BREAKING NEWS : Republica Dominicana to remain on the red list for UK travellers.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
It has been the same over and over. The border situation with Haiti will not change. We were told get the vaccine and travel would be "more" open to you. But that is not true. I got the vaccine (both Pfizer shots) and traveling is the same headache. Yet I am protected so they say. I have traveled 4x since vaccinated and it is the same as previously, vaccinated who cares. I leave Monday again to SDQ so lets see.

Are you coming from the UK though?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Remeber, JetBlue now flies to Heathrow

POP to LHR is possible......LHR flights are 7pm - 10pm (2)... 12 hr flight

You have the DR red zone issue.....quarantine.... but you're there !!

Yes, but you have to pay £2500 to be locked in a hotel room on your own, only allowed out for a brief walk around the car-park, with a security guard outside your door. It's just like being in solitary confinement in a prison, except you are paying. Nobody is going to do that.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
No, they only flew about four return flights last December since the start of the pandemic.

Yes you can, for example you could go to the US for two weeks and then to the UK. UK citizens are allowed into the US provided they haven't been in the UK / EU in the last 10 days.

Nobody is allowed to enter who has been in a red list country in the last 10 days, apart from UK nationals who have to stay in a quarantine hotel. So as a Danish citizen you wouldn't be allowed to enter the UK if you had been in the DR in the last 10 days.
In December I actually travelled SD - Miami - London, Heathrow to Copenhagen. In the US and UK I was allowed to be in transit. But March I travelled back here train to Hamburg then flight to Madrid and then to SD. If I go again to Denmark I would go via Madrid again. It worked out well with Iberia.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Yes, but you have to pay £2500 to be locked in a hotel room on your own, only allowed out for a brief walk around the car-park, with a security guard outside your door. It's just like being in solitary confinement in a prison, except you are paying. Nobody is going to do that.
I don't know why people would do that? If I needed to go to the UK, I would book a direct flight to Spain, stay 11 days there quarantine free, then fly to the UK. But I would really NEED to have to go. IE family emergency.......

I would rather have a mini holiday in Spain than spend two grand on going to prison. I've heard that the food in the quarantine hotels is awful as well. They use the airline caterers, not the hotel kitchens.

Reactions: slowmo

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't see many Brits at all on the North Coast. Not even the ones with residency, maybe they are all older and don't get out as much due to Covid fears.
Too bad because they are quite sociable, dry funny and always down for a pint. (but horrible tippers)
You'll be pleased to know that as a Brit with Residency and fully vaccinated, I am frequently seen about on the north coast. I fit your description and will accept a pint if offered. I would be grateful if you do the honours if you wish a US sized tip to be paid.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I don't know why people would do that? If I needed to go to the UK, I would book a direct flight to Spain, stay 11 days there quarantine free, then fly to the UK. But I would really NEED to have to go. IE family emergency.......

I would rather have a mini holiday in Spain than spend two grand on going to prison. I've heard that the food in the quarantine hotels is awful as well. They use the airline caterers, not the hotel kitchens.

Exactly. Anywhere but a quarantine hotel. And there are no direct flights to the UK in any case, so you would have to pass through another country to get there.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Exactly. Anywhere but a quarantine hotel. And there are no direct flights to the UK in any case, so you would have to pass through another country to get there.
I wouldn’t consider going via UK to Denmark during this of course. Via Spain is much better. Also not considering anymore spending time in England.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Please post directly on the British Embassy facebook DR page,

Olly
This was their reply to the above post ::
Hello XXXXX, We attempted to message you some days ago, and hope this message reaches you well. We thank you for your letter, and acknowledge your concern regarding the matter of the Dominican Republic’s red-list status. We recognise this is a difficult situation for all those involved, and are deeply sorry for any difficulties it may cause. Having said this, we would like to clarify that as an Embassy we are not involved in - nor do we have any authority over - the decision-making processes regarding the red list. The same is true for our Ambassador. As such, we do not have the ability to provide information on the list beyond that which is published on our website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list. Decisions surrounding the red list are made directly by the government in the UK, based on concrete scientific data gathered by public health authorities. We understand that as you seek concrete answers, the fact that we do not have it in our power to grant them must be frustrating. We sincerely apologise for this. Furthermore, we would like to thank you once more for expressing your concern, and encourage you to message us at any time should you have any other questions. We will gladly answer any question as best as we can with the information we have at our disposal. Regards, British Embassy Santo Domingo

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well at least I had a reply.

Olly

Reactions: slowmo

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
This was their reply to the above post ::
Hello XXXXX, We attempted to message you some days ago, and hope this message reaches you well. We thank you for your letter, and acknowledge your concern regarding the matter of the Dominican Republic’s red-list status. We recognise this is a difficult situation for all those involved, and are deeply sorry for any difficulties it may cause. Having said this, we would like to clarify that as an Embassy we are not involved in - nor do we have any authority over - the decision-making processes regarding the red list. The same is true for our Ambassador. As such, we do not have the ability to provide information on the list beyond that which is published on our website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list. Decisions surrounding the red list are made directly by the government in the UK, based on concrete scientific data gathered by public health authorities. We understand that as you seek concrete answers, the fact that we do not have it in our power to grant them must be frustrating. We sincerely apologise for this. Furthermore, we would like to thank you once more for expressing your concern, and encourage you to message us at any time should you have any other questions. We will gladly answer any question as best as we can with the information we have at our disposal. Regards, British Embassy Santo Domingo

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Well at least I had a reply.

Olly
Clearly its all the fault of secret concrete scientific data.

• Haha
Reactions: drstock

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Attachments

• 10F7AEFF-3E75-4806-874A-1BA64296B91A.jpeg
    10F7AEFF-3E75-4806-874A-1BA64296B91A.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 125

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I contacted the British Ambassadorin DR some time ago on the issue of Dr being on the red list but he did not reply. I really don't think he has the British Citizens interests at heart. Pity that he does not concern himself with us on the North Coast.

Olly
Don't ambassadors to various countries have the interests of their home countries at heart and not so much expats from those countries?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I read somewhere that the red list is going to be reduced to a much smaller number later this month - only about ten or so, as far as I remember. Unfortunately the article didn't say which ones, but surely if the article was right the DR must go to the green list.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The changes are always made on a Wednesday or Thursday. Last month they got delayed because of the cabinet reshuffle, but the new list will be announced on either Wednesday or Thursday, usually late in the afternoon.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
So far , the Amber & Green lists have been merged
As fa as I know.... the new 'Green' ones have yet to be announced

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The new Red List will be announced today..... might be as few as 9 on it
================================

The travel red list is set to be slashed today with South Africa, Mexico and Brazil among the destinations tipped for removal.

As few as nine countries could remain in the category from which travellers are subject to a 10-day stay in a quarantine hotel at a cost of up to £2,285 per adult on arrival to the UK.

Grant Shapps, the Transport Secretary, is due to deliver an update this afternoon, which follows the removal of 32 countries and territories from the Foreign Office advisory against all but essential travel due to Covid-19.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
The UK has reviewed the Red List and the DR is one of only 7 countries left on it! Grant Shapps, the UK Transport Secretary, should be asked to explian this decision after all that DR has achieved.

Olly