Moving from France to DR

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
some times there is another option... a flight from santo domingo to havana..2 problems with this, its on a cuban airline. and the cost used to be more than double than flying on Copa to panama..........
The good news is that Panama seems friendly to my passport too. So that does open up an avenue, thanks

Reactions: USA DOC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Aah, well actually I would need to do visa runs to countries that allow me entry without a visa. I would need my DR residency before I could apply for visas to neighbouring countries from the DR. But you are right, I will need to look at all the countries around DR and have a list of "friendly" ones - there could be really great ones, not just Cuba (who only recently decided my passport wasn't so bad after all and thus allow us to enter sans- visa for a short visit)
From what country is your passport?

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
If you have a Schengen C/D or US visa, normally you do not need a Colombian tourist visa to enter Colombia and this exemption is also valid for 90 days.
Uuugh, my US visa expired in May 2020 and they are not issuing new ones just yet - but it is definitely on my to do list as soon as they do. My Carte de Sejour for France may or may not be cancelled when we leave the EU ... still undetermined. Covid has been a bugger for rules and changes to said rules.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy posted that - 5 yrs of residency in a country qualifies you
Otherwise... citizenship country
------------------------------------

REQUIREMENTS​

• Passport valid for a minimum of six (6) months.
• Residence Visa (RS).
• Birth certificate unexteded.
• Four (4) recent photographs, of the same set: two (2) front and two (2), right profile, size 2×2, white background
Certificate of No Criminal Record of your country of origin or of the country where you have resided in the last five (5) years.
• Marriage certificate, declaration of singleness or proof of living together, apostilled or legalized.
• Guarantee policy contracted with the insurance company authorized by the DGM (Dominicana de Seguros)
• Medical examinations, in one of the institutions authorized by the DGM.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The good news is that Panama seems friendly to my passport too. So that does open up an avenue, thanks
When traveling to cuba all we did was change planes in Panama city airport... at that airport the people at immigration made it clear to my Dominican wife she could not leave the airport...but panama city is a good place to visit, the airport is new and the downtown has all the tall glass buildings... seems to be alot of money there, and the panama canal is next to the city.......

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Windy posted that - 5 yrs of residency in a country qualifies you
Otherwise... citizenship country
------------------------------------

REQUIREMENTS​

• Passport valid for a minimum of six (6) months.
• Residence Visa (RS).
• Birth certificate unexteded.
• Four (4) recent photographs, of the same set: two (2) front and two (2), right profile, size 2×2, white background
Certificate of No Criminal Record of your country of origin or of the country where you have resided in the last five (5) years.
• Marriage certificate, declaration of singleness or proof of living together, apostilled or legalized.
• Guarantee policy contracted with the insurance company authorized by the DGM (Dominicana de Seguros)
• Medical examinations, in one of the institutions authorized by the DGM.
We have police clearance for all the countries we have lived in for the past 5 years, thankfully. Our application to DR will be done in France where we currently live.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Thank you for the add. So here goes ... my husband is in the process of finalizing an offer to move to Santo Domingo and I have a few things I would like your input on. Apologies in advance for the long list, and I am sure nobody will be able to answer them all, but your opinions would be hugely appreciated.

1). Which shipping companies have actual representation in DR? So full offices there - I would be shipping a 20 footer and would prefer the same company both ends and not have agents, unless of course there is a company there who are really good agents to other shippers.

2) I will not be moving with kids this time around, but with a dog (toy poodle) - so don't need accommodation near schools HOWEVER I don't want to socially isolate ourselves by living in the "wrong" area. For example living in Ghana we found that there were 2 main areas ... of course, others were great too - but traffic was absolute hell and thus if you lived on the wrong side of a certain traffic circle you would sit for hours just to visit friends, who mostly lived in one of the other 2 main expat suburbs. Which areas would be most suitable and or upmarket - are there stand alone houses, or gated communities in these areas? I currently live in an apartment and would absolutely love to NEVER have to live in one again (unless no other options of course)

3). I see there is an IKEA and other international shops - would you rank them as outrageously expensive? Is there anything that is very difficult to get, or prohibitively expensive, that you would suggest I bring? I am sure linen may be a stumbling point - not sure if DR follows US bed sizes or other. I would obviously need a whole restock of my electronics with the voltage difference, do you buy them in DR or better to ship in via online shopping?

4). Now this one is a little tricky. It's a long boring story thanks to Covid, but I MIGHT have to do the visa run for a few months until I can apply for residency permits. Husband will have full permits from the get-go. My passport permits me to visit visa-free for 90 days, I would then need to leave and return and get the next 90 day stay. My question - are flights to Cuba taking place at the moment? Is it easy to get out and back to DR and is there a minimum stay-away requirement? I will not do anything illegal of course.

