmon Cowell

and the list goes on.

I'll take their life style any day.

Reactions: windeguy

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Ok, it s cultural faux-pas... Didn't we all do it at least once?

Once again the man is an actor, not a business man.

The Do and Don t of any culture is a learning curve.

The feeling of self importance of some, after 20 millions trips is comical. Dominican are far more tolerant and understanding when a gringo does these faux-pas.

Reactions: Russell and DRob

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
I do laugh at the fact that many in the DR would spend their hard earned monies (and they don't earn that much to begin with) in name clothing. I mean, some of these folks won't wear anything that doesn't have a Ralph Lauren logo (although most, if not all, are Chinese fakes), they all want to shine a Dolce Gabbana fashion and Ferragamo shoes.

That makes their egos feel more secured.

Ask them about the house they own, of course they don't own any.

Ask them about their paid off vehicle, wait, they may not even have one and if they do, its probably behind a few payments.

But hey, let us have the drawers full of Chacabanas and Polo's, that would show'em respect!

Priorities, a very confused term around here.

Reactions: wayne and windeguy

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Agree 100%

I rather walk into any bank in shorts and t-shirts and able to have/draw substantial amounts in/from my accounts, than pretend to have anything by "dressing up" and have pettiness for savings.

But to each its own.
You should have saved more when you were younger.

Big

Apr 24, 2019

The feeling of self importance of some, after 20 millions trips is comical. Dominican are far more tolerant and understanding when a gringo does these faux-pas.
Low class and little sophistication can be spotted a mile away. Table manners I have seen on the North coast at restaurants make me want to vomit or at least move to another table. An adult man dressing like a teenager is never appropriate

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
50% of the problem is that some expatriates believe that because they are on vacation or retired from life, that they can so do as they please, not understanding the cultural norms within the RD.

50% of the problem is that some expatriates do not speak the native language, so they would not even know what the sign on the door or exactly what the security person is attempting to explain to them.

100% of the problem is the ever present feeling of stuffy, self-entitlement some expatriates possess, while being within a foreign nation.

As life teaches us almost constantly, some can make it difficult for all.
As most of the tourists are gone....why not get the expats to leave with them........

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I'm still amazed that anyone gives 2.25 shits about what someone else is wearing. I would say get a life, but I'm afraid it's beyond that.
I hear ya, I am sure I am brain washed. After so many years in business a jacket and tie was the norm and wearing a uniform in the service you were always judged on appearance. I can't imagine going so casual with distinguished company. It is really a new trend the "business casual" concept. I now can wear a shirt w/o a tie on occasions and/or a polo/golf type shirt with the company logo. Most of the business hotels in St Dom Hodelpa and Marriott the gentleman will be wearing a collared shirt, pressed pants and polished shoes, unless they are going to the pool. A dress shirt and pants goes a long way here unless of course you are hitting the beach

Reactions: Caonabo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It’s interesting to me how the comments are divided in this thread. I’m American. My first thought was “with everything going on in this world right now, THIS makes news?” I mentioned it to Mr AE, who is Dominican but has lived in USA 45 years. He snapped! I got the whole
disrespectful speech. I admit it surprised me how strongly he felt about it.

This is a guy who lives in shorts, sleeveless shirts and flip flops at home (both countries) but that Dominican sense of decorum was drummed into him as a boy I guess. None of his brothers would ever dress down like he does. They come to the campo like it’s a work day, long pants, dress shoes and all.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

I started to respond, and it became too long winded, and just was not worth it in the end.
I just got in (to this home) and I have to get the fire started. Not a need, but rather a want.
I owe you a message of information, so I will include that within my response to this.
Have a lovely evening, and enjoy it, as you so see fit....as always.
Stay warm. Stay safe. Stay cool. :cool:

Reactions: Africaida
Status
Not open for further replies.