5). Perhaps a daft question, but do you get large-size clothing and shoes, I am just shy of 6foot tall. France (and Asia before) have very petite sizes with no shoes over an EU41 for women - and then rarely even that. I wear a 42 (US10, I think it is). I have the opportunity of buying in the UK or Netherlands, but would prefer not to as the clothing will no doubt not be made for DR humidity.

6). Does unfurnished housing come with white goods, curtains and overhead light fittings (France for eg. generally has no lighting in rooms except the kitchen and bathroom)?

7). Is it easy to import pets? We will have the necessary documentation from here, but do dogs clear easily at the airport (arriving in cabin) - or would money need to change hands to make the system move?

8). Is it common to have live-in housekeepers, or would helpers live off-premises generally?

9). I have read about power shortages as well as water supply interruptions. Do houses generally come with generators/inverters and water storage? Is it even necessary?

If you are still reading, thank you, I know this thread is rather long-winded and there may even be more questions later. I do hope our move is finalised soon and I am able to meet you in person in a few months to thank you.
You can get an electrician to install a dual voltage supply. It's a simple job, alternatively buy a 230v to 110v inverter.
Don't worry about visas, just overstay and pay a penalty on leaving, around 4000 pesos for up to 6 months overstay I think. I've been doing that for a long time.
No white goods in unfurnished house, let alone light bulbs
You need to buy locally an inverter and deep cycle batteries for power cuts. Size depends on what you run. Often you'll need to pump water into a tank on the roof.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The residency process begins at the DR embassy in your home country. If you do not complete this process before you move, then you will have to go back home when you are ready. Going to Cuba to renew your 90 days will not be of much use to you for residency purposes.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
You can get an electrician to install a dual voltage supply. It's a simple job, alternatively buy a 230v to 110v inverter.
Don't worry about visas, just overstay and pay a penalty on leaving, around 4000 pesos for up to 6 months overstay I think. I've been doing that for a long time.
No white goods in unfurnished house, let alone light bulbs
You need to buy locally an inverter and deep cycle batteries for power cuts. Size depends on what you run. Often you'll need to pump water into a tank on the roof.
Hi there thanks for your input, but we have already arrived and did so with all the legal paperwork done prior to arrival. I am not a fan of overstaying or contravening rules - which are generally there for a reason, right? We did ditch everything with a plug that couldn't "step down" and once we get the housing sorted, then we will start replacing those items that are needed - if you have a suggestion of reliable stores in SD that would be most useful. As it stands it looks like I will be living in an apartment for my sins :) so hopefully the building will have backup generator and water supply sorted.

May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
The residency process begins at the DR embassy in your home country. If you do not complete this process before you move, then you will have to go back home when you are ready. Going to Cuba to renew your 90 days will not be of much use to you for residency purposes.
Yip, got it all sorted before we left France. All good and paperwork has been submitted in SD for the local portion - just a waiting process now I imagine. My greatest issue is the DR driving license and when that will arrive - ho hum, patience!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Yip, got it all sorted before we left France. All good and paperwork has been submitted in SD for the local portion - just a waiting process now I imagine. My greatest issue is the DR driving license and when that will arrive - ho hum, patience!
That will arrive when you get Residency and pass the driving test. The former is a labyrinth or red tape, the latter a piece of cake.

Reactions: OnTheRoadAgain

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Where is your last Drivers license from. The rules are different depending on what country you are coming from. Americans have to take a rast....etc. As a Canadian my embassy just gave me a letter stating my British Columbia drivers licence was valid and I only had to take a blood test and eye test and was issued a Dominican licence.

Reactions: Lobo Tropical
May 19, 2021
Santo Domingo
Where is your last Drivers license from. The rules are different depending on what country you are coming from. Americans have to take a rast....etc. As a Canadian my embassy just gave me a letter stating my British Columbia drivers licence was valid and I only had to take a blood test and eye test and was issued a Dominican licence.
Yes, I am hoping I can just convert my current license and not do the whole application. Do you know where I can find a list of which countries they allow conversions from? I have converted my license in various countries and the though of needing to pass a test (no doubt in Spanish) gives me palpitations .. too old for that :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, I am hoping I can just convert my current license and not do the whole application. Do you know where I can find a list of which countries they allow conversions from? I have converted my license in various countries and the though of needing to pass a test (no doubt in Spanish) gives me palpitations .. too old for that :)
If you could convert your licenses to other countries before, you can probably do it here. I would ask the country where you are now if they will certify your current driver's license. The US will not do that, so we Americans have to take the test. A foreign license is valid for 90 days.